New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer

The party reconvenes at the town's crossing. They have four flasks of Alchemist's Fire and one cold iron sword. Arcatek looks ridiculous in a winter coat, but the man said it was snowing in the woods.
    Last edited by Phantom Genius; 2020-10-10 at 12:05 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine wears her bounty like a prize and presents the 4 flasks of alchemists fire proudly. She takes one for herself and distributes the rest. Her outfit hasn't changed much. She still wears a heavy fur coat and this time even pulled up the hood. She does actually wear footwear, but it's only thin slippers that can't possibly protect against the cold. I'd say Majid should probably go Forward. Because you have the sword. Nods Raydine towards the paladin.

I'd like Felix behind us to protect us should we get ambushed by the fey and let the rest of us spread out a bit in the middle. We should find the cart soon enough and perhaps from there we can find out a bit more. Then, let's go! Raydine strides enthusiastically forward, humming a little tune on the way.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry for taking the lead so aprubtly. You can of course still protest or do something differently. It was merely a suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

3. - Top - End - #33

DwarfClericGuy

I haven't heard from Spore, so there may be no Felix. We can press on though. Your lead is a good lead.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Majid bows slightly. Of course. It is my honor and privilege to take the lead. Let us be off! Great deeds await!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano looks at the flask skeptically, but stows it in her pack. She also passes out some torches if anyone wants them, and falls in behind the leader, parka ready to be cinched up once they head into the snow.

6. - Top - End - #36

DwarfClericGuy

The edge of the woods where yesterday's attack happened, is but six miles away. The weather is warm as you approach, with only puffy, white clouds in the sky, but looking into the woods ahead, you see snow in the trees and only heavy, gray clouds overhead, as if winter and summer are at war and you are standing at the border. (Dresden Files reference there for all my friends.)

Unrelated to the shiver you feel when the wind blows from that direction, please make Perception checks.

Arcatek Perception
    (1d20+5)[11]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Felix
    Aasimar Hospitaler Paladin
    AC: 16 HP: 12/12
    touch: 11, ff: 15, CMD: 15
    Conditions: -

I would love to take point. the human knight says, secretly hoping his gallant leadership would win him the heart of the fair maiden in question.

May all who oppose us under Lymnieris' protection be vanquished by our thrusting blade. he says, winking to the half-orc and undine alike.

Spoiler
    Show
    So is Alhallor DMing now? I have no landline internet until end of the week. Also Majid has the sword, but also Con 8 and there less HP. I should take the brunt of the damage, and he should deal the hurtin' due to his formidable strength.

Last edited by Spore; 2020-10-11 at 11:51 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano stops for a moment and looks at the strange boundary between summer and winter. She knew, intellectually, that something was out there, lurking, but her eyes kept getting drawn back to the bizarre sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[3] not the most perceptive witch

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Splendid! Between the two of us any foe foolish enough not to flee shall fall swiftly. When they rach the odd point, Majid looks around for witchcraft, opening his senses to the smell of evil. By the Dawnflower, let me see the unseen foe. Evil shall not hide from our retribution by lurking in shadows, for the sun's light burns away the darkness.

Show
    Casting Detect Evil. Also, Perception (1d20+1)[10].

Yeah, Majid rolled poorly for Con, so he is not a tank. Having Felix draw blows and Majid chop people down is a good strategy.

10. - Top - End - #40

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Felix

I would love to take point. the human knight says, secretly hoping his gallant leadership would win him the heart of the fair maiden in question.

May all who oppose us under Lymnieris' protection be vanquished by our thrusting blade. he says, winking to the half-orc and undine alike.

Spoiler
    Show
    So is Alhallor DMing now? I have no landline internet until end of the week. Also Majid has the sword, but also Con 8 and there less HP. I should take the brunt of the damage, and he should deal the hurtin' due to his formidable strength.

No, I am running it. I am concerned though that you won't have internet all week and you didn't roll a Perception check. Can you still post regularly on your phone/laptop?

And who is the fair maiden? The missing Lady or one of her would-be rescuers?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine looks wideeyed towards Felix and says. Or that, I'm not really trained like you two, I'm sure you can ascertain the situation better than me. On the way towards they're destination Raydine puts her hair up and binds it in a knot, revealing her fin-like ears. She fidget's around a bit and with a thin iron nail she helds her algae green hair in place. That should work, do you see that? Raydine points towards the clouds who seem to be battling.

She shivers slightly when the cold wind blows but it seems she can't tear her eyes away from the sight. And there I thought the weather is always boring. Doesn't that one kinda looks like a fairy? She points towards one of the grey clouds, oblivious to her surroundings for that moment.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Rolled a 6 in the OOC.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano squints at the suspicious cloud. "Looks more like a dragon to me," she says, finally. "See the long tail?"

13. - Top - End - #43

DwarfClericGuy

The ominous fairy dragon looms overhead, barely shifting form, but possessing a level of menace that few clouds you have seen can muster. Before discussion can proceed on meteorological phenomena, a mottled green and brown lizard lunges from the undergrowth, (NOT the frozen forest) attempting to puncture Majid's leg and drag him to certain and horrible death. There is little chance of her missing the unaware hero, but her teeth grind only on the armor he wears.

You are all within 25'. Whoever reads this first, you win initiative. Then progress from there. The lizard (AC 15, touch 12) goes last. Arcatek will go after the DM sleeps for eight hours.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine squints and says I think you're right, but the wings still seem kinda fairy-like, are there dragon fairies? It seems right after the question is asked a monster runs towards the group and attacks Majid. Raydine's shock subsides soon and her clear and enchanting voice raises over the battlefield while she draws her crossbow.

Harm won't be done by teeth or claw. You're scales reveal they're fatal flaw!

Show
    Inspire Courage as a Standard Action so +1 to Hit and Damage for everyone, sadly except Arcatek because he's a construct. Drawing the crossbow as a move action. I like the initiative ruling. :)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Majid draws his greatsword and brings it crashing down on the lizard, though it's standing too close for a proper swing and je goes wide. He takes a step backwards to assume a fighting stance. Back, foul beast! Have at you!

Show
    Power attack with the greatsword and 5-foot step. (1d20+4)[8] to hit, (2d6+9)[19] damage.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-10-13 at 09:37 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano leans on her spear and glares at the beast through half-lidded eyes. She points at it, and then in Orcish, she mumbles, "Fool beast. Teeth-break. Lock-jaw." Her cat peeks out of the hood of her parka where it's been resting and matches her glare at the beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cursing it with Evil Eye, giving it -2 to attack rolls for 6 rounds unless it makes a will save, DC 14. Then it's just one round.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Felix

That is a whole lot of bravado for someone who just carved the dirt. Felix says and smiles at the Suli. He himself takes on a more secure stance. He could try to ram the creature into the ground like his taller compatriot, but he decides for a finer maneuver.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Genius View Post
    No, I am running it. I am concerned though that you won't have internet all week and you didn't roll a Perception check. Can you still post regularly on your phone/laptop?

And who is the fair maiden? The missing Lady or one of her would-be rescuers?
    Web will be back on the evening of the 21st of October. Until then I have to stretch my remaining 700MB of mobile data. It can manage GiantitP without much issue even after that, also I have overlooked the Perception check. The lady is mean to be the lady to be safed, but Felix is basically taking anyone who wants to bed with him eventually.

Perception (1d20-1)[4]
    Also Attack vs lizard (1d20+5)[16]+1 from Inspire
    Damage (2d6+6)[12]+1 from Inspire

Last edited by Spore; 2020-10-13 at 03:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Perception (1d20+2)[4]
    Also Attack vs lizard [roll1]+1 from Inspire
    Damage [roll2]+1 from Inspire
    The lizard's eyes glaze over for a second as it partially resists the curse, then go wide with the sudden pain of Felix's blade. It was hungry before, but is now frantic in its desperation to survive. As it rears back to strike, Arcatek fires his very small crossbow into the melee (-4).

(1d20+2)[4]

The bolt goes wild into the underbrush, perhaps critically hitting a dung beetle. "More practice is needed for this to be effective," Arcatek notes aloud.

The lizard strikes desperately at Felix, hoping one snap of the teeth will be enough to provide a meal and send the rest of you running. Its cursed teeth find nothing but air between Felix's thighs, however. A few inches higher and there might be no more ladies in Felix's future.

Back to the top. You awake, Alhallor?
    Last edited by Phantom Genius; 2020-10-14 at 05:11 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The beast was still alive after Felix hit it with his sword. Raydine stopped singing, but thanks to her training, the good hope her song provided was still lingering in the air. She loaded her crossbow and felt nervousness clawing up her throat. Raydine fought it down and was relieved that Felix didn't seem to have been hit.

Hopefully she would hit better than Arcatek.

Show
    Attack: (1d20-1)[7]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[7] Thanks to Lingering Performance, the +1 is still active for 2 additional rounds. Move Action to load the crossbow and Standard Action to fire. Reporting for Duty, though not hitting that well.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-10-14 at 06:27 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano bursts into action as well, levelling her spear and charging at the injured lizard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge attack: (1d20+5)[15], dmg (1d8+3)[5]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

For a moment, Majid looks angry. Then he bursts into a booming laugh. Hohoho! Let us make it a challenge then, pretty boy! See which of us can slay more of the foe on this little excursion. He swings the sword again.

Show
    Attack (1d20+6)[18] damage (2d6+7)[15]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Felix

Yield your weapons, this fey may not be hostile. Felix points out. The faerie dragon could've easily swooped down and assisted but seemt more interested than hostile.

Are you a friend. Felix asks, shouldering his blade and extending his arm. If you can aid us... damn does anyone know how to speak with these critters?!

Spoiler
    Show

No attack, but trying to concoct a situation that allows for a diplomacy roll.

23. - Top - End - #53

DwarfClericGuy

(I'm going to focus on the combat and see how Spore edits his post.)

The lizard had not anticipated Hatano's charge and wasn't prepared to be punctured precipitously. As it considered retreat, it failed to avoid Majid's brutal strike. It hissed briefly as the greatsword came down, then its lung was punctured and its leg nearly severed. It instinctively went to retaliate on one or all three, but had no strength, no breath...no blood... It slumps to the ground, dead or bleeding out.

Feel free to chat for a moment before I describe the snowy forest. Does anyone not have winter coats or boots? You see several inches of snow in your future.
    Last edited by Phantom Genius; 2020-10-16 at 06:58 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine frantically reloads her crossbow but when she raises her weapon again the lizard that attacked them stopped moving. By the gods, are you alright?

Raydine quickly looks for obvious wounds and can't find any. That seemed really close, but we did it! I think we should go further, but what's with you three, wanna take a short rest?

Asks Raydine the three that were in melee with the surprising lizard.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano looks down at the lizard. "These things don't usually attack travelers. The unnatural weather has surely driven it to madness. All the more reason to hurry."

26. - Top - End - #56

DwarfClericGuy

<Feel free to keep roleplaying. I'm just going to put this here and go get some sleep>

Near the forest, the temperature grows noticeably colder. The road ahead is littered with debris and the corpses of slain humans and horses. A carriage stands in the roadway, its team of horses missing or cut free, while another overturned carriage lies sprawled and broken next to the tree line. To the south, more bodies have fallen around what appears to be a statue of ice. A snowy trail leads deeper into the forest.

If one of you starts poking around, I will need to know where everyone is. Arcatek is not one of the first three to poke around, nor is he staying behind alone.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Felix

Knowing better than to try and gauge the situation at hand, Felix does what he does best. He tries to delegate jobs to those more suitable. Hatano, you worked as a healer. Aside from violence, what did these people in? And why did they bother to kill the horses too?

Felix advances and tries to climb into the overturned carriage to check for any survivors. Is there anyone left? Hello?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano takes her gloves off and squats down by the bodies to examine the wounds. Were they made by weapons? Claws? Teeth? Have they been chewed on by scavengers since death? Are their valuable still there? If so, she removes them and stows them in her pack for safekeeping.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[15] heal to do autoposy/forensic stuff? IDK. Going to get all Harrier DuBois and see if the wounds are from weapons, natural casues, or if they're disguised. Also checking for valuables to see if their assailants were thieves or not.

29. - Top - End - #59

DwarfClericGuy

I need a Perception check from Felix and I need to hear where Majid and Raydine are.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When the strange site is reached Raydine is stunned and in shock, her gaze fixated on the dead bodies. When Felix calls out she is shaken out of her state, and ventures to look at the border of winter and summer, going back and forth of both sides. That is so weird.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Trying to find out if Raydine knows anything about this strange phenomenon? Bardic knowledge (1d20+1)[19] if it's any knowledge it's another +1 and I'm considered trained.