New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer

As he cleaves the zombie's head off, Majid turns to Felix with a smile. Looks like one each. Hopefully those that caused this will serve as a good tiebreaker.

He becomes more somber as he turns back to the carriage. He helps his colleagues drag the fallen to the pyre, including the poor frozen man, then stands and prays in a commanding voice. Merciful Sarenrae, we consign the souls of the fallen to your care. As the holy fire consumes and purifies their bodies, let their souls find warmth as well in Your mercy. Dawnflower, may Your light shine eternal on the families of these poor people. By Your most glorious name do I swear that those responsible for this shall be brought to justice, dragged from their dark lairs to be scoured by the light of truth. Holy Sarenrae, shelter eternal the innocent, and guide my blade to the guilty. He steps back and watches the fire burn.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine was relieved when the last undead fell and helped Arcatek in the grim work of burning the bodies. Hatano's remark stung but she was probably right. They would experience even more severe cold if they would get deeper into the forest.

When Majid began to pray, Raydine listened and helds her head down. When the paladin ended and Raydine raises her head again they are some small ice crystals on her face that she quickly brushes away. She sets down her backpack, wraps her whip around her body again and takes out the alchemist fire and a small buckler that she straps to her left arm. When she shoulders her backpack again it seems like an almost grim determination has taken hold of the undine.

Let's follow this trail, we will make fire under these cold fey behinds and see how they like it. With that she begins to trod on through the snow with her barely clothed feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Any thoughts on the fancy dresses or the sword and swordarm encased in ice?

Your words are very moving, Majid.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Felix
    Aasimar Hospitaler Paladin
    AC: 16 HP: 6/12
    touch: 11, ff: 15, CMD: 15
    Conditions:

Felix nods in respect. We do make quick work of such abominations if the path is clear. If we want to be effective, you guys stand aside and aid us, while we do the dirty work. he explains as much to the others as to Majid. Well done guys.

A damned shame these people never got to experience the highs and lows of their lives. Whoever is responsible will pay. Felix says unenthuastically. It feels like he is incapable of strong emotions. Raydine noticed while her song inspired the human knight to greatness, it did not warm his heart. In fact the attractive young man turns to the blue-ish woman.

I thank you for your inspiring presence.
    He bows.
    But I would advise you to take hostile encounters more seriously next time. Your ice magic worked great, but dousing the undead is not what I call a tactical move. But I must thank you for your healing. he smiles coldly, though you can tell his voice is without mockery. It seems something else is keeping his heart occupied. He kisses Raydine on her cheek as a thanks*.

The knight turns to the north. This is only the beginning, I am afraid. Undead like these are just made to dull our blades, to sap our strength.

Spoiler
    Show
    *Please tell me if this kind of RP is okay with you. I will RP Felix as a quite physical dude that respects borders, once they are declared.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine is stopped in her advance by Felix. His tactical advice is appreciated and so he can tell him without overflowing emotion: Oh, I didn't realize it was... One of the unliving at the moment. But even then, I can only control water, not ice. As far as I know at last. I wanted to shock the possible human out of it and if it was more serious I could make a barrier to protect you.

The undine kisses Felix back on the chin.* Thanks for cheering me up. I needed that.

While striding forward again Raydine stops for a moment then produces these sound again that sounds like she is humming underwater and directs it at some ice, a bit farther away to see if she can also manipulate that to rise up.

Spoiler: *
    Show
    No problem on my part. Though Raydine may jump heavily between reactions that means it's hard to set a border, because she would probably jump over it the next day, laughing.

Spoiler: Ice manipulation?
    Show
    The text specifies water. I copy it in to let our DM decide if ice can be manipulated too. Perhaps for 2 bardic Performances instead of one? Or as a Feat?

At 1st level, a watersinger can use bardic performance to manipulate and control the shape of water within 30 feet. A successful Perform check allows the bard to animate and control a 5-foot-cube of water. The watersinger can command the water to take various forms, bend, rise, fall, or sustain a shape, and can make it support weight as if it were solid ice. For example, the watersinger could create a pillar of water (to provide cover), ladder, channel, bridge, stairs, slide, and so on. The manipulated water is as slippery as normal ice. This ability cannot create forms more fragile or complex than what could be carved in normal ice. While under the bardÂ’s control, the water has hardness 0 and 3 hit points per inch of thickness. At level 3, the manipulated water gains hardness 1, and this increases by +1 for every 3 bard levels beyond that. At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, the volume affected increases by an additional 5-foot cube (these cubes must be adjacent to each other). The manipulated water retains its shape for 1 round after the bard stops spending bardic performance rounds to maintain it.

This ability replaces fascinate, suggestion, and mass suggestion.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

6. - Top - End - #126

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alhallor View Post

Spoiler: Ice manipulation?
    Show
    The text specifies water. I copy it in to let our DM decide if ice can be manipulated too. Perhaps for 2 bardic Performances instead of one? Or as a Feat?

At 1st level, a watersinger can use bardic performance to manipulate and control the shape of water within 30 feet. A successful Perform check allows the bard to animate and control a 5-foot-cube of water. The watersinger can command the water to take various forms, bend, rise, fall, or sustain a shape, and can make it support weight as if it were solid ice. For example, the watersinger could create a pillar of water (to provide cover), ladder, channel, bridge, stairs, slide, and so on. The manipulated water is as slippery as normal ice. This ability cannot create forms more fragile or complex than what could be carved in normal ice. While under the bardÂ’s control, the water has hardness 0 and 3 hit points per inch of thickness. At level 3, the manipulated water gains hardness 1, and this increases by +1 for every 3 bard levels beyond that. At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, the volume affected increases by an additional 5-foot cube (these cubes must be adjacent to each other). The manipulated water retains its shape for 1 round after the bard stops spending bardic performance rounds to maintain it.

This ability replaces fascinate, suggestion, and mass suggestion.
    Normally, no. Probably yes as a feat. Probably yes if everyone is going to die otherwise.

7. - Top - End - #127

DwarfClericGuy

The bodies are finally all moved to the pyre, including the corpse ice sculpture. Arcatek appraises the sword when the ice is melted away and marvels at its quality. "This is masterwork craftmanship." The dresses seem to have value but prove difficult to appraise so Arcatek shoves them in a bag.

Marching order into the woods, please. Arcatek prefers not to stand next to the cat, although Hatano herself is perfectly wonderful.

Also, three perception checks each, that I will use going forward.

If you're returning to town for supplies instead, just tell me what you want.
    Last edited by Phantom Genius; 2020-11-05 at 05:59 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Marching order
    Show
    How About Majid and Felix on the front, Raydine and Hatano behind them and Arcatek covers our rear?

So like
    M F

R H

A

Spoiler: Perception checks
    Show

1 (1d20+1)[15]

2 (1d20+1)[14]

3 (1d20+1)[10]

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano follows the two paladins as they break trail through the snowy woods. She does take a moment to whisper to Majid. "Keep an eye on the boy. He'll end up taking a dirt nap if he ain't more cautious." After that she scans the woods looking for signs of more threats.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[15]
    (1d20+1)[17]
    (1d20+1)[16]

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Majid nods to Hatano. He has the cold iron sword out again, holding it at the ready as he looks around warily. Stay close. Watch for an ambush.

Spoiler: Perceptions
    Show
    (1d20+1)[3]
    (1d20+1)[10]
    (1d20+1)[10]

11. - Top - End - #131

DwarfClericGuy

The snow is thick and cold under your feet as you trudge along the path more than a mile.

Time for your first Fort save. Add 5 if you have winter clothes.

As it enters the full expanse of the Border Wood, the trail passes through a small clearing among the taller trees before continuing uphill and out of sight. A large chest lies half-buried in the snow, apparently dropped or discarded by those who hastily passed this way.

You perceive nobody else in the area.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano looks down at the chest. "They're abandoning their spoils. Perhaps the weather hinders them as much as it does us?" She pulls her parka closer. Despite it's warmth, the cold chills her to the bone.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[8] fort save. Natural failure...
    Last edited by dojango; 2020-11-07 at 07:29 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Fort save
    Show
    (1d20+4)[11] I only gave Raydine a +3 for Winter clothes, because of aforementioned missing shoes.

The fire burning in Raydine's eyes has been slighty diminished by her continuous trudging through the show. She also regretted her former usual appearance of wearing as little as possible on her feet, to not damage the webbing, but she would get through.

The chest they stumbled upon seemed really strange however.

I don't know that looks kinda suspicious to me… Arcatek do you have a small spell to lift the lid from afar? If not Hatano could you try to open it with your spear, because it has a longer reach? Nonetheless Raydine would load her crossbow and focus on the chest in case something would jump out of it.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-11-09 at 03:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Felix
    AC: 16 HP: 6/12
    Conditions:

You seem to be freezing, dear. Take my mantle, dear. The beautiful knight shrugs off his armor and pulls off his mantle, grabbing his linen undershirt as well and throws it off. For a short while, he is standing there barechested and let's people see and admire him. He smiles at Hatano before prying his flimsy tight shirt from the insides of the mantle and dressing up again. If the man were cold in this freezing air, he wasn't showing it.

In turn, I just ask you to help me don my armor again, milady. he adds with a cheeky smile, turning his back to her, asking for her to close the clasps on the backside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Getting a bit of RP from this roll, too.

That chest is indeed suspicious, my friends. But I would not think it a trap just yet. Felix approaches, drawing his blade to try and push the lid open.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[4] if Strength check +4, if Dex +1. I know a Greatsword is no reach weapon but seeing as the blades are usually about 5 foot long, I dont see why I could not at least try to push it open.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Majid looks entirely unconcerned by the cold as they walk. He smiles, taking a deep breath, enjoying the cool, crisp air. Those standing near him can see he doesn't seem to have goosebumps on his exposed skin, nor do his lips appear to be chapping.

When they reach the chest, he looks around warily. Why take the chest, if only to abandon it a short distance away? Stay close, comrades. Perhaps they think to attack while we are distracted, or perhaps the chest is trapped.

He hefts the cold iron sword and looks toward the trees.

Spoiler: Fort Save
    Show
    (1d20+5)[25]

EDIT: Rolled a 20 on the fort save, so edited for Majid not caring one bit about cold.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-11-09 at 12:56 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano is startled by Felix. She waves her hand in front of his face and stares intently at his eyes. "Felix, are you feeling dizzy at all? Nauseous? Is the light too bright? That blow to the head..." She sighed. Not only did they have to watch for him falling in battle after charging too recklessly against tougher enemies, now they had to worry about him acting bizarrely, too.

17. - Top - End - #137

DwarfClericGuy

furious Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer

After an hour trudging through six inches of snow, Hatano takes 4 points of non-lethal damage and Raydine takes 5-5 =0. The DC goes up next hour.

Arcatek says, "No mage hand. Detect Magic reveals...no magic here."

Felix's blade lifts the lid, shifting the chest ever so slightly and triggering a brutal trap. (Someone is trying to tell you that they don't want to be followed.) A huge log swings down from above, catching Feliz, Majid, and Hatano. Felix no doubt tries to deflect it or push the women out of the way, saving Hatano from a skullcrushing. (Natural 20, but wasn't confirmed on her.)

Felix takes 8 damage and is knocked out.
    Majid takes 8 damage and is barely on his feet.
    Hatano takes 6 and is lucky it wasn't 20.

Nothing else jumps out at you. There is no combat. Only pain.
    Last edited by Phantom Genius; 2020-11-10 at 05:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

--- Felix, Hatano ---

Well at least a nice sight, no wonder that Hatano acts flustered.

--- The trap ---

When Felix touches the chest, a giant log swaves near Raydine and scrambles Hatano, Majid and Felix, who doesn' seem to move. She stays in place for a horrified second and then rushes to the others. By the gods! She kneels down and scrambles through her backpack, finding nothing useful. Panicked she looks into the chest, perhaps there was some clothes she could tear into stripes to at least try to help Felix.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Damn, we have no luck.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-11-10 at 07:14 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139

DwarfClericGuy

You can certainly make a heal check to stop the bleeding, trained or untrained. There is nothing inside the chest.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano lies in the snow, shivering. It hurts, and she can feel warmth spreading through her body. Then she hears a voice in her head. *You're going to die if you don't get up, you know.* Would that really be so bad? She thinks. But then the cat starts clawing at her face. But everything is so warm... she feels like she could just go to sleep and rest.
    Last edited by dojango; 2020-11-10 at 10:39 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

The blow knocks Majid to the ground, ears ringing. He coughs, drawing air in ragged gasps. Probably broke a few ribs. He struggles upright, taking in the scene. He gestures to Raydine and Arcatek. We need to retreat, regroup back in town. Can the two of you drag him? He indicates Felix, then lifts Hatano up and across his shoulders. Let's get moving before anything shows up.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine looks in Horror when she sees Hatano's cat clawing at her face. Shoo! Stop that, if you need another back, take mine! When Majid takes Hatano up the undine nods and does her best getting Felix back with Arcatek.

It's okay, were gonna make it back and then we scorch the glittering behinds of these stupid ice fairys. See how they like it for a change! And then we get rid of these ungodly cold and bathe in a hot spring. That will be heavenly. Oh, are you okay submerged in water Arcatek?

Raydine continues either cursing they're adversaries or painting pictures of they're eventual victory, sometimes falling into Aquan for the heavy explicites. At this time she doesn't really look at her surroundings.

23. - Top - End - #143

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    The blow knocks Majid to the ground, ears ringing. He coughs, drawing air in ragged gasps. Probably broke a few ribs. He struggles upright, taking in the scene. He gestures to Raydine and Arcatek. We need to retreat, regroup back in town. Can the two of you drag him? He indicates Felix, then lifts Hatano up and across his shoulders. Let's get moving before anything shows up.
    Arcatek analyzes the situation.
    "Yes, probably. The chest is attached to a rope. Cut the chest in half and cut off all but 10' of the rope. Put his body and sword in the bottom of the chest and it can be dragged by the rope. That should maximize efficiency."

Breaking and dragging the chest reveals that the evildoers buried the guards' weapons and armor beneath it, presumably to retrieve later. It includes a masterwork chain shirt and a masterwork dagger, which should fetch an excellent price. Seven longswords and three light crossbows too, but you have a lot of weight to carry already.

Majid and Raydine will need to make the Fort save for the trip back out of the woods.

24. - Top - End - #144

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alhallor View Post
    It's okay, were gonna make it back and then we scorch the glittering behinds of these stupid ice fairys. See how they like it for a change! And then we get rid of these ungodly cold and bathe in a hot spring. That will be heavenly. Oh, are you okay submerged in water Arcatek?
    Submersion is not damaging to this unit.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That's good to know, we probably will make it, though it could be hard to find a hot spring that these damn icicles haven't frozen over.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Save and possible Damage.
    Fort: (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage; (1d6)[6]
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-11-11 at 07:03 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Majid tucks the crossbows, chain shirt, and dagger into his pack, then takes off through the snow back towards town. The cold seems harsher now, and it weighs on him more. Still, she pushes through, his genie blood protecting him from any actual harm. Hot springs would indeed be welcome. It is somewhat colder than I'd prefer. Qadira doesn't get this cold. It is an interesting experience, but perhaps a warm fire and some hot food would not go awry.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-11-11 at 02:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

DwarfClericGuy

Exhausted and frosted, the party works its way out of the frozen forest and back into the sunshine. A few hours later, Hatano wakes up, subconsciously shivering and looks around. Her lips are a little blue, but being held close to Majid's body heat helped. She can make the walk back to town, so the four party members work together to get Felix to the temple.

"My children! What has happened to you?!? Come in, come in!" says Elder Safander.

He channels positive energy and everyone heals some hp and nonlethal hp.
    (3d6)[13]

He doesn't ask for any gold for the channel. If you offered him a crossbow or something, he would accept. If you need a CLW on top of that, it will be the standard price.

"I would say Felix should rest here for the night, but I doubt he would accept," he intones.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Felix
    AC: 16 HP: 12/12
    Conditions:

Felix wakes up and lifts his head. He sees a broken and disillusioned group. He was going to make a joke about Hatano punching so hard as to break some ribs, but he just pushes himself from the simple pew he was laid upon. Okay, so now we know these folk don't play around. He rubs off some dried blood from the side of his mouth, and smiles at Hatano. I am truly sorry if I offended any of you. Our focus should be saving the innocent, not tempting fate or loosing ourselves in banter among us.

He shakes his head at the suggestion of bed rest. The kidnappers could be gone if we rest today, and thanks to your generous blessing all are as good as new. He triest not to inhale too sharply as not to strain his still aching ribs. We should press on, this time however EVERYONE should get appropriate clothing. He looks at Hatano and Raydine.

I suggest we take a small sled and put it on my horse Buttercup. She is no draft horse but she can manage a few dozen pounds of stuff.

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember Felix has a horse, and I intend to taking it with us.
    Also Felix heals 6 additional HP due to his special nature

Last edited by Spore; 2020-11-12 at 08:58 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When the healing energy spreads around the group Raydine only feels a nice little prickle but the effect of the others is astonishing. Wounds heal before her very eyes and both Hatano and Felix regain consciousness.

Raydine's eyes fill up with tears and she hugs Elder Safander for a moment before getting a grasp of her emotions. Thank you very much Elder, we try'd to get to the Bottom of the missing Lady Argentea, we met a wild animal who attacked us. When we found her carriage we got attacked by the undead. Raydine shiffers when she retolds the encounter.

Then we ran into a trap and retreated, thanks again for helping us!

Raydine nods at Felix words. You're right, we should press on. I will get my shoes. And try to get a good price for some stuff. Raydine touches Felix shoulder. Thanks for your bravery. And gives him an encouraging smile.

Hatano, you're coming with me? We need to find you some fitting furs after all.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Once again, Hatano dreams of being carried by her father as they walked through the snowy woods. It was so clear... and then she woke up, being carried by a stranger. "Put me down!" she says, weakly. And then, "Where's my cat? You didn't leave him, did you?" About fifty paces behind, the cat is scurrying along. She limps over to it, and picks it up. She staggers the rest of the way back into town, cat perched in her hood.

Once healed and rested, she nods in agreement. "Yeah, this coat doesn't fit right. Was getting water under the collar. Hey, maybe they can make a little coat for my cat?" she says. The cat hisses and jumps down, and disappears around a corner.