New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer

"You can't be suggesting to spend the night on the road in the snow?" The Elder looks incredulous.
    "It will be significantly colder at night," agrees Arcatek. "It will be dark soon."

"Spend the night. I will work on your scrolls. Leave in the morning." The Elder seems genuinely concerned.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Felix
    Aasimar Hospitaler Paladin
    AC: 16 HP: 12/12
    touch: 11, ff: 15, CMD: 15
    Conditions:

We cannot hide from this upcoming test of our courage. We have to get to Lady Argentea today, because to be fair I am unsure if witches need to sleep. Undead certainly don't if those have taken her.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Hold on there, farm boy." says Hatano. "You don't need to die to prove yourself. Not to me, not to that paladin with us, not for anyone. Besides. If Lady Argentea is dead, dying ain't gonna help her. But maybe her rich friends will if we can recover her body, ya know?"

4. - Top - End - #154

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    "Hold on there, farm boy." says Hatano. "You don't need to die to prove yourself. Not to me, not to that paladin with us, not for anyone. Besides. If Lady Argentea is dead, dying ain't gonna help her. But maybe her rich friends will if we can recover her body, ya know?"
    "Agreed. Tomorrow is the wise choice," says Arcatek, matter-of-factly.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Felix
    Conditions:

Humbled by today's happenings, Felix nods slightly, though you can see his dark blue eyes fixate Hatano. Very well. The group has decided and I will subjugate myself to this decision. You expected the inexperienced knight to be angry, to become louder and to shout, but nothing of that sort happened. He remained his composure, and in a way sounded more monotonous than the mage construct to his side.

If we cannot safe her, her blood will be on my hands. he claims coldly and exits. You can feel his bitterness, likely someone who has never experienced defeat before.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I don't know, if we could get a tent and some blackfire clay and a large enough tent we could perhaps. Raydine sighs. But we don't know how far away they even are, if we need to rest two times we might as well die. And as Hatano sayd that doesn't help anyone.

After Felix states that her blood will be on his hands Raydine looks at him in shock, but then her eyes turn cold and an otherworldly aura swirls around her for a moment. She strides toward him and would try to slap Felix. Regardless if she hits or not: You can't just hog all the suffering for yourself! It would not only be on your hands but on us others too. Including all the people in Heldren who just can't go out there and risk they're lives because they all have a family. Raydines eyes fill with tears and she goes around Felix to stomp out before him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Didn't wanted to interrupt your action so rudely Spore but it seemed too fitting. Used a cantrip to be more creepy for a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Felix
    Conditions:

Felix doesn't see the slap coming, and it surprises him. His face is flush with red on one side, and for a brief moment, a tiny second, you see something like a normal human reaction. Then his face goes indifferent again.

The young man looks Raydine in the eyes, as he did with Hatano, but he breaks eye contact to concede the point. You are right. We must steel ourselves for the venture tomorrow. I cannot be the shield for the innocent, if my strategy involves a claymore. Lord Majid, would you be so polite as to commit the cold iron blade to me, so I can spear-head our cause with a shield in hand? I will give you ample opportunity to remove the enemies of Heldren. He kneels in front of Majid as if kneeling before a lord or a mayor.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Majid listens impassively as the others argue whether to stay or go. He was less likely than them to freeze, though perhaps they had some hitherto-unseen protection. He quirks one eyebrow as Felix kneels, then draws the sword and places it on the boy's shoulder. Very well then. You shall be the shield and the bulwark, and I the avenging blade. You will stand fast against the enemies of the light, and I will smite them down. In the name of the hosts of heaven you will stand guard, and by Sarenrae's grace I will strike true. Rise, Brother Felix, and take up the sword. He extends a hand to pull the other man upright, then offers him the longsword.

As they get ready to leave for their respective bunks, he draws closer to the young paladin, speaking softly. There will be a time for you to sacrifice yourself in the name of Good and Law, don't worry. No paladin dies of old age. But if you allow yourself to die too soon, the blood of all those you could have saved by living longer will be on your head as well. This is the right decision, and you have taken the path of the greater good, difficult though it may be. Sleep well, brother. There is much to be done tomorrow. He clasps the younger paladin's shoulder briefly before heading out.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-11-16 at 08:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Felix
    Conditions:

The aasimar bows and smiles. Can we check if this town has a bit better armor too? My armor didn't do a good job protecting me, though half of it was me haphazardly tripping a trap.

Spoiler
    Show
    Felix goes out to shop for a breastplate.

Last edited by Spore; 2020-11-17 at 12:04 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Felix goes out to shop for a breastplate.
    "Alas, my friend, I don't have much in stock. I can make you a breastplate in a week or so or I can ride to the next city and try to find one." He looks sad not to be of service.

"How about this... leave the 200gp, take this masterwork banded mail as a loan, and I will find you or make you a breastplate as you prefer. If I can't trust a couple of paladins to return this treasure, who can I trust?"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Felix
    AC: 20 HP: 12/12
    touch: 11, ff: 19, CMD: 16
    Conditions:

Felix bows and thanks the shopkeep. This thing is heavier than a breastplate, but I don't expect to do much climbing or swimming with it anyhow. If it would suffice, you can take my old armor and the 200 gold leaving me indebted to you with paying for such high quality work. The only way we will betray your trust is if we do not come back alive, good man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+8)[14]
    Basically his own deal, just without actually commissioning a breastplate.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-11-17 at 11:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

After getting better fitting winter clothes, Hatano heads to the outskirts of the village where she finds a nice spot to sleep under some low-hanging bushes. In the morning she heads back to the Elder's house to pick up the spell scrolls. "Thanks for the help, Elder." she says as she pays him. "We'll try not to get ourselves near-kilt again."

13. - Top - End - #163

DwarfClericGuy

"Thanks for the help, Elder." she says as she pays him. "We'll try not to get ourselves near-kilt again."
    "This is a glorious summer day, perfect kilt weather!" He grins at his own humor. "Where I hear you're going, not so much. May all of the gods watch over you on your journey. My divinations suggest you will need them." He stifles a yawn. "Pardon me." Another grin.

If you (Raydine, maybe) look very closely at the scrolls, one of them seems to have the CLW spell on there twice. The Elder must have stayed up most of the night.

Felix, the armorer respects your proposal and wishes you good hunting.
    Last edited by Phantom Genius; 2020-11-19 at 06:31 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164

DwarfClericGuy

For Hatano Ten only
    Spoiler: Hatano
    Show
    In your dreams that night, you have an odd conversation... with your familiar. It is talking to you and that seems to be completely normal. "Are you sure about this mission and that man? We could easily get ourselves killed this way. Winter witches aren't like normal witches. And the ice that walks may be a frozen doom if we are not prepared." You have no idea why winter witches are being discussed and you wake up, well-rested, to find the cat curled up in its usual spot.

15. - Top - End - #165

DwarfClericGuy

The warm summer morning greets you as you begin the trip southward. The town is starting to come alive and many of the people recognize you and whisper as you pass. A young woman attempts to drop her kerchief where the paladins may find it, but her mother scoops it up and shoos her inside, with a little-too-loud, "they're on a mission!"

When you reach the carriages, there is still a hint of warmth from the fire. Vultures rise up as you get closer, having been feasting on the horse and lizard meat. Other carrion feeders may have come and gone as well. The scene remains grim and the smell is unpleasant at best.

The party gears up with blankets, cloaks, boots, gloves, scarves and anything else you thought of. Where there was six inches of snow, there is now seven or eight and it continues to fall, although slowly. It would be pretty if it weren't so unnatural.

Plunging ahead for an hour brings you to the broken lid of the chest, the unclaimed longswords, leather armor and the deadly log, now swinging lazily above. Another inch of snow suggests no one has been here since you last were. Your blood on the log is perhaps an ominous warning.

Everyone and the horse please roll a fortitude save with the +5 bonus for winter clothing. Also, what is in your hands?

The terrain is difficult and visibility is reduced. The heavy armor and the metal wizard with the short legs are slowing you down a bit.

Do you want to use the previous marching order and add the horse? If so, how far between the paladins and the bard & witch? Arcatek will not object to bringing up the rear. It also suggests walking in the tracks of the paladins would be easier than making new steps.
    Last edited by Phantom Genius; 2020-11-19 at 07:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raydine stomped around Heldren awhile, muttering to herself and mostly cursing Felix. After she cooled down, she goes back to the silvery stoat to spend the rest of the night near the hearth. The next day she seems in a way better mood, almost like she had totally forgotten what happened the day before. When she joins the others she has a slight spring in her step like she is overbrimming with energy. After leaving Heldren: I feel pretty good today, I think it will work out way better than yesterday.

When Raydine gears up she doesn't forget to get her hair up again and held it up with a Hex Nail and this time she even wears big snow shoes, though the first few steps are done a bit staggering.

And when they come back to the place they had to retreat Raydine even gives the log a light slap. Not today! Shall we load the rest up to our sled?

Spoiler: Fort save, holding stuff and marching order
    Show
    Save: (1d20+6)[22] this time with shoes! and Damage should it be too low. (1d6)[1]

Raydine would have in her left hand a buckler (it's a fresh morning so no darkness right?) and would leave her right hand free for spellcasting purposes.

If possible (and everything is okay with it) I'd say we go with

Felix, Majid

Hatano, Raydine
    Horse
    Arcatek

That would also made Arcatek have the least problems trodding forward.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano makes sure to give the cat a long scratch behind the ears before gathering her meager belongings and making her way back to the inn. Once there, she says little as she eats whatever fare is offered, musing about the danger they are in... and how close things had been the day before. She uses her spear as a walking stick, and to push aside clumps of snow left behind by the paladins. As they look over the scene from the day before, she says, "What I was going to say yesterday is that we leave anything we find well enough alone. It will still be there if we return. And if we don't..." she shrugs. "No sense delivering it to our foes."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Majid once again rises early to lead the villagers in prayer to Sarenrae. That completed, he dons his armor and meets the others for a hearty breakfast before heading out. As they march, he stays a short distance behind Felix. Arcatek is correct. If we walk single file, we will tire less easily. We're also more spread out, in case of future traps or foul sorcery. He holds his greatsword at the ready, the flat of the blade resting on his shoulder.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Standing about 10ft back from the tankier paladin, so that he takes the brunt of attacks but I can step up and attack in one turn. Both hands on the greatsword.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Felix
    Conditions:

Felix rides ahead, trying to part the snow with the strength of his mount, the lovely Buttercup. He invites any single member to join him on the mount that is willing to do so. The knight even keeps his hands mostly to himself, even though he does not shy away from necessary touches that are kept in very modest regions. He has learned from the day before.

He asks the titanic djinn warrior to keep an eye on the back, with the centerpiece being the small arcane construct. Assuming the girls replace each other on horseback, Felix switches the creatures gladly, though he has no patience or space for Hatano's cat familiar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Felix Fort (1d20+8)[22] (1d6)[5]
    Horse Fort (1d20+6)[19] (1d6)[6]
    if the girls replace each other on the horse, the DM can decide who is on it if the time is night for....things. (1d2)[2]

I propose single file right behind the horse to reduce our surface area. Spacing out keeps us from getting in nasty area effects but we should stay together to be able to heal each other. I feel 5 feet between each member is sufficient to not space out our trek unnecessarily.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hatano stares at Felix when he offers to share his horse. After a few moments, she says, "The whole point of having someone ride in front is so that only one person falls into the pit trap, and the rest of us can then pull you out."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Felix
    Conditions:

The knight frowns at the idea of being the group's minesweeper, but he readily accepts Hatano's rejection of the cause, and thus asks Raydine to politely walk instead of ride. You can see the thoughts forming inside his head, eventually he comes to a reaction, choking down a bit of hurt feelings in the process. You are right. I was putting etiquette above cold strategy. I could not accept you two being hurt on my account. It is enough that I almost failed in protecting you from the scourge of undeath. He hits his wooden shield with his iron gauntlet and smiles sheepishly. We will not falter this easily again.

Though pretending not to be hurt, he takes the remainder of the travel's time to care for his horse to alleviate the frost's effect on it. A lesser creature would say, the mare is the only female that wholly accepted Felix' touch.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When Felix offers to let them ride Raydine ponders for a moment, it would be more comfortable but...

"The whole point of having someone ride in front is so that only one person falls into the pit trap, and the rest of us can then pull you out."
    Raydine nods to that, but it was still nice and she wasn't mad at Felix anymore anyways. She goes forward for a moment and touches the paladin's hand. I gladly take up your offer when we get back. She grazes him with a little smile before taking up the rear behind Hatano.

When they reach the pile of stuff Raydine nods towards Hatano, she was right it would be better if they would strod forth less burdened.

When they continue they're thread Raydine begins talking. Say what do you know about fairies? I mean these ones seem more than mischievious they clearly wanted to harm us greatly. The most stories I knew are about these that help doing house chores and take care that the nets of Spiders are hanged with dew and sometimes they play a harmless prank, It's quite different than what I see here.

23. - Top - End - #173

DwarfClericGuy

I don't want to interrupt Raydine's conversation, so please feel free to include that in your reply, Hatano.

The snow becomes increasingly deep in this part of the forest, where a windswept gully carves a path through a tree-covered ridge. A soft cascade of snow falls from an overhead branch, hissing softly as it strikes the ground.

You see no recent footprints, even from animals, but the trail you're following is still in sight. It has now been a second hour, so everyone will need to make a second fort save and an initiative roll. Why initiative?

What must certainly be a white dragon, hidden almost perfectly by the snow snaps its teeth ferociously across Hatano's back, stopping only for a fraction of a second to wonder what the furball jumping free could be. It's ten points of gnashing damage, possibly dropping Hatano in a heartbeat into the snow which is rapidly turning red. (Or green? What color is orc blood?)

Anyway...fort save and cold damage, please, then initiative. If you roll above an 8, you go before the beast, so take your turn. Hatano, you may need to roll to stabilize on your turn. (?)

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Felix
    AC: 20 (+4 vs evil dragon) HP: 12/12
    Conditions: Smite Evil [White Dragon] (+4 attack vs it, +1 damage to it (+2 for first strike),, +4 AC vs it)

Felix hears crunching of bones, then a loud gasp and turns. He looks at the half-orc dropping, and sees a white dragon peel itself out of the snow. What in the...? HATANO! he cries out, jumping off his horse and closing in on the dragon.

Vile dragon, your days are numbered. he says as a golden light envelops his form, making his blue eyes glow in an unnatural light. You shall be struck down here and now!

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to dismount, move to engage the dragon. swift to pronounce Smite Evil

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Show
    I have to act now, but would still like to hear Hatano's reply.

The trod through the snow got brutally interrupted by what could only be dragon, snapping at Hatano and turning her back into a mess of hurt. Raydine is shocked and bile rises up from her throat when she sees the other women lying in the snow, but there was no time for panic or nausea.

Arcatek, take Hatano!

Raydine makes a swift step back and she opens her mouth to scream, but no sound escapes her mouth. The only one who can hear the scream is the white monster in front of them.

Spoiler: Activity
    Show
    As a free action take 5 feet step away from the monster, as a standard action cast Ear piercing scream the Monster has to make a Fortitude save against 15 or be dazed and takes (1d6)[1] sonic damage, no daze and save for half if it makes the save. If possible draw a scroll as a move action.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Majid spins around, sword raised and a curse on his lips.Burn in the light, creature! Holy Sarenrae, guide my blade! As he runs towards the dragon, golden flame envelops his sword. Unfortunately, the thick snow makes his steps too slow, and the beast is able to dodge aside.

Show
    Swift action smite, full action charge with Power Attack.

(1d20+11)[12]
    (2d6+10)[19], ignores DR.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-11-20 at 03:23 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

'What do I know about fairies,' thinks Hatano. She walks along in silence for a few minutes, thinking. But before she can speak, she is knocked to the ground by a vicious blow. Her mind filling with rage and despair, she points at the beast and growls, "My bones are the last thing you'll ever eat!" before slipping down into the warm blanketing snow.

28. - Top - End - #178

DwarfClericGuy

This must be a Murphy Dragon, because everything that could go wrong has gone wrong so far.
    1. Arcatek fires a small crossbow bolt into the snow.
    2. Raydine's spell has no effect.
    3. Majid's dramatic swing, while awe-inspiring, finds more snow than scale.
    4. Hatano's (perhaps final) curse has minimal effect and she fails to stabilize.
    5. Felix approaches menacingly, but does not have enough actions to swing.

The Murphy Dragon chuckles a low, throaty snarl and seems to be thinking about whom to kill next. He settles on the biggest sword and pounces on Majid. But Majid has seen this before, yesterday in fact, and uses his follow-through from his big swing to spin out of the way.

Hatano, please make another stabilize check. Everybody else, please kill this thing.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

As the dragon lunges, Majid steps aside, before bringing his sword down on the creature's neck. I will not be your meal, foul creature! In the name of the Dawnflower I smite you! He stands ready, sword raised for the inevitable counterattack.

Show
    Rolled in the OOC thread to avoid having to edit and re-edit. 19 damage that ignores DR, but crit confirmation almost certainly failed.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-11-21 at 03:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Felix
    AC: 20 (+4 vs evil dragon) HP: 12/12
    Conditions: Smite Evil [White Dragon] (+4 attack vs it, +1 damage to it (+2 for first strike), +4 AC vs it)

The blonde warrior takes a big step to the side as the dragon is distracted and slashes at its flank in return. Majid, get behind the beast!

Spoiler
    Show
    5ft. step into flanking position (depending on how large the critter is)
    (1d20+9)[21]
    (1d8+6)[8]