New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Home 26: Rooms to let, fifty cents

[Cass' Tower - Wenomir]

"Well, a little while back I took up a spying contract on some drow. Well, drow culture is pretty... unique, and not being familiar with it I needed a crash course, so I ended up using a spell that would allow me to absorb the memories and experiences of a willing volunteer, in this case, Raril Xar'Cha." Cass pauses a moment, lost a little in the playing of strings. "Well, it worked pretty well. Really well. But I guess with the age gap and everything I was in there a little too long and couldn't quite handle it, so..."

Cass smiles sheepishly, awkwardly aware of how crazy this situation will sound to Wenomir.

"Wren's kind of a... mental construct, I guess? A separate identity that was formed out of most of what I took from Raril, though he's not really the same as him, since he has a bit of me as well."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

[Cass' Tower - Wenomir]

Wenomir's face has assumed the impassive look Cassandra is quite familiar with. The one he gets when he hears something improbably insane and isn't sure how to approach it. How in all the dead gods' names does she keep getting into those situations? You'd think one would be enough.

"So... this separate identity is now sitting around in your head. With memories that aren't yours and a different personality. That must be very confusing for... you. Both of you. How are you coping with it?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cass' Tower - Wenomir]

"Best we can, I guess," Cass says, shrugging anxiously. She glances at Wenomir nervously, feeling mildly discomfited by his passive expression. "We've been kind of... sharing time in this body when I can, but I'm working on a way to be able to create a new body so he can exist independently of me... which is why I wanted to tell you."

She glances at Wenomir again, stopping her guitar playing to take an anxious sip of her coffee.
    "I hope it's not too weird..."
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2021-06-06 at 12:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Kitsune Recovery Service]

"I'm trying to protect you!" Kitsuki manages to stifle her outburst, but it's still louder than she intended. "I don't want to drag you into this any more than I already have." The rest comes more subdued, pleading.

Obriane blinks, not having expected that outburst at all. "W-what?" She steps away as if needing a moment to gather her bearings. Staring at Kitty in confusion.

Then comes a decision, Kitty can see it in her fiance's face. Obriane just straightens her back yet somehow she seems far taller than before in the way she's staring down at the kitsune. "How long is she going to stay here?" The nervousness in her voice is all gone now, and while Obriane used this kind of voice all the time when she did business in the context of their domestic life it almost seemed harsh.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

[Cass' Tower - Wenomir]

Wenomir shakes his head, clearing away his initial reaction. Cassandra really doesn't need him being judgemental about it right now. Especially since she seems to have a plan to deal with it.

"No, I'm just surprised. I wasn't expecting that. But then, I don't know if I was expecting anything, really. Mind-magic is as far away from my area of expertise as it can get." He smiles. "What kind of plan is that? It sounds like quite an undertaking."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #936

NinjaGuy

[Cass' Tower - Electra]

Electra considers for a moment, brushing some of her hair out of her eyes.

"So, I'm not sure you would necessarily need to enchant an entire body. While we're artificial, our systems often mimic the functions of biological ones. So...my thought was that you could enchant a 'brain' of sorts that could be then built into a body. Most of my kind have fairly standard protocols for the brain/body interface, to ease manufacture and repair. Maybe that's not an option, though?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

7. - Top - End - #937
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Felix's Tower

Krayger pauses, still holding the fluffy towel. "What, enchant them to death? You've only taught me how to build things up until now." He looks around.
    "Should I go get my wand? It's in my bag." Along with his shotgun: the Plan B of this scenario.
    [Felix's Tower]

"An excellent suggestion, Krayger." Felix replies, positively beaming at his apprentice. "Yes- yes, I think it is well past time we had another try at a more direct form of magic, mm? If these slimes are as I suspect they are, a strong shunt of force in their centre ought to make their bodies scatter. And if you find it a little hard to manage, well, I'm sure I can find a large hammer on the way for you to use as a backup plan. Right then, shall we?" The old man looks rather excited to be heading out to battle, doesn't he? He certainly seems eager enough, grabbing his staff and setting off down the tower.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

Felix's Tower

Krayger goes and fetches his satchel from where he left it before meeting back up with Felix.
    Now, of course he could probably just use his shotgun but he might as well let Felix have his fun. Besides, using a shotgun in a stone basement is really bad on your ears and he doesn't want to deafen either of them. So he gets out the little wand.
    "Good afternoon, Master. Shall we begin our lesson?" he asks with his best rosy-cheeked schoolboy impression.
    It obviously is a very horrible impression coming out of his giant bovine muzzle.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

Obriane blinks, not having expected that outburst at all. "W-what?" She steps away as if needing a moment to gather her bearings. Staring at Kitty in confusion.

Then comes a decision, Kitty can see it in her fiance's face. Obriane just straightens her back yet somehow she seems far taller than before in the way she's staring down at the kitsune. "How long is she going to stay here?" The nervousness in her voice is all gone now, and while Obriane used this kind of voice all the time when she did business in the context of their domestic life it almost seemed harsh.

Kitsuki startles at the sudden change in demeanor. She fumbles her words before she can get out a proper reply. "I don't know. Her only family is her foster parents, but they're not going to understand this. I don't think she'll just go home tomorrow and this'll be over and done with." The kitsune averts her eyes, as if looking around for something to help her here. "Somehow I know that I'm the only person that can hope to understand what's happening to her."

10. - Top - End - #940

Obriane takes a deep breath. "Kitty, having her staying here since her foster parents won't understand something they don't even know that she did would be kidnapping. You must realize that's not happening. Before you're doing anything you need to talk to them first and explain the situation. Trying to protect me from some crime won't really help if you're going to make me an assistant in kidnapping."

11. - Top - End - #941
    Halfling in the Playground

[Felix's Tower]

Felix can't hold in an amused chuckle at Krayger's act. "Haha, yes, very good, Apprentice." He answers, leading the way back down towards the cauldron golem's lair. "We could do a little tutoring as we walk, I think. We've gone over the practical application of magic and the many forms it can take, and how something like golem crafting is plenty magical in its own right - one of the big advantages of it is that the mage without a lot of magic to hand can build the golem up gradually, letting the magic drip through." He gives his staff a little shake, causing sparks to flie across in front of him. "The same is not true for magic in combat, obviously. Part of why I've given you that wand, hmm? Plenty of magic within it to help you channel it. Now, more potent magic, your fireballs and the like, requires very precise channeling. But a straightforward shunt of force? Not so much. Imagine you're brandishing your wand like a sword. Thrust it towards your enemy, and focus as you do so. Push the magic out."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

Obriane takes a deep breath. "Kitty, having her staying here since her foster parents won't understand something they don't even know that she did would be kidnapping. You must realize that's not happening. Before you're doing anything you need to talk to them first and explain the situation. Trying to protect me from some crime won't really help if you're going to make me an assistant in kidnapping."

"That's not what I was saying!" Kitsuki protests. She's struggling to articulate this... "I'm just saying that this doesn't end tomorrow. I didn't way what I actually wanted to do." Honestly she doesn't know what to do yet. The way she speaks is getting more frantic. The calm assurance she was putting up for Ana's sake has rapidly fallen apart.

13. - Top - End - #943

"So do you want to postpone this discussion until later then?" Obriane inquires, sounding completely neutral. "Once you've talked to her parents, whenever that will be." She'd help out but Kitty didn't want her to get involved so...

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Felix's Tower]

Felix can't hold in an amused chuckle at Krayger's act. "Haha, yes, very good, Apprentice." He answers, leading the way back down towards the cauldron golem's lair. "We could do a little tutoring as we walk, I think. We've gone over the practical application of magic and the many forms it can take, and how something like golem crafting is plenty magical in its own right - one of the big advantages of it is that the mage without a lot of magic to hand can build the golem up gradually, letting the magic drip through." He gives his staff a little shake, causing sparks to flie across in front of him. "The same is not true for magic in combat, obviously. Part of why I've given you that wand, hmm? Plenty of magic within it to help you channel it. Now, more potent magic, your fireballs and the like, requires very precise channeling. But a straightforward shunt of force? Not so much. Imagine you're brandishing your wand like a sword. Thrust it towards your enemy, and focus as you do so. Push the magic out."
    Felix's Tower

Krayger taps the wand against his opposite hand as they walk. It's not that he doesn't trust Felix, just that it seems unwise to go into a fight with such untested tools. Then again, he knows that you'd be a fool to underestimate Felix no matter how old the man truly is.
    "Well hopefully this thing hasn't been spitting up more and more while I was gone. If there's too many I'm going to have to ask you to back me up a bit. We'll have to see how many times I can do this before I'm spent." It's important to stay positive so he'll assume he'll be able to pull this off at least once. But several times, consistently? Well it's only practical to have contingencies.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

"So do you want to postpone this discussion until later then?" Obriane inquires, sounding completely neutral. "Once you've talked to her parents, whenever that will be." She'd help out but Kitty didn't want her to get involved so...

"I don't know what I'm going to do." Kitsuki withers a bit under Obriane's careful words. "I need help, Obriane. Please."

16. - Top - End - #946

"I know, Kitty and of course I want to help you, I love you. But again, how am I supposed to help you if I don't know what's going on? I'd feel like an absolute idiot if I would just sit there while you're talking to her parents about what to do. Just give me something, Kitty. Anything. I don't want to be left out of something that feels this important to you." Obriane argues as she attempts to take Kitty's hands.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Okay.

It has been a little while.

Which means it is time to pay Jade a visit.

Right?

Right.

They had promised each other.

Friends no matter what.

And Tristan wasn't planning on going back on that promise.

Okay sure it had technically only been to Aries but what sort of terrible person would he be if he broke the promise on such flimsy grounds? No way no how. Not happening.

He's still a bit nervous, though. Jade is still a kumiho. That means she's dangerous to humans. Sure, she's his friend. But he still remembers a few things about those fox faeries and the fact that one might really really like someone could potentially make it more likely that they eat them. Tristan has his defenses, sure. Like that shirt he's wearing? Pretty thick, right? A thin iron plate is sandwiched between layers of fabric protecting his torso.

...it is absolutely murder wearing this thing on such a warm day.

But hey this is important, right? He wants his heart to stay where it is, thanks.

He takes a deep breath-

"No matter what."

-and knocks on the door.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

No one just knocks on Jade's door.
    Not because she's terrifying, but because nobody knows anyone lives there. Her lair is an apparently abandoned warehouse not far from Inside's docks.
    So when Tristan arrives, she sees him through the hidden camera. When he knocks, she comes to the door.

Jade opens the door for Tristan. She's her usual beautiful self, shoulder-length red hair, fox ears, fluffy tail, and all.
    Wait... Fox ears and tail? Doesn't Jade normally keep those hidden? She doesn't like advertising her Kumiho nature. She wipes something red off the corner of her mouth. "Hey, Tristan! Come on in!"
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #949

[Jade's Lair]

Was that... blood?
    Ohnoohnoohnoohno-
    Hey hey, chill. We don't know what's up yet.

Tristan takes a deep breath and-

"Uh, hey? Jade? It's nice seeing you," Tristan begins a bit awkwardly. "Are you doing okay? You don't normally-"

He cups his hands above his head like pointy ears.

"Right?"

He's not just going to straight up ask if she has been eating people.

That would be rude.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Jade looks a bit nervous herself. Aries can probably pick up on that. He mentions her ears, and she scratches at them instinctively.
    Her nails have some rusty brown substance caked beneath them. "I'm still getting used to them myself. But I'm doing great, everything's fine. It's good to be alive." Jade beckons Tristan into the main room of her lair. It's still partitioned into exercise room and workshop, but there are a few new decorations, including one small Japanese-looking painting with a distinctively religious aspect, depicting a fox walking through a rice paddy. "It's good seeing you too. How long's it been?"

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #951

[Jade's Lair]

"You weren't really getting use to them before. Mostly you kept them hidden unless you were in fox-mode. Are you sure everything is okay?"

...is that more blood?

Or has she taken up finger painting?

Unlikely unless she was painting with her face as well.

"How long? It was just a couple days ago," Tristan replies uncertainly. "Things have been pretty crazy since the whole 'burn down the forest' plan didn't work. My house is still out there in the middle of Plum Mountain Park and it's still a log. I'm not sure how safe it is for me there since I'm human again. Though just sticking to Chimera Mode prevents most of the nasties from being able to mess with me."

Since he isn't human in that state.

Also because he is a nearly invulnerable fire breathing monster.

Tristan does a quick glance over the room.

Is there any indication Jason is around?

22. - Top - End - #952
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Now that Tristan's looking for it, he can probably notice a few small red-brown splotches on Jade's tank top too.

Jason is nowhere to be seen. Of course, given that the warehouse is fairly large, he could just be in another room.

Jade laughs unconvincingly. "Has it really only been a few days? Time sure seems to have flown by. To answer your question, I don't know why, but I can't hide them now." Uh oh. Is that a warning sign, or just some innocent thing?

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #953

[Jade's Lair]

Tristan is looking increasingly concerned.

She's, umm... she's lying to us.
    Where's Jason is he okay?
    C'mon keep it cool.

Tristan takes a deep breath to calm himself.

"Jade, listen, I know you're hiding something. I can tell. You can let me know what happened. You remember our promise, right? No matter what."

He's going to stick to it.

Even if Jade has gone off the deep end and has started snacking on people he can...

Maybe temporarily restrain her?

Call up Hector and Heather and go on another Icon run? They can fix this, whatever it is.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Tristan saw right through her. That's not good. So much for not making him worry. "Tristan, I... I'm cured. But..." Jadr looks really uncomfortable saying this, "There were complications."
    Is she even telling the truth? She doesn't look cured. Still very foxy.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #955

[Jade's Lair]

No, Jade.

That IS good.

It means Tristan cares about you and values a transparent relationship.

And then!

The truth.

Tristan isn't getting the feeling she's lying, not with that body language. But there are definitely some questions still.

"Did you go on an Icon run by yourself?" he asks. "You know you could have told me. Hector and Heather would have wanted to help, too. So the ears are... what? A leftover fae mark? I know some of the former Buttercups have still got the deer ears even after they get cured."

26. - Top - End - #956
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"No, I made a deal with a fox goddess... Apparently. Jade doesn't remember it, but she's heard about it from the priests of Inari and from Jason. "She cured me. But something went wrong. I was turned into a Kitsune instead of a human, and, well..." The next bit has Jade choked up. "I lost my memories. Almost everything that happened when I was a Kumiho. I don't remember who Hector and Heather are. I don't remember when Jason happened, but I have a brother now." Tears have come to Jade's eyes. She really feels bad about the loss.
    And all this still doesn't explain the red and brown stuff.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #957

[Jade's Lair]

Kitsune?
    Japanese fox spirit instead of Korean. They're harmless. Relatively speaking.
    Oh no her memories...

Well.

There is clearly only one thing to do now.

Tristan offers a hug.

Jade is a little touchy about hugs sometimes.

Or at least she was?

There's no telling how this latest round of trouble has impacted her mind. But Tristan is going to try to be there for her.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Jade is hugged! She seems to like that. Her tail wags a little. "It's been really strange. Finding out about things I invented and don't recall, meeting my own brother for the first time. I'm not even sure I'm the same person." At least she has Tristan to comfort her. This is a stressful time.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #959

[Jade's Lair]

"Listen, it'll be alright," Tristan reassures Jade. "We'll have to start over again a bit, but that's doable. Do you want to sit in the garden and talk?"

He gestures at the little garden they had worked together (with W's help) to create not so long ago.

That was before Jade was ambushed by the kumiho.

So she should remember that, right?

It's something they both did together.

Something that's still a connection for both of them.

That, and the garden is pretty and calming.

It sounds like Jade could use both of those things right now.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"Okay." Over to the garden they go. It's grown since Tristan was last here. Someone's planted a little vegetable patch and a few more flowers have joined the ones already there, including a few that look a bit like morning glories, but glow with a warm sunlight. Jade takes a seat next to it, careful not to accidentally sit on her tail.

My Nexus characters