New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Home 26: Rooms to let, fifty cents

There's no place like home. Whether in the suburbs of Inside, a desolate mountain cabin, a dingy flat somewhere... this is where PCs live. This is a meta-location, as the houses themselves may be many kilometers apart from one another, or in separate dimensions.

If you want an address in this thread, please PM the creator of this thread and they will post the location in the OP.

OOC Rules:

1. Please post location tags on each post: It's important that there is a clear way to differentiate the locations in a meta-thread. Ex: [123 Generic Drive] or [Doe House]

2. The players who own each residence control what goes on within it: A residence cannot be godmodded. You can attempt to break in, burn it down, knock on the door, etc., but it is up to the player controlling the home to let you know what happens next. Players are permitted to make additional OoC rules, if they want, that apply to their own homes. By entering their property, you are agreeing to roleplay within their cosmology.

3. Play nice: If there are any disagreements between players please take it to one of the OOC threads or PMs.

Archive
    Spoiler
    Show
    Home 25: Still making mortgage payments
    Home 24: A house in this market?
    Home 23
    Home 22: Our neighborhood watch is extra vigilant
    Home 21: Housebroken gazebos now permitted
    Home 20: Refurbished
    Home 19: Please Contact Your Friendly Neighborhood Realtor
    Home 18: Where Everybody Knows Your Name
    Home 17: Where you know all your friends and all your enemies
    Home 16: Home is Where the Phylactery is
    Home 15: A Fixer-Upper
    Home 14: Oddly Squishy
    Home 13: Insert Silly Title Here
    Home 12: Home, Home and Deranged
    Home 11
    Home 10
    Home 9
    Home 8
    Home 7
    Home 6: Jiggity Jig
    Home 5: Somewhere to take your family
    Home 4: Plenty of Space
    Home 3: Third Time's the Charm
    Home 2: Home is where the cabinet is
    Home 1

This thread is managed by Gulaghar. I will create the new thread when this one reached 50 pages. Please contact me for updates to the OP.

Thinking about roleplaying in the Nexus? Come say hi in our Discord!
    Last edited by Gullara; 2021-03-02 at 01:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Prumathe's Flat

It takes about a half hour to cook the pizza, so Sekhmet returns to the other room and takes a seat next to Prumathe, wrapping her arm and tail around him. "I'm, uh, sorry you went blind." She knows it's not her fault, but that doesn't stop her.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Home 26: Rooms to let, fifty cents

[Bansford House]

There are all manner of jars in the refrigerator.

They vary in color and size, as well as viscosity. Most are labelled.

"It's red," blurts the orc, "should be in front. Can't miss it." Sure enough, there's a large red mason jar in the front, with a white cross painted on it.

[June's Place] (at the BDD)

The hand is quiet for several seconds as June starts hacking at it.

It is stunned, in fact. Utterly bewildered. It's opinion of the human race was already low.

This absolute clown. This unimaginable failure. Was this really happening? Very little progress is being made on slicing through the thumb. In fact, it seems almost supernaturally resistant. After a long and awkward minute, Minerva will hear a voice in his head. "You moron," it states, rather flatly. "You colossal disappointment," it continues.

"The scale required to properly measure how unbelievably disappointed I am with you would not only surpass the world, but reach far beyond the edges of the known, and almost certainly the unknown universe."

"Just know that I will forever detest you for your failure and everything you stand for, and that no matter what happens, I will never ever forgive you."

"I have lost respect for your species that I did not even know I had left."

Abi's House

Abi might find the last phrase of hers cut short.

It takes just one syllable, just a second, for the tongue to cast a spell.

Suddenly, she will feel something awful growing within her stomach. She'll look down and view something squirming against her flesh. It will rise up her body, pushing its way towards her throat. It is an indescribable sensation, something like vomits.

Then, she'll start spewing wasps. Horrible, blue wasps which attempt to sting at her!
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-09-07 at 03:15 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Default A room in Trog's

Solstice slept peacefully in her room at Trog's. It was kind of nice that there wasn't any exposed iron, if any at all in the room. Maybe this was an intentional design? Though she would still complain about the bed. By and large it was a pretty decent bed, but it wasn't up to snuff for Sidhe standards. It took a while of tossing and turning for exhaustion to set in and sleep to come for Solstice.

She slept in an odd way curled up with her head resting on a pillow. Her various belongings were left to sit on the desk, while her robes were hanging off the desk chair, utilized like a giant hanger.

All the lights in the room were out, and it was dark. The door was definitely locked, but as for the window? Probably. Some faint star and moonlight filtered through the partly-opened curtains.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

[Room in Trog's]

At around 3am, Larza strikes.

The time had come for her terrible revenge!

She has crept up the side of the tavern with ease, this time clad in a leather catsuit. It was much easier to move around in, and far less likely to attract attention. It's clear that she'd gone to quite some effort in order to ensure that everything went exactly according to clan. Once she approaches the locked window, she'll attempt to very carefully open it. "Stupid thing is locked frae th' ben," she thinks. "Nae a kinch fur Larza, trch." The colorful goblin sinks her sharp claws into the glass.

It is a silent process, the cutting of the glass with her claws. When she's finished, she sets the circular plate of glass down before reaching into the hole and unlocking the window.

The goblin is surprisingly patient, and far stealthier than one would think. She will raise the window high before creeping in.

First, she'll quietly rummage through Solstice's belongings. Anything of value?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

[Room in Trogs]

Solstice stirs a bit in her bed but otherwise doesn't wake to the goblin breaking in. As Larza rummages through Solstice's things, she finds:

• A shortsword in its sheathe, seemingly made of bronze or copper and quite sharp.
    • A nice-looking bow and quiver of arrows that feel like they belong with each other.
    • A short, smooth, polished wooden stick with some feathers on the end.
    • A pair of nice, supple gloves.
    • Nothing in the robes, as they don't even have pockets.
    • The key to this room.
    • Oh, and.. over $17,000 in old Western-style bills.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

[Room in Trogs]

An evil expression forms upon her runny face.

She makes quick work of the room, moving like a spider would.

This is not the first time she's done something like this, nor even the hundredth or thousandth, perhaps. Larza will carefully slide the feather rod into her belt, as well as the gloves and the key to the room. They were too shiny or soft to ignore! She'll toss the sandals into her pack, as well as the robe.

Finally, she'll nab the satchel of bills and scamper back out the window!

Before she leaves, she sets a napkin down on the desk.

It's got a lipstick mark pressed into it.

And an address!
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-09-07 at 04:36 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

[Room in Trogs]

Solstice awakens the next morning to a rather nasty surprise. The first thing she notices is the window open with a gentle breeze fluttering in. That was somewhat alarming in itself, as she could swear that it was closed when she went to bed.

After sitting up, then she notices her satchel missing from the desk. Kind of hard to miss that when it was bulging with bills. As she walks over to the desk to see what happened, noting the napkin with a kiss mark on it, she reaches for her robes which were supposed to be resting on the chair. But they're gone too. She comes to the realization that her clothes are gone. All of them! Along with other important items.

No... No!!

This was... mortifying. Terrifying. Infuriating. Frustrating. Heartbreaking. Just about every conceivable negative emotion slamming into Solstice all at once! She couldn't believe this! Who could have done such a thing?! What was she going to do?!

The young Sidhe's heart started beating rapidly, and her breathing got heavier as a panic began to overtake her.

'I have to tell Zee!' she thought.

She ran to the door of her room and tried to open it, but it was locked. She realized the key to the door was gone too. Great, now how was she going to get out??

Ah, the window! Solstice headed over to the window now, passing before the large mirror in her room and stopping for a double take of herself. She was completely, stark naked! Not only was this going to be very embarrassing, but she was also extremely vulnerable to any accidental touch of iron, with nothing to put between the material and herself. Solstice swallowed hard and trembled at the thought of the next several minutes of her life. Or worse, maybe longer...

Peering out the window, there was a bit of roof slant and then a drop of about ten or twelve feet down to what looked like the decking below. To the patio area just outside? It would be quite a jump, but she thought she could handle it.. and besides, what other choice did she have? Aside from, you know.. maybe some other improvised clothing options a normal or sensible person may have thought of?

Solstice took a deep breath, climbed out the window, and then leaped onto a large object with some kind of flappy lid on top. That large container jumped with some surprise and threw Solstice off. Then it started coming after her, its huge wicked teeth and elongating tongue revealed. Solstice gasped, scrambling to her feet, and ran inside the main area of Trogs without needing to think twice about it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Eurus Hive Cluster]

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Sekhmet gives an affirmative to the Weaver and starts putting her clothes back on. If it's not going to be done soon, she'll have to leave and come back. "I, uh, get it. A sort of, uh, last night of being, uh, a, uh, bachelorette. Right?"
    Spike takes a moment to confirm what 'a bachelorette' means.
    Uh, right!

Then they let the weaver work.
    Spike can get out of their robe, find food, and think about weddings and dresses and appearances.
    Sekhmet will surely be eager to get back to the open sky aboveground. Although there is always something about leaving the warm hive buzzing with one's fellow creatures to the cold and lonely wider world.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Default Eurus Hive Cluster

Sekhmet leaves, flying gladly out into the open. Away from the Hive, she might be more alone, but there aren't as many people poking around in her head.

But she'll be back soon. She returns a couple days later when the Weaver tells her her dress is ready. She needs to try it on, see how she looks, if there are any changes that need to be made, and so forth.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Prumathe's Flat

"Not the first time. I spent a week in bed when I was twelve, after I thanked Samantha three times in a row. Left me blind, deaf and without my sense of touch. At least, I think I spent it in bed. It's where I woke up after the effects wore off. That was just about horrific. I could still feel stuff, but not texture, or pressure. Heat, and the lack of it, pain as well." The senses he had left are the ones humans have trouble using to find out about their surroundings, as well. "I'm sorry you went deaf. Just glad you were able to borrow my ears, not something I knew you could do either." He smiles at her, and hugs her back.

Abi's House

The spell the tongue casts makes Abi's eyes widen at the discomfort it causes, and then she's vomiting blue wasps everywhere. They crawl over her and she screams, loudly and at length. She drops the knife, thus sparing the tongue- for now, at least. She swats at the wasps, and runs in circles, red and dark purple light following her movements. Her eyes are pure yellow, and she'll hop into the shower and turn it on, spraying the wasps and trying to drown them.

Somebody, however, has heard Abi scream.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Default Prumathe's Flat

Sekhmet doesn't look too upset. "It's, uh, not so bad. The, uh, you know who, uh, taught me how to, uh share thoughts and, uh, senses with others." She's talking about the Hive. Prumathe probably knows that. She's quite warm to the touch, much warmer than an ordinary human as she leans her head onto his shoulder.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Trog's Second Floor]

Zee comes up the stairs, to the door of Solstice's room, fits the key in, and begins her search.

Two things immediately catch her attention.

The first?

A hole neatly cut into the window. There's the means of entrance.

The second?

A note on the desk.

With...

A lipstick mark on it?

Zee picks up the note and opens it. She's pretty sure that Solstice isn't the sort to kiss letters. Or wear lipstick. Let's see what's going on here?
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Minerva sets down the butter knife as he gets insulted.
    "O-oh. I'm sorry. I can go get another knife, maybe." As he talks, he picks up the string and starts wrapping it around the hand's palm, between the thumb and the pinkie so three fingers are inside the loop and two outside, and then ties it with a bunch of loose string left over dangling about. The string is quite a bit longer. Yes, just a little longer... "Like, I could go get you a bread knife, or a vegetable knife, or something. I just thought this one would be better because it'd be easier to clean and it wasn't in use. So, y'know, nobody would ask me why I needed it."

across town...?

June finally spots a street that she recognizes.
    Her lungs are burning.
    Her muscles are screaming.
    Almost there.
    Yes, just a little longer...
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

[Trog's Second Floor]

The door to Solstice's room is unlocked, and the two go in. Solstice quickly enters the bathroom to look for the bathrobe and throws it on. Ugh. Again, she didn't really like it. But maybe it was better than nothing. Maybe. Well, Solstice wasn't the type to traipse about without clothes, unlike some other Fae she had met before. The loss of her clothes was almost more of a loss of status than anything. Well, in any case, beggars can't be choosers, right? But Fae desperately loathed being in the position of a beggar...

Upon examining the room, it appears relatively undisturbed aside from the unmade bed. Oddly, Solstice's sword and bow and arrows were left on the desk, though none other of her possessions can be found. Oh, and the DVR under the TV also seems to have been glitching.

There's the napkin on the desk Solstice had noticed, before her full-on panic set in. The mark is odd, shaped like a kiss indeed. Hm.. but yes, Solstice definitely didn't wear lipstick. Quite frankly, her kind just didn't need it, and thoughts to "pretty" herself with fake cosmetics never crossed her mind. A Sidhe's appearance was already the peak of human perfection. They were liable to appear uglier if anyone ever tried to force that upon them.

Solstice hadn't even noticed the hole in the window until that was pointed out. Who or what could have done that?

She gingery picks up the napkin, more closely examining the lip mark. This reveals an address on the reverse side, in plain view to Zee.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Prumathe's Flat

"Oh, I see. Well, um. You're nice to hug, nice and warm. Feels nice." An awkward change of subject, but he can tell by how she's uh-ing she's uncomfortable with the discussion. He'd love to learn more, find out about the Hive and what it wants and can do, but it's always up to Sekhmet what he wants to share.

It's also true. He's thinking he won't need such a thick duvet in winter, which is making him blush a little.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Default Prumathe's Flat

Now Sekhmet's blushing, her cheeks black. She's pretty sure of what Prumathe's thinking, to make him blush like that. "Oh, uh, thank you." She also recognizes a transparent attempt to change the subject. "We're, uh, planning to marry. You, uh, have a right to, uh, know. About, uh, them."

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Prumathe's Flat

"I don't want to intrude on it, Sekhmet. It's... not a part of your life that you're happy with, and I want me to be a part that is. I am really curious, but I just don't know where to begin with it all. I want to help you, and I don't know the questions I need to ask before I can help. You know?" Hopefully Sekhmet understands. He's really concerned about all this, but he's not sure where to even look to find info. He doesn't really know where the Hive's based, and all he really knows is they do biological and magical manipulation.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

[Trog's Second Floor]

The cut made into the glass is masterfully carved.

It's a smoothly sliced, perfect circle - the sort usually made by a tool.

The napkin itself is fairly interesting, crafted of a fine white silk and possessing of a monogrammed corner. The initials spell out, "Q.R." Of additional interest is the kiss stain itself, having been pressed in blue, cotton candy flavored lipstick. The scent of it is quite strong, indeed.

Who was Q.R? Hm, many questions.

The hand pauses for another few seconds.

This was just embarrassing, at this point. It did not want to be seen with this man.

"You moron," it mutters once again, "the knife is meant for you." At this point, the suggestion becomes clearer. Oh, that should have been fairly obvious.

June should cut off his hand! A great idea, indeed.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-09-07 at 07:37 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Default Prumathe's Flat

"I know, but, uh," Sekhmet seems really out of sorts saying this, "It could, uh, be dangerous to you. You, uh, need to know at some point. If, uh, not now, then, uh, later. After we're engaged. Or, uh, married." She hugs Prumathe closer. "I don't want to, uh, lose you because of them."

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #21

[June's place] (at the BDD)

It looks like there's some realization in Minerva's eyes.
    "Oooooh," he says. "I see. Makes sense."

With the flat of the knife, he pushes the hand away to the side, string and all, so that it will fall off the table and then on to the floor. "Should've just said so from the start."
    Grabbing the knife with his left hand, he asks, "Right hand? Or...left hand?"
    That is an important question.
    And, lowering the butter knife's blade to his right hand, he adds, "And, um. Thumb? Wrist? Pinkie?"

Probably the wrist, right?
    He starts sawing with the butter knife.
    With butter knives, to be honest, it frequently seems like it's easier to cut things by accident than to intentionally cut things. Especially when it comes to flesh and bone. Minerva's making basically no progress.

and then! maybe about fifteen seconds later!
    June bursts through the unlocked door.
    She stops, panting, with her hands on her knees.

Notably,
    June looks just like Minerva, except unlike Minerva, she's wearing masculine clothes instead of a maid dress.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

22. - Top - End - #22

[Trog's Second Floor]

Zee is, like, 95% sure it was Lazra.

She already knows that Larza is a burglar and she was having a spat with Solstice last night. Coming in here to steal Solstice's stuff certainly seems like something Larza would have done.

However!

She isn't certain.

Zee, as much as possible, tries to avoid working in uncertainties. Sometimes it's necessary for someone like her who misses obvious details.

Right now, though, she's not looking for obvious details.

Not at all!

She's looking at the stain. At the window. At the floor leading to the parts of the room that were burglarized. She's looking for stray hairs. Flecks of skin. Eyelashes. Any little piece of themselves the burglar might have left behind.

"People don't usually break into Trog's," Zee explains as she scours the room. "Mostly because they know that breaking into Trog's is dumb. There's nothing in here to steal that's worth the trouble. So either whoever did this is an idiot, or they didn't know they were sticking their hand into a hornet's nest. Possibly both."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

[Trog's Second Floor]

Solstice herself is stumped over the matter, but she also has her suspicions. Well, suspicion.

"Do you suppose it was that Lazra goblin? I remember her staring at me and.. pretending to blow me a kiss as I walked up the stairs last night..." Yes, that gesture and the fact that there was a kiss mark on the napkin did seem to be quite a coincidence. The blue also seemed reminiscent of some of the bluish tints on Larza's body as well, but this was probably just more speculation at this point. And the scent.. well, Solstice was hesitant to get close enough to even try smelling the stuff, though she imagined the goblin smelled nothing like cotton candy.

"You said people often do not burglarize your establishment.. do you think this could have just been a coincidence? I had mentioned to another person about a reward I had collected.. but.. why was not only that missing? Why.. why did they have to take my robes, my sandals.. even.. even my gloves?" Solstice said, beginning to sound more like she was whining again.

Admittedly, the robe Solstice wore was very nice, crafted expertly of exquisite silk. And her sandals also were nice and pretty as well, even with some small gems on them. But the gloves were just deerskin. Admittedly also great quality but still, probably the least valuable out of anything. "This.. this does feel personal. Especially with this.. this.. 'thing' left here," Solstice said, referring to the napkin. She didn't even know what to call it, aside from a napkin. But it wasn't going to be a good napkin anymore. A message? Well, it wasn't exactly that, either.

Solstice mulls over it more. "I wonder what the Q and the R stand for.. but it may not matter. If anything, the napkin could also be stolen."

On the reverse side of the napkin, there is some other kind of writing scrawled. Solstice has no idea what it means, but Zee should definitely be able to tell it's some kind of address.. probably someplace in Nexus.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Was mentioned it was the address for an abandoned tire factory in Skyside, but don't know if Zee would be familiar. We probably need to ask around.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-09-07 at 10:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Corvus' Dojo]

"It's still far easier than it has any right to be," Sophie says. "I suppose that's just how it is for Solars. Thank you for teaching me all this. If you ever need help, just let me know."
    Corvus nods, and gives Sophie a polite bow.

"You are quite welcome. I hope it will serve you well. If you come across other Chosen in need of instruction, please don't hesitate to send them my way; the way of the Righteous Devil is one of several paths I know, and I am happy to teach those in need."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

25. - Top - End - #25

[Trog's Second Floor]

Oh.

Hmm.

An address.

Zee types that into her phone, which obliging informs her that this is an abandoned tire factory.

In Skyside.

Of course it is.

Also of interest?

A single long blond hair retrieved from the windowsill. Clawmarks outside, gouges into the wood.

"Yeah, I'm nearly one hundred percent sure it was Larza. Stealing your gloves was petty. I already know she's a burglar. And she wasn't happy about you crossing her. Damaging one of the windows and stealing from my patrons is well across the line," Zee says, holding up the blond hair. "A root but no cellular structure. Definitely fae stuff. So unless there's another blond goblin who likes blue lipstick and stealing I'm pretty sure we've got our culprit."

Ugh.

She hates going after people proactively.

No one has a nice time.

"There's an address on that handkerchief. A tire factory in Skyside. It's an awful, lawless city some distance from here."

Just the worst city.

Absolutely terrible.

"Exactly the sort of place I would expect to find Larza. She's about as pleasant as a tire fire."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

[Trog's Second Floor]

Wait.. Larza? Lazra? Which was it?

"Crossing her??" Solstice said incredulously. "She was the one being very rude and making unreasonable demands of me."

Funnily enough, picking up a strange insect was not difficult at all. The problem was in its apparent value... the request, or rather demand, to get it was something that would have had a cost attached to it. Solstice merely wasn't obliging the goblins demands to do so for free. The only thing Larza offered were threats. As far as Solstice was concerned, she hadn't even done anything to the goblin at all.

Solstice's interest is piqued at the mention of the hair and especially 'fae stuff', but regardless of .. whatever structure Zee was talking about, Solstice did have an idea. "Where did that hair come from? In here? If so, that would make me its rightful owner. If I may... I think I will have a use for it." Solstice's eyes narrow with some determination. "That fool goblin. She will have no idea what power I shall hold over her..." Solstice's eyes also glance sideways at the napkin with lipstick markings on it.

The confidence and determination Solstice had fade as the location is mentioned. "Hrm. A ... 'tire' .. factory?" Solstice wasn't absolutely clueless, with some remedial education on the history of mortal affairs, she vaguely knew of a factory. It was a place.. or usually a large building or some kind of complex where.. many people came. To build large quantities of a certain good? This definitely wasn't her strong suit. Actually, the word 'tire' was throwing her off more than anything. She wasn't thinking of rubber automobile tires and the like at all. She was thinking of the state of fatigue.

Glancing dourly at Zee, Solstice says, "I.. know nothing of this Skyside place you mention, nor do I know anything about 'tire factories'. But I shall believe you when you say it is awful. So.. what.. what are we to do, then? Is there someone that may be able to help or.. some way to get there unmolested?"

Ah, the big problem was getting someone else involved. Even if Zee was to help, that would have a price. Solstice sighed and she spoke softly and shakily. "I do not think I can do this alone... And as of now, I have even less to offer. But I can promise.. a portion of that reward I received yesterday..."

Solstice might not have known it, but it was a lot of money she got. Well, in the right places it might be worth a lot. She could definitely afford to give a big chunk of all that up. What she really wanted back were her other belongings, though.

27. - Top - End - #27

[Trog's Second Floor]

"She thought you were crossing her," Zee clarifies. "She was being pretty unreasonable."

Maybe even the most unreasonable. Every interact Zee has had with Larza thus far has painted her as a fairly unpleasant individual. She still isn't sure how she turned up at the Thanksmas party. Probably just heard that there was free stuff to fill her pockets with. She seems about as discerning as a hungry raccoon and about as spiteful as your average gremlin.

Zee offers a small smile and hands the hair over.

"Like we agreed, the room and everything in it are yours to use as you see fit."

Like, say, any hairs that were left behind by burglars.

At Solstice's puzzled expression Zee offers some additional clarity. "Tires are the things that go on car wheels. Those big steel machines that are rolling around in the streets?"

She gestures out the nearby window at the street beyond. It has cars! Probably not as many as one would expect in such a large City. Inside's public transit system is robust enough that personal vehicles are more a matter of taste rather than necessity.

"Skyside is a floating island. There are lifts that take you up to the island itself, but," Zee frowns a bit here. "That whole city, most of it is made of iron. Steel walkways. Scrap steel walls. It's a place of iron, soot, rust, and crushed dreams. I don't know if Larza's kind is bothered by iron. But if she is I can't imagine she would spend so much time in Skyside."

An inhospitable place for fae by most estimations.

"I won't need payment for this. I've been wronged by the mere act of breaking into my tavern and burglarizing my guests. It would be a breach of hospitality to leave this slight unanswered. You were under my roof when this happened, and as such under my protection. I should have tossed Larza out sooner. I was more merciful than I should have been," Zee says, fierce determination in her voice. "Making this right is my responsibility. And so to that end I wish to hire you to help me."

Zee's really hoping this will work. Solstice can't accept charity. But she CAN accept payment.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

[Trog's Second Floor]

Solstice gazed out the window, still rather confused. What is it exactly that went on the car wheels?? She hadn't had much of any chance to get to know this before, and she hadn't been paying that close attention as she was in Nexus.

Solstice took the golden hair and held it firmly with a small smile.

Though her heart sinks into a state of dread as Zee describes the Skyside area. Almost the entire place made of steel? How.. how would I tread there without shoes?? Almost immediately Solstice began looking around the room for something to improvise with, as if learning from her last mistake. Pillows? Uh.. no. Uh.. towels? Maybe? Either way they'd get thoroughly dirty and ruined. Or even worse, maybe a hole could get worn through them...

But regardless, with so much iron everywhere.. the floors, the walls, probably railings and whatever else.. the entire place was liable to just be a death trap. Maybe.. Maybe Solstice just shouldn't attempt to go there at all. It would be ridiculously dangerous. Suicidal, even. And Solstice really wasn't suicidal at all. She dearly wanted to live.

But when Zee spoke of being wronged, breaches of hospitality, and wanting to hire Solstice, the Fae stood there gazing almost blankly at the barmaid, gears whirring in her head (not literally). This was.. not what Solstice was expecting.

After a while, Solstice answers slowly, "We were both wronged, then, were we not?" She supposed it was true. The establishment's reputation would suffer, for one thing. Taking responsibility for negative occurrences that happened to their guests was also noble and conventionally done, though it was a bit of another oddity, seeing as Solstice had been given rights to the room, if only temporarily. But otherwise, the fact that Solstice, herself, had things stolen from her was convoluting this. Had any other guest been robbed, Zee could have simply hired Solstice to find the perpetrator and return the stolen items to the guest. But in this case, that guest would be herself. She would.. find the perpetrator and.. return the stolen items to herself...

This was truly bizarre to Solstice. Maybe even absurd? Even though Solstice liked to generally be clear with her wording most times and be a bit lenient, this was going above and beyond that. Solstice was not even sure if she would have thought of such a thing. This was the sort of bargain her mother would have made with her years ago....

Tears began to form in Solstice's eyes: joy and relief flowing through her for once today. Was this the type of person Zee was? Zee was kind.. and beautiful.. and on top of that, a stranger like her still following Solstice's own traditions. She almost couldn't believe this.

"I would.. I would gladly be hired by you to catch this perpetrator and.. return the stolen belongings to the guest.. Though that guest happens to be me," Solstice began saying, trying her best to maintain her composure, without any sobbing or laughing. "However," she begins more sharply, "Knowing just who the thief likely is.. there is a great chance that some, or maybe even none of the items are recoverable in any feasible way..."

Solstice looked saddened by this, though it was likely true. What if that nasty goblin just tore up everything, or set them on fire, or gnawed on it, or sold things off somewhere else and it was just about impossible to find? "So then, Zee.. if you truly wish to hire me.. let us discuss the terms in greater detail."

Solstice looked at Zee with.. with absolutely bright eyes full of hope.

29. - Top - End - #29

[Trog's Second Floor]

Hope and determination burning hopelessness and despondency away like frost in the morning sun.

That's exactly what Zee loves seeing. It always brings a smile to her face and a spring to her step.

Endure. Overcome.

And if she can be the catalyst for it? Just as well. She'll take it. The relief and the resolution are well worth the effort. Really she couldn't care less about the rules Solstice's culture operates under. They seem positively shackling to her. Fae are often like that, like children who have made up arbitrary rules for their game and get upset when someone stumbles upon their play without being 'in' on what's allowed and what isn't. This fae, however, is a person. There's more to her than the vile things that snatch babes away in the dead of night. And if there's anything Zee cares about dearly, it's people.

No, she doesn't care for the rules.

But if she has to adhere to their rules of fair exchange in order to help?

She'll do it.

That is worth it.

"We were," Zee agrees. "I can't have the tavern's reputation tarnished by guests being burglarized or worse. And Larza has already committed wrongs here before. We're well beyond the limits of my mercy."

Zee's expression falls slightly. "It's possible some of the guest's belongings have been damaged beyond recovery. For that I'm truly sorry. As I said in our first bargain, anything in the room that's damaged or destroyed? The party that perpetrated the act will be held responsible. Even if the items are lost I believe we can both agree the thief needs to be rewarded fairly for what's transpired here."

Rewarded here in the negative sense. What's the reward for this sort of petty, nasty behavior?

"Alright. Terms. I wish to hire you to help me recover the burglarized guest's belongings and bring the thief to justice. If the guest's belongings are ruined, destroyed, or otherwise unrecoverable then you will be released from that portion of the obligation. Since you're presently in a state of undress, I propose that as a down-payment for your service that I provide you with clothing suitable for traversing Skyside and safely navigating the hazards the city poses to fae. At minimum, sturdy boots, gloves, breaches, and a tunic. Since you're without funds I will also provide transportation to and from the city. For further payment, I propose that you retain any valuables recovered from the thief as spoils, the stolen guest's belongings notwithstanding since those must be returned to her."

Zee offers a small, sly smile.

"Are these terms agreeable? Or do you with to propose amendments?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Eurus Hive Cluster

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Sekhmet leaves, flying gladly out into the open. Away from the Hive, she might be more alone, but there aren't as many people poking around in her head.

But she'll be back soon. She returns a couple days later when the Weaver tells her her dress is ready. She needs to try it on, see how she looks, if there are any changes that need to be made, and so forth.
    The hive is busy when she returns.
    Workers are digging a new tunnel from the small eastern cavern, and near the excavation Harley is looking over a new node in the floor-extending network. Here they'll put in a repository for imps, if one ends up being needed. Aaiesi is mixing elixirs for Eurus, while workers throw extra pallets of food into her crown. The castle's flanks are dotted with cocoons where creatures undergo experimental metamorphosis into forms never seen before. Weavers are gathered around the primal pool, whose fronds are all bent inward, waters crackling with light as some creature Becomes part of the hive. The experiment chamber's ventilation stalks are puffing busily, and through the distortion of its green walls one could glimpse things not entirely unlike the imp that Sekhmet found, half-grown possibilities.
    The main entrance has been reinforced with another guardian creature and a pair of on-duty archers, since they have confirmed the probably-hostile Thinker is still out there.
    In the main rest chamber, a force is gathering for an expedition into the lower levels of the underground: hounds, archers, striders, and something unfamiliar to Sekhmet, a big blind armor-plated octopode with a pointy tail to put any fiend to shame.

But none of that is really relevant.
    The important part is the cloakroom, where the weaver's completed work is carefully hung. Just as requested. White, floor length and trailing a little but not excessively, halterneck and leaving her arms and wings on display, a clasp around her tail (you'll need help putting this on or you'll cut the dress and tangle your wings, at a minimum), additional white sashes that flow down the front of the dress, and intricate silver and off-white embroidery in flowing patterns.
    There's also a veil and/or little streamers that fit on your horns, because the tailor was showing off.
    And on another rack, a shorter plainer light blue dress with enough hoops to fit someone with four arms.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine