New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Home 26: Rooms to let, fifty cents

[Jade's Lair]

Oh wow.

When did Lambslaural get that spear made of twisted wood and eldritch magic?

She is definitely pointing it at that awful writhing, snapping THING just in case it does something terrible.

Thankfully it got smooshed pretty quickly and Lambslaural tosses her spear aside to give Jade another hug.

Why?

Well.

Probably because that looked really scary and she wants to make sure her friend is alright!

"Are you okay what did... what happened?"
    Lambslaural asks. "I thought that would make you a guy again? Did it do anything?"

It sounds like both she and Jade are equally puzzled.

Is that...

Some small amount of relief that Jade didn't turn back into Jason? Lambslaural is feeling like that's selfish and she shouldn't think that way.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade’s Lair]

Wicke wipes his hands clean and smiles.
    ”See? I told you. You were doing growing of your own under there. The conclusions you came to were your own, so this is what you are. But this does mean that I’ve taken your powers along with the mind changes. That’s alright. You can get something to emulate what you used to do. Maybe not from me after all that. But something. I got turned into a lady like, five different times it can’t be that hard.” he assures them.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2020-10-25 at 10:14 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"I don't know," Jade says to Lambslaural, accepting the hug. "I feel like I just woke up from a dream. A dream where I..." She suddenly goes beet red. "Did I really? Gah! What possessed me to wear that costume! Did I want the whole world to see my entire cleavage?" She crosses her arms over her chest protectively, clearly having retroactive distaste for her vampire costume last night.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #274

[Jade's Lair]

"Umm... I thought..." Lambslaural starts, then decides that she isn't going to say what she thought.

SHE thought the dress was pretty sexy.

But obviously Jade is feeling bad about it so she isn't going to say that.

Instead she says, "Are you, um... are you feeling okay? Did you still want to help me with the garden?"

Maybe doing some work will get Jade's mind off of curse things.

Especially since doing that work will mean she's going to get dirty.

No more curse for keeping her immaculately clean.

"I g-guess I'll have to look for some different way to be a guy. B-but that's alright. I'm not, um, not upset or anything."

She's wishing she hadn't hopped back into the tree right away to test what Wicke had done. But, well, that's just how things go sometimes.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

"I hope you now understand my policy that I explained last time." Wicke says to her.
    Yeah, Walter did seem pretty against flirting with Jade much even with her flaunting her good looks in his face once he realized there was a curse on her.
    "I'm sorry, Aries. If I had more of a following I'd have the power to change you whenever Jade needed me to like she used to do. But I can't really manage that." Wicke could probably handle doing it one more time. But that would be the last of his power for a while, and he does have other followers with problems he needs to attend to.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Yes, the dress was pretty sexy. It was too sexy. Jade nods to Wicke. Wow, She was behaving really oddly that time. "Yeah, I get it. Sorry about that." Then she turns back to Lambslaural. "Yeah, let's go clean up that lot." Huh. Lambslaural said "garden" instead of "lot" or "dump." Guess it must just be a different perspective. "But... Let me change into some warmer clothes first." She's no magical nymph. She needs to dress warmly. She heads upstairs, running the last few months through her head. Oh man, there are a whole bunch of people she's going to have to apologise to. And she left that one supervillain as a woman, how did she not realize that? And... Oh crap! She rushes downstairs with a jacket in one hand and hurriedly asks Lambslaural, "What were the faerie rules again? Because I just realized I thanked Chestnut last night and I think that was one of the rules, wasn't it."
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-10-26 at 01:35 PM.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #277
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Miri's Haunted Horses]

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post

"Magic of flame and smoke. Some simple, some not-so-simple. I think I could learn it." Vaemys grins at the thought of being a pyromancer, though maybe Miri should find somewhere that isn't indoors for her to practice.

Arron will probably go check out the noises from the attic once he's happy with the orders he's given the skeletal horses. Bitey remains on his shoulder; he has plans to make Bitey a familiar, and for that he'd need a ritual space. The attic might be a good place for one, if it's large and empty.
    "Just go out into the yard before setting anything afire." Miri suggests.

As for Arron, the Attic is large, but not empty.
    Once you unlock the hatch and pull down the stairs, you'll see that:
    There were also lots of rats here. The rat plague did not spare higher parts of buildings.
    Even before the rats, it was full of boxes, crates, curious structures draped in sheets, etc.
    There were four little windows into here, but they're all covered up now.
    There's a whispering noise that's probably just disturbed air rattling the sheets and things, and nothing more.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

Miri's Haunted House

"Yes, seems good idea." Vaemys nods and stands up, taking her strange book with her to the garden where she reads about how to maintain her body heat and core temperature, which the book promises is a core component of the more advanced magics deeper inside it.

Arron hasn't been in a creepy house like this for a long time, and where he's from they're all old and potentially compromised structurally. So he's going to try and find the source of the noise, just to reassure himself that it's not a sign that the roof is going to collapse on his head. Also, he's looking for any rats that might be left behind. He doesn't want them hanging around if they're alive and if they're dead he can practice with them.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

9. - Top - End - #279

[Jade's Lair]

Lambslaural offers a kind smile. "It's alright m-mister Wicke. We'll just find a different way. Taking the curse out of Jade was, um, was more important."

What a sweet girl she is. Though she would really prefer not to be a girl.

One thing at a time, though.

At Jade's question Lambslaural looks... slightly concerned?

"...oh. Um... that means you own Queen Chestnut a favor," she says as she heads toward the door. "Usually nymphs aren't as mean about favors as some other sorts of fae are. So... it should probably be okay?"

Lambslaural certainly SOUNDS helpful.

Surely Queen Chestnut wouldn't ask for something really disruptive, such as open permission to hijack Jade's body whenever she wants to.

Definitely not that.

One way or the other, Lambslaural will head toward the garden in progress, smiling at all her animal friends still diligently cleaning up the plot of land. It looks like the gulls only ate a few of the roaches so all is well.

"I called on some animal friends to help. It'll go much faster this way," Lambslaural informs Jade.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Wicke cringes but keeps his doubts to himself.
    Yup, she's screwed. How does she keep doing this to herself?
    "Sadly I can only help with cleanup duty on that one, Jade. Sometimes friends can take someone's place in something like that but...best someone on my level doesn't get forced into helping Fairy Queens." Even a minor god's power could be abused quite heavily by someone with ill intentions.
    He smiles at the lot, at least.
    "Oh, good. Doesn't seem nearly as bad as you made it out to be. You must have done a lot already, Aries."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Jade was under the influence of malign forces at the time. Surely that gives her a pass, right? She pulls at her hair, which stays messed up and doesn't settle back into a perfect arrangement. "Gah, how could I have been so blind!? I guess I'll have to wait for that shoe to drop. And no offense, but you're a nymph yourself. I'm not sure I can trust your judgement on this." Jade surveys the lot with a little surprise. "I see." She can't complain though. She has talking rats guarding her lair from intruders. To say anything negative about gulls and roaches being used to clean up would be hypocritical. Instead she just hefts a trash bag over her shoulder and gets to work picking up litter.

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #282

[Jade's Lair]

Lambslaural smiles at Wicke's comment-

-and her ears droop a bit at Jade's. "O-oh... okay..."

She quietly picks up her rake and gets to work as well.

Thankfully, with the help of her friends and all these magically compelled vermin, getting the lot cleaned up goes pretty quickly! Really, before long at all the garbage is all packed away and Lambslaural can REALLY get to work!

"Thank you, friends!" she calls out to the various wharf animals as they scamper and skitter and flap away. Then she heads over to a nice, hard, sandy patch of pale earth with a few scraggly weeds growing out of it-

-and begins pawing at the ground with one of her front hooves.

With each pass the soil grows darker and richer, until after a minute or two she has a nice little plot of loam to place her plum seed in. And once that's done? She begins dancing around the spot in an ever widening circle, the earth in the barren lot coming alive. The hard packed ground is the first to change, darkening and growing thick with the scent of the forest. Grasses and flowers begin popping up here and there as the scraggly bushes grow healthy and vibrant. She gives her head a shake and her back hooves a kick as more plum seeds fall to the earth.

Within the span of fifteen minutes of dancing the gaiad has turned a sad looking trash dump into a grove of plums trees and lambslaural bushes.

She steps back, hands on her hips, and smiles at the job well done!

"There! I think maybe some stone benches and a little fountain might be a good idea. What do you two think?" she asks Wicke and Jade.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Wicke gets the distinct impression that Aries doesn't get a lot of praise. Or if he does it doesn't tend to stick. A shame.
    Someone should also probably tell him that Lambslaurel goes by Lambslaurel when not a guy. Wicke, of all people, would grasp the situation best.
    "It looks excellent, Aries. I couldn't have done better myself."
    Of course he could have done faster but that would be recklessly using his powers for simple aesthetics.
    "Though it depends on the fountain. If it's for irrigation it depends entirely on what kind of water you can route to this spot. Given its proximity to the wharf salt-water contamination is a serious risk. Not to mention the possibility of its source being fey in nature means it could have side effects on visiting animals or crops drinking from the water in question and..."
    Oh no, you got the farm god talking about water sources.
    Somebody stop him.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    [Cass' Tower - Pondside]

Cass smiles contentedly, keeping one arm around Electra's waist and leaning on her slightly as they wander along the shore. It's not really one for the postcards - the beach is rough and gritty, poked through with weeds and pebbles, and around them is mostly just meadow and few low hills, dotted with the occasional distant farmstead. Behind them, the way they came, Cass' tower is easily visible as the area's most notable landmark, a lonely monolith thrusting upwards from its hilltop. Cass takes her head off of Electra's shoulder and looks at her, seeming to detect something about her.
    "Song stuck in your head?"
    [Cass' Tower - Pondside]

Electra's guard seems to be down, as a look of surprise, then embarassment flashes over her, before she blushes sheepishly.

"Am I that predictable?" She doesn't wait for an answer, though, before going on. "And...I wouldn't say stuck necessarily....I just. I'm-" She pauses for a moment, seeming to search for the right words....or perhaps the right way to put how she's feeling into them.

"I'm...bad at words....and feelings, sometimes. Music helps me....process them together. When I'm feeling something really intense, it...helps me cope."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"Wow that's... Pretty impressive." The lot just went from trash to park in instants. "You can make those, just like that? I'd do it." This isn't a great place for a nice park. No one comes here often. It's why Jade's hideout is in the area. But a little revitalization would be nice, maybe a place she can come to to rest, hidden away from the world.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #286

[Jade's Lair]

If Wicke wants to call Lambslaural Aries she doesn't mind. N-not at all it's fine. He can call her whatever he wants.

"Oh, um... I was just thinking a little fountain that recycles its water? Ground water here is salty since... umm..."

She gestures at the bay not too far away.

"This is all mostly gossamer right now," Lambslaural admits, running her fingers along the bark of a plum tree. "But the real plants should grow up into it pretty quick. It should be okay so long as no one comes through with and iron tool and starts breaking things."

Hopefully no one would be that needless destructive.

But then again humans are humans.

Lambslaural smiles and nods at Jade. "Just out of gossamer. But there's a seed of a real thing in all of it. The seed just needs time to grow. And a little tender loving care."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Wicke doesn't point out that he literally just said that the groundwater is salty. That would be rude. But he thinks it for a split second. And then it is gone. Just another plant enthusiast. No need to judge among friends.
    "Well we better hope no one in the neighborhood comes by with an old fashioned rake to help out the new park. It's mostly plastic nowadays anyway with a shrug. But I think I can do something about seeds."
    There are some things that come naturally to all aspects of W. As he said before, making plants grow is one of the thing that's not even a blip to the miracle energy Wicke so carefully counts. And oh look, that's just what they're doing!
    Wicke stands in the exact center of the tiny little park and stamps a hind hoof firmly into the ground. Left behind in the soil after he pulls away is a perfect hoofprint. It's a subtle thing. Like someone left out a scented candle. But by (this) god, this park is going to grow, rain or shine. Water or no, wind or no, sun or no, there will be healthy plants here by Autumn's end.
    "There. Like any good farmwork, these things take time." he tells them cheerily.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"It looks great. Sorry I couldn't be more help." Jade doesn't have any nature magic or magic at all that could have helped, so she feels a little guilty about not pulling her weight. "I guess I should check on it every so often, make sure it's doing okay?" She's the one that doesn't have other responsibilities to attend to. Well, not regularly scheduled ones anyway.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #289

[Jade's Lair]

Lambslaural frowns!

"Don't say that, Jade, you were lots of help!" the gaiad insists. "You put all that garbage in bags and picked up all those nails and things. That would have been dangerous for me."

See?

You were super helpful, Jade.

A small smile is offered. "Besides. I r-really liked working with you. It was nice."

She really, really liked it. The normal garden work portion was just... normal garden work?

"If you ever wanted to plant some real flowers in here let me know?" Lambslaural asks. "I would really enjoy doing that with you. Gardening is nice."

Then?

She'll hug Wicke.

"Thank you for helping us today."

20. - Top - End - #290

Default [Miri's Haunted House]

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "Yes, seems good idea." Vaemys nods and stands up, taking her strange book with her to the garden where she reads about how to maintain her body heat and core temperature, which the book promises is a core component of the more advanced magics deeper inside it.

Arron hasn't been in a creepy house like this for a long time, and where he's from they're all old and potentially compromised structurally. So he's going to try and find the source of the noise, just to reassure himself that it's not a sign that the roof is going to collapse on his head. Also, he's looking for any rats that might be left behind. He doesn't want them hanging around if they're alive and if they're dead he can practice with them.
    Miri goes back to trying to get the house into a habitable state.

Some of the noise in the attic is from rats, which squeak and flee from Arron when he comes near - but they don't flee very far, lurking in the corners and watching him with their beady eyes.
    The whispering, though, it seems like it's always coming from off to the side, as if it's moving to avoid Arron as he goes around the attic.
    Perhaps the movement of him and the rats is causing the floorboards to settle differently?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade’s Lair]

Wicke smiles and gently returns the hug.
    ”Well, you're welcome. I just wish I could have done more.
    And.
    Uh.
    If you do know anything about what we talked about for me let me know.”

Wicke would love to keep helping his friends. But he also would like to just be Walter again. Surely they’ll understand that bit of selfishness.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"Not today, I'm already filthy." It's a weird feeling, since the curse kept her perfectly clean for quite some time. Now she has actual grime under her fingernails. She's going to actually need to shower from now on, not just do it out of habit. "Of course, Wicke. And I'll call you once in a while if you need someone to talk to." Jade feels sorry for the unintentional god. "And if you want, you can change me up once in a while. As long as it's temporary I don't mind."

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

Miri's House of Rats and Skeletons

Arron notes the noise moving around, and starts to chant.
    "Age before beauty, they say;
    And I see no beauty here.
    I shall make time pay,
    And make beauty flee."

When he finishes the chant, a burst of entropy spreads from him, settling over other living creatures in the attic. It ages them quickly, months passing in minutes. It only lasts for about ten minutes, but rats are short-lived.

Sekhmet's Cabin

The phone rings! Ring, ring! And it's Samantha's number. Prumathe's gone out, fetching some shopping. I'm not sure if there's a honeymoon, but they have some time off at least. Pontius wouldn't have it any other way.

"Hi, it's about Nocri. She was at your wedding, right? I saw here there. Her apartment's up for rent, and her landlady says she disappeared when all those deergirls started prancing about. The times don't work, someone's messed with her memory and stolen her stuff. It's the Godfather, I'm sure of it. Oh, I don't know what to do about it all." Samantha sounds quite desperate.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Sekhmet's Cabin

Sekhmet gets up from her reading to answer the phone. "Uh, calm down, slow down. Yes, uh, she was at the wedding. That's terrible! What, uh, can you tell me? Should I, uh, call Prumathe back? He's, uh, out right now." She's really not sure how to handle this. "Oh! I should, uh, take notes so I remember what to tell him. Hold on a moment." Sekhmet goes to get a pen and notepad. "Okay, uh, start from the beginning. What happened?"

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

Sekhmet's Cabin

"I go past Nocri's apartment once a week, usually. Make a point of it, make sure she's OK. Today, I went past and her flat is empty, and the landlady is advertising for tenants in it. I asked, and the landlady said she'd waited as long as she could, for her own finances' sake, but hadn't seen Nocri- or heard from her at all- since that Buttercup thing, with the fae going around naming people and transforming them into more Buttercup. But I saw her at your wedding, and that was a couple days later. I asked to see the apartment, and it's empty. Everything that was Nocri's of any value is gone. All that's left is a couple of photographs and a diary, with an entry for the day before yesterday. I've read it, and there's nothing of import in there- but it was written then, and Nocri always filled her diary out just before she went to bed. So she disappeared yesterday, possibly overnight. The landlady smelt funny, like pyrite and whiskey. She'd been glamoured, by a leprechaun. Probably not the Fairy Godfather himself, he's too important to do something like this- and too canny to get caught. She's missing, gone. I don't know where, but... It's not going to be good for her." Samantha doesn't know where Nocri is or when she left to start going there, but she knows it isn't good.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Sekhmet's Cabin

"Oh my. Uh, what do we do?" Sekhmet nervously taps her foot. "Should I get Prumathe? We, uh, should help Nocri, but how?" They're three people. How can they go up against a crime syndicate? Sekhmet hasn't thought about her birthright yet and the ways she could use her powers to help. "Do you have any idea where they could have taken her?"

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #297

Default [Miri's House of Mostly Skeletons Now]

The pulse of entropy settles over the attic, killing countless rats who can't comprehend what's happening to them. Plus countless little bugs and microbes.

The whisper settled behind him during the chant, and grew briefly silent as he spoke, but as the minutes roll on and more pests die, it grows louder and louder, and gleeful in tone.
    Is it a voice now, asking something of him? The words remain hard to decipher, but there's a solid sense of questioning. And it seems to have settled in location, coming from beneath a sheet covering an elaborate specimen box with many sliding drawers and lids.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

Miri's Haunted Attic

Now there's no noise from rats to distract him, Arron tries to get to the source of the whispering. He identifies it, and tries to remove the cover. It... Seems to have gotten louder after he killed all the vermin sharing the attic, which isn't great. Hopefully it's just that there's less noises to distract him.

Sekhmet's Cabin

"Slavery, I think. To get some of the money they'd loaned her back. Not sure where they'd sell her, though. It's super illegal in Inside, and the same goes for Riverside. Might be easier to find a buyer there, but... Skyside's easier still, it's legal there and that's where all the slavers are based. Maybe somewhere else, New Inside maybe. It gives us an advantage, to get her to Skyside they can't use Riftline. The trains don't take kindly to anyone trying to smuggle anything, and they're the fastest way between the cities. We could go find her in Skyside, hang out at the docks looking for her, but we'd attract attention. That might not be great. I'm going to head over; you contact Prumathe, see if we can all put our heads together and come up with a plan." Sekhmet might know some people that can look for her without attracting too much attention to themselves, but... Skyside's a risky place to go.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Sekhmet's Cabin

"Okay, I'll, uh, see you soon." Sekhmet hangs up, then dials Prumathe's mobile number. If he picks up, she'll tell him what's going on in a nervous voice. "You need to, uh, come home right now. I, uh, just got a call from Samantha. It's your sister Nocri. She's, uh, disappeared."

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #300

[Jade's Lair]

"If my friends and I learn anything we'll let you know," Lambslaural offers.

She's sure that once she gets back in contact with MAA they might be able to find something.

Then?

She'll offer a little wave and kneel down in the new garden, folding her legs under herself.

It's really nice in here...

Maybe she could go down to the break water and pick up a few large rocks?

Put it in the garden?

A large stone is always a nice thing to have. Especially once you've encouraged some moss to grow on it.