New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Home 26: Rooms to let, fifty cents

[Jaces Place]

This is why it is important to talk to your children about issues like this.

Otherwise they might take matters into their own hands and make wishes with the help of eldritch kitties.

"I... I dunno... maybe I should have-" Khannie begins, only to give her head a shake. "It doesn't matter. I don't think the kitty does do-overs on wishes. Just don't think it's your fault or daddy's that I decided to do this. This was MY decision."

Then?

Khannie finishes putting on her shoe!

Shoe now on foot, she'll head down the stairs. She breaths steadily, trying her best to calm herself down. A whole bunch just happened. Maybe she should be scared about the prospect of turning into one of those... those things. But she isn't. She isn't scared. She's resolved. If she survived the pokemon world where people turn into animals and wander off into the forest for no reason she can survive this, too.

A huge smile spreads across her face she she spots her father.

"Daddy do you want to see me make a pineapple?" she asks excitedly. Magical girl stuff aside, creating an illusion of a pineapple is still a pretty big accomplishment in her book.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Kitsune Recovery Service]

"You go to bed and let me take care of it. You don't deal with spirits as a business without hearing a thing or two about other experts. So you can just focus on Ana tomorrow. No need for you to do anything else besides maybe contacting her parents." And maybe law enforcement but Obriane keeps that part quiet. Kitty didn't seem to care all that much about that sort of thing.

"Alright... but I can't just yet." She nods towards the bathroom. They have to get Ana settled first after all. "I guess I'll think about how to explain any of this to her foster parents." That seems like an impossible task, especially right now. Has to be done, though.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace’s Place

Zebes slinks behind her. He’s not sure why you would ever want to put shoes on when you’re in your own house but what does he know?

Jace has started cooking. Since sausage and peppers are made in a big skillet he can make them just fine.
    ”Sure, sweetie. Show me.” he says with a smile.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #1174

[Jace's Place]

Khannie is wearing human shoes on her human feet because she can.

Just you watch her.

Anywho!

Some very precise hand motions and incantations follow as bits of darkness bloop away from shadows around the room, congealing into-!

A pineapple!

Khannie catches it as it drops a few inches into her hands.

"Remember how I showed you the orange yesterday? Well this is like that except bigger! If I keep getting better this fast maybe I'll get good enough to make shadow illusions of people!"

That's pretty ambitious, Khannie.

"But I'll probably do chairs or something like that first," she adds.

Chairs are way easier to make than people.

Khannie sets the pineapple down on the counter near Jace and then steps away, grinning like a little gremlin.

Jace may notice something else that Khannie isn't voicing here.

When she made the orange yesterday she had to drop her human disguise. The illusion was too complex to maintain along with the visual human-shaped shroud she nearly always wears.

But this time?

She's still a little human girl.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace's Place

Jace's warm smile remains unbroken. "You're getting better every day, Khannie. I know you'll get there. Now, did you wash your hands for dinner?" he asks her, eyeing those mitts of hers.
    Hey Boss? Yeah? Gonna need you to roll with everything tonight. Is that what I was getting from you?
    Stuff Has Occurred, Boss. ...how bad? Don't know but she put me in charge of investigating and I want you to do the same.
    Shouldn't I- No, you shouldn't, because if you so much as catch a whiff of something sketchy involving your kid you'll light the cause on fire before it gets two words in.
    ...fine.

Good old conversations at the speed of thought.

6. - Top - End - #1176

[Jace's Place]

Khannie huffs and makes a face at the reminder to wash her hands. She trudges over to the sink, turns on the water, and runs her hands under it for approximately five seconds before heading for the table.

That isn't washing your hands, Khannie!

That's hardly even trying.

Khannie is, of course, not privy to the mental conversation. She could have chats like that with Maridia, sure, but Maridia's range of conversation topics tend to be pretty limited.

She's a dragon who knows what she wants.

What she wants are sweets.

Peppers and sausages aren't sweets but who knows what wonderful things might come AFTER the peppers and sausages?

"The shadow illusions are kind of spooky," Khannie notes. "Like pulling bits of dark off things to make an illusion? It's weird. But they don't seem very spooky once I'm done making them."

Like that pineapple she fashioned?

One hundred percent un-spooky.

Of course since Jace's daughter is part ghost-type she should get use to spooky, right?

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace's Place

It's okay, Khannie. Once you level up Maridia will get smarter and have more topics to talk about.
    Like making sweets.
    "Shadowstuff is hard to work with. I don't touch it very often. But then, I also don't work with illusions very often." The main time he did it was using illusions to knock people unconscious so not really anything different from what he normally does.
    "Did you use soap?"

8. - Top - End - #1178

[Jace's Place]

"It didn't seem super hard to me," Khannie replies as she begins pulling our her chair. "It was different, but not hard. But I guess our magic is just different sorts since I can't make the big KABOOM! fireballs."

Goodness wouldn't that be a mess?

This is probably the perfect time for Jace to imagine Khannie laughing manically while hurling fireballs everywhere.

Illusions are probably safer.

Less likely to hurt people on accident with illusions.

"But you know that one illusion spell, right? The one that puts people to sleep? Can you teach me that one, daddy? Pleeeease! I'm getting so good at learning new spells I bet I can do that one!" Khannie pleads-

-then gets reminded about soap.

"UGH!"

With maximum sullenness Khannie stomps back over to the sink and actually uses soap this time. She even sings 'twinkle twinkle little star' under her breath like her teacher taught her to back when she was a wee bab to make sure she washes them for long enough.

Not one to be alone in her suffering, Khannie points out, "If we're having dessert Maridia ate basically my entire ice cream cone while I was waiting for the train so she probably doesn't need any."

"Betrayer!" the fairy dragon wails. "How could you!"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2021-07-20 at 11:48 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace's Place

To this day Jace is unsure how Khannie didn't end up as a magus. Maybe she just couldn't handle needing to use a sword.
    "Color Spray is the equivalent of a flashbang grenade and is not something to be thrown around willy-nilly. That is to say, you can't go showing your friends because it can cause retina damage."
    Friends don't give friends retina damage and concussions, Khannie.
    "Can I trust you to have something that can cause lasting damage to someone without showing it off?" He's asking it in that way that means this is rhetorical because I know I can but you need to say it so we know you know this is important.

Also he's fairly sure that as a fairy dragon Maridia can literally live off sugar alone but he isn't sure how dairy factors into that.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Jim's Apartment

Jim's movements become natural again as his senses return to him.
    "Ah, perfect. Good job. See, no problem." He does wonder what happened. Jaahlyn seemed to suggest she'd done this sort of thing plenty of times?
    Maybe her mood is playing havoc on her magic?
    "Sounds like this is a first for you." he guesses. His hands go to his sides since he doesn't have any pockets to speak of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post

"Alright... but I can't just yet." She nods towards the bathroom. They have to get Ana settled first after all. "I guess I'll think about how to explain any of this to her foster parents." That seems like an impossible task, especially right now. Has to be done, though.
    Jim's Apartment

"I think I've done it at least once before. Again, it's hard to remember." Jaahlyn admits, which is the point she realizes that she's still holding Jim's hand and quickly let's go. "...dreams are usually hard to remember. Don't think we were meant to remember them all and at this point, all my past lives are a bit like dreams. Sometimes I just connect the dots, y'know?" She shrugs and turns away from him towards what now seems to be a beach. Beyond a ocean stretching as far as his eyes can see with a sun raising at the horizon. "But anyway, this is pretty nice isn't it?"

"How well do you and Ana know one another exactly? I know you felt very excited when you first met her." Obriane inquires as she glances towards the bathroom door. "Anything I should know about her?"

11. - Top - End - #1181

[Jace's Place]

Also Khannie doesn't know what a magus is.

That might have something to do with it.

Is that some kind of new pokemon she hasn't heard of?

Khannie puts on her most indignant face as she finally makes it to her chair. "Daddy I know not to use spells on my friends I'm not dumb."

Not even a little dumb.

Okay maybe a little dumb. Dumb enough to make wishes with weird magical cats.

"It's really bright and shiny, right? And for zapping bad guys who are trying to get me. Like one of those spray bottles," Khannie reasons. The analogy to pepper spray really isn't that bad. You wouldn't want to 'show off' pepper spray, either. "Daddy I can do lots of stuff that might hurt people if I'm not careful. I've NEVER hurt one of my friends on accident."

It's true!

She hasn't.

She is very responsible.

And as far as Maridia goes she's a dragon. Dragons tend to be able to eat basically anything the cheaters.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim's Apartment

Jim had always kind of assumed people with immortality had enough memory to remember most of the things that happen to them. But maybe when they go on long enough that's just not feasible. Jaahlyn seems to remember the beginning, but the middle parts seem to have gotten fuzzy for her which is almost as odd...
    "Yeah, it sure is fancy, alright. Did you pick this or is this just what came to mind when this dream formed?" he asks her. He's flying pretty blind when it comes to how all of this works.

Jace's Place

"Well yes of course. But you also shouldn't go showing it to your friends either like you do with your fruit. Mirrors in its general vicinity can go very badly for everyone involved." Jace raises a hand and lets the little tongues of flame dance along his knuckles.
    "You always have to be able to identify which of your spells you keep for when things are dangerous and which are good for parties." he tells her with a grin.

13. - Top - End - #1183

[Jace's Place]

Khannie siiiiighs and rolls her eyes in that way that teen girls are uniquely capable of doing.

Sure, she's a few months early, but Khannie has always been an over-achiever. Why would this facet of her be any different?

"Daaaaaad I know not to use combat spells on my friends. Just like I know not to use pokemon moves on my friends. I'm not dumb I'm responsible."

Do responsible girls get themselves turned into an energy generator for eldritch beings by making wishes?

Probably not.

"I just want you to teach me a spell! One that you know that I can be good at. And I know I'm good at illusions,"
    Khannie pleads. She's tried other spells before. And aside from the familiar ritual she has never been able to pull of any type of magic that isn't an illusion. Though when it comes to illusions she's pretty darn skilled. Being able to pull off shadow illusions to any degree at her age is pretty amazing. "Maybe after dinner? We can go outside and you can show me? I'll even do the dishes!"

Oh wow she's really desperate for that one.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace's Place

"Yes, but what I said is not to use it around them either. Gosh." He gives her the exact look that only a father can give when he's making fun of his daughter acting like a teenager.
    "I can show it to you if nothing else. But learning spells from other people has always been hit or miss. You know that as much as anyone." It's hard to take lessons when everyone's sorcery works different.
    [Yeah, I don't think Jace and Khannie are even using the same edition to be honest.]
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2021-07-21 at 08:11 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1185

[Jace's Place]

Khannie decides to do the mature thing and sticks her tongue out at her father.

"I don't mind if I can't figure it out. I definitely won't learn if I don't try," Khannie points out as she waits for sausages and peppers to manifest on her plate.

She's wondering how different it will be.

Will things taste different because she isn't a pokemon?

Ever since she evolved and got ghost type she had felt so... so still inside. Everything felt so muted. Had that meant she was sort of dead? She tried not to think about it so much. But she doesn't feel like that anymore. She's breathing and her heart is beating and her lips feel kind of dry probably because she hasn't been drinking enough water because what kid ever does?

Khannie is sure the sausages and peppers are going to taste great.

The greatest thing she has eaten in a long time.

16. - Top - End - #1186

Jim's Apartment

Jim had always kind of assumed people with immortality had enough memory to remember most of the things that happen to them. But maybe when they go on long enough that's just not feasible. Jaahlyn seems to remember the beginning, but the middle parts seem to have gotten fuzzy for her which is almost as odd...
    "Yeah, it sure is fancy, alright. Did you pick this or is this just what came to mind when this dream formed?" he asks her. He's flying pretty blind when it comes to how all of this works.
    Jim's Apartment Dreaming of Satyrs

"Well, unlike most dreamers I can control my dreams to some degree." Jaahlyn remarks as she looks out over the sea, her hands on her hips. "So this is from a memory. One of the island I was born on actually." She stands there a while, a soft breeze making her hair flutter. Then Jaahlyn turns to him again. "But it's not the most exciting memory though." She walks closer and giggles. "So what about it? You wanna stay around here or do something different?"

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace's Place

After a short time of the pan spitting and hissing, Jace presents unto the three their share of the food: turkey sausages (with fennel) cooked with red and yellow bell peppers and onions with a white wine reduction. Over rice!
    Brown rice because it's healthier.
    "Well we can try. It's not like the neighbors aren't used to our experiments by now."

It's a good thing their neighbors are pretty tolerant at this point.

Dreaming of Satyrs

Or one satyr and a faun.
    "Well a beach isn't the worst place to be either." Jim muses as he gazes out at the sea himself.
    "Well, you did promise me some crazy stuff. So we can do a little of that if you'd like. I'll let you pick first though. This is your scheme after all." and he does kind of want to see what she can do when she's going all out.

18. - Top - End - #1188

[Jace's Place]

And zero pokemon food.

That's the best part.

No pokemon food. No poffins, no berries, no nothing. Just real human food.

Khannie cuts into a sausage, scoops it up with some rice, and puts it in her mouth.

Chews once.

Twice.

And starts crying. First a few little tears here and there, as she swallows her first bite. Then rubbing her eyes and trying not to show it. And now full blow hiccuping sobs as her nose starts running.

Oh no does it taste THAT bad?

"Sorry..." she mutters lamely. "Dinner's really good," she manages to choke out as she spears another bite.

Okay there's definitely something up.

19. - Top - End - #1189

Dreaming of Satyrs Fey?

Or one satyr and a faun.
    "Well a beach isn't the worst place to be either." Jim muses as he gazes out at the sea himself.
    "Well, you did promise me some crazy stuff. So we can do a little of that if you'd like. I'll let you pick first though. This is your scheme after all." and he does kind of want to see what she can do when she's going all out.
    Dreaming of Satyrs Fey?

Jaahlyn laughs. "Hold on then."
    And the next thing Jim feels is the sensation of falling as if the ground had just disappeared underneath him.
    Though the next moment he can't recall falling at all as he got firm earth floor underneath his hooves and he's breathing in cool midnight air. Darkness haunts the edges of his vision but the large bonfire he's standing next to provides just enough illumination for him to tell that he's in the middle of a huge tent made of thick leather.

Standing around him at the edges of the fires illumination are shadowy figures which all seem to be staring at the fire. Or perhaps they're staring at him? It's hard to tell.

Then he will notice Jaahlyn herself. She's standing right by the fire with a shadow cast out into the night.
    She's now dressed in a black robe made of cured hide, her horns adorned with black feathers which has been tied up to them. The satyr smiles at him but doesn't say anything. Instead, she starts to sing. Her words are in a deep guttural language which he can't place.

"Haor ka muva!"

The sound of drums accompany her and a chorus of other voices soon join in.
    Haor ka muva!
    Haor ka muva!

To a modern listener the combined vocals would sound like a strange mix of traditional native american music and heavy metal. Jaahlyn and her accompanying singers keeping to the slow rhythm of the drums while also screaming out the lyrics.

Jaahlyn starts to move across the earthen floor and bumps her hips into his. "Come on, Jim. Dance with me! Feel the beat!"

Then she turns towards the shadow crowd again and continues with the same loud intensity. "Baorems duvm ivum o vosr cruuka kur ka!"

Kur ka!
    Kur ka!

The drums grow louder and Jim can see that the shadowy figures surrounding them have started to move to the music and are now dancing like the shadows they resemble, slowly starting to pick up pace.

The satyr turns to them again, really staring them down as she unleashes another volley of vocals which are her loudest and most intense yet.

"GEQA KA SRA VERR SU KESRSA!"

KESRASA!
    KESRASA!

"Haor ka muva!" Haor ka muva! Haor ka muva!
    "Wurdk I quva!" Wurdk I quv! Wurdk I quva!

Jaahlyn bends over as she sings, having stopped dancing for a moment to give these particular lyrics her all.

"FARROK SRAKA CROEMK!
    NU SUD DOKM KROGA!
    I VERR BA DEKKARAMS!
    I'RR KSOMD RARA DAKEOMSRAE!"

These words are delivered with such intensity that even the drums and the other singers fall silent and for a moment Jaahlyn's voice is all that can be heard. And she's loud. Her voice must have quite a range for her voice to be able to get to that range.

The more Jim hears though the more he seems to get a sense of the language she's using and now he's sure that "FARROK" is a particularly foul swear word.

Then the satyr turns to him, sweat beads having formed all over her as she's clearly giving this her all, but that smile on her face probably tells him why. She's enjoying herself immensely.
    Now starting to walk towards him there's an exaggerated swagger to her gait, her hips swaying back and forth seductively. The drums and the chorus start to come in again.

"I verr su um!" I verr su um!
    "Poseamca!" Poseamca! Poseamca!
    "Bareaka!" Bareaka! Bareaka!
    "Luqa verr okcamd..." Okcamd! Okcamd!

Her song has fallen back to following the slow rhythm of the drums though Jim might not be paying attention to that as Jaahlyn is now attempting to bend him over and kiss him right there.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-07-22 at 06:35 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace's Place

To be fair Jace only ever really got Berries since those are literally just fruit with fantasy names and he knows that Khannie hates anything associated with pokemon.
    As it turns out reptomammals can eat regular ol' meat and greenery just fine.
    Any strict pokemon food was specifically for Commissar. Speaking of he's eating in the corner. Jace has floated the idea of treating him less like a regular dog since he's clearly sapient but Commissar didn't seem to want to change much.
    But regardless, Jace does stand up. He goes over, bends down, and plants a kiss right on the side his daughter's forehead.
    "It's alright." he tells her softly with a squeeze of her shoulders for good measure before returning to his seat.

Dreaming of Fey

You know.
    This is simultaneously more and less insane than he was expecting.
    Like had she said she was going to take him to a tribal-themed bonfire party it would sound more tame than what she suggested before but that definitely wouldn't have captured what's going on here.
    That said he's willing to roll with what's going on as long as she doesn't try to pry his heart out with a knife or something.

But a dance he can do. And does. He's actually quite good at dancing even if he's been gone from the clubbing scene for a while. Slow, fast, it doesn't matter. Give him a beat and he can make it work. Perhaps not particularly gracefully or expertly but he can at least look like he knows what he's doing to the layman. And if the context is a bit stranger than he's used to well...he can say he's been to a fey bonfire.

You know after dancing for a few minutes he has to wonder not only about the language that he's being screamed at in, but also the logistics of dreams. Does he have to take water breaks when he's-
    oh dear he's been kissed by a satyr. He's certainly not going to be resisting her attempt there.

21. - Top - End - #1191

[Jace's Place]

Touching his daughter, Jace will immediately be able to tell that she isn't wearing an illusion. That's a real girl's forehead he just kissed, a real shoulder he just touched.

She isn't a weird haunter kangaskhan fusion any longer. She's a human child.

After a few more little sobs she speaks up, "When I evolved and got ghost-type I was different. I felt quiet inside. Food didn't taste like anything. I wasn't sure if I was really alive or not."

Another bite of dinner goes into her mouth.

Those aren't tears of sadness.

They're tears of joy.

"I... I made a wish, daddy. Dinner tastes really good."

She tries her best to smile reassuringly at her father.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace's Place

"Yeah, I guess that's kind of what it was like. I think I was even less solid. I definitely didn't have a stomach." Haunter could swallow stuff but he was never sure where it went.
    ...again?
    I SAID ROLL WITH IT THIS MEANS A LOT

Jace's face remains unchanged. This does clearly mean quite a lot to her.
    "Well thank you, Khannie. I'd say it's a family recipe but it's really not. You can tell me about your wish when you feel like it." That is to say, she doesn't have to do so at all for a while if she doesn't want to.

23. - Top - End - #1193

[Jace's Place]

Come on Jace she made that wish when she was six and everything turned out fine. It was just a little weird for about a week.

"I didn't say anything about the food because I wasn't sure if you would get worried. I just kept it to myself," Khannie admits. She didn't want her dad to worry about her being maybe-not-alive. She's very thoughtful like that. "But I don't have to worry about that anymore since I wished that I was a real human girl."

And it worked!

With...

Some possible side-effects.

She and Zebes will have to research that to figure out how to prevent said side effects. Or maybe to undo whatever the weird cat did to her without undoing the part where she's human? Khannie is sure they'll figure something out.

To celebrate maybe eventually figuring something out she eats some more of her dinner.

It's so good.

"I didn't want to hide it from you like I tried to hide being a super hero,"
    Khannie explains. "I wanted you to know so you wouldn't be surprised or mad or worried."

She doesn't want to mention the whole witches part. And she'll wait at least a little while on the magical girl part. One thing at a time.

24. - Top - End - #1194

Dreaming of Fey

Unlike how exerted Jaahlyn seems to be, Jim isn't feeling tired at all. Furthermore, he will somehow know that the dancing figures aren't fey but humans. Or at least faded memories of them. They doesn't seem to react to his presence at all however. Almost as if he isn't there.

To Jaahlyn he certainly is though.

He can feel her tongue dive into his mouth as they make out. A strange warmth quickly spreading through his body upon the contact of their lips and suddenly he's feeling both more and less intoxicated than he was a moment ago. His head is somewhat clearer but there's also less restrain.

Though before he can properly consider this she suddenly breaks the kiss, though still keep an arm around his waist even as she keeps singing.

"Jiks reksam su [to] es!" Su [to] es! Su [to] es!
    Now Jim actually starts being able to make out some words, like that the word "su" means "to".
    "Vueca [voice] ku sria [true] emkeda correms!" Ai! Ai!
    "Tu ksomd [to stand] aeui iv omd korcr [and march] aeui um!" Auh! Auh pow!
    "Kaav [keep] kruk korrems [falling]!" Korremsa da! Da!
    At this point the language just seem fluent to him, though if he would ever hear it outside this dream he still wouldn't understand it at all.
    "Las su aeuir kurruv!" [Let go (of) your sorrow!] Kurruv! Kurruv! [Sorrow! Sorrow!]
    "Sim verr krema, srek I vrukeka!" [(the) Sun will shine, this I promise!] Vrukeka! Vrukeka! [Promise! Promise!]
    "Rekems sukkuruv!" [Raising tomorrow!] Sukkuruv! Sukkuruv! [Tomorrow! Tomorrow!]
    "Rekems!" [Rising!]

She squeezes Jim's waist and smiles at him for a brief moment before she continues with what he somehow will know is the final verse of the song.

"Haor ka muv!" Muv! Muv!
    "I'k sodems bocd sra cumsrur uk kae!" Kae! Kae!
    "I quv!" Ai! Ai!
    "Nu kura verr I ba o kroqa!" Ho! Ho!

[Hear me now! (Now! Now!)
    I'm taking back the control of my life from [the law]! (The law! The law!)
    I vow! (exclamation sounds)
    No more will I be a SLAVE! (exclamation sounds)
    ]

At the last part the drums and the other singers grow silent once more and Jaahlyn's growling voice is the only thing that can be heard.
    "Reka su crorramsa sra vrura farroke rikom roca!
    Mae kveres aeui commus braod!
    Wram va vum ruka!"

[Rising to challenge the whole ****ing [all fey]
    My spirit you cannot break!
    Tearing up your chains!
    ]

Then Jaahlyn falls silent and takes a series of heavy breaths as she starts to cool down.
    The song seems to be over.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-07-22 at 02:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace's Place

Jace listens very carefully.
    He and Zebes' eyebrows twitch a bit the way they do when they're talking but not letting their emotions show. Jace focuses his gaze back to Khannie.
    "It's okay, Khannie." he says softly.
    "You wanna go to Sugar Swirls' shop and get donuts after dinner?" Jace asks of his daughter.
    And her familiar. Of course.

Dreaming of Fey

Oh, it's been so long since Jim had done anything so intense. So exhilarating and yet so much.
    It's like the feeling he got from blowing up that foul simulacrum of Sticks' stuff. Except also nothing like that and also a pretty girl is kissing him while screaming.
    He knows, like he knows nothing else, that this is very personal to her.
    Clearly there is unfinished business.

But those are all thoughts that come after. When he falls to the floor panting when all of its over. When quiet finally comes and they have a second to breathe. When he notices how his legs feel after all of that and just how long it was. Or perhaps it was only a few seconds? He knows all of it happened but some specifics already seem blurry. Dreams and memories are funny like that.
    He turns to her, smiling even as he breathes heavily.
    "Well. That was certainly a thing and a half." he says breathlessly.

26. - Top - End - #1196

[Jace's Place]

Parents notice things.

And no doubt Jace had noticed over the past few years that Khannie just hadn't showed much interest in visiting places where one quite acquire tasty treats. Mostly she just went through the motions and let Maridia steal her candy while pretending not to see it. So when Khannie reacts with a great big smile, her eyes still misted with tears, that's probably the most genuine reaction he's seen out of her in quite some time.

"That sounds great," she says. But then she quickly asks for clarification. "Will that before or after magic lessons?"

Probably before.

Otherwise they might get there late.

Wouldn't want to be stuck with just their selection of day old about to be thrown away donuts, would they?

That would be tragic.

"I like that plan!"
    Maridia loudly adds.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace's Place

"After. You can only have dessert after you've eaten all your dinner and worked up an appetite."
    That's why Jace always has cookies an hour after dinner and not right afterwards.
    "Desireth sprinkles upon thy donut?" whispers Zebes.
    "Nay, but frosting of white."

28. - Top - End - #1198

[Jace's Place]

This day is turning out wonderfully.

Khannie is starting to wonder if maybe Zebes was wrong and the weird white cat didn't have anything to do with the cartoon he was talking about.

She eats her dinner.

Not fast, though.

She's savoring it. Every. Single. Bite.

Her daddy made this because he loves her so, so much.

And she's going to make sure that she enjoys it. All of it.

When they finish eating she'll gather up the plates and begin washing them off, humming to herself as she does. If there were any negative side effects to the wish none of them are immediately obvious.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Ogre in the Playground

Jace's Place

Oh come now, Khannie. If the bad stuff happened the first day of being a magical girl would anyone be able to get their friends into it?
    Jace gives Khannie a signal to meet them outside when she's done for MAGIC LESSON.
    Commissar sits at her feet while she washes dishes so she isn't alone.
    She's probably in for a truly magical evening.

30. - Top - End - #1200

[Jace's Place]

Khannie will quietly slip a piece of sausage to Commissar when no one is looking very though people food isn't great for dogs.

What a degenerate criminal.

Once the dishes are done Khannie dries off her hands and hurries out to the back yard, her heart full of hope and anticipation.

This is is!

Learning REAL SPELLS with her dad as a REAL HUMAN GIRL!

This is what Khannie always dreamed of.

Ever since she was a tiny kangaskhan joey she had dreams about what her human father would be like and all the amazing things they would do together. This feels like a culmination of all those years. She has finally, finally arrived where she ought to have been to begin with. As the daughter of a Great Hero!

"Okay! I'm ready what do I do first?" Khannie asks, bouncing up and down on her toes.