New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,499 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Home 26: Rooms to let, fifty cents

[Mouchabière Residence]

"Oh, honey." Sophie reaches up to touch Trick's cheek, radiating contentment. It's almost as bright as when she's literally glowing after using her Solar powers. "I don't think anyone is a good parent just like that. From what I've seen, everyone makes it up as they go. And I know you're going to try your best."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

"If you say so," Trick says, unconvinced but clearly willing to accept the supportive words, "The next part of this though is... well, it's the question of how two women end up having a kid together. I've got no doubt there's plenty of options, but I've narrowed it down to a couple that I think can work for us, if you're interested."
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Titan in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

Sophie giggles.

"It's a shame I'm not a Lunar like Corvus or Willa. I understand it's easy for them to make... adjustments. In the right places." With that raunchy comment out of the way, she continues: "But go ahead. This is a pretty major hurdle we sort of assumed we'd clear once we get there, isn't it?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

that gets a little laugh out of Trick, "It's not totally out of the question though, is it? I'm sure I could brew up a potion like that, even if it's temporary, and we accomplish things the natural way."
    Last edited by Halae; 2021-09-10 at 06:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

"It... would be the simplest option," Sophie admits. "Worth keeping in mind, at least. I think Julie could accomplish something similar. What are the other things we could try?"

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

"I know of at least one type of demon that's capable of taking samples from two or more entities and turning them into a hybrid creature. Basically we give a blood or other tissue sample, and these things can whip up a baby for us that's biologically ours. Would bypass that whole 'pregnancy' and 'giving birth' thing, but then we'd be dealing with demonology. I know what I'm doing with summoning spirits, so I wouldn't be exposing us to any serious risks doing this, but at the same time I'd understand if that's not something you want to go for," Trick tells her, explaining the idea, "It'd certainly be less straightforward."

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

Sophie is visibly unconvinced about this idea. It shows even through the glow of her excitement about having children.

"It does have the benefit of skipping the... inconvenient pregnancy part," she admits. "But summoning demons... I don't know. It's odd. I don't want to rule it out, but it's odd."

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

"Yeah, I'm not so sold on this particular idea either. The potion at least is something we'd have full control over, even if there were side-effects," Trick says, grunting her agreement.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

"Those are two options, then. So far." Sophie closes her eyes for a moment. She had stopped hoping they would get to this point... "One is a lot more straightforward but unpredictable. Though there's one more thing. If we do something that results in a regular pregnancy, which one of us is it going to be?"

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

"I'd probably do it," Trick says, clearly having put some thought into that concept, "I'm the one that spends most of her days indoors fiddling with potions. You actually deal with people, often kids, on a daily basis. Getting mood swings and finding it hard to move around due to carrying around a baby would probably make that difficult."

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

"You're right, love." Sophie can't really argue or disagree with anything Trick just said. Furthermore... "Not to mention I rush headlong to solve other people's problems, which sometimes involves fights. Not something we want to expose our child to. I never thought I'd be getting someone pregnant... but that applies to many things I've done." She lifts her head up and tries to pull Trick down for a long kiss.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

As Trick is pulled down into a loving kiss, her tail snakes its way around Sophie's waist to hold her close. When the kiss ends, the tiefling asks, "So, I suppose I should start brewing up potions then? I realize this is all pretty sudden, but still."

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Titan in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

Sophie leans into Trick and stays close even once they pull away, touching the tiefling's cheek. Talking about having kids has clearly put her in a mood.

"Hmm... maybe not just yet. There might be other options out there and it's best not to settle on the first apparent one. If we don't find anything we like better, we'll use the potion."

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

"Alright. I'll get the ingredients together, and dry them out for just in case," Trick promises, clearly enjoying the closeness, "I'll also look into researching what all our options are."

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Titan in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

"And today, we can celebrate this decision." Sophie gives Trick another kiss and leans closer to her ear. "And practice a little..."

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mouchabière Residence]

A grin stretches on Trick's face, and she'll take Sophie's hand to lead her wife upstairs, "I think that's a fine idea."

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Jace's Place]

"Probably..." Khannie begrudgingly admits. She DOES have a lot going on right now. School, getting better at shadow illusions, spending time with her friends, punching abstract manifestations of despair... typical early teen stuff.

Well anyway!

She's got some homework to do and a birthday party to get ready for!

Khannie really isn't sure what's going to be going down with the party this year.

Apparently it is all a big surprise.

Probably a cool surprise.

Stay tuned to find out?

[Jade and Jason's Lair]

Tristan called ahead.

He had been out on a day trip (which had turned into an over-night trip) and he found a robot. He's now carrying said robot in a wheel-barrow to a certain 'abandoned' warehouse because carrying the thing would be really awkward. Considering how tough it is the machine actually isn't all that heavy, but lugging the thing around would still be a pain in the butt. Regardless! Once he arrives he'll knock on the door!
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Jason's Lair
    Jade opens the door for Tristan to wheel the robot in. "Is that it? Do you know what's wrong with it?" She leans over the defunct machine curiously. "Robotics aren't my strong suit, but I'll see what I can do."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Jade and Jason's Lair]

Tristan says "robot", but the more accurate description would be "some kind of plastic skeleton". Green certainly bears an uncanny resemblance, now that she's off and not protecting an image. Her skull-flap is still open, and Jade will be able to see the same set of contents as Tristan and company did before; a glowing cylinder, a trio of black boxes connected by cables, a breaker switch in the ON position, and an LCD screen, displaying the same message:

WARNING: 2nd Law Violation Failsafe Activated. Please Restrain Unit And Enter Operating Number To Enable Startup.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

20. - Top - End - #1490

[Jade and Jason's Lair]

"It accidentally knocked a kid in the head with a rock when it was trying to get a bat monster off her face," Tristan says as he wheels the robot into the lair proper. "Right after that happened it shut down. My guess is that it's some sort of Asimov style three laws of robotics thing."

Tristan is no expert on robotics either, but he knows enough sci-fi to be familiar with the three laws.

No hurting humans, no disobeying humans (unless that would violate law one), and no allowing harm to come to yourself (unless that would violate law one or two).

"I'm not totally sure what her operating number is, though when she was asked about herself earlier she spit out a pretty long string of digits-"

Which Tristan repeats here.

"-which might be that? Don't know for sure. Also probably worth mentioning that I'm pretty sure she's a Chinese Box."

That's a well known term in the realm of AI. A Chinese Box being a machine that does a pretty good job of pretending like it knows what words mean. Like a very clever CleverBot.

"She was bugging some of the humans she met to designate themselves as her owner. Didn't ask me after I did some fire breathing since I guess that means I'm not human," Tristan explains.

He still thinks he's at least mostly human. Just an enhanced human. When he's Chimera, though, he definitely isn't.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair
    "That doesn't add up. The laws are 'don't harm humans or by inaction allow a human to come to harm', 'obey humans unless it contradicts the first law', and 'protect yourself, unless it contradicts either of the first two laws.' What you described sounds like a first law violation to me. Unless she was ordered to throw the rock?" That's definitely a possibility. "Hopefully, that's the right number. Here, get her up on this workbench." Jade begins to enter in the number as soon as Green is in place.
    Last edited by bc56; 2021-09-12 at 11:09 PM.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #1492

[Jade's Lair]

"Something like it, maybe not exactly the same," Tristan admits as he sets the machine up onto the work bench. "And I'm not sure if that's actually the number we're after. If not there's probably a way to get into the systems and figure it out."

Is there a way to bind Green down?

Tristan isn't really sure what kinds of restraints would be useful if the robot can just casually walk through a stone wall regardless of how decrepit it was.

That's a TON of force.

"Honestly if you do have to work on her the whole Nexus translation thing might be doing us some favors. Given a zillion and a half different operating systems from different worlds I have no idea how different computer systems would manage to communicate with each other."

Thank goodness for Nexus nonsense!

"Is Jason around? The robot has a very strong thing for wanting to obey humans and I don't think you'll qualify thanks to the ears. Unless you've figured out how to make those disappear again."

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair
    "He's at the old NERD base borrowing the supercomputer. Trying to track down Legion. The two of us are the only members still around, unfortunately." A more dedicated super team would be a good thing, but it's just part-timers for the most part, nowadays. "Ah, that, I can do, easy. No restraints necessary. Pass me those wire cutters and those pliers." Jade goes about peeling apart the shell of Green's neck with the intent of examining the wires connecting her brain to the rest of her systems. Obviously, power needs to stay in place, but if she could restrict the gynoid to only having control of its head, that would be useful.
    Last edited by bc56; 2021-09-13 at 10:49 AM.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #1494

[Jade's Lair]

It looks like the designers had a similar idea. Once the plating around the neck is removed, Jade will find that the connections are limited a single socket, albeit a well-secured one. Nothing that couldn't be dismantled in a few moments with a screwdriver.

Should Jade choose to do that, a different message will appear on the LCD:

Disconnected. System Starting In Read-Only Mode.

Followed by the skull flickering to life, its eyes turning to examine the room it's in. "Hello. I am GT-74136-042797, designation 'Green'. How can I help you?" The skull will croon.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

25. - Top - End - #1495

[Jade's Lair]

Well.

That certainly did it.

Tristan wouldn't have thought of disconnecting the head from the rest of the body.

But that's probably why Jade is the engineering genius and he isn't, right?

"Hello again, Green, it's Tristan. I brought you to a friend who's going to be doing some repairs on you," Tristan explains to the robot. "Do you know why you shut down earlier?"

He figures it can probably answer diagnostic questions like that.

Probably.

Hopefully being able to tell it that the girl that got rock-clonked is fine will help.

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair
    Jade ducks out of sight of the robot head for a few minutes to return with a hat, an oversized one that covers her ears without being too uncomfortable. As long as nobody notices that she doesn't have ears in the normal place, she could pass for human. "Hi, I'm Jade. I'll be doing what I can to fix you. Can you tell me what's wrong?"

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #1497

[Jade's Lair]

"My actions resulted in harm to a human without human authorization." Green replies evenly. "This caused a failsafe in my system to shut me down." She blinks at Jade's hat, which seems slightly out of place, but doesn't comment on it. "Is she well? I did not see the end of our encounter."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

28. - Top - End - #1498

[Jade's Lair]

Large hats: the best way to pass as human.

"Okay I figured it was probably something like that," Tristan replies with a nod. "She was fine. She didn't suffer any significant harm and I was able to chase off the rest of the bat-heads. I was able to find some people who can cure the malady the monsters spread, so all the girls will be fine. I escorted them to a safer place while you were deactivated."

See, Green?

Everything is fine.

Everything worked out just peachy.

Nothing to worry about.

"You're still looking for a human owner, right? Is that a directive you have to follow?"

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Ogre in the Playground