New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Home 26: Rooms to let, fifty cents

Miri's House, Which Has Undead In It

Arron winces as he treats his cuts with medicine, but Vaemys doesn't know what to do with the disinfectant.

She'll sit in the chair and open the book. It's only warm to Vaemys; others who touch it won't feel its warmth. Nobody else can read it, either, since the symbols within look to be some kind of language but not one easily recognisable. Vaemys sees the book as written in her native Lyseni dialect of Valerian.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Cass' Tower]

Electra stays quiet for awhile, and watches the scenery, such as it is. She doesn't usually travel through much of it, just teleports in near Cass's tower when she comes to visit, so seeing some of the countryside around the tower is a nice change of pace. The hills and fields have a pastoral appeal; she can understand why Cass chose to live here. When they reach the pond road, she spends a lot of time looking at it, between the trees and whatever else might obstruct the view.

"This is really nice! I can understand why people around here like this area," she says, loud enough that Cass should be able to hear her through the helmet and over whatever wind noise there might be, though it's not nearly as loudly as she'd need to say it if the bike had a motor.
    [Cass' Tower]

"The townsfolk are friendly enough," says Cass, pulling the bike to a halt near an outcropping a fair distance from town. It's not much of a lookout point. Just a little dagger of land jutting scarcely six or seven feet from the beach below. But it seems close enough for the local kids, judging from the empty beer cans, bottles, and... little square wrappers dotting the beach below. It's probably better at around sunset, when the sun starts to kiss the horizon, sending a spray of orange and purple scattering across the width of the pond, with the lights just starting to twinkle on in the twilight of the town beyond. But late morning as it is... it's alright, probably.

"Then again, I'm a pretty good neighbor, as far as reclusive, tower-dwelling wizards go. Stop by every now and then for groceries or the odd blacksmithing or carpentry that I need done. Never kidnapped anyone. Never set loose any twisted abominations to roam the countryside."

Cass glances at Electra, and then back out over the pond.
    "Glad you like it."
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2020-10-10 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[Cass' Tower]

Electra shifts her hands forward, around Cass's waist and leans forward against Cass's back, giving her a gentle squeeze, and a soft smile when the sorceress glances back at her.

"It's beautiful. I'm sure it's breathtaking closer to sunset, too. Thank you for sharing it with me. Was the countryside here why you chose to take the tower? Or was that just a happy coincidence?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Felix's Tower]

Krayger thinks about it. The tower hadn't been that hostile. Even if he's rather annoyed at the mirror challenge for clearly trying to mess with his head somehow. The rest hadn't been easy per se, but they all had been straightforward. He feels accomplished but not a changed person or anything.
    "I suppose I've learned that some people are willing to go to some extreme and surprisingly roundabout lengths to avoid company. And that I really should invest in some means of limited flight at some point. That climb was rather exhausting."
    That's probably not the answer Felix was hoping for. But minotaurs aren't really known for their deep philosophical statements.
    [Felix's Tower]

"Mmm, rather like myself, perhaps?" Felix muses, with an amused expression. "If you recall, neither you or anyone else was supposed to find me out here in my tower." He gives Krayger a rather pointed look. There's no malice behind it, just a little reminder that Krayger should count himself lucky that he got away with disturbing an old mage's retirement.

"Consider perhaps why a phoenix would go to such lengths now though, hmm? Every material from a phoenix is prized for some alchemical concotion, magical artifact, or component to casting a spell, and few are the people willing to acquire these materials through polite methods such as yourself. Even then, if they simply welcomed all those willing to approach them in a friendly manner, they'd pick themselves bare of feathers to satisfy their demands, and never have a moment's peace!" Felix leans back and nods thoughtfully, "Never forget that what we are doing here is not easy. Power always comes at a cost, and we must always consider not only the cost to ourselves, but the cost to others involved before deciding if something is worth doing."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Felix's Tower

Krayger can't help but smile a bit. It's true. This tower is meant to be secret. That's why he hasn't even really told Koshal much about his lessons.
    "That's actually part of why I found it so confusing. The tower was enchanted to levitate. They could have done away with the chains and it would have been impossible to reach without flight magic or wings. And they could have just sealed the doors. Instead they bothered to make the challenges winnable. So they did want visitors, just ones who could solve puzzles? It was an odd game to be playing, I think."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #186
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Miri's Undead Boarding House]

A minute later, Miri comes by where Vaemys is, sweeping things up with an old broom, and notices the disinfectant sitting there unused.
    "Do you need help with the bandages? We should really clean up the cuts so they don't get infected, we don't-"
    She can't resist glancing at the book, you see.
    "You can read that?" The language is totally unrecognizable to her. Their world must not have had that script anywhere near her old home.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2020-10-11 at 11:49 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Miri's House, Which Must Be Haunted, It Has Skeleton Horses

"I would have washed them, I had no water." She will unwrap and let Miri apply the disinfectant, however. "Yes, it's written in Valerian. Not High Valerian, which I'd expect for a tome like this. It's written in Lyseni Valyrian, the language I grew up with. It's very interesting, and quite easy to follow. Thus far, at least." If Miri has actually encountered something written in Valyrian before, she still won't recognise the text. The book has chosen Vaemys as its reader, though it isn't as smart as the alchemy book that Miri has. In fact, Miri can't sense a mind there at all; it can fake a mind well enough to recognise someone that meets an internal list of prerequisites, and teach them at a level according to their ability, and hide the information from anyone that it hasn't selected as worthy of its knowledge. Miri could possibly find something to interact with, but she would have to search for it.

8. - Top - End - #188

[Felix's Tower]

Felix chuckles and taps his temple knowingly, "Tradition can be a powerful thing for a long-lived creature such as a phoenix. They do not want to be disturbed, but they know that the "way it has always been" is for adventurers to seek them out." He leans back with a knowing smile, "So one such as you encountered makes it challenging, but their sense of tradition and fairness prevents them from just shutting the doors and hiding away altogether. Besides, some enterprising sort will always find a way."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

[Felix's Tower]

"It seems weird to me, but I guess you live long enough and you get into some odd habits." Krayger says thoughtfully. Wait no, he's grinning. That one was definitely on purpose.
    "Now, what are we doing here in the lab, with all our flasks and cauldrons a'bubbling?" he asks, standing up straight.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Cass' Tower]

Electra shifts her hands forward, around Cass's waist and leans forward against Cass's back, giving her a gentle squeeze, and a soft smile when the sorceress glances back at her.

"It's beautiful. I'm sure it's breathtaking closer to sunset, too. Thank you for sharing it with me. Was the countryside here why you chose to take the tower? Or was that just a happy coincidence?"
    [Cass' Tower]

Cass takes a hand off the handlebars, resting it over Electra's hand and squeezing it in response.

"I actually prefer cities," she admits. "I like having people around. Activity. Events. Being just another face in the crowd. Here in the countryside it's so... remote. And everyone in town knows who I am. It's disturbing."

I couldn't pass up a place like that tower, though. I suppose on days like this the quiet can be... relaxing. Especially if you have someone to enjoy the quiet with."
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2020-10-14 at 10:55 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Miri's Horse-Haunted House]

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "I would have washed them, I had no water." She will unwrap and let Miri apply the disinfectant, however. "Yes, it's written in Valerian. Not High Valerian, which I'd expect for a tome like this. It's written in Lyseni Valyrian, the language I grew up with. It's very interesting, and quite easy to follow. Thus far, at least." If Miri has actually encountered something written in Valyrian before, she still won't recognise the text. The book has chosen Vaemys as its reader, though it isn't as smart as the alchemy book that Miri has. In fact, Miri can't sense a mind there at all; it can fake a mind well enough to recognise someone that meets an internal list of prerequisites, and teach them at a level according to their ability, and hide the information from anyone that it hasn't selected as worthy of its knowledge. Miri could possibly find something to interact with, but she would have to search for it.
    Miri will go about disinfecting the cuts and giving the girl new clean bandages.
    "Lucky to find."
    As Miri has never read Velyrian (at least not while knowing what it was) and the book doesn't seem to be intelligent, she's not too suspicious. Perhaps something about the book was in a familiar Lyseni style, and that's why Vaemys subconsciously grabbed that one in particular. "What is it about? I'm afraid the books here are, as you see, pretty disorganized."

"Anyway, I'm going to be cleaning the place up for a while, feel free to just read."

If there's a rattling from the attic, it's probably just a raccoon or pseudodragon. Nothing to worry about.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Miri's House Haunted by Horses

"Magic of flame and smoke. Some simple, some not-so-simple. I think I could learn it." Vaemys grins at the thought of being a pyromancer, though maybe Miri should find somewhere that isn't indoors for her to practice.

Arron will probably go check out the noises from the attic once he's happy with the orders he's given the skeletal horses. Bitey remains on his shoulder; he has plans to make Bitey a familiar, and for that he'd need a ritual space. The attic might be a good place for one, if it's large and empty.

13. - Top - End - #193

NinjaGuy

[Cass' Tower]

Electra's smile widens a bit, and she squeezes Cass gently for a moment.

"On my home, the world is...divided. Civilization is all massive city-states, surrounded mostly by a recovering ecosystem. I lived for most of my life in the city, or moving from city to city, and we only really needed to do a lot of fighting in the wilderness when there was a full-scale war on. Living somewhere remote, or rather, being able to live somewhere remote without issues, is....a nice change of pace for me. I can definitely understand why everyone knowing your name here would make you uncomfortable, though." Actual fame isn't something that she ever really considered as a possibility for her, despite her down-time activities back in her home dimension.

"The quiet here is definitely better shared with someone, though."
    She eases up on the squeeze, and whispers in Cass's ear. "Shall we take a stroll?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cass Tower - Pondside]

"Well, you certainly found it, with that lake place of yours," says Cass, smiling.

She pushes the kickstand into place, turning off the bike before she dismounts it, sliding an arm around Electra's waist herself as she turns around to kiss her.

"Okay. Let's do it."
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2020-10-20 at 11:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Wow Jade. You sure had a magical night.
    A very, very magical night. You don't think nobody noticed, did you? Well, you probably knew someone did. You did go around jumping at people.
    Jade? Jaaaaade? Are you okay? I was calling all night. Please uh, blink three times if they replaced your brains with pumpkins. Hello? asks a small but deep voice in her mind. Hopefully she isn't looking embarrassing at the moment. But he didn't want to wait until she gets dressed, apparently.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Jade's just enjoying a normal morning after her magical night. Woke up with her antlers gone and only a few apple and chestnut blossom petals on her pillow to remind her that it actually happened. She got up, picked out some clothes for the day, and got into the shower. Even as Jason, she sang in the shower, but never if anyone could hear. So it's no surprise that she's singing now. Even if she'd never admit it to anyone else, her female voice sounds quite pretty. But she's startled by the voice in her head. "Gah!" She rapidly turns the shower off, grabs a towel, and wraps it around herself. Still dripping wet, she scolds the voice. "Don't surprise me like that! Did you know what I was doing!?" She's acting under the assumption that W can see her, but that he couldn't see her before he called.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Um. No? If I could see you when I contacted you, why would I bother manifesting physically? That's how I interact with the physical world. Anyway, physically manifesting is a lot of work and I had to keep up all my strength in case you got turned into a pumpkin patch or were trapped in a cider-vat or something. You're not, right?
    The voice sounds like the Walter that Jade remembers, but different. Deeper. Older.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"No, I'm not. I'm still my normal human self, at home." All the weird last night was temporary. Even though W can't see her, she still feels weird being mostly unclothed while talking to a fertility god. That has... Implications she'd rather not consider. She dries off, doing her best to remain covered, and slips into comfortable clothes.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Okay. Well. You're okay, right? Because I went to check in with one of my favorite mortals and found her entirely blocked off from my contact by some other embodiment of Autumn. Not that I'm the jealous type, but more that, well, you're two for two with meeting high-level beings and winding up with different organs. And yes, I know I was the second of two. My younger aspects aren't terribly responsible. Actually she's three for three, but Jade hasn't left to go be bird'd yet.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"One of your favorite mortals?" That's interesting. Jade wonders why. "Sorry, I guess? Chestnut was nice. And we agreed to only do the thing for one night. It was fun." Jade gives herself a quick check, even though she knows she's fine. "Yep, all organs are in their normal places." She's still female though, but she's fine with that. She waves a hand above her head and runs it through her hair. "The antlers and flowers are gone too." She checks in her closet. Well. There is one thing that didn't change back. "My dress is still changed though." It's a fancy gown made from autumn leaves rather than the black dress she'd worn to dress up as a vampire.

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Oh so there WERE changes? I knew it. People who get hit with weirdness from Libra are the most likely to get hit by weirdness again. It's a cosmic force at work. Trust me, I would know. Man, would he ever. This is all your fault, cosmic forces who like having this happen.
    But. Um. You don't have to apologize. I know you don't really think of me as your patron. We're not really in any form of partnership that would warrant a jealous response. But well, I can count on my toes the amount of people who have summoned me. And I'm a centaur at the moment. Eeeeeven if you summoning me was entirely my own fault, unlike fixing the hippo-kobold or Anima wanting a favor or making that lady a lady. So uh...you have a nice night?
    Ooops did Wicke just admit that he's only actually been summoned by mortals four times? That's a little embarrassing.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Is it weird that Jade wants to hug Wicke after he told her that? No wonder he's so invested in her, if no one ever wants to talk to him! "I'm sorry you don't have more followers. If you want me to talk to you more, I can do that. And the night was nice. I, and Chestnut, ran around scaring people. It was fun."

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Oh! Wait! I forgot about those nice dragon-lads. So I can't count on my hooves. Somehow she can hear him chuckle. Um. Well. I have some followers. But they pray for little things. Crops. Cows. I barely get to do one miracle a year! I could handle at least two or three. I can make kobolds into dragons! I created my own species on that one! And I think I did a good job. Hells, at this point I've done more miracles with dragons than people with my own animal shapes! Well. If you don't count the horns I gave that girl. Kind of what happens when you ask a cow-goddess for a killer lady-bod. Hm, has he indicated he has female aspects before?
    Sometimes it's hard not to go overboard. Uh, I dunno if you have anyone in your life or plans, but I can't advise asking me for help with kids. I did try to help those poor dragons, but I think Winry couldn't help herself. I got the distinct impression that they had more eggs than they were expecting.
    A pause.
    I know I am doing an absolutely terrible job of making you want to associate with me. Uh. How's that curse of yours doing?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"Well, there is someone. A friend. Well, a bit more than a friend. I met a guy, but he got turned into a nymph in the whole Buttercup disaster. And she wants to be a guy again, and I could provide it. But it's only temporary. Whenever he uses any nymph powers, he turns back. You mentioned you made a guy into a girl. Could you make a nymph into a guy?" That doesn't really answer his question though. "Oh, the curse is fine. Really not much of a problem." She still hasn't gotten it looked at.
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-10-22 at 09:34 PM.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #205

NinjaGuy

[Cass Tower - Pondside]

Electra holds the kiss for a brief instant, then gives Cass a smile as she dismounts the bike alongside the sorceress, before taking Cass's hand as they wander away. She's quiet for a few moments, enjoying the companionship and the scenery, her gentle smile one of contentment. She looks like she might start humming again, but for now seems to be holding it in.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Well properly speaking I said I- nevermind. Oof. Nymphs. That's tricky. Nymphs are suppose to be girls. That's how it works. Um. Well, I'd probably need to meet him and figure out how his kind of fey works. I don't have a ton of experience with them. But I still got some power saved up. I can certainly try. Worst case scenario, I can't do more than you. Best case I can work a miracle. Moderate hope if the rules for him say that nymphs gotta be girls I can try to at least reduce the femininity. Wow that's a really hard word to say and I don't even have lips at the moment.
    Uh, but yes. Properly speaking, I am currently in my most MANLY aspect. If I could ever do it, it'd be now. At least unless you wanted a full reincarnation while I'm the spirit of Spring and New Life. That's super drastic, though. I've never done it, just thought about it.

You do a lot of thinking when you're a god barely anyone prays to.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"I'd have to talk to him about it. But I definitely will." Jade's heading downstairs now. Set out some leftovers for the rats, slap an egg in the skillet, pour out a glass of milk. Milk. She's never thought about it quite the same way since she realized she could produce it. Some things about her current anatomy are weird. But she mainly needs to stay focused on her conversation. "Is there anything else you want to talk about? I'm still not really used to the patron god thing."

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Well, if you're safe and happy that's all I called to check up on. And I don't like to gossip too much. I'll meet your date if he decides to give it a shot. Oh and don't worry about when you ask. Hm, wait, that nymph thing in Inside, he'd be a deer, right? Okay maybe don't call me during a full moon. Deer and wolves don't get along great. I should try being a stag sometime. A pause. Again.
    Sorry I tend to ramble. Uh, yeah I didn't have a ton to talk about, I guess. Unless you wanted to ask me anything.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"Don't call on a full moon. Got it." Jade thinks for a moment. "You told me earlier that I should have my curse looked at. Can you do that? I like it, but at the same time, I don't want to hurt anyone because it does something unexpected." Now that there's someone in her life, she's thinking a little more cautiously. Especially since she's going to be regularly using it on him.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Felix's Tower]

"It seems weird to me, but I guess you live long enough and you get into some odd habits." Krayger says thoughtfully. Wait no, he's grinning. That one was definitely on purpose.
    "Now, what are we doing here in the lab, with all our flasks and cauldrons a'bubbling?" he asks, standing up straight.
    [Felix's Tower]

"What we are doing, dear boy, is starting work on what you're after." Felix counters with a wry smile. "This would be the initial stage of a potion of longevity, which would be what we need those phoenix feathers for, among other things. Now, the actual process is very complex, and we're going to be at it for quite a while, but it serves as an opportunity for you to get a solid footing in alchemy, as well as an opportunity for me to send you out on a few quests in my stead."

Felix is a canny one, isn't he? Making his apprentice actually do work for his reward!

"As I've mentioned, immortality is unattainable, at least not without paying a price far heavier than you'd ever want to. But this concoction, once complete, will restore a bit of youthful vigor to the imbiber, and extend their lifespan. Sound good?"