New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Home 26: Rooms to let, fifty cents

[Jade’s Lair]

Aries exchanges a look with Jade before fixing poor Wicke with his gaze, his eyes full of pity.

"You didn't ask for any of this either, did you?" he asks. "You're like my sisters and I. And like Jade. You got assaulted by weird."

Oh oh.

Determination is building now.

Suddenly Aries' problem seems quite small all of a sudden. He already has a solution. Sure he's Lambslaural when he and Jade aren't spending time together. Sure he changes back any time he steps through the trees or roots. But so long as Jade is around he can feel like himself again with her help.

But poor Wicke?

He had something even stranger than becoming the minor goddess of a park in a weird city dumped into his lap.

Aries makes a choice here pretty quickly. "You don't, um, you don't need to tell me what I can't do," he says, a little less (or a lot less) forcefully than how he felt. "My problem isn't a problem so long as Jade is w-willing to help me. We need to find a way to help you, mister Wicke."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Jade gives Aries a strange look. He doesn't have to give up being a man full-time for Wicke's sake. "We could probably fix both your problems. I'm sure making Aries a man all the time will be easier than solving Wicke's problem." Jade's not exactly sure what Wicke's problem is. Is it not being present in the world or is it constantly changing, or both? And nobody's brought up her problems, which is not terrible because they're relatively minor, but she would like a way to stop worrying about whether she really likes being a lady or is being forced into it.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Wicke smiles, but shakes his head.
    "No, my dear. I can assure you that the history of Walter and Willa Gallope is a long history of saying 'Hit me, I can take it' and then being unable to take it. We didn't ask for most of what we got, because we were always too proud, too arrogant, or too stupid to be able to ask for what we really wanted, or to learn to stop trusting beings that can rewrite us at will. I'm not saying you shouldn't want to help. It's a very commendable trait. But I can assure you, I could have walked away at no less than five points on the road that got me here. And Willa and I used to be the same person; that is a long one to explain." Wicke that is not nearly as uncommon a trait as you think it is.
    He waves a hand.
    "Besides, Jade is right. I saved up all my godly energies to solve you and Jade's problems. If I threw away my powers before I did that it would be like buying vegetables and then letting them rot in the fridge. Just a big waste. There's no reason I can't do all of these things if it's in the right order."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #244

[Jade's Lair]

"I guess..." Aries replies at the pushback. Really, his problems really aren't that much of a problem. And maybe he's a little worried that layering more weird on top of the weird he already has might have unexpected results.

But...

He's willing to trust Jade.

If she thinks this is a good idea he'll give it a try.

"Um... okay. What do I need to do?" he asks a bit tentatively.

Does he just...

Stand there?

He honestly has no idea.

As for helping Wicke... it's obvious that he isn't happy. If he isn't happy then he needs aid too, right?

And Jade had her own fears and anxieties about all this weird. Maybe they should talk about that, too? But... maybe not in front of the huge horse guy.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"At least try it. We can all help each other." Jade stands back to let Wicke work. She's not sure what's going to happen now.

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

"Just stand still. I might need to look at your normal self. There's probably a lot of layers of weird going on here." Wicke mutters and gently places a hand on Aries' head.
    "Hmmmm." Wicke is trying his best to stare into Aries' soul here.
    Only literally. He's trying to make sure that there is one. Which there does seem to be. So Aries isn't like those angels that are just kind of one soul walking around. There's some material there, even if it's mostly Weird Faerie Stuff (TM). He can sort-of tell that there's STUFF going on. There's Jade's thin layer of Libra-magic. There's the Soul that is Aries, which is definitely weird-looking from what he understands souls to look like. And yet kind of familiar. And right in the middle is the Fae stuff wrapped tightly around the soul. Definitely not something he could ever pull away. You would need an awfully amazing soul-surgeon for that and he is a blunt instrument. He does find what he's looking for, though. These are the sort of fairy things that have rules. Not really like people do. With the right magic mortals don't even have to breathe but are still altogether the same. But maybe that's an issue? The Soul and the Stuff aren't quite gelling, perhaps? That would certainly cause the feelings Aries is having. Like when Lee made Walter a lady without anything else.

Of course, Wicke doesn't like touching people's minds without permission except instincts necessary to function. So that's out. Maybe he can just probe a little to see how much leeway they have? He gets the feeling that trying to go against those rules won't work. And the last thing he wants is to Unmake him somehow because he unraveled something fundamental to the nymph's being. But maybe there's some leeway. If Aries used to be a guy but being a nymph made him a lady, maybe he can work with that? Just make Aries a little more like himself and less like what this role of his demands without breaking the rules. You can be a female nymph without being that feminine. And you can be pretty without that too. He just needs to see if Aries' sides will let Wicke rebalance things.
    "Boop."

Wicke removes his hand and steps back. "That's all I'm willing to do to start out. I've a terrible record of going too far, so I'm starting small and reasonable before I try to make all...this a permanent thing. I've never worked with your kind of fae before, and you've been through enough without me mucking it up royally. With any luck your Rules aren't so restrictive that they would push back against something so small."

7. - Top - End - #247

[Jade's Lair]

There are three components to any given fae. Their soul, which is their fundamental person-ness. Their mask, which defines their identity and what sort of person they are. And their body, which is an effigy made of a few material things and a whole bunch of gossamer.

In Aries' case there are lambslaural leaves, plum branches, and human bones corresponding to roughly a third of a human skeleton. The mask is likewise incomplete. He only has a third of one. As a result he feels a deep level of cognitive dissonance between what he is and what he feels like he SHOULD be. If Lambslaural had gotten a full mask like most of the other Buttercups she wouldn't feel so out of place in her nymph body.

BOOP!

Nothing obvious changes.

Possibly because Aries is already a hot dude.

"Umm..." he mutters, looking down at himself. "I don't feel any different. Maybe I should... um... here, let me..."

And then?

He'll climb back into his tree.

Getting into that thing is awkward due to the pot. The clothing is, of course, left behind. A few moments later Lambslaural sprints back out, landing on her four hooves before quickly turning around and picking up the shirt to slip it on. She prods at herself a few times, ears drooping.

"Um... I don't think it did anything? Or if it did going into a tree removed it,"
    she says, tugging at the shirt Jade loaned her. "Jade's magic works so long as I don't root, too."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"I'm sorry Aries, I..." Jade tries to give Lambslaural a hug. "Is there anything else you can try?" She asks Wicke, not certain of what his answer will be.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Wicke wrings his hands.
    "Well yes but that would involve the big guns. And frankly, after taking a look around in there I don't think I want to bring those out. It's just that I well, it's like giving human medicine to something else just because it's also a mammal. Aries has a human soul in there but trying to do what I do normally...I really, really don't want to break anything. You've been through enough. With some experience I could try. But with something this delicate I'm afraid I'm all energy and no direction." He would be far more confident if he actually knew something about how these fae worked or they had someone on hand who did. But Inside is still figuring things out with these folks. What if he tried simply giving Aries a Blessing of Growth but instead of letting him grow into his Role it just made the Park start getting bigger? For once he has to consider the repercussions of casually throwing magic around. This isn't just helping dragons hook up.

10. - Top - End - #250

[Jade's Lair]

"D-don't worry about it so much, mister Wicke, it's okay."

Lambslaural gets a hug.

She still likes hugs.

Hugs are great no matter what shape you are.

"It's okay, Jade. You can just keep using your magic on me. I don't mind. Maybe... umm... maybe we can do something else?" Lambslaural suggests.

Liiiike...

Uuhhh...

Oh!

"Maybe we could plant the tree outside?"

How on earth are you going to do that? It is a huge tree Lambslaural.

"Is there anywhere nearby with a patch of ground? Maving one of my trees in a pot feels... weird. N-not that I'm mad about putting it in a pot! That was a good idea."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"There's an empty lot a few buildings down the street, but I figured you wouldn't want your tree growing somewhere full of trash and stuff." Jade goes to get the dolly. She's not sure how they'll get the tree out the door though. It's a big tree by now.

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"I can still look at your curse later, Jade. Probably not something now if you ah, would like to spend time with Aries."
    No one has told Wicke about Aries/Lambslaurel using different names for their respective shapes.
    "I can uh, just go do something else if you two want some time alone." Wicke gets the distinctive feeling he's being a third wheel here.

13. - Top - End - #253

[Jade's Lair]

Lambslaural perks up, glancing between the horse dude and her girlfriend.

"You were going to look at the curse on Jade, too?" she asks.

She didn't know she was intruding on something!

"O-oh you two should do that first. I can go start on cleaning up the garbage."

The gaiad hurries over the pot and just sort of...

Scoops one hand into the soil and pulls out the plum seed. The whole great big tree flickers like a mirage and vanishes.

Huh.

That's certainly something.

"O-once you're done you can help me clean up, too? Umm... i-if you have any garbage bags those might be nice," she says, clutching the seed in one hand before hurrying outside. She should have known Jade had other plans and here she was trying to monopolize them. Stupid! She should have asked first.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"It'll just be a minute, then I'll be right there to help. The lot's just a couple buildings that way. Can't miss it!" Jade shows Lambslaural out to the district of old, run-down warehouses not far from the harbor that she calls home. Not exactly a pleasant place. The lot is where she says it is, a flat plot of dirt with a couple scraggly bushes and a lot of litter. A pair of seagulls are fighting over an empty bag of chips. A swarm of flies are devouring a dead rat. It's not a nice place, so it should be obvious why Jade was reluctant to put the tree there.

Jade turns to Wicke. "You should help. You'll get to actually be in the world for a while, and maybe we'll get some inspiration to help with Aries' problem. But first, the curse. Just a quick look, tell me if there's anything unexpected, and then tie it up so it can't expand too much. Right?"

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"I probably can't stay for a super long time. But for a while, sure. Just as long as I'm not coming between you two. I'll just take a look." Wicke tenuously takes a good look at this stupid Libra curse. He's used to her wishes going overboard, but he's never seen her magic grow over time. Luckily he's an expert at things growing. He should at least be able to check out what parts of Jade it's got its tendrils into.

16. - Top - End - #256

[Jade's Lair]

Not too far away.

Lambslaural does her best to put her mistake out of thought, prancing down the dock to the empty lot. The gulls pause in their squabbling to peer at her.

"O-oh. What a mess..." she says, looking over the junked out plot of land. "You could be pretty, but no one has given you much love," she says softly to the earth. "I know just what you need!"

Then?

She takes a deep breath and begins singing a wordless song, the sound of the melody drifting hypnotically over the waterfront.

The two gulls are the first to come hopping over to her, followed by several more scraggly gulls. Pigeons descend and land on nearby rooftops and wharf rats come climbing up out of storm drains. Several raccoons emerge from under a building along with a possum or two. Roaches come pouring from cracks as flies buzz around the lot.

"Okay friends," Lambslaural says to the gathered 'woodland creatures'. She raises one arm, vines growing from the limb and weaving together into... a rake? "We have a lot of work to do to make this garden nice and pretty. I'm sure everyone here will be much happier if they have a beautiful place to admire."

A chorus of buzzing, squaking, chattering, and cooing rises from the gathered animals as Lambslaural gets to work, singing all the while.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-10-25 at 05:37 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Walter takes a look. It doesn't look good. The curse has infected all of her body to render her biologically completely female, but more worrying might be the extent to which it's infected her mind. Sections responsible for self-identity, sense of style, sexual attraction, modesty, motor control, spatial awareness, balance, empathy, humor, and more are all compromised. And the curse is even hooked up to her soul in a few points, doubtless to allow her to access its magic. The end result is fairly clear. A good chunk of Jade's extant personality is the result of the curse meddling with her mind. "Well? Your thoughts?"

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Wicke takes a deep breath.
    "Jade. I know at least four different beings that could make you a lady or Aries a man as you two are now even if I can't make you a magic wand to do it. Which I totally could." He gives her a good, hard stare. Should he- yes. She's an adult and she can handle being told important information to her face.
    "I say this because Jade, my respect for your boundaries is the absolute only thing keeping me from ripping this thing out of you right now. It's rewriting your entire personality. This curse is as bad as the Role assigned to your boyfriend, just less obvious. If you like how you are, I can set you up, especially as Winry. But do not let this sit in your soul any longer than absolutely necessary." This is likely as stern as she has ever heard him.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2020-10-25 at 06:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Jade looks shocked. She's silent for several seconds before she responds. "I do like this... But... That's just programmed into me, isn't it. All this time, it's just been a lie! I'm not still myself at all, am I? Are my memories fake too? What happens if you remove this? All the friends I made afterwards, who helped me get used to it, did they even matter? Would I still like them? And Aries, is my interest in him fake as well?" She slumps to the floor and begins crying. "I was happy, but now I know that's a lie. I don't know what to believe anymore. How can I decide what to do? I can't trust myself." She pulls a fold of her shirt up to her eyes to cry into. It's soaked in a matter of moments.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Wicke puts his arms around Jade. "No, that's not how these things work. You still exist. You are still you. And you have been growing all this time; we just can't see it under all of that. All those things you did were you. And it's going to be hard, but the only way we'll know for sure who you are is to get rid of the thing causing those doubts." he tells her softly.

Um. Hi. Aries? Wicke here. I had to give Jade some bad news. Giving you fair warning, she's not doing great. oh hey, perks of being a god. You can have multiple conversations at once. Including physical and winds-of-your-mind ones.

21. - Top - End - #261

[Jade's Lair]

"O-oh no! Umm... I'll be right back in,"
    Lambslaural says, leaning her rake up against the side of the dilapidated fence surrounding the lot. "Friends, keep up the good work, okay? I'll be right back."

And then Aries will head off back toward the warehouse!

...hopefully the pigeons and gulls don't eat all the roaches while she's away.

That would be tragic.

Lambslaural is by no means slow!

But...

She probably won't make it back until the next round.

Prance faster, Lambslaural!

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Jade sniffs. "But what if changing who I am hurts people? What if being myself again, what if I'm happier like this? She says something a bit difficult next. "I wish I had some of Buttercup's brain fuzz. They knew they were being controlled, and they didn't care." Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Wicke gives his best supportive smile.
    "If you're happier how you are now, then you will have made your choice. And I'll put you back. I might be Wicke but I'm still pretty good at that sort of thing. And my blessings are safe. Mostly." he assures her with a wink.

24. - Top - End - #264

[Jade's Lair]

Hey look!

There's Lambslaural!

Wow she looks really worried.

"What's wrong what happened?" she asks, eyes flicking between Jade and Wicke.

Nothing but concern here.

She isn't dumb, not by any stretch of the imagination.

She left knowing they were going to talk about the curse on Jade, the one that made Jade a woman.

And now... Jade is really upset about something. Lambslaural's mind is racing with all the worst possible things it might be.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"It's the curse. I found out it's altering my personality." Jade looks up at Lambslaural. She seems like she could really use a hug. "Wicke's going to remove it so I can find out what I really think. About... Everything." The implications are clear. When the curse goes down, Jade might not be the same person anymore. She might not feel the same way about Aries.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade's Lair

"Removing it is the right thing to do. But I won't do it unless you tell me you want me to. I don't do these things against anybody's will." insists the god of change.
    He might be pushing her to one option, but he's being a little responsible about it.

27. - Top - End - #267

[Jade's Lair]

Oh yeah.

Jade is absolutely getting a hug.

"It's like what Buttercup was doing to people, then?" Lambslaural asks. She can see it in Jade's expression. That's exactly what it was like Maybe not as obvious, but altering how a person thinks and feels all the same. Which means if the curse is removed and Jade is turned back into a guy she might not... she might not like Aries anymore.

At least.

Not like that.

Lambslaural takes in a deep breath.

Then lets it out again.

Once the hug is done, she takes a few tentative steps back and smiles.

"You. Will always. Be my friend. No matter what. Okay?" she's trying her best to be certain and resolute here. What if... what if the person Jade was before likes Lambslaural as she is now? Or... what if he hates her? There's no way to know. But Jade couldn't have been a mean person before, could she?

"My sisters and I... we're trying to decide if we want to be who we were again. I... I think we do. Because being changed by someone else like this? It isn't good. It'll be hard for us. B-but if it's easy for you, I think you should do it."

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Jade looks at Lambslaural, then at Wicke, then back again. "Do it." Then she waits.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jade's Lair]

Wicke nods. "I'll make this as quick as possible."
    He reaches down and well, his hand doesn't actually enter her chest because that would kill her, but he makes a very similar movement before he rips it back, clutching the writhing mass of curse in his mitts before crushing it into whatever the magical equivalent of atoms is.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's Lair

Wicke pulls the writhing mass of curse out, and writhe it does. It's practically alive, a grotesque black thing somewhere between a tapeworm and a thornbush. Jade stumbles back, breathes deeply, and, externally, seems unchanged. "Phew. That..." She hears her soprano voice, and, with an expression of surprise, looks down at herself. "Huh. I thought this would make me a guy again." She cringes a little at hearing herself speak. "This is... Weird." She gently cups her breasts in her hands. "Did it work?" She's not sure it did. She does feel different, but she's still a she. Not that she really has a problem with that, she realizes.

My Nexus characters