New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Vigil VII: Strife Amidst the Clouds

The Skybase has NPC lookouts who will offer transportation to any not obviously hostile people attempting to get to the surface. This process can be completely handwaved, unless there's a very important plot reason not to.

Whereas GLoG concerns itself with redeeming evil-doers (and healing the sick and sheltering refugees etc.) and AMEN is evildoers, VIGIL takes a more neutral approach. VIGIL doesn’t concern itself with good or evil, but with kicking people who need to be kicked. It is dedicated to preventing threats to the Nexus, both massive-scale and small-scale, from muggers and exploding taverns to apocalypsoi and demonic invasions. Of course, given that evil-doers tend to be the ones who cause those things, VIGIL tends to be pitted against the forces of evil more often than not, but it doesn’t care that they’re evil, just that they’re causing trouble. Calling it a 'Good' organization is likely to draw the ire of some of the more morally relative members around. Maybe. Some members do call it a Good organization. This is because it is formed from the merging of the two organizations, WATCHTOWER and HALO. Both were similar in that they fought off those who need to be fought. But then certain elements of HALO turned around and walked away because... reasons? It's awfully confusing, but there's no real reason to care about it, so I'm not gonna!

VIGIL is an organization that exists to stop some bad things from happening. No one is entirely sure which ones, or why.

Oh, and also their first base done got blowed up by demons. It was terribly inconvenient.

Current VIGIL Locations: (PLEASE USE LOCATION TAGS IN THIS THREAD OR I WILL SHOW UP IN YOUR BASEMENT IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT AND SHANK YOU).

[Vigil Skybase] (Official Vigil HQ)

Vigil's new base, built atop a flying island hijacked from the Hunting Grounds. The island is propelled by large engines created by the Mia, priestess of Deus Mechanicus, and is currently on patrol.

Spoiler: Island Surface
    Show
    The portion of the base on the surface of the island consists of several complexes red stone buildings ringing a basin towards the upper end of the island. Flanked by several peaks, the basin serves as a natural shelter to the surface structures of the Vigil base, and is bisected by a narrow lake that flows into a river towards the lower end of the island. Plentiful footpaths crisscross the various complexes that make up the Vigil base, along with a one-way monorail that runs the length of the valley, allowing for rapid transit from one end of the base to another.

The Academy
    Placed strategically at the head of the valley, the Academy serves as a main hub for the base, splitting the two halves of the basin with a complex of several large stone structures. The largest of these structures is the Library, which contains numerous books on magic as well as the theory of warfare and martial arts; some saved from the wreckage of the former Vigil base, others new additions donated by Vigil members or the organization’s various benefactors. The Library also contains several Labs well suited to conducting magical and scientific research, map rooms for strategic planning, and a telescope observatory at the top of a tower for star-gazing. Flanking the Library are the main Armory and Clinic, as well as buildings containing indoor Training Facilities, and elevators and tunnels to the interior and underside of the island. The Library foyer and Academy courtyard also serves as a useful Reception for new visitors to the base.

The Training Grounds
    Taking up an entire half of the basin on one side of the lake, the Training Grounds serve as the main point-of-call for any open-air practice Vigil members should wish to conduct. Separate facilities include a running track; arenas for dueling and swordplay; a shooting and archery range; areas for jousting; and other such facilities for martial pursuits.

The Upper Village
    On the opposite side of the lake to the training grounds is the Upper Village, where the majority of Vigil members will make their residence. The Upper Village is primarily populated by large stone halls. Living space prioritizes economy over luxury, with large barrack halls splitting their space equally between intimately sized single rooms and larger bunkrooms for members that value their privacy a little less. Centered in between these barrack halls are a central plaza and some community buildings, including a mess hall, gym and recreational building, tennis courts and basketball hoops, laundry buildings, and a large bathhouse with group and individual baths. Close to the lake are several fenced-off gardens and open grassy areas ideal for outdoor sports, and the lakeside has a rather nice sandy beach. Magical landscaping is convenient like that.

The Battered Shield
    A large tavern that has opened up in the Upper Village, meant for off-duty Vigil members and their guests to congregate, relax, and get a few drinks. The tavern gets its name from the broken shield above the entrance, which changes weekly. The back wall of the tavern is covered in more damaged and broken shields, each one smashed in the defense of the Nexus. Live music most nights, including from Rain, Vigil's resident bard.

Commanders’ Village
    A little ways uphill from the Upper Village, a set of overlooking terraces set into the mountainside are home to some modest two-story houses. These houses are space provided to the current commanders of Vigil, and each have their own amenities including kitchen, several bedrooms, and plenty of space for studies, workrooms, armories, or shrines to one’s own magnificence.

The Lower Village
    Further down the valley, near its foot where the lake narrows into a river that flows out of the basin, is the Lower Village, partially secluded from the rest of the base amidst the valley walls and the start of the woods that cover the rest of the island. The Lower Village has small, separate houses with their own gardens and more privacy compared to the communal living spaces of the Upper Village.

Emergency Monorail
    This stone railway along runs from the Lower Village, through the Upper Village, up towards the Academy. Runes placed at intervals along the railway allow for the summoning of a magic platform that moves rapidly in one direction up towards the Academy, making it useful for emergencies or other times when expedience is required.

Spoiler: Island Interior
    Show

Command/Combat Information Center
    Located deep within the heart of the island, this easily defensible underground complex could serve as a future command center for Vigil operations. As of right now, it’s sparsely furnished with a few offices including some larger offices for Vigil’s command staff, a mainframe room, and a pair of video conferencing rooms.

Battle Clinic
    Less luxuriously equipped than the main surface clinic, this clinic’s central underground location makes it an ideal spot for emergency treatment in the heat of battle.

Vaults
    Underground vaults for the storage of possible artifacts and items of apocalyptic or near-apocalyptic importance. Currently very empty.

Spoiler: Island Underside
    Show

Airship Gantry
    Carved into the underside of the island is a cavernous open-air hanger, crisscrossed by bridges and hanging platforms. As of yet, a pair of large skyships built for hauling cargo currently occupies the interior, in addition to a small flotilla of yacht-sized skyskiffs for transport. Given Vigil’s past history with flying devices of all sorts, it’s likely to become the home for many more in the future. An upside-down tower near the entrance to the hanger serves as an air-traffic control of sorts, as well as a command tower with communications linked to the other exterior observation towers.

Skyship Reference (bulkier, with less weaponry)

Skyferry Reference (less fancy, no propellers)

Observation Towers
    Upside-down towers dot the underside of the island at various point, providing lookout points for sentries to observe the land below, as well as a possible platform for defensive or siege weapons to be mounted in the future.

[Vigil Safehouses - Inside/Skyside]

A pair of safehouses, located in Inside and Skyside. The Vigil safehouses from the outside look like ordinary, unattractive worn-down apartment blocks, though they are equipped with a heavy door and security systems to prevent entry to non-Vigil members. Inside there are beds, toilet and bathing facilities, and enough supplies and equipment to last about a dozen members each for several months. Intended to be used as temporary staging bases so that Vigil can still operate semi-normally while in hiding, but light on electronic equipment, in order to avoid detection.

[Vigil Ruins]

The old base, located on a cliff-side above the lake. Done got blowed up by demons. They're still there, probably.

CURRENT LEADERS (talk to these guys if you need help - of the regular kind, not psychiatric help. They're not qualified for that.)
    - Wenomir
    - Cessie Mithar

Previous Threads

Spoiler: Out of Character Notes
    Show

1. Conflict is great! It's the heart of any story, and there isn't much to roleplay without it. However, no randomly destroying the place, or doing something to it that'll produce a similar effect (for example, no placing a massive time freeze on the entire area forever). You're allowed to damage it, but destroying it just takes the fun out of it for all the other players. If you do want to run a plot in which a base or the whole organization gets destroyed, though, feel free to run your idea through OoC to see if other people like it and are willing to roleplay it out!
    2. No godmoding/godmodding. It's not permitted in other ACRONYMs, and it isn't in VIGIL. The occasional mishap's OK, repeated offense isn't.
    3. Please try and keep posts longer than one or two lines of speech. Description is appreciated. One-or-two-liners that don't do much are OK once in a while - but not regularly.
    4. If you want random smashy hahaN00BlulzFun, here's not the place. Anything spammy, random, or just plain annoying, can go! Of course, if your silliness is in moderation and well-roleplayed, and considerate of other players, then welcome in.

Thinking about roleplaying in the Nexus? Come say hi in our Discord!
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2022-01-23 at 11:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Vigil VIII: Strife Amidst the Clouds

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    [Dharmic Emissary]

The enormous man nods, deep in thought.

It is quite clear that he is very much invested in what Cessie has to say.

"You speak in half measures, my lady." That was it, the issue he had been struggling to put his finger on. "It is not enough to strive to do good." He attempts to more clearly paint his point of view. "You will, or you will not. The answer is written in the stars, penned in your own hand." Guru Mandhati was speaking of karma, the dharmic cycle of rebirth. Virtuous actions driven by virtuous intentions always resulted in positive karmaphala. One's success is predetermined, yet not at the hands of a creator, but your very own.

At this, he bows his head low. "I will see the five blades broken before me, and when I am done, I will drink freely of a world unpoisoned."

"I believe we are one in this regard, which is as a great relief."
    [Dharmic Emissary]

Cessie wasn't completely sure what he meant by 'half-measurements' so she would have to try to make an educated guess. "Perhaps, but this isn't a place of spiritual enlightenment I'm afraid. As I said earlier, ideally we shouldn't be needed at all but with the world such as it is, it's an unfortunate necessity and we must focus on being practical before anything else. It's just a job however and everyone here can focus on the other parts of enlightenment on their free time if they wish." She makes a dismissive gesture, feeling that this discussion wouldn't go much further now as she was starting having trouble understanding what he was saying.

"But you asked about Wenomir earlier. You wish to, ah, attempt to enlighten him as well?" She wasn't sure he would have much patience with this man however. She had certainly given him a lot already.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

[A Bird in the Hand]

"THE BIRD!" Lapis agrees as she bounces up and down with Anika. She's either oblivious to or unconcerned with Anika's state of undress. "I caught it I caught it I really caught it! I had this idea that maybe if I was a tree then the bird would get close since birds sit in trees and it didn't sit on me but it landed nearby and I put roots underground and then jumped out when it tried to fly away and I CAUGHT IT!"

This is so exciting!

The most exciting thing!

Now everyone at VIGIL will know she's the BEST at scaring at catching birds!

She smiles up at Anika with that huge doofy toothy grin of hers, looking between Anika and the bird (but making to sure keep at least one pair of eyes fixed on the bird at all times 'cuz otherwise it'll disappear that's why catching the bird is so hard!).

"So, so! What do we do with the bird now that we caught it?" Lapis asks.

She's assuming here Anika will know what to do with it since Anika was the one who told her that it's her job to scare birds.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Bird in the Hand

The hoopoe doesn't seem happy, but remains in Lapis' grasp. It reaches out with its mind, however, and tries to give Anika the impression she should tell Lapis to release it. It's not important, and nothing to be worried about. This might not work, if Anika's mind is defended from mental intrusion, or just too focused to let it distract her. It doesn't know Anika very well, and doesn't know how best to approach manipulating her like this.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Wenomir's Villa]

Wenomir waves his hand in an "it's nothing" gesture.

"There are some formalities, like a background check and paperwork to properly add you to our roster, but if everything checks out with that, you're one of us. I'm a man of action and what I've seen here is enough."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Wenomir's Villa]

"Hey, I just take any excuse to drink." Anika remarks with a wink as it's not really true.
    She honestly just drank occasionally as she seemed to be able to get drunk on life itself most of the time.
    "But I'll be waiting outside then if you need to sign stuff." She wasn't sure if Wenomir had actually meant he could skip the signing for now but he might as well do it right now if it all was just a signature, right?
    [Wenomir's Villa]

"Ain't sure there's much background to check on, but if there's anything else y'need from me, it's not like I'm going anywhere. A pleasure to be a part of the team, ah, sir." He remwarks with a wry smile. Been a while since he's had to call anyone sir. He'll sign anything required of him, then turn to take his leave, "My thanks. Now if y'don't mind, it ain't right to keep a lady waiting too long on her drink."

Once outside, Atreyu gives a nod to Anika. "Lead the way, missy. I reckon you've earned yerself the first round on me."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

6. - Top - End - #6

[Wenomir's Villa==>The Battered Shield]

Anika grins as she takes the lead. "Have I? Bet you could have joined without my help, dude. You did pretty well in there. Wen is just kind of a grump sometimes. He was honestly pretty impressed by what you did, he just isn't that good at showing it. Or he's good at not showing it, rather. I'm pretty sure he's convinced that we'd think less of him if he looked impressed by magic of all things." She chuckles and then gestures at the Battered Shield which wasn't too far from the commander's village.
    "But anyway, there it is. The battered shield. Home to some of the unique heroes in the nexus." She explains with a nod. "But there's some civilians in there too. Rain for instance, she makes epic music about everyone else instead. She's like our hall of fame."

[Dharmic Emissary]

Cessie would have protested as she was sure he didn't understand what she was trying to say but then... was that a threat?
    The sorceress expression turns blank. "I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough about your philosophy to understand what you mean, sir. But while you might have good intentions you should probably explain what you mean better before resorting to threats. I would have suggested that perhaps you could attempt to teach our members about your philosophies, providing they're willing, but if you don't have the patience for that I don't think we're going to see eye to eye here." She was ready to call on security at this point.

[A Bird in the Hand]

Which is why Anika liked to hang out with children, they didn't care about silly stuff like that.
    Anika will attempt to take Lapis free hand as they bounce together in excitement. "You're a genius, Lapis! You sure showed that dumb bird!" She laughs excitedly.

However, Lapis next question seems to catch her off guard. "Um, well, that's-" She glances at the hoopoe and then sits down so she can take a better look at it. "Huh." She observes, making sure to not get too close to it since- oh right.

"Never seen it up this close before. Looks different from other birds." The druid scratches her head. "We were supposed to just get rid of it since they could be, uh, shapeshifters. Kinda like me and you but way more gross. But maybe we should... hand this one to the science people so they can take a look at it?" She didn't really have it in her to just kill the poor thing in this state. Maybe they could even release it if it turned out to just be a bird?

7. - Top - End - #7

[A Bird in the Hand]

Well Lapis is using her front legs as hands right now which is a thing she can do. She's using them both for holding the bird just to make sure it doesn't get away. But she does have those funny hand things on her wings so she holds onto Anika with those while they bounce together. "Yeah it was a super great idea you would have loved it I looked just like a normal tree!"

Or at least Lapis thinks she got all the normal tree things right.

In truth, she really didn't look like a normal tree at all. But Lapis' idea of what constitutes a normal tree diverges pretty sharply from common opinion.

Once the bouncing is done it's time to get down to business!

"It does look different!" Lapis agrees. "And it's REALLY heavy, too! I think there's more bird than it looks like."

What the heck does that even mean, Lapis?

"You mean the pod people Mother wanted me to keep out of VIGIL?" Lapis asks, tilting her head to the side a bit. "It isn't one of those it doesn't smell gross like they do."

Oh.

Well.

Mystery solved!

"Do science people know about birds I thought they did science?" Lapis asks. Her grasp of what 'science' involves is pretty narrow. It basically consists of teleporting, sound cannons, and lizard repellent.

Just to test, Lapis looks down at the weird bird and gives it a shake. "HEY! Are you a real bird? We don't think you are! If you're something else and you won't tell us then we're going to give you to the SCIENCE PEOPLE and they're going to do SCIENCE to you until they know what you are!"

Yeah!

You better spill the beans, bird!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Default Geneva's Lab

Someone comes winging her way up to the Vigil skybase again. Sekhmet, fiendling and bride-to-be is once again very nervous. This is not somewhere she visits often. She's afraid of the possibility of encountering a demon hunter here. Assuming she's not stopped, she lands and finds her way towards Geneva's lab. She has a very important question to ask her friend.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Wait, We Have a Science Division?]

"Oh, I didn't mean simply power settings. I meant the resonant frequencies for different creatures are going to be different," Geneva clarifies. "I suppose with most organic life it'll be mostly similar but there can be some weird things in the Nexus."

Super weird things.

Like floating pink psychic cats.

SUPER weird.

Geneva's smile falters a bit at the talk of chopping people. Oh. Yeah. That's... that's g-great.

"What exactly are you planning to use it for?" Geneva inquires. She can think of a few applications for controlling someone's autonomic system. She'll then offer a sheepish smile. "I'll admit I'm not that great at coming up with names for things. But it's a music based mind-control device so... Maybe the name of a song that's thematically relevant?"

She doesn't know of any thematically relevant songs.
    Dr. Valiance makes a weird sound as he parses her words.

It's something in between a moan and a grunt, but its clearly meant to represent understanding.

In truth, the man was still very much out of it. He hated getting up early, and was only capable of doing so due to the various caffeinated beverages currently flowing through his veins. He leans up against a nearby wall, crossing his legs as he considers a response. "Ha ha, they sure are!" blurts the man in the awful tracksuit. He flashes a finger gun in the other researcher's general direction, continuing his train of thought. "A friend of mine, uhh - a colleague, I guess, actually worked with me a bit on it."

He nods, eager to explain more. "See, it's all up to the user at that point. So, you know, all about discretion and stuff." This was explained poorly, but the concept was fine.

"Not our problem once it's in their hands, you know?" Val then ponders over her last question. What was he planning?

"Uhh," stammers the doctor, "I dunno. Atrocities, probably." It wasn't really his decision.

"Something to do with demons? It's not up to me."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Bird in the Hand

The hoopoe tries to give Anika the impression that Lapis is holding it too tight, and that's why it doesn't answer. Clearly it wants to answer, but it needs Anika to hold it more gently before it can.

It doesn't actually answer, however, just making the usual meaningless "hoo-poo" sound. It doesn't enjoy being shaken, and rattles in a disconcerting manner. Birds aren't supposed to rattle, are they?
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

[Cessie's Office]

Where to begin? Wenomir found out a great deal by talking to Svetlana.

"I've learned a lot, including getting this." He puts the drive on Cessie's desk. "It has Obsidian's medical records and a recording of the events. Svetlana also gave me her version. She confirms that she and Dr. Valiance had been at each other's throats for a while. She doesn't think Obsidian needed to be sedated, but she admits she pulled a weapon on him and doesn't deny responsibility for it. She knows we'll likely have to discharge her and accepts it." He shifts uncomfortably. "She had some kind of experience after her breakdown. I'm not sure about it, really, but she does seem to have changed her outlook considerably. I still do not think she's fit for active service, but fortunately enough it seems she no longer wants it, either." Wenomir shrugs. "But back to the incident itself, she accepts responsibility, whereas Dr. Valiance seems determined to avoid it. Svetlana said she doesn't think he intentionally goaded her into lashing out. I'm not certain of that either, but he seems to be very quick to try to bend others' perceptions in his favor."

[Dharmic Emissary]

Wenomir opens the door after a while, looking surprised. He wasn't expecting anyone. He's dressed somewhat officially, in that he has a Vigil tabard on and the Answer in longsword form at his hip, but no armor.

"What- who are you?"

He's received no word someone like that might be coming. Mandhati might be distracted by the sheer spiritual presence of the weapon at his side, though. It's an idea of an endless pursuit of perfection through strife and self-sacrifice, bound by Wenomir's will into the shape of a plain steel longsword.
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-09-09 at 01:46 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #12

[Geneva's Lab]

Thankfully it looks like no scary demon slayers waylay Sekhmet on her trip to Geneva's lab. Though if she asks about it no doubt some of the VIGIL staff will point her in the right direction.

By the time Sekhmet arrives she'll find the door locked! A little sign on the door is lit up which reads.

DANGER! High energy experiment underway. Do not enter.

There are definitely some scary sounding experiment noises coming from in there. No doubt Geneva is doing something important.

Hmm...

There IS a little button next to the door that's helpfully labeled 'push to call'.

Thankfully Geneva is very responsible with all of her experimental procedures! Wouldn't want someone walking into the lab without proper protective gear after all.

So Sekhmet could push the button. Or maybe she should just wait for a little bit? Hmmm...

[Wait, We Have a Science Division?]

Atrocities.

Great.

That's... that's wonderful.

This conversation is making Geneva feel increasingly uneasy. There are way more 'I don't know's and 'that's not my responsibility's than Geneva is comfortable with. Powerful tools like these need to be deployed in a careful, ethical fashion. It is paramount that the people who create such tools take responsibility for them and consider possible outcomes of misuse.

Geneva has seen first hand the consequences of progress unmoored from compassion.

"That's, uh, that's fascinating! Really fascinating. You'll have to keep me up to date on the progress."

Super awkward.

[The Battered Shield]

Lapis Lazuli is snooping.

She's been nosing around various VIGIL buildings that she hasn't visited before. After all! It's her job to make sure no gross pod people have sneaked in. Even though she's pretty sure that all the pod people got blown up. It's still good to be safe! So she heard some of the adventurers talking about something called the Battered Shield and how it was a good place to unwind and she thought maybe that meant breaded like those shrimp they have at the mess hall sometimes but she's pretty sure shields are food so that's confusing. Maybe there's a kind of food called a shield and it isn't just the thing you use to block swords?

Either way she was pretty curious so she decided to check it out.

Hmm.

There's a broken shield above the door. What's that for?

Oh well! Time to see what kind of battered food they have!

Lapis shoves the door open and slips inside, as usual in the shape of a cute little half-drow girl right around six years old in human terms. Her hair is white like her father's, her skin a dusky blue with little yellow freckles on her cheeks and across the bride of her nose. She's dressed, as usual, in her tiny little VIGIL support staff uniform.

"Oh wow this place is neat!"
    Lapis comments as she skips across the floor, weaving her way around a few buzzed adventurers and heading up to the bar. She grips it with her finger tips, her nose just barly over the edge of the counter once she's standing on her tip-toes. Then she'll ask whoever is manning the bar a very important question. "Hi I'm Lapis Lazuli! All your shields look neat I love them! Is 'battered shield' a food like the battered shrimp at the mess hall? I heard some adventurers talking about it and it sounded good."

As usual, Lapis with the real questions.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Default Geneva's Lab

Push the button? Go in anyway (using magic to melt through pick the lock)? Wait? No, Sekhmet takes a different option. Uh, Geneva? Are you there? She thinks, broadcasting her thoughts into the room. Geneva's psychic too, so this shouldn't be too much of a concern. Of course, with a nonspecific transmission like this one (Sekhmet didn't bother to sense whether Geneva was there before asking, that would be rude) it could be heard by anyone else in the room with her.

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #14

[Geneva's Lab]

Oh HO!

So Sekhmet is using a non-approved method of contacting Geneva!

That's okay, Geneva doesn't mind TOO much. But that is what the button is for.

Sekhmet will receive a quick reply.

~I'm working on some delicate calibrations right now. Give me just a moment, okay?~

Her mental voice doesn't seem angry at all. Just a little preoccupied. Like she's concentrating on something.

Like maybe making sure whatever she's working on doesn't blow up.

It'll probably be a minute or two before Geneva will exist the lab. Is Sekhmet just going to stand around in the hallway where any random passing demon hunter might notice her?

Regardless, Geneva will emerge about five minutes later in her pink-haired human form.

Her hair looks...

Slightly singed.

Everything is probably fine.

"Hello Sekhmet, what brings you here to day?" she asks as she pullers her safety goggles off her eyes.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Default Geneva's Lab

Sekhmet does nervously wait outside the door. She's visibly relieved to see her friend. "I, uh, have a, uh, question to ask you." She seems really nervous at this snext part. "Will you, uh, be, uh, the maid," Sekhmet remembers that Geneva's married, "Uh, matron of honor? Uh, at my wedding?"

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #16

[Geneva's Lab]

Oh.

Oh no.

Sekhmet is getting a hug.

Whatever shall she do?

Get hugged, probably.

"I'd love to, Sekhmet."

Well there we go!

That was easy, right?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Default Geneva's Lab

That's it? Sekhmet hugs Geneva back. "Oh, uh, thank you. I'm glad to have you as a, uh, close friend." She pauses and looks at Geneva's singed hair. "What are you, uh, working on?"

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #18

[Cessie's Office]

"Well, I agree with her in the sense that I doubt Valiance intentionally provoked her to attack. But that's not to say he didn't try to provoke her, however. I just don't think he expected that kind of response. While it's true that if she hadn't reacted like that he would likely be the one in trouble now considering what he was telling her but ultimately even if he had expected that kind of reaction I don't think he's the kind of man that risk his own life for it." She takes a deep breath. "But more than that, what would you say we can accuse him of now? What would your judgement of him be, regardless of evidence."

Bird in the Hand

Anika stares at the bird as Lapis interrogate it, studying it carefully.
    Lapis had confirmed it wasn't one of those gross things but it was also different and really heavy. Birds were usually not heavy since if they were they'd be unable to fly. That much she knew about birds.
    It couldn't speak so it wasn't some magical animal spirit (probably) or shapeshifted druid either. Otherwise they would have revealed their true form by now.
    But there was another possibility... "Oh! I bet they're someone who have been turned into a bird by magic! All we need to do is find someone who can dispel magic and we can return them to their true form!" She gestures at Lapis. "Which probably means you should be gentler with them. They can't help being a bird, Lapis."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

[Cessie's Office]

"My judgement of him is that he's reckless, self-absorbed and manipulative." Wenomir drops some of his trademark brutal honesty. "He needs someone to keep an eye on him who's less likely to come to blows with him than Svetlana was. But I think that's about it, without reviewing the evidence. Judgement, but no particular accusation." He taps the drive Svetlana gave him. "If it turns out he did sedate Obsidian despite its being unnecessary, he made a dangerous medical mistake and consequences should be appropriate. Not that I know what exactly they should be."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

[Wenomir's Villa -> The Battered Shield]

As they walk off, Atreyu grabs his jacket and flips it over his shoulder, apparently content to stay as a mostly-dressed wolfman for the time being.

He does, rather predictably, take the time to fish out a cigarette and light it, though. Seems he's always most at home with a faint haze of pink-ish smoke around him.

"I reckon Wenomir's a pretty decent guy. Just ain't used to having to explain what elementals do. Nothin' to worry about, though. Seems like a good leader fer the organisation. Been a long time since I wasn't in charge of things myself, mind, so there's some adjusting to do there, but he's a man I can be happy to take orders from, if that makes sense."

Oh hey, the battered shield! Well, this certainly looks promising.

"Well, VIGIL must be doing alright fer itself to have something like this on-site. And a resident bard with quite the reputation to boot, eh? After you, Missy!" Atreyu says with a toothy grin, moving to open the door for her. "Whether or not your help was needed to convince Wenomir, it was a kind gesture to make fer a newcomer, either ways. And I mean to make good on that kindness with the first round, all the same. Reckon you're familiar enough with the menu to pick out a couple of good'uns?"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

21. - Top - End - #21

[Bird in the Hand]

Lapis studies Anika for a few moments before looking down at the bird.

Someone might have been turned into a bird?

Oh no!

That's horrible!

Lapis got turned into a sheep that one time and it was pretty bad, so she knows how bad getting turned into things is.

"I'm sorry I didn't know you got turned into a bird," Lapis informs the hoopoe, loosening her grip a little bit.

BUT!

Not letting the bird go.

The bird must be confused since it kept disappearing all the time. She wouldn't want it to disappear again now that they can help it!

"We should take it to Commander Cessie she knows about magic stuff," Lapis concludes.

[Geneva's Lab]

That's it.

Not everything has to be hard!

"So when's the big day?" Geneva asks, all smiles now.

The rest of her work for the afternoon can wait this is important.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Default Geneva's Lab

"It's, uh, two weeks. From the day after tomorrow!" Sekhmet seems so excited. "I've already got my dress and it's amazing and I need to get a cake and maybe some musicians and uh," She needs to pause for breath. "So much to do! It's so exciting!"

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #23

[Geneva's Lab]

"Two WEEKS!?" Geneva practically squawks. "That's hardly time for anything! I don't even have a wedding preparation checklist ready! I have to get to work on this right now!"

She reaches out to grab Sekhmet by the shoulders, her eyes wide with borderline manic panic.

"Are there official colors? Flowers? Are we wearing hats or not? Is there a wedding gift list?"

There's so much to do!

So much to get ready for!

Quick Geneva!

Panic faster!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Default Geneva's Lab

"What!? I didn't know I needed any of those things!" Now Sekhmet's starting to panic. "Oh no! We're going to have to postpone the wedding!" It's not that bad, Sekhmet. You'll probably be fine.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Medical Facility]

Sam breaks eye contact, looking sideways as he rubs the top of his mane.
    "Well. Uh. It's the guy who made me this." he gestures at himself.
    "He wanted to show me off to someone so I 'ported me there and gave me the coupon for my time. It wasn't...considerate. And I should note since you don't remember our conversation that this was not what I asked him for...but if I gave him a picture of you and told him 'just do this' it might go fine. Especially if I was there the whole time to keep him from doing anything stupid. But I don't know, he also gave me a pretty big chunk of cash back when I told him the body wasn't really the way I liked it...I dunno, I don't think it could be any worse than throwing you headfirst into Drow politics." Sam dated a drow girl once who was basically being held hostage by her dad’s family. He doesn’t want to know what the matriarchs of the Drow get up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Infirmary]

"As long as you stop looking like our friend and regain your memories, I don't really know if it matters so much how it's done." Wenomir feels like he's lost track of things at some point, so he tries to think in straight lines and resolutions like he usually does. "This has all been... complicated."
    Medical Facility

"Ilphexis" seems to take it all under consideration as she reaches out for a roll of bandages and starts to wrap her head to disguise her face. Few would be willing to stare at someone implied to be horribly scarred, burned, or disfigured after all. "Even if you do not entirely trust them, would you say that it is the best bet for a cheap way to change what I am?" She asks, even going so far as to put a thin layer over her eyes. It'd obscure her vision to a degree, but more importantly it'd hide the particularly distinctive eyes she had. "Even if it may come with a hiccup, I'm game for it. I already owe Vigil a great deal just for rescuing me, so another hang up or two probably wouldn't amount to much." She points out, finishing the wrap by tucking the end of the bandage under a layer. "And speaking of which...Wenomir, what is it that I can do in return?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [/COLOR][Training Ground - Potential Student]

Quin nods as he listens to Jezebel explain. When she takes hold of Excalibur, it will resize itself for her; still a longsword, but sized for her. Even so, it's light and wieldly; it feels more like handling a shortsword than a longsword. It's quick and fine, with exceptional balance. When she offers it back to Quin, it will resize itself back to the size it was before.

"I don't really have control over its size, unfortunately. It will shape itself for whomever is holding it and their size, and when I assume Paladin Style, it becomes a greatsword, but....I've never really willed it to do either of those things, nor have I been able to control its ability to do so. I am a bit more flexible than I appear, though, for whatever it's worth."
    Training Ground - Potential Student

"I admit, I truly hope you are more flexible than you appear. If I underestimate your mobility, then others will as well."
    Jezebel points out, heading over to the table once Excalibur is passed back over so she can pick up her Eviscerator and offer it for him to examine as well. It was only fair play after all. "Even though it sized itself down, I'd say your blade is too light for my liking but if you can wield it as well as you say, then that is good enough and I'll rescind my recommendation to try something smaller." Jezebel's Eviscerator is a monster of a "sword", weighing in at nearly eight kilograms and a little over a (human) hand in width so a pair of parallel chainblades can run next to each other. The back edge is armored and covered, providing moderate protection from the blades, and the entire weapon is adorned in silver angels and demons in the midst of scandalous activities. Unlike Quin's blade, it doesn't change weight, though his greater size probably makes it a fairly easy weapon to wield. "Even so, if you haven't tried to...connect to your blade and exert your will over it or in conjunction with its own, perhaps that is actually where you should begin. Even though I understand that my weapon has no true soul or mind of its own, I still cast my senses through it in order to use it as an extent of my own being in combat. I don't subscribe to the Riddle of Steel like Wenomir, but I would never disagree with the necessity to understand what you're using on a more than physical level."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

[Medical Facility]

Sam reluctantly nods.
    "It's free and you'll get changed alright. That much as the most reliable I can get." Whether or not it will be exactly what she wants remains to be seen. But "not this" is at least a given.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

27. - Top - End - #27

[Geneva's Lab]

Geneva is no longer holding Sekhmet's shoulders.

Now she's pacing around instead.

"Weddings a big thing! There are-"

A beat.

"Wait. Wait..."

She's calming down a little.

"Maybe they just don't have all those things in your home world? It's silly of me to assume that weddings where you're from work like they did in Unova. I should, haha, I shouldn't make assumptions like that. No reason to panic right?"

Right?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Default Geneva's Lab

"I don't know! I've never been to a wedding before!" Sekhmet's even more panicked now than a second ago. "I, uh, was just working with what I, uh, know from books." She looks at Geneva expectantly. "You're married. What do I, uh, need for my wedding?"

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [The Battered Shield]

Lapis Lazuli is snooping.

She's been nosing around various VIGIL buildings that she hasn't visited before. After all! It's her job to make sure no gross pod people have sneaked in. Even though she's pretty sure that all the pod people got blown up. It's still good to be safe! So she heard some of the adventurers talking about something called the Battered Shield and how it was a good place to unwind and she thought maybe that meant breaded like those shrimp they have at the mess hall sometimes but she's pretty sure shields are food so that's confusing. Maybe there's a kind of food called a shield and it isn't just the thing you use to block swords?

Either way she was pretty curious so she decided to check it out.

Hmm.

There's a broken shield above the door. What's that for?

Oh well! Time to see what kind of battered food they have!

Lapis shoves the door open and slips inside, as usual in the shape of a cute little half-drow girl right around six years old in human terms. Her hair is white like her father's, her skin a dusky blue with little yellow freckles on her cheeks and across the bride of her nose. She's dressed, as usual, in her tiny little VIGIL support staff uniform.

"Oh wow this place is neat!"
    Lapis comments as she skips across the floor, weaving her way around a few buzzed adventurers and heading up to the bar. She grips it with her finger tips, her nose just barly over the edge of the counter once she's standing on her tip-toes. Then she'll ask whoever is manning the bar a very important question. "Hi I'm Lapis Lazuli! All your shields look neat I love them! Is 'battered shield' a food like the battered shrimp at the mess hall? I heard some adventurers talking about it and it sounded good."

As usual, Lapis with the real questions.
    [The Battered Shield]

It has been a bit of a hard day for Mia. One of the engines for the island had a mayor breakdown. She needed near half the day to check it out. Lucky for her none seems to have noticed the slow down. After that she got a training sessions. Hard work followed by even harder training. Sure the others would just shake this off like it's nothing, but she go a much lower constitution. Now, slightly exhausted she heads back to her room, but as she passes near the battered shield she stops. Maybe it's best to take a bit here? In her room she either has to throw something into the oven or cook, but she's not in the mood to cook or eat some frozen fast food. So she decides to go in, just a few moments after Lapis.

Mia is a young woman. From the look just a teenager for human standards. She wears a training suit which shows of that she is a bit skinny. Her Amber hair is bound to a ponytail behind her head while her sword rests on her back.

She takes a seat at the bar while overhearing Lapis.
    "Battered shield and battered shrims aren't the same thing. You can't eat shields. but I guess they got something to fit the theme. Something that looks like a shield and is edible. Like 'battered waffle shield'."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

30. - Top - End - #30

[Cessie's Office]

Cessie's own expression is completely neutral, if somewhat hardened. "That's why I was asking actually, Wenomir. I can already tell your opinion of him but we need a practical solution here. I've already reduced the science divisions budget after the Obsidian incident so in a way he's already been punished. However, seeing that you don't have any suggestions of your own do you believe that Dr. Valiance should keep leading the division? We could hand it over to Geneva but she's preoccupied with her own projects right now so it might be best to just have her keep an eye on him for now."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Wenomir's Villa -> The Battered Shield]

As they walk off, Atreyu grabs his jacket and flips it over his shoulder, apparently content to stay as a mostly-dressed wolfman for the time being.

He does, rather predictably, take the time to fish out a cigarette and light it, though. Seems he's always most at home with a faint haze of pink-ish smoke around him.

"I reckon Wenomir's a pretty decent guy. Just ain't used to having to explain what elementals do. Nothin' to worry about, though. Seems like a good leader fer the organisation. Been a long time since I wasn't in charge of things myself, mind, so there's some adjusting to do there, but he's a man I can be happy to take orders from, if that makes sense."

Oh hey, the battered shield! Well, this certainly looks promising.

"Well, VIGIL must be doing alright fer itself to have something like this on-site. And a resident bard with quite the reputation to boot, eh? After you, Missy!" Atreyu says with a toothy grin, moving to open the door for her. "Whether or not your help was needed to convince Wenomir, it was a kind gesture to make fer a newcomer, either ways. And I mean to make good on that kindness with the first round, all the same. Reckon you're familiar enough with the menu to pick out a couple of good'uns?"
    [The Battered Shield]

"Oh, you were in charge? I've never been in charge of anything, what did you boss over?" Anika asks as she walks through the door he just opened for her. "A store or like a village?" As she enters she walks up to the bar and sits down without even noticing Lapis or Mia.