New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Vigil VII: Strife Amidst the Clouds

[Cat, Imp and Warrior]

When she isn't addressed the imp is perfectly quiet, least that crazy guy would hear her!

I mean, he'd probably not even trust them if he knew demons were involved!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

[Airship]

"I am Dragon-Blooded, from a bloodline blessed by the Elemental Dragons. They're the supreme creators of my homeworld." This isn't true, but Calm Reed doesn't know that. "Our power can manifest in many ways. In my family, aptitude for sailing is both common and expected."

[Cat, Imp and Warrior]

"Not looking at them... this is going to be complicated." Wenomir sighs, but it's a sigh of a man who isn't surprised or overly upset by this. It's just how things work. "We'll perform our own studies on them, to the best of our ability."
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-02-22 at 04:55 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Airship

"Huh. The sisters say we all have a bit of the Callers in us, but I guess you're closer to your gods than most. Well, that's useful." Saramond doesn't seem especially impressed or unimpressed. It's just a thing to him.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #274
    Halfling in the Playground

[Empty Station]

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Blanche tries her best to play it cool, but it's harder for her to disguise the tense atmosphere between them. She's clearly a little on edge to casual viewers, the fur of her tail bristling and fingers drumming against the handle of her pistol. She'll play by their agreed-upon rules though, eyeing Maiel with distrust as she steps off the train.
    Maiel seems as cool as a winter wind. He follows her, great boots clomping, and momentarily watches the cat before stepping slightly away. The other passengers have probably gravitated away from them by this point, and they're not unhappy to see the pair go.

"Let's have it then, girl," says Maiel, his flat tone disguising his emotions. The tension hardening his shoulders and curling his fingers is unmistakable though. Never mind that he's armed only with what appears to be a long suitcase.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

[Airship]

Calm Reed seems to pick up on Saramond's matter-of-fact reaction.

"If there is anything I have learned in the Nexus, it is that supernatural heritage is not enough to turn heads. It is perhaps a good thing I am a monk. My relatives who did not take the vows might have got in trouble before they learned that."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Airship

"Wasn't that uncommon where I came from either," Saramond laughs. "Always some paragon stopping by who'd got a touch of power and wanted more. Servants, worshippers, crew for their ships, weapons and food. We rarely had enough for ourselves, especially in the early days." He shakes his head. "But some came to help. Shortly before I wound up here, there was a project. To turn the yellow wasteland green. I have no idea if it worked, it wasn't finished when I got sent here."

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

[Airship]

Calm Reed looks out into the sky. She has much to say about power calling out to power and the temptation of accruing more of it. But she's not ready to talk about it just yet, or even admit some things herself.

"Was your world in such a bad shape that greenery was in short supply?"

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Airship

Saramond gazes off the edge of the airship at green fields below. "No one was supposed to live there. We were stranded. Our ship crashed. It's a miracle we lived long enough to contact anyone else." He takes a deep breath. "Even the air was bad. It was slowly killing us. We needed the help."

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

[Airship]

Calm Reed looks like she's about to say something, then stops. Then she speaks up.

"You are not talking about landing on an island or shore... you landed on a world."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Cat, Imp and Warrior]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    When she isn't addressed the imp is perfectly quiet, least that crazy guy would hear her!

I mean, he'd probably not even trust them if he knew demons were involved!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    "Not looking at them... this is going to be complicated." Wenomir sighs, but it's a sigh of a man who isn't surprised or overly upset by this. It's just how things work. "We'll perform our own studies on them, to the best of our ability."
    "As you say. I'm sure VIGIL will be well-equipped to handle them." the cat says vaguely. "I expect you'll be the best hope for a lot of normal folks caught up in this."
    "If you have no other questions, I myself need to prepare." And get this imp somewhere where it will panic less.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-02-24 at 06:16 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #281

Empty Station

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Empty Station]

Maiel seems as cool as a winter wind. He follows her, great boots clomping, and momentarily watches the cat before stepping slightly away. The other passengers have probably gravitated away from them by this point, and they're not unhappy to see the pair go.

"Let's have it then, girl," says Maiel, his flat tone disguising his emotions. The tension hardening his shoulders and curling his fingers is unmistakable though. Never mind that he's armed only with what appears to be a long suitcase.

Maiel might not be able got get out his entire remark; as soon as she has an angle where the train is no longer behind him from her perspective, Blanche will draw her sidearm, turning and firing in a swift motion before looking to the side and darting for cover.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Halfling in the Playground

[Empty Station]

The last word is cut from Maiel's mouth. Blanche scores several hits in his center of mass, driving the dark man back a step. He chokes out a laugh as blood dribbles down his shirt. "Children have no sense of drama any more."

Blanche probably has a few options for cover. Benches, crates, a metal booth to cover people waiting in the rain. There's also the train station itself, a small colonial-seeming building mostly made of wood and glass.

Momentarily slowed by the fusillade, Maiel begins to walk quickly toward Blanche. Not quite running. He doesn't seem like he's withholding his attack out of contempt, however. It's more like he's conserving his energy...

His eyes have disappeared again, sucked down into those abyssal pits where twinkling pinpoints of diamond light wink and gleam. The dark man leans back... and chucks his suitcase at the nimble cat. It transforms midair, shedding whatever glamour keeps it small. Flying at Blanche now is a long stone chest or trunk with a sealed lid, bound with loops of steel chain.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Airship

"The things I've seen..." Saramond smiles and looks up into the sky. "There is an ocean between worlds, and I was an engineer on a ship that plied those waters, one of many. We were carrying settlers for a new world. But a... I suppose you could call it a god, it interfered. Sent us off course. We were lucky to find somewhere people could live, if barely."

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

[Cat, Imp and Warrior]

"That will be all. Thank you for your information. An early warning like that might save lives." Wenomir is as composed as ever, but he seems genuinely grateful.

[Airship]

Calm Reed nods.

"An ocean between worlds... I have heard of the concept, here in the Nexus. My homeworld is surrounded by churning chaos. I do not know if there are other worlds to be found beyond it. But it must have been a powerful god to reach out beyond their own world like this."
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-03-01 at 05:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Airship

"Its name is Conveyance. One of seven that governed all the worlds." The change in tone when Saramond says its name is obvious. "It wasn't personal. It rearranged all the worlds at once. That was its job. We just got caught in the middle of it."

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post

[/SPOILER]
    The Battered Shield

"If you ain't even that certain you've shot one, I'm not very confident you've actually managed to hit anything," Blanche smiles. "But I'm sure I can help out with your aim a little. I'm not a trained instructor or anything, but I know my way around a firearm."
    [The Battered Shield]

Kal gives Blanche a cheeky grin. "I've been around. And I'm a quick study. But have a poor memory. Never forget a face, though."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

17. - Top - End - #287

[Cat, Imp and Warrior]

The cat departs, taking the hidden imp with her.

Away from VIGIL they ride, headed back towards the park where this all started.
    When they're a good distance away, Yone turns and asks, "What's the story between you lot and VIGIL, then?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #288

[Cat, Imp and Warrior]

The imp carefully peeks up from the bag and looks around as to make sure there aren't anyone else nearby before addressing the question. "Me? I just heard about 'em. The people I work for though? Lot of bad blood between 'em. Not my fault though, I just try to make a living and find a bit more about the world."

19. - Top - End - #289

[Cat and Imp]

They're out in the lands between VIGIL and Inside, with no one around to overhear. Perfectly safe, imp.
    "And whose fault is it, then?"
    "Not that VIGIL is really any care of mine, is it?"
    "But the people you work for have made themselves my problem."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-03-05 at 11:58 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #290

[Cat and Imp]

"Oh yeah, they totally screwed up. I don't even really work for them directly anymore but it's difficult to get rid of the association y'know? Since I and my pals, the boss included, helped them out before, uh, stuff-I-shouldn't-get-into happened we get kicked out of all other clubs. Pretty sure that's why they got so crazy. That and that most of them died. Always screws up mortals." The imp gestures at her head and makes a circular motion. "Completely out of their minds if you ask me."

21. - Top - End - #291

[Cat and Imp]

It takes Yone a moment to put together those words into ideas that make sense.
    "Well, mortals have it pretty bad. It's understandable that they'd do some desperate things."
    "And your old bosses made mistakes too, from the sound of it."

But at this point she's satisfied with the imp's answer.

On the go towards the park! Gotta return this imp, after all.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

[Soul Hunt]

Cass arrives at Vigil, having sent a message ahead to Wenomir in regards to the completion of her research involving a certain demonic vault, and her impending arrival to discuss breaking its defenses. She'll look slightly different than when Wenomir saw her last - notably sporting considerably shorter hair, but otherwise looks prepared and ready in her usual adventuring clothes. Nestled in one of her arms, resting against her shoulder is a long sword, wrapped tightly in wax-treated cloth. On her other shoulder is perched a certain cream-and-coffee colored cat, keeping watch with unnervingly glowing red eyes.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

[Soul Hunt]

Wenomir is indeed ready for Cass' arrival. He's wearing his armor, but not surcoat, and the Answer is at his hip. He's always happy to see the sorceress, but today unfortunately their meeting considers serious and unpleasant topics.

"Good to see you, Cassandra. I've told Anika and Reinholdt you'd be coming."

He glances towards the cat, wondering why she brought him here. Maybe he knows something about the vault.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Soul Hunt]

Wenomir is indeed ready for Cass' arrival. He's wearing his armor, but not surcoat, and the Answer is at his hip. He's always happy to see the sorceress, but today unfortunately their meeting considers serious and unpleasant topics.

"Good to see you, Cassandra. I've told Anika and Reinholdt you'd be coming."

He glances towards the cat, wondering why she brought him here. Maybe he knows something about the vault.
    [Soul Hunt]

Cass nods, running a hand through her hair and biting her lip anxiously.
    "I'll wait until everyone's here to explain what we're doing, then."

25. - Top - End - #295

[Soul Hunt]

About five minutes after the appointed time, Anika can be seen at a distance just casually walking towards the tavern. But then she stops as she seems to spot Cass and walks up to them instead.

"Oh hey Cass, what are you- ****!" She slaps her forehead. "****. Sorry, I completely forgot... this." The druid gestures towards the two. "I can't even recall what the meeting was about. Again, sorry. I completely screwed up." She might have mixed this up with something else.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-03-31 at 04:12 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

[Soul Hunt]

Reinholdt will arrive soon after. Or more accurately, a moving bush arrives. It darts left, then right, settling off to the side and whispering to itself.
    "Charlie to Tango. No bogeys sighted, over.."
    Within the bush is a small cat in camo greens and an equally green army helmet.

Swinging in after the bush is another cat. This one is darting around, distinctly checking corners and line of sight for ambushes. At least, that's what it appears he's doing. Unfortunately the blue cat's eyes are covered by sunglasses that match his surprisingly dapper black suit, that still looks a little hot to wear.
    He presses a finger to the earpiece he's wearing. "All clear."

Walking up NORMALLY, unlike some cats, is Reinholdt in cat form. Though, he is wearing a hunting gun on his back and a tan explorer's hat on his head. He removes the pipe from his mouth when he talks, holding it in his paw. Though the purpose of the pipe is a mystery as it has neither substance nor bubbles within. "Forgive my eccentric colleagues. They practice overcaution."

Reinholdt inclines his head at the three VIGIL members. "Wenomir." He takes a moment to look at Anika. She was very familiar. Very familiar. But he can't quite place where he'd seen her before. And he wasn't familiar with Cass at all, nor that cat with glowing eyes who draws most of Rein's attention. "And I don't believe I've had the pleasure of anyone else's acquaintance here."
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2021-03-31 at 05:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

[Soul Hunt]

Wenomir puts his hand on Cass' shoulder, noting her nervousness.

"I know it's difficult, but it has to be done. And tying up this loose end will help us both, I think." He does his best to sound confident, but he can't deny it's making him uneasy as well. Then Anika appears, being her usual self, and Reinholdt does... or rather, Reinholdts? At least there's no more waiting.

"Right. This is Anika Sunfletcher, a Vigil member who will be going with us to the expedition. And this is Cassandra, a sorceress from MERC who knows where we need to go. Let's proceed to the meeting room." He peers between the three cats. "Will all three of you be going?"
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-03-31 at 09:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cessie's Office]

At around six o'clock in the afternoon, Dr. Valiance knocks on Cessie's door.

What could it be, now?

29. - Top - End - #299

[Cessie's Office]

"Please, come on in." Cessie was for once not terribly occupied so this was the perfect time to get a visitor.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cessie's Office]

Dr. Valiance enters somewhat gingerly, still wary after last month's encounter with management.

As he strides in and shuts the door behind him, he nods curtly towards Cessie before reaching into the sleeve of his coat. "Okay, so!" exclaims the scientist.

"I have some super cool news, really exciting stuff." With a grin, Val taps at a button installed within the metallic wristband hidden beneath his gloves. "But first, a gift!" As he presses the button, the hardlight generator built into his wristband vibrates and begins to construct artificial flowers. The device was meant to form a lovely bouquet out of thin air. Unfortunately, without the proper components, the flowers simply shot right out of the scientist's sleeve at an alarming speed.

As such, Cessie may suddenly find her office flooded with dozens of plastic roses shot at high speed out of the surprised scientist's coat sleeve.

"Aw, hell - wait just a sec, ummm."