New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Vigil VII: Strife Amidst the Clouds

[Felicity's Lab]

"Uh, well-" Anika starts, quickly realizing that everyone having a lab made no sense. Of course they would have a reason to have it.
    But while she's trying to come up with an excuse Geneva comes to the rescue. Phew, now they could change topics completely.

"...I just heard that someone had gotten hurt so I came down here to make sure everyone was okay. Looks like everything is fine though."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-07-17 at 09:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Orc in the Playground

Felicity's Lab

"So, I was up on the training ground, and I set myself on fire to try and see if I could use it. I mean, I'm here for a reason, to help prevent bad stuff. Fighting might be involved at some point. My dress started to burn, and Lapis pulled it off me into a ball of fire. A tiny star, we found out later. We were about to start studying it when Eun, here, walked in. She found out it was a star and giving off solar radiation, which we didn't have any preparations for. So Lapis panicked, did that angel thing, and ate it, which made Eun faint. I brought her round again, and then Lapis came back with Anika, is it? I've just met her." Felicity explains, because she's used to explaining things. Normally to Dr. Valiance, or to other people after he does something.

"What do you need help with, and does it involve fire?" Felicity is either very bad or very good at helping with stuff that involves fire.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #453

[Felicity's Lab]

Eun nods silently, confirming Felicity's story, but doesn't add anything except maybe an embarrassed flush at the part where she fainted. Being new and all, she didn't like the idea of giving a senior member of staff the impression that she was... flaky. Not the best career move available to her.

Then it seems Lapis's words finally sink in and give the incident new gravity.

Oh god.

Lapis thought she died.

Eun looks over at the little seraph. Intellectually, she knew she was dealing with a being of power and complexity she could only approach speculatively.

But what she actually saw in front of her was an excitable little girl who must've been traumatized by what she'd seen.

Eun freaking out wasn't just embarrassing. It was more concerning than that. She was a doctor, and a rather knowledgeable one at that. Panic was a dangerous state for her to be in, especially with someone like Lapis. She couldn't afford to be jittery; it was only dumb luck that nothing came of it this time around.

And as for Lapis?

Eun wasn't normally the touchy-feely type. But here, she felt she had to make an exception. While the conversation is ongoing, she puts a hand on Lapis's shoulder and gives what she thinks is a comforting squeeze. She can give a more complete apology when everyone else leaves.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Felicity's Lab]

"That seems thorough enough," Geneva reasons, glancing over at Eun. "I know I was startled the first time I saw Lapis unfold like that. Don't worry too much about your reaction, Doctor Bu, it's understandable and everything worked out fine. I'm Doctor Richards. But please, disregard the formalities. You can call me Geneva."

Geneva's tone is conciliatory and compassionate. Something about the way she talks feels calming. Everything will be just fine.

"Testing a miniaturized fusion core sounds like it could be of great benefit to VIGIL. The portal lab is already radiation hardened, so testing it there would be the safest option. All in good time, though, since I have a number of other projects to attend to at the moment. Most specifically, the reason I wanted to talk to you, Felicity. I was-"

"Do you need me to make another fireball thingy I'm good at it I know how!" Lapis interrupts.

Geneva offers the child a kind smile.

"Not right now, Lapis. There are some other things I'm working on. But I'll let you know when we're ready, okay? Please don't make anymore fireballs in the mean time,"
    Geneva admonishes the child. Right. "I was getting some readings on an elemental intermediary pocket universe however I've hit something of a snag. Everything there is on fire. The ground is on fire. The people are on fire. The air is on fire. Even the fire is on fire. The first probe I sent through lasted approximately twelve seconds before failing. I think I can heat-proof the equipment, but it'll be too heavy to fly. I need someone to carry it in there and I was hoping you might be able to help given your unique physiological traits."

Lapis, meanwhile, smiles up at Eun. "I'm really glad you got better Miss Eun! Anika they said they don't need anymore help making fireballs do you want to do something fun?"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

5. - Top - End - #455

not the [Training Grounds]

Zophiel sighs.
    That didn't convince him.

In fact, he continues using the same analogy: "It's different when a friend lends you something to when someone who isn't a friend lends you something." And the reason ought to be pretty obvious, he thinks, but apparently it's not: Mia thinks he should owe that person something but he thinks the opposite. "A friend lends you something. You'll have every intention of returning it, taking good care of it, helping them out later. Because they're your friend."

He pauses for emphasis, then continues: "Someone you don't know, you don't care for, and that you have no option of refusing lends you something. You don't owe them anything." Completely different situations, he thinks!
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

6. - Top - End - #456

[Felicity's Lab]

Anika gives Geneva a confused glance. What had this pocket dimension to do with anything? Did it connect to Lapis fireballs? Were they different from other fireballs?
    Well, whatever. That was mage nonsense and not something she was supposed to really understand anyway. "...hey, does anyone know anyone who can fix my bed by any chance?" She inquires as she looks between the gathered scientists, and Lapis. "Or how I'd get a new one. It's kinda important." She lets out a yawn as she hadn't gotten her proper ten hours of sleep yet.

7. - Top - End - #457

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    not the [Training Grounds]

Zophiel sighs.
    That didn't convince him.

In fact, he continues using the same analogy: "It's different when a friend lends you something to when someone who isn't a friend lends you something." And the reason ought to be pretty obvious, he thinks, but apparently it's not: Mia thinks he should owe that person something but he thinks the opposite. "A friend lends you something. You'll have every intention of returning it, taking good care of it, helping them out later. Because they're your friend."

He pauses for emphasis, then continues: "Someone you don't know, you don't care for, and that you have no option of refusing lends you something. You don't owe them anything." Completely different situations, he thinks!
    No! not the [Training Grounds] maybe we need to ask again?

"I don't think so." Mia says. "I understand where you go and I can't ignore the feeling that you imagine this like a burden then a gift. That can be true. In the god's ways you might either be granted the gift by someone elses action or you did or already do what the god gave it to you." She says.

Mia is still not used to the less beliving attitude in the nexus. her world was full of belivers. None she knew who wasn't mad, doubted the gods precense. After all they had direct interactions with Deus mechanicus and the opposing god.

"Where I am from, God's live up for the worshipping. It's like their kind of Energy. It is hard to explain. You could use a battery as an example where we are the powerplants that can feed the batterie, while it converts the power into electricity that makes the lights go on etc. I know this example has many flaws, but I hope you get the point. Whoever gave you the power must have had a reason that benefits itself."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

8. - Top - End - #458

[going from the Training Grounds to the Battered Shield] because that's as good place to go as any for now

The two of them seem to be getting closer to The Battered Shield.

Zophiel, as it happens, is also unused to the less-believing attitude in the Nexus.
    "There's lots of gods I worship and am willing to follow," he says, "But not this one. Never this one."

Speaking of finding things weird, he also finds it weird that in some places, the gods depend on worship.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #459

[The Battered Shield]

When Zophiel and Mia arrive at The Battered Shield, they'll see a familiar-looking couple sitting at their usual table (or at least, one of them, since it's unlikely they'll both pick the same one). They've both been in the background for a while, but neither of them have really had much by way of interaction with Zophiel or Mia. The man is a young, handsome fellow, neatly groomed and in a simple three-piece suit. In passing conversations, they'll probably have already heard his name (Emet) mentioned a few times, along with the fact that he's effectively mute, communicating mostly through vague beeps from an unseen sound synthesizer and facial expressions. Fortunately, the woman with him (Angela, though she pronounces it An-gul-a) usually works as an effective translator. She's a little on the older side; streaks of silver can be seen among her otherwise flax-colored hair, and there are small wrinkles around her eyes; or rather, around the edges of her visor, which completely covers her eyes. When the Zophiel and Mia come in, she gives them a friendly smile and waves them over.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

10. - Top - End - #460

[The Battered Shield]

Mia just follows Zophiel around. She barly noticed they went to the Battered Shield.

Mia looks at Zophiel confused. "Lots?" she asks. "Well that is kinda unusual. I assumed people decide for one and then maybe ally with others for simular tasks. How does this happened for you?"

She would explain her theory on the dependency if he asks. Mostly it would be like economy. Gods need worship like we need money to buy food.

Mia on her hand has no idea who the two are. She only went here once at best. Her work with the turbines and the church in Riverside barly allow her to eat anywhere outside. It's just to time consuming. Either way since they searched for something to do why not asking the locals/employees? So she follows the wave.

"Can we help you?"

11. - Top - End - #461
    Orc in the Playground

Felicity's Lab

"What temperature did you record? I've tested myself, I can handle at least up to molten lead. Hotter than that gets... tricky to test." She would be quite interested in testing a skin sample with molten rock. If it survives that, she'll know she can probably handle every non-magical flame she might encounter. Dragonbreath is a possible exception, because dragons don't make sense.

Anika's question about beds is ignored, in favour of a chance to test her heat resistance in a manner that is probably safer than trying to achieve such temperatures in a laboratory.

12. - Top - End - #462

The Battered Shield

Meanwhile, Zophiel finds it incredibly weird that so many people just follow one god and that's it, especially when they know more are there. "Worshipping a lot is normal," he says. "The people who just decide on one are the weird ones."

Conversely, Zophiel doesn't actually have a 'usual table'.
    This is, in fact, his first time here.
    (He's been assuming this place was invite-only (or you come with someone else who has already been invited) but due to accidentally coming close and being with Mia, he figured it would be fine because she seems like the type who would be invited here.)
    Plus, he's relatively new and hasn't been around the base that much.

The best way to describe Zophiel is "Knight in shining armor, but he accidentally worked out too much and the armor doesny fit anymore". He's tall (195 cm/6'5"), handsome, and powerfully built. Plus, he's got a pair of massive swords, one red and one blue, big enough that the only place they would fit is his back, and he also has two sets of wings. (The upper set are black and feathery, at his shoulderblades; the lower set are smaller and leathery and at his hips. And he has pretty slender hands. Minor details, but might as well mention them.)

He goes towards the two when she waves at them.

"Hi," he says.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #463

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Felicity's Lab]

"That seems thorough enough," Geneva reasons, glancing over at Eun. "I know I was startled the first time I saw Lapis unfold like that. Don't worry too much about your reaction, Doctor Bu, it's understandable and everything worked out fine. I'm Doctor Richards. But please, disregard the formalities. You can call me Geneva."

Geneva's tone is conciliatory and compassionate. Something about the way she talks feels calming. Everything will be just fine.

"Testing a miniaturized fusion core sounds like it could be of great benefit to VIGIL. The portal lab is already radiation hardened, so testing it there would be the safest option. All in good time, though, since I have a number of other projects to attend to at the moment. Most specifically, the reason I wanted to talk to you, Felicity. I was-"

"Do you need me to make another fireball thingy I'm good at it I know how!" Lapis interrupts.

Geneva offers the child a kind smile.

"Not right now, Lapis. There are some other things I'm working on. But I'll let you know when we're ready, okay? Please don't make anymore fireballs in the mean time,"
    Geneva admonishes the child. Right. "I was getting some readings on an elemental intermediary pocket universe however I've hit something of a snag. Everything there is on fire. The ground is on fire. The people are on fire. The air is on fire. Even the fire is on fire. The first probe I sent through lasted approximately twelve seconds before failing. I think I can heat-proof the equipment, but it'll be too heavy to fly. I need someone to carry it in there and I was hoping you might be able to help given your unique physiological traits."

Lapis, meanwhile, smiles up at Eun. "I'm really glad you got better Miss Eun! Anika they said they don't need anymore help making fireballs do you want to do something fun?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Felicity's Lab]

Anika gives Geneva a confused glance. What had this pocket dimension to do with anything? Did it connect to Lapis fireballs? Were they different from other fireballs?
    Well, whatever. That was mage nonsense and not something she was supposed to really understand anyway. "...hey, does anyone know anyone who can fix my bed by any chance?" She inquires as she looks between the gathered scientists, and Lapis. "Or how I'd get a new one. It's kinda important." She lets out a yawn as she hadn't gotten her proper ten hours of sleep yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Felicity's Lab

"What temperature did you record? I've tested myself, I can handle at least up to molten lead. Hotter than that gets... tricky to test." She would be quite interested in testing a skin sample with molten rock. If it survives that, she'll know she can probably handle every non-magical flame she might encounter. Dragonbreath is a possible exception, because dragons don't make sense.

Anika's question about beds is ignored, in favour of a chance to test her heat resistance in a manner that is probably safer than trying to achieve such temperatures in a laboratory.
    [Felicity's Lab]

Eun blinks in surprise first at Geneva's introduction, then at Lapis's question. She'd been led to believe Doctor Richards was... different, somehow. There were implications that she was, among other things, not human. She looked pretty human to her. Then again, so did Lapis, so maybe that didn't matter so much.

Lapis having recovered so quickly was a pleasant surprise. It was good that she didn't walk away from this experience with any permanent psychological scarring, if a little disturbing that she was so nonplussed by Eun apparently dying and coming back. "Um... here in a few minutes, I guess." She replies finally.

Wait, Anika needed something done with her bed, didn't she? That was as good an excuse as any to get separated from the small crowd that was building up in this room. "Actually, miss... I could probably get one whipped up for you." She smiles a little. "We'll just have to go by my quarters for a new radiation filter first."

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    [The Battered Shield]

Mia just follows Zophiel around. She barly noticed they went to the Battered Shield.

Mia looks at Zophiel confused. "Lots?" she asks. "Well that is kinda unusual. I assumed people decide for one and then maybe ally with others for simular tasks. How does this happened for you?"

She would explain her theory on the dependency if he asks. Mostly it would be like economy. Gods need worship like we need money to buy food.

Mia on her hand has no idea who the two are. She only went here once at best. Her work with the turbines and the church in Riverside barly allow her to eat anywhere outside. It's just to time consuming. Either way since they searched for something to do why not asking the locals/employees? So she follows the wave.

"Can we help you?"
    The Battered Shield

Meanwhile, Zophiel finds it incredibly weird that so many people just follow one god and that's it, especially when they know more are there. "Worshipping a lot is normal," he says. "The people who just decide on one are the weird ones."

Conversely, Zophiel doesn't actually have a 'usual table'.
    This is, in fact, his first time here.
    (He's been assuming this place was invite-only (or you come with someone else who has already been invited) but due to accidentally coming close and being with Mia, he figured it would be fine because she seems like the type who would be invited here.)
    Plus, he's relatively new and hasn't been around the base that much.

The best way to describe Zophiel is "Knight in shining armor, but he accidentally worked out too much and the armor doesny fit anymore". He's tall (195 cm/6'5"), handsome, and powerfully built. Plus, he's got a pair of massive swords, one red and one blue, big enough that the only place they would fit is his back, and he also has two sets of wings. (The upper set are black and feathery, at his shoulderblades; the lower set are smaller and leathery and at his hips. And he has pretty slender hands. Minor details, but might as well mention them.)

He goes towards the two when she waves at them.

"Hi," he says.
    [The Battered Shield]

Angela smiles as they come in. "Hello! It's nice to see a couple new faces around here." Her voice is way more bubbly than one might expect from a woman pushing seventy; young at heart, apparently. "I'm Angela, and this gentleman here is my friend, Emet-99. Say hi, Emet."

Emet gives a little electronic chirp in greeting, accompanying the sound with an enthusiastic wave.

"We'd offer to take your order, but you happened to catch us on our day off." She smirks. "So... it's on us! Pull up a chair, we like the company."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-07-20 at 06:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #464

[The Battered Shield]

Mia doesn t like how Zophiel sees it, especially since it seems he has a grude against people like herself. For now she won t go deeper but might take her distance to him.

Mia is a young woman. She looks around 18 and is 1,6 meter high. She has some female attributes but non that overshadow things. She is slim and right now wears a sports dress with a sword on her back and a sack wirh the rest.

"Ah hello. I didn t knew an android is working here. I don t think you checked in on me yet. Better get there as soon as possible.

I may note that Mia is a high priestress of a power full machine god.
    Last edited by Zefir; 2021-07-21 at 03:34 AM.

15. - Top - End - #465

[The Battered Shield]

It's okay, Mia's a priestess so it's not that weird for her, it's just really weird for anyone else.

The paladin nods and sits at the chair.
    "Okay," he says, "That's fine, I wasn't really looking for a drink anyway."

He smiles. "I'm Zophiel," he says, introducing himself. "A paladin, and relatively new here."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #466

[The Battered Shield]
    Mia doesn t like how Zophiel sees it, especially since it seems he has a grude against people like herself. For now she won t go deeper but might take her distance to him.

Mia is a young woman. She looks around 18 and is 1,6 meter high. She has some female attributes but non that overshadow things. She is slim and right now wears a sports dress with a sword on her back and a sack wirh the rest.

"Ah hello. I didn t knew an android is working here. I don t think you checked in on me yet. Better get there as soon as possible.

I may note that Mia is a high priestress of a power full machine god.
    [The Battered Shield]

It's okay, Mia's a priestess so it's not that weird for her, it's just really weird for anyone else.

The paladin nods and sits at the chair.
    "Okay," he says, "That's fine, I wasn't really looking for a drink anyway."

He smiles. "I'm Zophiel," he says, introducing himself. "A paladin, and relatively new here."
    [The Battered Shield]

Angela nods her approval at Zophiel. Of course he was a paladin. He certainly looked the part. And not just in the sense that he was wearing a bunch of armor; her visor was picking up the by-now familiar thought patterns of a warrior dedicated to goodness and piety. That did, after all, describe at least half the people at VIGIL. "Would you care for something to eat, then?"

Emet leans against the table on his elbow, giving Mia a friendly smile. He points at her, makes a gesture indicating her figure, and lets out a two-tone beep resembling a wolf-whistle.

Angela gives him a playful punch in the arm. "Oh, you are just shameless!" She giggles.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-07-21 at 06:24 AM.

17. - Top - End - #467

[The Battered Shield]

I fell asleep when I did my last post as you saw the last sentence wasn't finished. Somehow I hit send.

"I'm Mia, High priestress of Deus Mechanicus and I work at the infirmary." She introduces herself. That said I might tell you that Mia is able to understand machines even if they can't perform common speech. Think of it like Sylvan where druids can understand animal noise as speech. In her case she understands the machines 'soul' as this is one of the main things in her Church. Every machine, toaster, flashlight, android,... has a soul. So in this case she might even understand what he would say if he has a speaking device.

"Well thank you." she replies to Emet (assuming it was in a way a compliment to her figure). "You do seem to miss a communication device like a speaker. Which I assume could be a big help working here? I could help you with that. "

It is common knowledge that the turbines who are able to move the whole island are made by her and some other tech stuff around the base.

18. - Top - End - #468

[Felicity's Lab]

Lapis' shoulders slump a little.

Oh right.

Anika must be tried still Lapis woke her up.

And broke her bed.

Maybe she should help get that fixed?

Geneva, meanwhile, answers a simple question.

"Approximately three hundred degrees," Geneva replies. She doesn't bother to mention that she means Centigrade because they are talking science things so what other units would she be using? Maybe Kelvin but 300 K really isn't that hot at all. Maybe compared to the vacuum of space. "So certainly hot, hotter than most people can survive comfortably. Just campfire hot."

Geneva is pretty confident that Felicity would be fine.

19. - Top - End - #469

[Felicity's Lab]

Anika hadn't caught the context for this heat discussion so she had no idea what Geneva and Felicity was going on about. Couldn't be Lapis fireballs, right? Sounded like they'd be way hotter.

But then Eun catches her attention. Aha!

"Really? Thank you, lady!" She offers her hand to shake. "I'm Anika by the way, nice to meet'ya." The druid makes a two-fingered salute. "Anything I can do for you in return? I once helped out getting some of those magic supplies this place needs. Like those filters you just mentioned."

20. - Top - End - #470

[Felicity's Lab -> A Hallway]

Oh boy.

Eun looks down at Anika's hand, internally debating whether to shake it. On the one hand, she was wearing gloves which should protect her from any germs. On the other hand, she'd still be able to feel Anika's hand through the glove, and she wouldn't like that. Refusing would be rude, accepting would be uncomfortable.

Compromise. She reaches out and sort of pinches the end of Anika's pointer finger between her palm and thumb, using that to give her a handshake. "Doctor Eun-Jung Bu." She replies, giving a reluctant smile.

"The filters aren't magical at all." She adds. "They just use a combination of ion channels and quantum membranes to... to, uh..."

No, that was too PHD-y. There's no way Anika or Lapis would understand that.

"...and besides, I have some spares in my room." She finishes, taking a different tack altogether. "We'll just stop there along the way." She heads for the door, motioning for Lapis and Anika to follow.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

21. - Top - End - #471
    Orc in the Playground

Felicity's Lab

"I can handle that, I think. Are you ready for this now, or do you need time to prepare?" Lead's melting point is actually only a little bit higher than that, at about three hundred and thirty degrees. So Felicity's probably tested up to four hundred degrees, just to get the lead runny enough she could stick her hand in it. Earl's not sure if there's a metal which melts at that point, however.

22. - Top - End - #472

The Battered Shield

Actually, Zophiel doesn't have any armor at all.
    Like, nothing.

Speaking of her visor.
    If it can pick up that kind of stuff, it can also pick up that his wings are decidedly...not. Very oppositey. Plus, sealing magic disrupting the flow of magic in certain patterns.

"Well, sure, we both just had a workout so eating might be a good thing," Zophiel says. "But if you're both off today, no need to bother you to get anything."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #473

[The Battered Shield]

"I'm Mia, High priestress of Deus Mechanicus and I work at the infirmary." She introduces herself. That said I might tell you that Mia is able to understand machines even if they can't perform common speech. Think of it like Sylvan where druids can understand animal noise as speech. In her case she understands the machines 'soul' as this is one of the main things in her Church. Every machine, toaster, flashlight, android,... has a soul. So in this case she might even understand what he would say if he has a speaking device.

"Well thank you." she replies to Emet (assuming it was in a way a compliment to her figure). "You do seem to miss a communication device like a speaker. Which I assume could be a big help working here? I could help you with that. "

It is common knowledge that the turbines who are able to move the whole island are made by her and some other tech stuff around the base.
    The Battered Shield

Actually, Zophiel doesn't have any armor at all.
    Like, nothing.

Speaking of her visor.
    If it can pick up that kind of stuff, it can also pick up that his wings are decidedly...not. Very oppositey. Plus, sealing magic disrupting the flow of magic in certain patterns.

"Well, sure, we both just had a workout so eating might be a good thing," Zophiel says. "But if you're both off today, no need to bother you to get anything."
    [The Battered Shield]

Emet shrugs. Truthfully, he didn't care to have his vocal components repaired. Sure, it'd be nice if he could talk normally, but having to rely on other means made him more creative. What he'd lost in communication ability, he'd gained in abstract thought and association. He was more intelligent than androids twice his already-considerable age, and he had exercises like this to thank for it.

Angela smiles. "Of course. We won't actually be preparing the food, naturally, but we'd be glad to foot the bill. Help yourselves to whatever looks good. After all, you're our guests!" She grins, examining Zophiel's brain more closely to see how he responded. Hopefully well. She'd hate to think he was getting creeped out or anything.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-07-21 at 07:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #474

[The Battered Shield]

Mia doesn't think that it is a matter of intelligence if you have to use different ways to communicate.

"If you don't want this, it is okay. I can't force you. I just offer you to fix it since it is my main task here. I just imagined there are a lot of missunderstandings."
    Just see what happened here. Mia just thought he made a compliment, but Angela's reaction to it assumed a much more naughty meaning.

"Thanks for your offer, but it's okay. After all this is the place you live for." Mia is not sure why she offers free food, especially since they are just randome Vigil members who showed up. Not that they are the main guests, since there is a whole town here.

25. - Top - End - #475

[Bed Quest]

"I don't know what quantum membranes are," Lapis announces helpfully as she follows Eun toward her room.

Wow.

Lapis is getting to see lots of labs and rooms today. Normally they don't let her down into this part of the base where all the science stuff happens. Something about only trained technicians being allowed to clean things here. Besides they don't have many bushes for her to trim.

"But they're for shields right? Shields for fireballs and boxes?"

Lapis really has no idea what's going on but she would like to! That means asking questions. While Lapis does know about certain things they're all VERY esoteric or VERY mundane with little in the middle ground between those extremes. Maybe Eun could ask her about what sorts of things she DOES know? It might be educational.

[Great Balls of Fire]

"I'm ready any time," Geneva says as she waves to the departing trio. "I'll chat with you later, Doctor Bu. I'd like to get to know you a little better."

Then back to Felicity!

"I already have the bridge projector dialed in to the location of interest. I'm really glad we installed the air-lock chamber otherwise the whole lab probably would have been cooked when the probe went through. I know you've done lots of work with Doctor Valence so you might find my methodology a little more... rigorous. But that's mostly just to ensure everyone's safety and to be certain we don't miss any useful data."

Geneva will lead Felicity toward her exotic matter research lab. The interior is clean, neat, and organized. There is no extremely loud music play. There's even an indicator on the door to show when potential dangerous high-energy experiments are being conducted! No such thing is going on at the moment, so protective gear won't be needed. Under the indicator is a little sign that looks like it was recently installed which reads 'NO food or drink in the laboratory. Thank you.'

26. - Top - End - #476

[Bed Quest]

As Eun is about to shake Anika's hand she suddenly pulls it away and use it to wave instead. "Oh, I gettcha, you got goo on you." She declares confidently, apparently seeing her discomfort. "That's fine. I just thought everyone wanted to shake hands around her." She chuckles and then let's Eun explain the filters.
    "Pretty sure that's just what I call 'goblin magic', which is like magic but you need parts for it. Like that membrane-thingy." She wiggles her fingers as if mimicking a spell being cast. "So how are you going to conjure a new bed? Do you need my measurements or something? Since the standard human bed is going to be a bit too small for me."

27. - Top - End - #477

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Bed Quest]

"I don't know what quantum membranes are," Lapis announces helpfully as she follows Eun toward her room.

Wow.

Lapis is getting to see lots of labs and rooms today. Normally they don't let her down into this part of the base where all the science stuff happens. Something about only trained technicians being allowed to clean things here. Besides they don't have many bushes for her to trim.

"But they're for shields right? Shields for fireballs and boxes?"

Lapis really has no idea what's going on but she would like to! That means asking questions. While Lapis does know about certain things they're all VERY esoteric or VERY mundane with little in the middle ground between those extremes. Maybe Eun could ask her about what sorts of things she DOES know? It might be educational.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Bed Quest]

As Eun is about to shake Anika's hand she suddenly pulls it away and use it to wave instead. "Oh, I gettcha, you got goo on you." She declares confidently, apparently seeing her discomfort. "That's fine. I just thought everyone wanted to shake hands around her." She chuckles and then let's Eun explain the filters.
    "Pretty sure that's just what I call 'goblin magic', which is like magic but you need parts for it. Like that membrane-thingy." She wiggles her fingers as if mimicking a spell being cast. "So how are you going to conjure a new bed? Do you need my measurements or something? Since the standard human bed is going to be a bit too small for me."
    [Bed Quest]

Goo...?

Oh. Anika probably meant her gloves. She guessed Anika doesn't want any on her. Eun opens her mouth to correct her, but decides it's as good an excuse as any to avoid an awkward handshake and to just go with it. Though that does put her in the similarly-awkward position of trying to figure out what to do with her hand now. She withdraws it hesitantly, unsure what to do with it, until it's eventually just up against her side and she just kinda leaves it there.

She clears her throat and goes to address Lapis. The little seraph was actually pretty much right; while a contemporary lab would use lead shielding as protection against radiation, she preferred the use of quantum membranes due to their specific properties. She didn't have the faintest idea of how to explain this to Lapis, though, so she just nods and shrugs in a "more or less, yeah" kind of way.

Right. Back to the matter at hand.

"The first thing I'd want to try is patching up your original bed." Eun explains. "If you've only got a broken beam, replacing the whole bed seems like overkill. Plus, it'll keep you from having to adjust too much."

Not that Eun would know too much about what makes a bed comfortable. She at least understood how annoying even trivial changes could be.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

28. - Top - End - #478

[Bed Quest]

Oh!

Lapis was right!

Quantum membranes are a type of shield.

"I can do shields but I don't think they're very quantum," Lapis explains helpfully. "I got a really great Talent that lets me make my thing that's like a sword into a shield instead! Do you think that might help your box Miss Eun?"

It probably won't help her box.

"I don't think Miss Eun's box is magic Anika it hasn't got any magic stuff," Lapis points out. She isn't really on the same page as Anika when it comes to goblin magic. As far as Lapis is concerned anything that tracks as 'faerie stuff' is magic. Lapis doesn't do ANY magic! She just edits reality that's totally different.

Then, just because, Lapis decides that she's going to do some skipping. She starts singing a fun song that she learned from Lucy.

29. - Top - End - #479

[Bed Quest]

"There are all kinds of magic, Lapis. What's completely normal to one dude might be magic to another." Anika explains with a sagely nod.
    Then she turns to Eun. "Anyway! So are you gonna like, zap it and it'll repair itself then? Or are you going to smack it a few times with a hammer? I've seen humans do that and boom new building!"

30. - Top - End - #480
    Orc in the Playground

Great Balls of Fire

"No, that's good. I want to learn better health and safety in labs, because I'm dangerous if I start to burn." Felicity follows to Geneva's lab and takes her shoes off before stopping. "Um, where can I put my clothes? This dress isn't fire retardant enough to survive the trip. None of my clothes are, really." She's got some firefighter gear, but it's monstrously uncomfortable and also doesn't work as well at not burning when the wearer is the source of the fire.

One of the things Felicity's had to get used to be naked around people, since even if she doesn't take her clothes off she's going to get hot enough to burn them away quite quickly.