New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Vigil VII: Strife Amidst the Clouds

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Bed Quest]

Oh!

Lapis was right!

Quantum membranes are a type of shield.

"I can do shields but I don't think they're very quantum," Lapis explains helpfully. "I got a really great Talent that lets me make my thing that's like a sword into a shield instead! Do you think that might help your box Miss Eun?"

It probably won't help her box.

"I don't think Miss Eun's box is magic Anika it hasn't got any magic stuff," Lapis points out. She isn't really on the same page as Anika when it comes to goblin magic. As far as Lapis is concerned anything that tracks as 'faerie stuff' is magic. Lapis doesn't do ANY magic! She just edits reality that's totally different.

Then, just because, Lapis decides that she's going to do some skipping. She starts singing a fun song that she learned from Lucy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Bed Quest]

"There are all kinds of magic, Lapis. What's completely normal to one dude might be magic to another." Anika explains with a sagely nod.
    Then she turns to Eun. "Anyway! So are you gonna like, zap it and it'll repair itself then? Or are you going to smack it a few times with a hammer? I've seen humans do that and boom new building!"
    [Bed Quest]

"'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.'" Eun chips in. "Arthur C. Clarke."

"But no, nothing so elaborate, I think. It'll depend on the extent of the damage, but we'll probably just be replacing the broken part, at worst." She certainly hoped that's what they were doing. Beds were a conspicuous blind spot in her Hotbox's files; she really didn't want to have to write a whole new program for this one task. Maybe she could set Anika up with a sleeping pod if worst came to worst?

Actually, now that Lapis mentioned it, maybe she could teach her how to make a quantum membrane. She'd done something similar with her micro-star; she made something conceptually simple but mechanically complex without much apparent trouble. Clearly she didn't understand what she'd done, or she would've been wary of radiation, but the implication stood that she didn't need to understand in order to create it.

"Lapis, if I asked you to, could you make a cloth that you could pass through one way but not the other?"
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

2. - Top - End - #482

[The Battered Shield]

Unlike Mia, Zophiel finds nothing wrong with being offered food.

"Okay, sure," he says. "I'll accept."
    Especially since, after working out, he probably should eat something or at least drink something.

He stays seated there, though, since conversation is definitely more important than food. "So how long have you guys been here? Since the skybase started?" He doesn't know exactly when that is, though, being somewhat new.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #483

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    [The Battered Shield]

Mia doesn't think that it is a matter of intelligence if you have to use different ways to communicate.

"If you don't want this, it is okay. I can't force you. I just offer you to fix it since it is my main task here. I just imagined there are a lot of missunderstandings."
    Just see what happened here. Mia just thought he made a compliment, but Angela's reaction to it assumed a much more naughty meaning.

"Thanks for your offer, but it's okay. After all this is the place you live for." Mia is not sure why she offers free food, especially since they are just randome Vigil members who showed up. Not that they are the main guests, since there is a whole town here.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [The Battered Shield]

Unlike Mia, Zophiel finds nothing wrong with being offered food.

"Okay, sure," he says. "I'll accept."
    Especially since, after working out, he probably should eat something or at least drink something.

He stays seated there, though, since conversation is definitely more important than food. "So how long have you guys been here? Since the skybase started?" He doesn't know exactly when that is, though, being somewhat new.
    [The Battered Shield]

"Well, of course it's what we live for. That's why we're offering." Angela gestures to Zophiel. "This guy gets it."

Emet produces a menu, unfolds it, and hands it to Zophiel. After a moment of looking, he'll start whistling the Jeopardy theme, comically pointing out that his patience wasn't infinite.

"Yeah, we've been here a little while. About a year, I think. Is that about right?" She asks Emet.

Emet shrugs. He didn't know, he couldn't remember that far back.

"We'll say about a year." She smiles warmly and switches sides of the table so she's right next to Mia, having made a guess as to the source of her reluctance. "Hey. I know this might sound a little... bizarre, but we're here in The Battered Shield to make people happy, first and foremost. This is a labor of love for us. So, when we see a pair of strangers come in for the first time, we want to do everything we can to make them feel welcome... because, you see, they are."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

4. - Top - End - #484

[The Battered Shield]

That sounds kinda creepy and maybe it could have another meaning. Maybe it is an issue with translating.
    Mia sights.
    "I know what you want to say." she replies and takes a menu. She doesn't think arguing is of any use here. She is just not sure if this idea costs more then it gives, but she is in anotehr business and can't say if the gastronomic is diferent.

"I think this place was build after the town was created. I'm still a bit confused an android is here without me knowing." Mia says. As mentioned she is doing a lot of maintanace for the Systems and engines here.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

5. - Top - End - #485
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Bed Quest]

If Geneva where here she would have responded to that with, 'And any rigorously quantified magic is indistinguishable from technology.' But she isn't and is thus unable to share that particular insight.

Anywho!

Lapis doesn't know who Mister Clark is but it sounds like he likes magic. And maybe beds, too. She isn't sure. She would probably object that magic is vague enough that it can be lots of things but she isn't a magicologist and Miss Eun just asked her a question that's a pretty good question.

"I don't know?" Lapis replies thoughtfully.

Could she?

Cloth where things can only go through it one way. What sort of shape and what sort of matter would be needed to make a thing that does that? What sort of things? Miss Eun didn't say. There are lots of different things! After thinking about it for a bit she reaches for the spheres of Matter and Shape and cups her hands together. She knows what she wants but she isn't sure how to get it. But that's okay there's all the knowledge of heaven to draw upon.

Reality shifts.

Lapis opens up her hands and she's holding a little, wobbly circle with a perfectly mirrored finish. It reflects the surroundings like a blob of quick silver in her palm. Then she picks it up and turns it over. From the other side it's hardly even visible, like looking through a sheet of the clearest glass. The girl holds it out for Eun to look at.

It jiggles a little.

"Like this?" Lapis asks.

[Great Balls of Fire]

"There are some lockers and a changing room over there,"
    Geneva says, pointing to a doorway marked 'lockers and changing room' in large helpful letters. "I've set out a couple different sizes of flame retardant clothing which I think should be able to withstand the fire universe. Go ahead and get changed, I'll go over the safety checklist to make sure everything is in proper working order for the bridging."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #486

[Bed Quest]

"Technology isn't all that advanced though." Anika remarks as she scratches her head in confusion at this statement.
    The way she saw it the most advanced type of technology was bows and boats, things more advanced than that was various forms of magic.

"But, uh- that all sound good. Just tell me if I need to help out with something. You want me to get the bed over here, or...?" Might be hard to get it into the lift.

She then glances at Lapis. "Be careful now, Lapis. Doing stuff you don't know anything about can blow up in your face." Anika should know, she did it all the time.

7. - Top - End - #487

[Bed Quest]

If Geneva where here she would have responded to that with, 'And any rigorously quantified magic is indistinguishable from technology.' But she isn't and is thus unable to share that particular insight.

Anywho!

Lapis doesn't know who Mister Clark is but it sounds like he likes magic. And maybe beds, too. She isn't sure. She would probably object that magic is vague enough that it can be lots of things but she isn't a magicologist and Miss Eun just asked her a question that's a pretty good question.

"I don't know?" Lapis replies thoughtfully.

Could she?

Cloth where things can only go through it one way. What sort of shape and what sort of matter would be needed to make a thing that does that? What sort of things? Miss Eun didn't say. There are lots of different things! After thinking about it for a bit she reaches for the spheres of Matter and Shape and cups her hands together. She knows what she wants but she isn't sure how to get it. But that's okay there's all the knowledge of heaven to draw upon.

Reality shifts.

Lapis opens up her hands and she's holding a little, wobbly circle with a perfectly mirrored finish. It reflects the surroundings like a blob of quick silver in her palm. Then she picks it up and turns it over. From the other side it's hardly even visible, like looking through a sheet of the clearest glass. The girl holds it out for Eun to look at.

It jiggles a little.

"Like this?" Lapis asks.
    [Bed Quest]

"Technology isn't all that advanced though." Anika remarks as she scratches her head in confusion at this statement.
    The way she saw it the most advanced type of technology was bows and boats, things more advanced than that was various forms of magic.

"But, uh- that all sound good. Just tell me if I need to help out with something. You want me to get the bed over here, or...?" Might be hard to get it into the lift.

She then glances at Lapis. "Be careful now, Lapis. Doing stuff you don't know anything about can blow up in your face." Anika should know, she did it all the time.
    [Bed Quest]

Eun stares in disbelief at what Lapis had created. She hadn't created a quantum membrane, Eun didn't think... among other things, the fact that it had a visible thickness and a reflective surface (as opposed to a black one) told her that this wasn't quite it. More importantly, she'd neglected to tell Lapis that said membranes weren't an actual, physical thing so much as a hypothetical construct used to describe a certain photoelectric effect that resulted when-

Look, the point is, Lapis had made another impossible object. Or, more likely if quantum membranes were involved, somewhere in the order of 1030 such objects.

"Ah... yeah, just about." Eun gives a little smile and nod.

Well.

At least this one didn't spew deadly radiation.

"But next time, a simple 'yes' would suffice." Eun adds. "Remember how that star you made had some unintended consequences? I appreciate your enthusiasm, but we probably only ought to make such things in a lab until we know for sure that they're safe."

It's just good practice, after all.

Her curiosity temporarily satisfied, Eun turns her attention back to Anika and her bed problem. "We'll be going to your bed, once I get my filter installed. How strong are you? I might need your help getting it into a position where I can repair it."

If its individual parts were in a state where Eun could lift them, it was probably a lost cause.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-07-23 at 11:50 AM.

8. - Top - End - #488

[Bed Quest]

"It is sometimes!" Lapis counters. "Like the communicator I got magic'd for you for Thanksmas! That's really complicated it's got buttons and things."

Clearly the more buttons a piece of technology has the more complicated it is.

Then?

Lapis smiles when Miss Eun confirms that she had done it right!

The frown falters a little when Miss Eun reminds her that sometimes the things she does aren't very safe.

"Oh... but but I didn't know if I could or not!" Lapis objects. "Not until I tried."

And she did such a good job, too! And this weird shiny jelly thing definitely isn't poisonous. Or at least Lapis is mostly sure it isn't poisonous. Who had ever heard of poisonous jelly mirrors that would be weird.

But then Anika warns her about explosions and the little girl crosses her arms and begrudgingly concedes, "Okaaaay I won't... But what should I do with the cloth thing?"

9. - Top - End - #489

[Bed Quest]

Anika scratches her head. "Uhh... well, that depends which form I use. To help you out, do I need thumbs? Or do you just need a strong a strong back?" She then turns to Lapis. "That's commun-cator isn't technology though. That's magic." She argues. "Wenomir told me so himself!" And everyone knew that Wenomir was an expert on technology.

10. - Top - End - #490

[Bed Quest]

"It is sometimes!" Lapis counters. "Like the communicator I got magic'd for you for Thanksmas! That's really complicated it's got buttons and things."

Clearly the more buttons a piece of technology has the more complicated it is.

Then?

Lapis smiles when Miss Eun confirms that she had done it right!

The frown falters a little when Miss Eun reminds her that sometimes the things she does aren't very safe.

"Oh... but but I didn't know if I could or not!" Lapis objects. "Not until I tried."

And she did such a good job, too! And this weird shiny jelly thing definitely isn't poisonous. Or at least Lapis is mostly sure it isn't poisonous. Who had ever heard of poisonous jelly mirrors that would be weird.

But then Anika warns her about explosions and the little girl crosses her arms and begrudgingly concedes, "Okaaaay I won't... But what should I do with the cloth thing?"
    [Bed Quest]

Anika scratches her head. "Uhh... well, that depends which form I use. To help you out, do I need thumbs? Or do you just need a strong a strong back?" She then turns to Lapis. "That's commun-cator isn't technology though. That's magic." She argues. "Wenomir told me so himself!" And everyone knew that Wenomir was an expert on technology.
    [Bed Quest]

"...Form?"

Eun facepalms the moment she says it. Duh! Anika was a shapechanger. They had those here, where the Nexus didn't care what was biologically plausible or practical.

"Right, riiight... I don't think you'll need opposable thumbs, no. Just as long as you can still grip and lift." Pretty much anything with a mouth could do that.

And as for Lapis... "Hold onto it for a while. I've got a spot on the shelf for things like that in my room." Kinda like hanging pictures on the fridge, really.

By now, they'd made their way back to Eun's room. For someone who'd only been here a night, she seems to have been quite busy... her room's floor is covered with various mechanical parts, grouped next to half-finished appliances of some sort. About the only things in this room that are finished are Eun's sleeping pod (waaaaay in the back of the room, and smelling faintly of strawberries), a small desktop computer with what appears to be a VR headset attached to it, and a little grey feed bowl for-

"Mrrow..."

Eun kneels down and strokes the little grey tabby cat that approaches them as they come in. "Aw... hello, Babo. Did you miss me?"

"Mrow."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

11. - Top - End - #491
    Orc in the Playground

Great Balls of Fire

Felicity nods, though she'd be equally happy going nude. Probably save time afterwards, when her sweat ignites and she starts to burn inside the clothing. She gets changed anyway, coming out in the fire-retardant gear, probably a shirt and trousers rather than a dress, and heavy firefighter's boots. She won't bother with a hat or goggles, even if they're on offer; her tears are flammable as well as the trace oils and sweat that covers most people. "Where'd you get this stuff? I should make them my usual tailor." She's otherwise ready, at least as ready as she can be before Geneva gives her the equipment.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

12. - Top - End - #492

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    [The Battered Shield]

"Well, of course it's what we live for. That's why we're offering." Angela gestures to Zophiel. "This guy gets it."

Emet produces a menu, unfolds it, and hands it to Zophiel. After a moment of looking, he'll start whistling the Jeopardy theme, comically pointing out that his patience wasn't infinite.

"Yeah, we've been here a little while. About a year, I think. Is that about right?" She asks Emet.

Emet shrugs. He didn't know, he couldn't remember that far back.

"We'll say about a year." She smiles warmly and switches sides of the table so she's right next to Mia, having made a guess as to the source of her reluctance. "Hey. I know this might sound a little... bizarre, but we're here in The Battered Shield to make people happy, first and foremost. This is a labor of love for us. So, when we see a pair of strangers come in for the first time, we want to do everything we can to make them feel welcome... because, you see, they are."
    [The Battered Shield]

That sounds kinda creepy and maybe it could have another meaning. Maybe it is an issue with translating.
    Mia sights.
    "I know what you want to say." she replies and takes a menu. She doesn't think arguing is of any use here. She is just not sure if this idea costs more then it gives, but she is in anotehr business and can't say if the gastronomic is diferent.

"I think this place was build after the town was created. I'm still a bit confused an android is here without me knowing." Mia says. As mentioned she is doing a lot of maintanace for the Systems and engines here.

[The Battered Shield]

Zophiel, sadly, doesn't recognize the song. It's a nice song, though.

He looks at the menu, too.
    And decides on something basic and simple.

"Well, the base is pretty large," Zophiel tells Mia. "Sure, this may be because I'm not around here often, but I've only met....about ten people so far. It's big enough that it wouldn't be too weird for there to be someone you haven't met, especially if they haven't had any emergencies that would require stopping by the infirmary." He's assuming Angela normally deals with repairs for Emet instead of bringing him in to the hospital.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #493

[The Battered Shield]

Mia sights.

[The Battered Shield]

Zophiel, sadly, doesn't recognize the song. It's a nice song, though.

He looks at the menu, too.
    And decides on something basic and simple.

"Well, the base is pretty large," Zophiel tells Mia. "Sure, this may be because I'm not around here often, but I've only met....about ten people so far. It's big enough that it wouldn't be too weird for there to be someone you haven't met, especially if they haven't had any emergencies that would require stopping by the infirmary." He's assuming Angela normally deals with repairs for Emet instead of bringing him in to the hospital.
    [The Battered Shield]

"Well, yeah. Emet here is the careful sort. He doesn't really get into trouble." Angela smiles and gives him a playful nudge. "Not that he couldn't handle it if he did."

Emet gives a little shrug and an embarrassed whistle.

"You are so!" Angela giggles, before realizing that nobody else (except Mia, but she's not aware of that) could quite understand him. "Ah, he doesn't think he's that brave. Kinda modest for an android, isn't he?" She smiles. "You should've seen this guy when we were leaving Terah. He was so-"

Emet makes a buzzer sound and shakes his head.

"...Eh, you're right. Not much point in talking about it now." She shrugs. "So, Mia... what're you hungry for? Let me see if I can guess..." She gives the priestess an intense stare with her visor, before letting out a little "ah". "You're really craving some macadamia nut cookies and are a little disappointed we don't actually have them. Am I close?"
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-07-24 at 10:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494

[The Battered Shield]

She turns to Zophiel as he says that.

"You are right, but this is beyond meeting someone or doing maintanance. Things like this count to the senses for a high priestress of Deus mechanicus." she explain. "I just guess that all the machines I constructed like the turbines and all overshadow this."

Looking at Emet as he speaks up. "I agree you look very advanced. Thought I would like to hear about your origin as it seems to be a high technologie based world."

Angela get's a confused look. I didn't get what the Visor does, but if it is mind reading that seems to denie any readings for whatever reason. "No. I take schnitzel with salad."

15. - Top - End - #495

[Bed Quest]

"It is so technology!" Lapis objects, unswayed by the invocation of Wenomir's authority. "It has buttons and stuff! Magic things haven't got any buttons."

Lapis is raising a pretty important point here.

Wands?

No buttons.

Staffs?

Also no buttons.

Magic words?

Zero buttons.

Books full of arcane secrets?

Nope, no buttons.

Anika?

Absolutely buttonless.

But the communicators have LOTS of buttons.

When Miss Eun asks about forms Lapis helpfully explains, "Anika's a druid she can turn into a BEAR! And it's all magic she just goes POOF! and magic stuff happens and then she's a bear. I don't really turn into other things I'm just good at curling up into different shapes but I'm still the same thing."

And since she's just curling up into different shapes that is clearly not magic.

At the mraow Lapis gasps!

"Kitty! You have a kitty can I pet your kitty Miss Eun?"

[Great Balls of Fire]

"Laboratory supply store in Inside," Geneva says without looking up from a display panel on the Bifrost device. She hits a few buttons, causing the outer doors to slide open revealing the inside of the air-lock. There's a rather bulky, boxy looking device sitting on top of a table inside. It looks like it's designed to be worn as a back-pack? "If you could slip the sensor suite on I can start the cycling process for establishing the bridge. I didn't detect any wildlife before the probe burned out, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything hazardous there aside from all the fire. If you spot anything that looks the least bit hostile I want you to come back right away. I'll be keeping the bridge open."

16. - Top - End - #496

[Bed Quest]

"Magic stuff can have buttons!" Anika insists. "There's magic ships and-" The Anika spots the cat.

"Ohmymoon! It's so tiny." The druid puts her hands on her knees and leans down to get a better look at the ridiculously small feline. "Like a mount for rats." She remarks with a giggle. Anika wasn't going to pet it though as she was going to give Lapis that honor.

Instead she turns to Eun. "Yep, what Lapis said, but not just a bear! I can also become a snake, a shark, a hawk and a saber." She explains as she counts them down on her fingers. "Can you become anything, Eun?"

17. - Top - End - #497

[Bed Quest]

"It is so technology!" Lapis objects, unswayed by the invocation of Wenomir's authority. "It has buttons and stuff! Magic things haven't got any buttons."

Lapis is raising a pretty important point here.

Wands?

No buttons.

Staffs?

Also no buttons.

Magic words?

Zero buttons.

Books full of arcane secrets?

Nope, no buttons.

Anika?

Absolutely buttonless.

But the communicators have LOTS of buttons.

When Miss Eun asks about forms Lapis helpfully explains, "Anika's a druid she can turn into a BEAR! And it's all magic she just goes POOF! and magic stuff happens and then she's a bear. I don't really turn into other things I'm just good at curling up into different shapes but I'm still the same thing."

And since she's just curling up into different shapes that is clearly not magic.

At the mraow Lapis gasps!

"Kitty! You have a kitty can I pet your kitty Miss Eun?"
    [Bed Quest]

"Magic stuff can have buttons!" Anika insists. "There's magic ships and-" The Anika spots the cat.

"Ohmymoon! It's so tiny." The druid puts her hands on her knees and leans down to get a better look at the ridiculously small feline. "Like a mount for rats." She remarks with a giggle. Anika wasn't going to pet it though as she was going to give Lapis that honor.

Instead she turns to Eun. "Yep, what Lapis said, but not just a bear! I can also become a snake, a shark, a hawk and a saber." She explains as she counts them down on her fingers. "Can you become anything, Eun?"
    [Bed Quest]

"Er... no, not really." Eun replies, suddenly feeling a little inadequate as the only mono-form in the room (other than the cat). "It's not something that's come up a lot back home. I can put on a decent disguise, I guess, but that's not really the same thing."

The cat plods up to Lapis and begins rubbing himself against her leg, letting out a contented purr.

"Ah, yeah, um... he's not really mine, exactly." Eun adds, in response to Lapis's question. "I found him wandering the halls yesterday. Poor thing looked starved half to death, so I brought him home and gave him some food. No collar or RFID chip, but there's still a chance that someone lost him and will come looking for him." Or he might just be another member of VIGIL dealing with an unfortunate polymorph, but Eun hadn't considered that. "If a week goes by and there's no mention of it, I'll probably adopt him."

Then, realizing she hadn't actually answered Lapis's question, she adds, "Yeah, go ahead. He doesn't have fleas or anything, and he seems to like you. Just be gentle."

With those instructions, Eun sets to work changing out her Hotbox's filter, pulling out the neon-green tube with a satisfying *click*. As annoying as such concerns could be, some part of her always liked doing it.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-07-25 at 01:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498

[Bed Quest]

Nothing wrong with being in the company of a cat, Eun.

Lapis kneels down and begins petting the kitty!

She is, of course, very careful because the kitty is cute and she doesn't want to hurt the kitty on accident.

Whatever else she was talking about before is basically forgotten since there is only one thing on her mind now.

She must.

Must.

Touch this cat.

petpetpetpet

19. - Top - End - #499

[The Battered Shield]

"It's impressive how many machines there are here," Zophiel admits to Mia. Yeah, there's a lot. Like, machines everywhere. Pretty cool how much she made and repairs.

"To be honest, you're the first android I've met," the paladin says. But then he adds, "But I've met a half-android before."
    Cyborg. The correct word is cyborg. Half-android implies an android and a non-android had a kid...which, okay, wouldn't be that unusual. He's probably met some of those before, too.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

20. - Top - End - #500

[The Battered Shield]

She turns to Zophiel as he says that.

"You are right, but this is beyond meeting someone or doing maintanance. Things like this count to the senses for a high priestress of Deus mechanicus." she explain. "I just guess that all the machines I constructed like the turbines and all overshadow this."

Looking at Emet as he speaks up. "I agree you look very advanced. Thought I would like to hear about your origin as it seems to be a high technologie based world."

Angela get's a confused look. I didn't get what the Visor does, but if it is mind reading that seems to denie any readings for whatever reason. "No. I take schnitzel with salad."
    [The Battered Shield]

"It's impressive how many machines there are here," Zophiel admits to Mia. Yeah, there's a lot. Like, machines everywhere. Pretty cool how much she made and repairs.

"To be honest, you're the first android I've met," the paladin says. But then he adds, "But I've met a half-android before."
    Cyborg. The correct word is cyborg. Half-android implies an android and a non-android had a kid...which, okay, wouldn't be that unusual. He's probably met some of those before, too.
    [The Battered Shield]

"...Well, darn. I was nowhere close at all." Angela sighs as Emet gives her a conciliatory pat on the back. She seems slightly put out, but not at all surprised; apparently, messing up a read was a common thing for her.

"But yes. The world I come from is very technologically advanced." Angela continues with a smile. "Frustratingly so at times. It's nice to be able to kick back and do stuff the old-fashioned way every now and again." She passes the order on to their waitress before continuing. "Take my blouse, for instance. Back home, some aspiring tailor would publish the recipe files, make them available for twelve credits, I'd buy it, download it, and print it off in less than ten minutes. But for this blouse, that's not what I did; instead, I printed off the fabric and handled the sewing myself." She chuckles. "It's not as good as it would otherwise be, granted. But it's my handiwork, and I get a lot more satisfaction out of showing it off in public."

Emet does the wolf-whistle sound again, this time directed at Angela.

"Oh, stop it, you!" She giggles flirtily, waving him off.

It occurs to Angela that she technically meets the criteria to be considered a cyborg, herself. Her augmentations were minimal (mostly consisting of nueral implants to interface with her visor), but still significant. Hm. Food for thought.

"What about you two? What's home like for you?"
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-07-25 at 10:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #501

[The Battered Shield]

Mia is a bit confused, having a wrong guess is kinda okay, especially when you enver met them befor. Thought her beeing a cyborg is interesting. I should note Mia has a sense for such things and schould notice them.

"My world is split by the two gods. One side is very technologie based while the other one is nature based.We are in a constant conflict, but last time i was present it was more like a show of at the borders. We still produce goods in factories. I know your way is more comfortable, but we have limited resources and mainly work on ways to optimize them."

22. - Top - End - #502

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    [Bed Quest]

"Er... no, not really." Eun replies, suddenly feeling a little inadequate as the only mono-form in the room (other than the cat). "It's not something that's come up a lot back home. I can put on a decent disguise, I guess, but that's not really the same thing."

The cat plods up to Lapis and begins rubbing himself against her leg, letting out a contented purr.

"Ah, yeah, um... he's not really mine, exactly." Eun adds, in response to Lapis's question. "I found him wandering the halls yesterday. Poor thing looked starved half to death, so I brought him home and gave him some food. No collar or RFID chip, but there's still a chance that someone lost him and will come looking for him." Or he might just be another member of VIGIL dealing with an unfortunate polymorph, but Eun hadn't considered that. "If a week goes by and there's no mention of it, I'll probably adopt him."

Then, realizing she hadn't actually answered Lapis's question, she adds, "Yeah, go ahead. He doesn't have fleas or anything, and he seems to like you. Just be gentle."

With those instructions, Eun sets to work changing out her Hotbox's filter, pulling out the neon-green tube with a satisfying *click*. As annoying as such concerns could be, some part of her always liked doing it.
    [Bed Quest]

She is, of course, very careful because the kitty is cute and she doesn't want to hurt the kitty on accident.

Whatever else she was talking about before is basically forgotten since there is only one thing on her mind now.

She must.

Must.

Touch this cat.

petpetpetpet
    [Bed Quest]

"Oh, you can disguise yourself? So you're like a rogue scientist then? That's really cool." Pretty sure Anika and Eun have different definitions of what a 'rogue scientist' is...

Then she looks to Lapis as Eun goes to do her goblin magic. "So I'm pretty sure you're trying to become a warrior right, Lapis? So what kind of class would you say that your mom have?"

23. - Top - End - #503

[Bed Quest]

She must.

Must.

Touch this cat.

petpetpetpet
    [Bed Quest]

"Oh, you can disguise yourself? So you're like a rogue scientist then? That's really cool." Pretty sure Anika and Eun have different definitions of what a 'rogue scientist' is...

Then she looks to Lapis as Eun goes to do her goblin magic. "So I'm pretty sure you're trying to become a warrior right, Lapis? So what kind of class would you say that your mom have?"
    [Bed Quest]

"Rogue scientist"?! Eun operated entirely within ethical boundaries, thank you very much!

She calms down a little when she hears the rest of what Anika has to say. Oooh, more RPG-esque context. Anika meant she was a rogue/scientist. That made more sense, she guessed.

"Yeah, I suppose you could say that." Eun replies, not looking up from her work. "A lot of my projects do revolve around tricking people and getting stuff where it's not supposed to be. So I suppose that would make me a bit of a 'rogue' as you understand the term, yes." She starts enumerating said gadgets as she talks. "I've made voice modulators, holo-disguises, radar jammers, surveillance drones, decryption software, plastic helium guns, impersonation drones... the list goes on."

Meanwhile, Babo (the cat) really likes being pet by Lapis. She'll be able not only to hear, but to feel him purring as he rubs his head against her hand a few times, before licking it with his grainy tongue. He seems to have bonded with her pretty quickly, all told.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

24. - Top - End - #504

[Bed Quest]

"No?" Lapis replies to Anika, a bit of confusion in her voice. "I did a group quest with some randos and since I didn't know how anything worked they said I could be the Seer since the Seer's gun was the lamest but I didn't really care about that since guns are all dumb anyway. The Radiant Shield talent I got is a Seer talent, though, and it's pretty neat so maybe I'll see what the other class talents for swords are before I pick one?"

Just in case it isn't clear Lapis really likes swords.

She sits down on the floor and picks up Babo so she can place him in her lap and pet him better.

"Mother? Mother's a Lancer. I've watched some of her old matches she's REALLY super good. I don't think she's really played much since she came to the Nexus, though, she mostly just stays at Trog's and helps people there."

Babo continues getting pets.

Then?

She asks a question of Anika since something Anika said seemed very strange to her.

"Why did you think I'm trying to be a warrior, Anika? I don't think that's a class."

25. - Top - End - #505

[Bed Quest]

Anika thought the stuff Eun was talking about sounded vaguely like the goblin stuff that she knew which only further proved her goblin magic theory. She'd reply but then Lapis suddenly draws all her attention with some pretty outrageous claims.

"Uh, what? Of course it is. Wenomir is a warrior and so is-" Wait. Anika dramatically slaps her forehead. "Oh! I get it. Warrior is class that focus on melee weapons, like swords, and can take a lot of hits. You might have a different name for it though since I don't know any of the classes you're talking about." The druid strokes her chin. "So would you say that Wenomir is a seer?" That sounded so weird. As far as Anika knew Wenomir didn't have any future-telling abilities at all.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-07-27 at 03:56 AM.

26. - Top - End - #506

[Bed Quest]

"No?" Lapis replies to Anika, a bit of confusion in her voice. "I did a group quest with some randos and since I didn't know how anything worked they said I could be the Seer since the Seer's gun was the lamest but I didn't really care about that since guns are all dumb anyway. The Radiant Shield talent I got is a Seer talent, though, and it's pretty neat so maybe I'll see what the other class talents for swords are before I pick one?"

Just in case it isn't clear Lapis really likes swords.

She sits down on the floor and picks up Babo so she can place him in her lap and pet him better.

"Mother? Mother's a Lancer. I've watched some of her old matches she's REALLY super good. I don't think she's really played much since she came to the Nexus, though, she mostly just stays at Trog's and helps people there."

Babo continues getting pets.

Then?

She asks a question of Anika since something Anika said seemed very strange to her.

"Why did you think I'm trying to be a warrior, Anika? I don't think that's a class."
    [Bed Quest]

Anika thought the stuff Eun was talking about sounded vaguely like the goblin stuff that she knew which only further proved her goblin magic theory. She'd reply but then Lapis suddenly draws all her attention with some pretty outrageous claims.

"Uh, what? Of course it is. Wenomir is a warrior and so is-" Wait. Anika dramatically slaps her forehead. "Oh! I get it. Warrior is class that focus on melee weapons, like swords, and can take a lot of hits. You might have a different name for it though since I don't know any of the classes you're talking about." The druid strokes her chin. "So would you say that Wenomir is a seer?" That sounded so weird. As far as Anika knew Wenomir didn't have any future-telling abilities at all.
    [Bed Quest]

Babo doesn't appreciate being picked up, but gets over it pretty quickly once more petting is inbound. Good kitty!

Eun finishes changing the filter on her Hotbox and heads for the door, now completely lost in this conversation. Warriors? Seers? Classes? They made it sound like they were all living inside an RPG, rather than merely borrowing the jargon. For that matter, it apparently involved some "mechanics" that Eun didn't understand and hadn't even heard of, so she's at a loss even in that context. She decides to wait and see if their talk swings back in a direction she can understand before re-entering the conversation.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

27. - Top - End - #507

[Bed Quest]

Oh no.

Miss Eun is done and now they have to go.

Lapis attempts to gently scoot the cat out of her lap.

"I'm sorry kitty I've got to go now,"
    she informs Babo. Hopefully the cat understands.

Will she manage to dislodge the cat?

Or will she be stuck sitting here on the floor forever?

"I don't think cre- umm... I don't think people can get empyrean classes, Anika," Lapis explains. "I've met LOTS of adventures and none of them have ever got one of those. Mister Wenomir doesn't, either."

She pauses for a moment to try being a little more insistent with her kitty dislodging.

"I like checking everyone's stats when I meet them that way I know their name and their job and some other things. Seer is fun since when you check someone you get to know some things that other classes don't. People act kind of weird when I know their name sometimes, though."

28. - Top - End - #508

[The Battered Shield]

"The world I'm from was pretty nice. Beautiful nature, swampy everywhere, pretty nice," the Paladin says. "'course, the world's ending, so that detracts from it a little, but..."
    Zophiel waves dismissively.
    "In the end, not a big deal."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

29. - Top - End - #509

[Bed Quest]

"Aren't empyreans people too though?" Anika presses, Lapis was a person after all! "Maybe you're just very class restricted or something? I don't really get that personally but it gotta be something like that." Then she realizes what Lapis had just said. "Wait you can do that?! Why didn't you never tell me?! You should do me and Eun! What can you tell about us?" She slips up next to the other woman so that Lapis can look at the two at the same time.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-07-27 at 11:12 AM.

30. - Top - End - #510

[Bed Quest]

Oh no.

Miss Eun is done and now they have to go.

Lapis attempts to gently scoot the cat out of her lap.

"I'm sorry kitty I've got to go now,"
    she informs Babo. Hopefully the cat understands.

Will she manage to dislodge the cat?

Or will she be stuck sitting here on the floor forever?

"I don't think cre- umm... I don't think people can get empyrean classes, Anika," Lapis explains. "I've met LOTS of adventures and none of them have ever got one of those. Mister Wenomir doesn't, either."

She pauses for a moment to try being a little more insistent with her kitty dislodging.

"I like checking everyone's stats when I meet them that way I know their name and their job and some other things. Seer is fun since when you check someone you get to know some things that other classes don't. People act kind of weird when I know their name sometimes, though."
    [Bed Quest]

"Aren't empyreans people too though?" Anika presses, Lapis was a person after all! "Maybe you're just very class restricted or something? I don't really get that personally but it gotta be something like that." Then she realizes what Lapis had just said. "Wait you can do that?! Why didn't you never tell me?! You should do me and Eun! What can you tell about us?" She slips up next to the other woman so that Lapis can look at the two at the same time.
    [Bed Quest]

Babo objects loudly to being moved, but once Lapis has him off her lap, just stretches and yawns like he meant to do that and walks off like he's not even a little heartbroken. What a trooper.

Eun cringes at the thought of being "read" like that. How personal were those stats going to be? Clearly, Lapis could pick up her name from that, as she mentioned before, but what else could she know? Height? Weight? White blood cell count? Number of partners? There were things on that list she didn't want to share with anyone, much less just have picked up in a scan of some kind. "Er... no, thanks, I'm good." Eun says, shuffling away from Anika nervously.

[The Battered Shield]

Mia is a bit confused, having a wrong guess is kinda okay, especially when you enver met them befor. Thought her beeing a cyborg is interesting. I should note Mia has a sense for such things and schould notice them.

"My world is split by the two gods. One side is very technologie based while the other one is nature based.We are in a constant conflict, but last time i was present it was more like a show of at the borders. We still produce goods in factories. I know your way is more comfortable, but we have limited resources and mainly work on ways to optimize them."
    [The Battered Shield]

"The world I'm from was pretty nice. Beautiful nature, swampy everywhere, pretty nice," the Paladin says. "'course, the world's ending, so that detracts from it a little, but..."
    Zophiel waves dismissively.
    "In the end, not a big deal."
    [The Battered Shield]

Angela shrugs. "Those both sound pretty common here. Last time I was in Inside, I ran into a family that had both those things in common with you two, and that wasn't even the most interesting part about them." She smiles. "Nexus can be a fun place sometimes, huh?"

Emet gives an affirmative chirp. This place gave his processors a run for their money, he had to admit.

"On the other hand, that's a good thing. Means you don't have to worry about being alone in a crowd here." She smiles and hugs Emet around the shoulder. "For instance; back home, human-AI couples are frowned upon, to the point of being illegal in some places. Out here, we've gotten to know a few, plus many more couples that cross the species line on general. Whenever we run into trouble, it's always nice to know someone else who has already dealt with it."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]