New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Vigil VIII: Strife Amidst the Clouds

[The Battered Shield]

"Battered like busted," the bartender clarifies. "Not battered like breaded. We got a meal we call the 'battered shield' but not for you, kiddo. No children allowed in the bar. Commander Cessie's orders."

A difficult proclamation to make. Lapis is, after all, really cute. But orders are orders.

"But-" Lapis begins to object.

"Sorry, kiddo, no can do. You can come back when you're older," the bartender interrupts, making shooing motions at the girl.

Lapis puffs out her cheeks in consternation and it looks like she's going to keep arguing, but then an expression of dawning realization crosses her face. "Okay! When I'm older!" she says before scurrying out of the bar.

Almost without question this is going to be resulting in shinanagins of some kind.

Minutes later the shinanagins manifest.

A striking half-drow adventurer enters the Battered Shield! Her white hair is cropped short, likely so it can neatly fit inside a helmet since wearing a helmet is an important thing for grownups to do when they're fighting demons. After all that's what Saint Lazarus does and she's a real hero. Her complexion is a dusky blue with yellow freckles on her cheeks and across the bridge of her nose which bears no resemblance to anyone who was just here. She's wearing armor, of course. Why wouldn't she be? Lots of the adventurers do that's normal. It's a bit cobbled together, like it came from several different sets that don't quite match. Also a common thing with adventurers! Yes sir, she's definitely a real grownup and not even a little bit suspicious.

"I would like to order one 'battered shield', please," the mysterious newcomer says, making sure her voice sounds as cool and serious as possible.

The bartender raises an eyebrow at her, only to shrug and relay the order to the cook.

Ha!

It's working!

She spins on her stool a bit and oh shoot Anika is here! What if she recognizes her then her cover will be blown! Quick talk to that lady with the sword!

"So, uh, hello!" Lapis begins somewhat lamely to Mia. Quick find a topic anything oh! What about the sword? "That's quite the weapon you've got there."

Yeah.

Smooth.

[PANIC at the Laboratory]

"Well it was a pretty small ceremony," Geneva admits, tapping her index fingers together anxiously. "Just some immediate friends and family. Nothing big. It sounds like you want something much larger so I'm not sure how informative my own experiences would be."

Oh no she got Sekhmet panicking.

Truly this is the darkest timeline.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Default Panic at the Lab

"I, uh, I don't know. What should I do? What were those things you said again?" Something about colors and flowers and gifts? It sounds like it's time for Sekhmet to make some panicky snap decisions that she'll definitely regret. "Why is this so complicated? I just want, uh, everything to be perfect for my, uh, special day."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

[Cessie's Office]

Wenomir shakes his head.

"Whatever we find when we review the recordings, I don't think he should be in charge of it. I agree that Geneva would serve well in that role, but it would be a lot more responsibility on her shoulders. We'll need to speak to her about it. And if not then yes, having her supervise him will have to be enough."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

[The Battered Shield]

"A town, aye. I was the mayor. Technically still am, I suppose. Nothin' to worry about though, there's plenty of folk ready and able to keep an eye on the place for me. Practically runs itself these days."

Atreyu walks in. A little half-drow girl walks out. In a mood. Huh.

He doesn't pay any attention to it, not at that point anyways.

Shortly after when he's sat at the bar with Anika, and the same half-drow just aged-up walks back in, he blinks and gives Anika a nudge. "Is that normal?"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

[The Battered Shield]

Mia will look after the girl when she leaves. What a strange reaction, she thinks. She thought the kid may make a scene. Then Anika comes in with another person. Mia wavees friendly at them in a friendly manner, just to get ignored by Anika as it seems. She then turns back to the menü.

"I take the roasted chicken breast, pls and an apple juice." Mia adds after the drow gave up her order. She didn't really pay attention to her entrance. She turns to her when she speaks directly to her.
    "Yes it is." she says. "I got it from a blacksmith here in the nexus. I think he was one of the best in this world, but I can't really say."

Mia will looc a little confused at Lapis. She isn't sure if she should tell her that her 'disguise' is quiet to obviouse.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

6. - Top - End - #36

[Cessie's Office]

Cessie returns the nod. "Very well. I will speak to Geneva then. Was there anything else you wished to add, Wenomir?"

[The Battered Shield]

"A mayor, wow. I've never hanged out with a mayor before. Usually they're too busy with other stuff. How'd you get to become that?" Anika inquires before her attention is turned to Lapis.
    "Huh? What is?" This woman did feel oddly familiar. She did wear armor like some people back home yet she couldn't recall any elves with skin that black back home. Especially while being that short.
    She scratches her head awkwardly, hopefully she hadn't hit on this person while being too drunk in here.

7. - Top - End - #37

[The Battered Shield]

The 'newcomer's' ears and eyebrows are also WAY too short. More like human length. What's with so many elves having tiny ears around here, anyway?

Lapis is pretty pleased that her clever disguise seems to be working well thus far. No one has commented on it and the bartender didn't object, so it must be good right?

Right.

She'll just have to keep playing it cool until she gets her 'battered shield' and then she can go.

"The best in the world?"
    Lazuli echos, the faintest hint of incredulity in her tone. "There have got to be four or five sword makers saying that in the Nexus but how are you gunna know which one is really best?"

She had done some Internet searching! while taking breaks from training with Wenomir and doing her duties on the VIGIL grounds. She's been considering getting a real sword from somewhere instead of just using her thing which is like a sword. It's pretty great and all but it isn't really a sword, just like one. So naturally she wanted to know who makes the best swords in the Nexus! Unfortunately LOTS of people say they make the best swords in the Nexus. And the more she thinks about it, how are you going to figure out best? Best at what? Different swords are great for different things.

"I'm looking for a good sword. Think you can sell me on whoever made this one?" she gestures at Mia's sword. "What makes it best?"

Man, pretending to be a grownup is easy. She just has to act cool and talk a little slower and no one suspects anything.

[Geneva's Lab]

"Well... sometimes when a wedding has bride's maids and groomsmen and things like that they have coordinated colors," Geneva explains. "So all the women are wearing similar colors and all the men are wearing similar colors. I, ah, don't think it's strictly required but it IS a tradition that is often adhered to."

Geeze Geneva you're such an idiot.

You could have just said nothing and this all would have been fine. Sekhmet would have been perfectly happy with whatever she was doing.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-09-14 at 11:02 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Default Geneva's Lab

That's something to think about. "Uh, Spike's wearing, uh, light blue." Sekhmet finds something about that funny. She holds back a giggle at the thought, whatever it is. "But, uh, I don't think that's very important."

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

[Cessie's Office]

Wenomir considers for a moment. There's one thing...

"I think we should let Dr. Valiance and Svetlana leave the lab and clinic to walk freely, as long as they stay in Vigil. It might be some time before we reach our verdict and there's no reason they need to stay cooped up."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #40

[The Battered Shield]

Atreyu answers Mia's wave with a nod and a smile. A smile that still just about looks pleasant, despite the wolfman having an awful lot of sharp pointy teeth in his mouth.

Anyway, there's shenanigans afoot. "As we came in, a kid stormed out in a huff." Atreyu mutters quietly to Anika, "And now that same kid is stting on the far side of the lady there, but as an adult. Now we got some pretty talented shapeshifters back home, but I ain't ever seen anyone shift quite like that. Smells a little off to me." He taps his snoot, then chuckles, "Reckon I might be overreacting though. Ah, anyways, folks voted me in when the ol' mayor stepped down. Simple as that. If you ask me, I reckon I had a bit of an advantage though. Being the son of an immortal werewolf who controls a whole forest gave me a bit of an edge."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

11. - Top - End - #41

[The Battered Shield]

"...yeah, I reckon that too." Sounded like, what was that word? Queen-domism?
    Whatever government that had nobles and royals in them. It had never worked out for her people but she wasn't about to judge some other people she didn't know.

Werewolfdomism sounded much cooler anyway.

Her gaze shifts to the drow and her brows narrow. Little child? She had only seen two little children here and- oh.
    She raises her index finger. "One moment..." The druid then walks straight up to the drow. "Lapis?" Anika raises an eyebrow as she gives her a skeptical look. "You never told me you could shapeshift like that! Why are you an adult all of sudden?"

[Cessie's Office]

Cessie's eyebrows raise. "Wenomir, she was about to kill one of her own fellow VIGIL members. I'm not sure what she told you but I'm not going to let her walk around freely regardless of the circumstances. She needs to be contained until we're sure she isn't a danger to herself or others. I was going to ask her if it was okay if she was sent to GloG for a while to recover but her membership here will be terminated until further notice."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

[Cessie's Office]

Wenomir holds Cessie's gaze. Was he being too lenient to Svetlana? He's certain she won't hurt anyone, but he can't assure Cessie of that. Very well.

"You're probably right. While you talk to Geneva, I will speak to Svetlana and inform her of our decision. I have already recommended that she seek help at GLoG."

[Medical Facility]

Wenomir shakes his head. He finds this situation confusing and awkward and this question doesn't help. He can't blame Alexis for asking it, of course. And he has a feeling offering her charity wouldn't go over well.

"Come speak with us once you're back on your feet and we'll see how you can repay the favor."

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Gym]

"I'm sure you'll reconsider once you meet him." Ilpholin says with unnerving certainty. "Meet me at [Tauron's Temple] in [Outside] this weekend and I'll introduce you."

Ilpholin's not surprised by much, but she's a little surprised to hear how irrational Sakura's been acting and raises an eyebrow. "Really? Even after getting attacked and having your house burned down? Most people generally flock to self defense after something traumatizing like that." As they reasonably should, though the nymph doesn't know why they keep waiting until after they narrowly survive to do it. She would only imagine the safety of the kids would be a top priority as well. All the better they learn young. "Well if you need to sneak one or two at a time out to learn the basics of hand to hand, let me know. I'm sure they're all just as durable and stubborn as you. They should pick up on it easy."
    [Gym]

"Ok. Looking forward to it." He says, not nearly so certain. When Ilpholin comments on his home situation, the stag just laughs. "No, that's not how I wanna do things, but thanks, Ilpholin. And... yeah. Maybe more. They're tough little buggers." The stag takes to his feet. "I guess that's all I wanted to say." He prompts Ilphy with a look, if she has any more to add.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

[Gym]

"Well, the offer's open if you change your mind." Ilpholin says with a shrug and pity head shake. If the kids aren't all dead by the time they're 'old' enough to learn.

She pushes off the wall and starts heading towards the door, hips in standard sway. "I'll see you soon either way I guess. Take care of yourself Adir."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

15. - Top - End - #45

[The Battered Shield]

"You are right." Mia replies as she looks at her weapon. "I only knew this one myself, but he was able to combine the sword with the power i was given by my god. I think not everyone is able to do that at this Level."

Then Mia turns back to the drow. "You might ask Wen..." which is the point Anika steps in. Mias expression turns into confusion of Anikas sudden outburst. But since she already assumed something she just keeps quiet until the drow will explain herself.
    Last edited by Zefir; 2020-09-16 at 12:34 AM.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

16. - Top - End - #46

[Geneva's Lab]

An eyebrow is raised at the giggle.

Is there something Geneva missed?

Did she say something funny and didn't realize it?

Hmm. Sounds like a mystery.

"Should I wear a blue dress, too?" Geneva asks.

If she did then they would match!

No doubt that would be fun, right?

[The Battered Shield]

"That does sound pretty cool,"
    Lazuli admits-

-only to suddenly be accosted by Anika!

Oh no!

The jig is up!

Lapis ducks and gives a little eep! She thought her disguise was flawless!

"That guy said I had to come back when I was older," Lapis begins, trying her hardest not to sound lame. "So now I'm back and older. That counts, right? I just wanted to try the battered shield. I didn't know I could do something like this until I saw my sister Eao do it, so I thought I would try it out and it worked! Being a grownup is weird everything looks smaller."

Super weird.

17. - Top - End - #47

[The Battered Shield]

"You're like two minutes older, Lapis. That doesn't count!" Anika insists with a laugh. "But there's seriously an age limit on food now? That's dumb. You should have just asked me to order it for you before you got all big." The druid makes a sweeping gesture at Lapis new length.

She then points a thumb at Atreyu. "But anyway, I'm showing a new member around, wanna meet him? We could all eat together if you're hungry. I could probably take one of those battered shields myself."

[Cessie's Office]

Cessie folds her hands together and nods. "Sounds like a plan." But then her eyebrow raise. "Just keep an eye on her, will you? While she might seem stable now, I don't think a person can completely recover in a few hours after a breakdown like that. This is for her own safety as well as everyone else's. She had a traumatic experience and the fact I had to destroy her property and punch her repeatedly in the face wasn't exactly the ideal solution." Her tone turns somber.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-09-16 at 10:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Default Geneva's Lab

"Uh, if you want," Sekhmet doesn't sound super certain. "It's, uh, this color." She psychics over an image. But even this contains traces of mental laughter. Sekhmet definitely finds something very funny.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #49
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Mia's Lab]

A little ways outside the lab, Sophia suspends her unnoticeability, so that Mia might hear her taking steps, notice her knocking on the lab door, and be able to see her cowled self standing outside.
    "Mia? We've got some news."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

[Cessie's Office ==> Battle Clinic]

Wenomir nods, his expression still set and grim. He'd make a joke about how hitting people and destroying property are definitely more his way of problem-solving, but it would be in poor taste.

"I'll make sure she doesn't hurt herself or anyone else. Goodbye for now, Cessie," he simply says, before leaving and heading back to the clinic to deliver the news to Svetlana.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

[Battle Clinic]

Svetlana's gotten up and is currently practicing some ballet to classical music emanating from her body. She moves gracefully, without a care in the world, and addresses her mentor when he returns to deliver the news. "Sensei! That expression does not bode well." She says, stopping and turning to face him. No doubt, Cessie has something to do with it!
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

[Battle Clinic]

Wenomir really doesn't like this. But Svetlana deserves to hear it from him.

"It is as we both expected, Svetlana. You'll be discharged from Vigil until further notice. And we advise you to seek help at GLoG."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

[Battle Clinic]

Svetlana doesn't stop smiling. "I know, my handsome sensei, I know." She walks back to her seat and sits her butt down. "I will have to decline the request to seek help specifically at GLoG, however. Raptor Island has good enough therapists, I just have not been visiting them... but that will change."

Tapping the table before her, she smiles silently for a little while. "I suppose I can leave the grounds, now? There is so much I must do. My parents back home in Japan will want to know about my new lease on life. I have no plans to return home permanently, however..." She's already making plans. "... so I can return here if you need me to give a statement, or something along those lines."
    Love is the message.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

[Battle Clinic]

Wenomir nods. If she wishes to seek help elsewhere, it's really not his place to tell her otherwise. He's hardly an expert.

"If that's what you think is best. You can, and indeed need to, leave the grounds now. We'll contact you if there's anything we need."

25. - Top - End - #55

[The Battered Shield]

Atreyu chuckles and waves a furred hand at Lapis. These seem like amusing (and largely harmless) antics. "Sorry kid, being a grownup ain't as seem as just being taller. Not much that can replace experience, and you gotta get that the slow way."

Ah, but that also means the kid is still a kid. Atreyu promptly extinguishes his light and puffs the last breath of pinkish smoke away from Lapis. It's harmless enough, sure, but it ain't right in his mind to get someone used to that sorta thing until they're owner.

"I'm thinking a round of battered shields sounds good. Gotta meet all the folk around here sooner or later if I'm to be a part of it all."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Wenomir nods. If she wishes to seek help elsewhere, it's really not his place to tell her otherwise. He's hardly an expert.

"If that's what you think is best. You can, and indeed need to, leave the grounds now. We'll contact you if there's anything we need."
    [Battle Clinic => Dr. Tanaka's Room]

"Then it is settled! I shall start packing up my things. Would you come with me, sensei? I would like to spend some more time with you before I leave." Svetlana moves to follow him out of the battle clinic and then lead him into her room, wishing that he stay to supervise as she starts to gather her things.

If she successfully coaxes him into her room, she'll spend the trip humming a hopeful song. Once they get to their destination, however, she shuts the door and turns to him. "Even though we would still be seeing from time to time, I being your student and what not, I would like something to remember you by, sensei." She suddenly says, looking into his eyes and then at his lips, staring enough to make him uncomfortable. However, she resists the urge to take him right there and resumes packing her clothes, but she's said it regardless.

Besides, didn't she promise not to do anything funny in her attempt to coax him into her room?
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2020-09-18 at 03:24 PM.
    Love is the message.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

[Dr. Tanaka's Room]

Wenomir follows Svetlana willingly enough; she does need supervision until she leaves the island and it might as well be him. This mood quickly evaporates once Svetlana starts... looking at him this way and talking to him.

"...something like what?" he asks, trying to keep the discomfort from his voice. Riddle.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Bird in the Hand

Well... This is somewhat hopeful, since they don't know what to do with it now they have it. But also, dispelling it won't actually do what they're hoping, and the hoopoe doesn't want them to do it. So as Lapis loosens her grip, the bird relaxes. It's going to wait a few moments before it tries to break out of the cherub's grip. Hopefully she'll loosen it further since it's not actively struggling and she thinks she's going to sort out the issue.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dr. Tanaka's Room => Leaving VIGIL]

Svetlana merely giggles and continues packing her things. Yes, she giggles.

Once she's done, she turns to face Wenomir once more, smiling. "You know, when he told me to move on and find someone else, I thought of you, sensei. I wish it were possible, but I know I am not the only student of yours that wishes to know you... as they say, 'curtainly'. Curtainsly?" She pauses to think for a second, then waves her hand dismissively. "Something along those lines, at any rate." At least, she seems to accept that the feeling isn't mutual.

She turns back to look at her old room, and suddenly freezes as it finally hits her: she's leaving VIGIL. Falling deathly silent, she studies the space she'd hoped to spend more time in. Closing her eyes, she turns around to reveal silent tears.

After a while, she takes a deep breath and wipes her eyes. "Well then. Onward." She says curtly, and walks out of the room.

She's silent as they head for the gate. "I hope I have a chance to return, but considering the fact that Dr Valiance will not be losing his job, I likely never will." And that's okay! There's always HALO. Failing that, she'd just stay in Raptor Island working with Mirai. "Forgive my sudden burst of emotion, it just feels like this is the last time you and I will see in a long while."
    Love is the message.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

[Leaving VIGIL]

Wenomir goes through a range of emotions in a fairly short time. Discomfort, then pity. At least Svetlana recognizes how inappropriate it would be and spared him the awkwardness of refusing. But he seems to have underestimated how troubled she is.

"...it might be," he says. "And there's no need to be ashamed. I also wish it didn't need to happen this way. Maybe once you've found the help you need, it can change." He pauses, then addresses the elephant in the room: "Your husband is right that you need to move on. And I hope you find someone to do it with."
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-09-19 at 11:23 AM.