New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Vigil VIII: Strife Amidst the Clouds

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [The Battered Shield]

Atreyu chuckles and waves a furred hand at Lapis. These seem like amusing (and largely harmless) antics. "Sorry kid, being a grownup ain't as seem as just being taller. Not much that can replace experience, and you gotta get that the slow way."

Ah, but that also means the kid is still a kid. Atreyu promptly extinguishes his light and puffs the last breath of pinkish smoke away from Lapis. It's harmless enough, sure, but it ain't right in his mind to get someone used to that sorta thing until they're owner.

"I'm thinking a round of battered shields sounds good. Gotta meet all the folk around here sooner or later if I'm to be a part of it all."
    [The Battered Shield]

Mia is not really sure what to do now. She got the feeling that they are so focused on Lapis they they just miss him. Well whatever it is she just sits there and waves at Anika as she scolds Lapis. Or at least thats what Mia thinks Anika is doing.

[Mia's Lab]

Sophia might notice that the door might have been upgraded and there is a camera nearby as well. Thought this migth be a result of the last training were a few people showed their dislike. You dont wanna have them in this place as they want. There will be a voice from inside after she knows who it is.
    "Come in Sophia. Take a seat and tell me."
    Mia is waring some more work fitting clothes then usual and sits at a low table.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

[Leaving VIGIL]

"I will. Maybe I have already." Svetlana smiles at him, but this time she's just teasing. Then she grows serious. "No matter what happens, I will not forget you." She bows low to him. "Thank you for everything!"

Here's where it gets even more troubling, however: when she stands up, she turns to some invisible person beside her. "He is thanking you too, sensei. I know you cannot see him, but that is to be expected... you do not have the bond I have with him." She moves to hold the hand of this invisible person. She's silent for a bit, then bursts out laughing. "He cannot hear you, baka!"

She sighs contentedly. "Sensei... do you have any parting words for me, any advice?"
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

3. - Top - End - #63

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post

Training Ground - Potential Student

"I admit, I truly hope you are more flexible than you appear. If I underestimate your mobility, then others will as well."
    Jezebel points out, heading over to the table once Excalibur is passed back over so she can pick up her Eviscerator and offer it for him to examine as well. It was only fair play after all. "Even though it sized itself down, I'd say your blade is too light for my liking but if you can wield it as well as you say, then that is good enough and I'll rescind my recommendation to try something smaller." Jezebel's Eviscerator is a monster of a "sword", weighing in at nearly eight kilograms and a little over a (human) hand in width so a pair of parallel chainblades can run next to each other. The back edge is armored and covered, providing moderate protection from the blades, and the entire weapon is adorned in silver angels and demons in the midst of scandalous activities. Unlike Quin's blade, it doesn't change weight, though his greater size probably makes it a fairly easy weapon to wield. "Even so, if you haven't tried to...connect to your blade and exert your will over it or in conjunction with its own, perhaps that is actually where you should begin. Even though I understand that my weapon has no true soul or mind of its own, I still cast my senses through it in order to use it as an extent of my own being in combat. I don't subscribe to the Riddle of Steel like Wenomir, but I would never disagree with the necessity to understand what you're using on a more than physical level."

Training Ground - Potential Student

Quin hefts Jezebel's Eviscerator one-handed for a moment, and makes a few test swings with it. Despite its weight, he seems to wield it as easily as he does Excalibur, though his test swings seem a bit off, as though he's being exceptionally careful with it. He flexes his wrist for a moment with the blade, obviously trying to get a better handle on the weapon's balance, before shaking his head slightly and offering the blade back to Jezebel. His head shake seems to be more in response to what she's saying than her choice in blades.

"I don't really do that much, so you're right, that's probably a place to start. I'm not entirely sure where to begin, though. I mean, do try to make Excalibur an extension of my body, but...I don't really cast my will into it, not like that, if I understand what you're saying correctly." He leans towards Jezebel slightly and from the shape of his eyes, Jezebel might be able to pick up that if he had a visible mouth, he'd be smiling. "I'd also like to say that I like your choice in blades. Exceptionally well-balanced; I'm not used to seeing something so exotic be so easy to handle."
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2020-09-20 at 03:34 AM.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Bird in the Hand]

Lapis studies Anika for a few moments before looking down at the bird.

Someone might have been turned into a bird?

Oh no!

That's horrible!

Lapis got turned into a sheep that one time and it was pretty bad, so she knows how bad getting turned into things is.

"I'm sorry I didn't know you got turned into a bird," Lapis informs the hoopoe, loosening her grip a little bit.

BUT!

Not letting the bird go.

The bird must be confused since it kept disappearing all the time. She wouldn't want it to disappear again now that they can help it!

"We should take it to Commander Cessie she knows about magic stuff," Lapis concludes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Bird in the Hand

Well... This is somewhat hopeful, since they don't know what to do with it now they have it. But also, dispelling it won't actually do what they're hoping, and the hoopoe doesn't want them to do it. So as Lapis loosens her grip, the bird relaxes. It's going to wait a few moments before it tries to break out of the cherub's grip. Hopefully she'll loosen it further since it's not actively struggling and she thinks she's going to sort out the issue.
    [Bird in the Hand]

"I know about magic stuff too, just... not that kind of stuff." Anika makes sure to point out before she turns away. "But let's, I guess she would know more about evil transformation magic than us." If the bird manages to get out of Lapis hand, she wouldn't immediately spot it.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

[Leaving VIGIL]

This conversation has surely been a roller-coaster in terms of Svetlana's behavior. Then again, maybe her husband is talking to her. Or if not, she can't be blamed for it either way. Hopefully qualified professionals can help her come to terms with all this.

"Remember what happened here," he says, a few moments after she asks him for parting words. "Do not dwell on it as a failure, but keep in mind that words can be more dangerous than weapons and that sometimes you can lose a battle simply by starting it."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Vigil VII: Strife Amidst the Clouds

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    The Battered Shield

Blanche blinks. Why didn't she think of that before? "I haven't done much of that sorta thing myself either, maybe that'll make it even more fun for her," she remarks as their drinks arrive. After all, she's teaching Anika how to shoot, and it's been great fun - if a little frustrating at times. "We er, actually did go out to Seaside a few weeks back together - before, well, y'know. Getting to explore the island and visit the moonwell was fun. And I guess we can, um, spend some time together on our next mission." A pink glow rises in her cheeks.
    [The Battered Shield]

"See?" Says Kal, smiling encouragingly. "You are good at this, if you just think about it a little."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Geneva's Lab]

Okay.

Color noted.

That's one of the upsides to telepathy. If you know what you're doing you can convey non-verbal information, too!

Very handy.

Geneva definitely detects the laughter, though.

Now it's just going to bug her.

"Okay, what?"

[A Bird in the Hand]

"Okay let's go see her!" Lapis agrees before starting off toward the commander's villa!

Lapis will, of course, barge straight into the office.

"COMMANDER CESSIE I CAUGHT THE WEIRD BIRD IT WAS TURNED INTO A BIRD WHAT SHOULD WE DO!?" the little girl hollers, brandishing the bird in question.

Does Cessie even know that Anika had told Lapis to scare birds away?

[The Battered Shield]

"That counts, I'm bigger and older. He didn't say how much bigger and older," Lapis says, puffing her cheeks out a bit in consternation. The pouty face looks pretty hilarious. It looks even more hilarious when she just sort of goes ZOOP! and folds in on herself and now there's a little girl perched on the bar stool. "Would you really get one for me too, Anika? I really wanted to try one it sounded so good but he said children can't be in the bar."

She crosses her arms and huffs.

"That doesn't seem fair. Why can't kids be in here it's dumb!"

Apparently she doesn't know about the whole alcohol thing.

"But that takes too long!"
    Lapis objects when Atreyu points out the folly of her plan. "I want to try the battered shield now."

These are important experiences that she's being denied!

"Oh, um, I'm Lapis Lazuli! I keep the hedges trimmed and chase away the birds and Commander Wenomir is teaching me swording! That's why I wanted to know about her sword,"
    she says, pointing at Mia.

Then she holds out that same pointing hand and draws forth her thing which is like a sword.

Calling it a flaming sword wouldn't be wholly inaccurate. Sort of like how saying that a star is a candle isn't totally wrong, either. A weapon called forth from the armory of the heavens, intent to cut distilled down into a coherent object.

"I haven't got my own sword just this thing which is okay I guess. But I need to get a real metal sword to practice with."

Lapis releases her weapon and it snuffs out into nothing like a smothered flame. "Hey do is the guy you got your sword from here in the Nexus?" Lapis asks Mia. "I really really need a good sword for swording with."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Post Geneva's Lab

"What what?" Sekhmet is confused. What is Geneva asking about? Did she do something wrong? She looks away embarrassedly, uncertain of what the problem is. "I'm, uh, sorry?" Sorry for what? Sekhmet doesn't know. But Geneva seems a little insulted about something.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground

[The Battered Shield]

There's something very disconcerting about a child behaving in such a childlike fashion while looking like...well, like Lapis does right now.

Atreyu scratches his chin and glances at Mia and Anika, hoping the more experienced members might have some idea on how best to handle this. And then breathes a sigh of relief as Lapis goes back to child proportions.

Still, there's some lesson learnin' to be done here, and he can safely do that. "Well, I reckon if the four of us retreat to a table and don't bother the bartender any further, maybe that'd be arright. But I also reckon-" He leans in and fixes his gaze on Lapis, "That if you're smart enough to come up with a plan like this, yer also smart enough to know better'n to try'n argue on technicalities. He shouldn't have to specify how much older you gotta be, you know you ain't old enough. Simple as. I reckon an apology wouldn't go amiss, little missy."

As for the sword...

"Yeeeah, I dunno if a metal sword is really needed when y'got...whatever that is." Atreyu's doing an excellent job of maintain a straight face when faced with the knowledge that this impulsive child has some kind of divine manifestation of sword at her disposal. "But I find myself a little lacking in weapons, as it happens. So I reckon I'd be interested in hearing about this smith of yours, Miss." He nods at Mia.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Bird in the Hand

The hoopoe tries to struggle as they enter Cessie's office, pecking at Lapis' grasping appendage and struggling to flap its wings. It scrabbles with its feet, too, trying to break out of Lapis' grip however it can. It doesn't want someone to try and dispel magic on it, even if that might make it not a bird any longer.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    This conversation has surely been a roller-coaster in terms of Svetlana's behavior. Then again, maybe her husband is talking to her. Or if not, she can't be blamed for it either way. Hopefully qualified professionals can help her come to terms with all this.

"Remember what happened here," he says, a few moments after she asks him for parting words. "Do not dwell on it as a failure, but keep in mind that words can be more dangerous than weapons and that sometimes you can lose a battle simply by starting it."
    [Leaving VIGIL]

Svetlana nods. "Thank you, sensei. I will never forget you." With one last smile, she turns to walk away, hand-in-hand with her imaginary ghost husband.

Once she gets outside the base entrance, she opens up a portal and walks through it, disappearing out of sight.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Mia's Lab]

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Sophia might notice that the door might have been upgraded and there is a camera nearby as well. Thought this migth be a result of the last training were a few people showed their dislike. You dont wanna have them in this place as they want. There will be a voice from inside after she knows who it is.
    "Come in Sophia. Take a seat and tell me."
    Mia is waring some more work fitting clothes then usual and sits at a low table.
    Sophia is visible walking up to the door in her hooded robe.
    She doesn't have to be. Cameras tend not to see them either. But she doesn't intend to bother Mia.
    Into the room, and she sits at the table, setting just one pair of hands on the table.
    "He doesn't want to honor his family's agreement. Not because of you, but because of being in a whole new world."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2020-09-23 at 10:09 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #73

Bird in the Hand

As Lapis rushes into the commander's office, Cessie is sitting on her desk with her communicator in hand and nearly falls over when Lapis suddenly slams the door open. "Onemoment- Lapis!" She hisses as she aims the communicator away from her. "I'm- I'm in the middle of something here. You can't just rush inside unannounced."
    Her gaze then falls to Anika who isn't far behind as if she had put Lapis up to this.
    The druid gestures at the girl. "Y-yeah, she caught the boss... bird." The realization that Cessie probably didn't know what the 'boss bird' was comes a moment too late unfortunately.

[The Battered Shield]

"It is dumb." Anika agrees, not even raising an eyebrow as Lapis folds into herself before her.
    "So an battered shield for everyone, including that... oh, it's medic lady. Hi!" Anika waves back at Mia. "You want a battered shield?!" She yells across the room before turning to the bar. "Three battered shields please, maybe four!"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-09-23 at 06:34 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

[Bird in the Hand]

Lapis loses zero momentum in response to Cessie's apparent business, frustration, and withering look for Anika.

Obviously this is super important maybe no one told her about how important catching this bird was. Well Lapis can do that for sure.

"The bird isn't really a bird it's SUPER heavy and it disappears whenever people aren't looking at it and-" she begins rambling, fumbling with the bird a bit as it struggles and pecks.

"-stop that bird we're trying to help-"

Thankfully, perhaps unthankfully for the bird, Lapis is a rather indomitable blend of stubborn and resilient. It'll take something pretty dramatic to get her to release the bird. Though if it can get her to stop looking at it that might be its best bet.

"-and it was spying on Makuro at first but then it started following me instead and Makuro said that it was weird and then we tried catching it but it disappears OH! and it doesn't make bird noises it just makes noises like they don't mean anything like it's just trying to sound like a bird and then Anika told me that I had to chase all the birds out of VIGIL in case they were secretly pod people but I don't think this one is a pod person maybe it's a person that got turned into a bird and you know about magic so maybe you can help!"

Then Lapis gives her best toothy smile and holds the bird out toward Cessie so she can see it better.

Lapis is very excited she did such a great job.

[Geneva's Lab]

That gets a laugh out of Geneva.

"What what what?" she giggles. "You were laughing about something. I could feel it rippling the edges of the perception you sent me. What's so funny about that color?"

She offers a reassuring smile.

"I'm not mad. I'm just curious now."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-09-23 at 11:07 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Default Geneva's Lab

"Oh, it's just, uh," Sekhmet starts to explain, then just sends a new psychic image over. It's Spike, inhuman monstrosity that she is, wearing a dress of the color Sekhmet sent earlier. It doesn't look bad, per se, but it does look a bit silly.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

[Leaving VIGIL ==> Wenomir's Office]

After Svetlana leaves, Wenomir sends Cessie a message:

Svetlana has left. Let me know how talks with Geneva go. We should meet with Jezebel and discuss it later.
    With that, he goes back to his office, absent-mindedly and distractedly. This entire ordeal took a lot out of him.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Bird in the Hand

"Hoo-poo!" Cries the bird as it's waved around in front of Cessie. It struggles some more, trying to get away, but maybe... Maybe if Anika and Cessie look away, it can get away. It also sounds pretty much like a real hoopoe, even if it doesn't mean anything with the cry.

If not, it's probably stuck here and might get magicked at, and it doesn't want that.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Sophia is visible walking up to the door in her hooded robe.
    She doesn't have to be. Cameras tend not to see them either. But she doesn't intend to bother Mia.
    Into the room, and she sits at the table, setting just one pair of hands on the table.
    "He doesn't want to honor his family's agreement. Not because of you, but because of being in a whole new world."
    [Mia's Lab]

Mia hasn't thought about Sophia in her security measure. After all she wasn't there. On top this is only to regulate people rather then just shut them out. It's not like the door is security shut, but you know if the doors are open people just step in even thought they would never have knocked.
    Mia also seems a bit nervouse as they sit next to each other. Mainly because she isn't sure what he said.

"Understandable." she comments this. "He only saw me once at best, but what does it mean because of the whole new world? Would he do it if he returns?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [The Battered Shield]

"It is dumb." Anika agrees, not even raising an eyebrow as Lapis folds into herself before her.
    "So an battered shield for everyone, including that... oh, it's medic lady. Hi!" Anika waves back at Mia. "You want a battered shield?!" She yells across the room before turning to the bar. "Three battered shields please, maybe four!"
    [The Battered Shield]

I should say Mia isn't that far away. She is sitting at the bar only one or two seats away from lapis place. Mia turns to the bartender.

"Make it four and cancel my previouse order." Mia says. She should take the chance and maybe get in touch with other members. It might be a better idea then jsut waiting for them to appear at the infirmary of while something is broken. She turns to Anika and the new member.
    "My name is Mia, nice to meet you." She just heared of Anika, but only rumors or what she saw in the profile file.
    "I should say I agree with his opinion, such a weapon you got is quiet more impressiv then a sword. The one i have was made by a smith named
    Christopther. He was introduced to me by Wenomir, but I heared he might take a break right now."
    [Due to player taking a break] "I don't know if he will be back soon or not, but it might be an idea to talk to Wenomir, unless you need something more mechanical like a gun. In that case I could do that."

[Wenomir's office]

Around a few days after the training scene or maybe earlier Mia will knock on the door of Wenomir's office. She has worked through her papers and came to the point that Awen, her latest patient, might need support, especially if the hand breaks in any way. Mi is dressed in a typical mechanical outfir with a dungarees. She appears a bit dirty, fresh oil stain on her clothes as well as on her skin which she already tried to wash away. She just finished her maintanance of the engines befor coming here.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

19. - Top - End - #79

[Geneva's Lab]

Okay so.

Geneva has seen Spike before.

Just when she was disguised as a humanoid thing, right?

So seeing the very not humanoid thing in a pretty dress?

Okay, yeah, that's funny. That's enough to get a laugh.

"Okay, blue it is then," Geneva concludes. "I'll place an order for the dress right now. Don't want to get distracted and forget."

She'll begin typing on her little wrist computer. Very handy for buying things on short notice!

"Where's the wedding going to be again?" Geneva asks absently while she taps away at the touch screen.

[The Battered Shield]

Lapis looks a bit downcast when she's scolded by Atreyu.

"Yeah, I guess..." she mutters before giving her best doey eyed look to the man behind the counter. "Sorry I tried to trick you mister bartender. That wasn't a very nice thing to do..."

Then she'll hop off the barstool and head toward whatever table is indicated by the grownups. Lapis seems sufficiently mollified by the promise that she'll still get to try the battered shield even if she doesn't get to sit at the bar (which is still dumb!). At sword talk, she makes a distressed child sound.

"But that dumb thing only knows how to cut!" Lapis cries in consternation. "When I'm practicing swords with people I don't want to cut them! Its good in a for-reals fight but not for pretend ones."

Should children really be in for-reals fights?

Anika might want to point out that Lapis is some sort of weird tree dragon angel deer thing. And speaking of Anika, Lapis gives a firm nod of agreement regarding the dumbness of this situation.

"Maybe I should ask Santa for a sword this year..." Lapis ponders aloud. "Does Santa give out swords?"

The Hogfather (when played by Death) sure does.

A thought occurs to Lapis quite suddenly as she ponders how good she might have to be for Santa to reward her with a nice sword. "How come so many people carry weapons around at VIGIL all the time? I keep seeing lots of adventurers doing it too. But the only bad thing I've seen at VIGIL was that mean ghost from last year that turned me into a sheep and made Cora invisible."

She doesn't mention what it did to Wenomir. She could tell he wasn't happy about it.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Default Geneva's Lab

"Uh, do you know where Skullfort is?" Sekhmet explains, "There's a temple there to the goddess Message." She fingers her ever-present necklace with its shooting star emblem. A holy symbol? Don't holy objects burn Sekhmet? Can't she not set foot on consecrated ground?

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #81
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Mia's Lab]

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Mia hasn't thought about Sophia in her security measure. After all she wasn't there. On top this is only to regulate people rather then just shut them out. It's not like the door is security shut, but you know if the doors are open people just step in even thought they would never have knocked.
    Mia also seems a bit nervouse as they sit next to each other. Mainly because she isn't sure what he said.

"Understandable." she comments this. "He only saw me once at best, but what does it mean because of the whole new world? Would he do it if he returns?"
    "It means his father made the contract without consulting him. Understandably so, I think. If he returned, he might grudgingly go through with it, but as long as he is in the Nexus he can be independent from his family and use his mechanical skill for his own purposes."
    Sophia nods her head back and forth.
    "Perhaps your church could renegotiate?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

[Wenomir's office - Mia]

Wenomir opens the door after a while. He looks tired, but not more so than usual.

"Hello, Mia. Can I help you with something?"
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-09-24 at 02:58 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Bird in the Hand]

Lapis loses zero momentum in response to Cessie's apparent business, frustration, and withering look for Anika.

Obviously this is super important maybe no one told her about how important catching this bird was. Well Lapis can do that for sure.

"The bird isn't really a bird it's SUPER heavy and it disappears whenever people aren't looking at it and-" she begins rambling, fumbling with the bird a bit as it struggles and pecks.

"-stop that bird we're trying to help-"

Thankfully, perhaps unthankfully for the bird, Lapis is a rather indomitable blend of stubborn and resilient. It'll take something pretty dramatic to get her to release the bird. Though if it can get her to stop looking at it that might be its best bet.

"-and it was spying on Makuro at first but then it started following me instead and Makuro said that it was weird and then we tried catching it but it disappears OH! and it doesn't make bird noises it just makes noises like they don't mean anything like it's just trying to sound like a bird and then Anika told me that I had to chase all the birds out of VIGIL in case they were secretly pod people but I don't think this one is a pod person maybe it's a person that got turned into a bird and you know about magic so maybe you can help!"

Then Lapis gives her best toothy smile and holds the bird out toward Cessie so she can see it better.

Lapis is very excited she did such a great job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Leaving VIGIL ==> Wenomir's Office]

After Svetlana leaves, Wenomir sends Cessie a message:

With that, he goes back to his office, absent-mindedly and distractedly. This entire ordeal took a lot out of him.
    [Wenomir's Office]

We shall. But I need to thank you for doing this. It must have been hard for you.
    Cessie first replies, but its shortly followed by another message.

Not not completely change the subject, Jezebel has been here a little while now, so what's your impression of her so far? Keep in mind that you are to evaluate her performance.
    [Bird in the Hand]

Cessie stares blankly at Lapis for a moment before she finally gets a chance to reply. "Lapis, please slow down. You're rambling. This bird Anika have told you to catch is magical and you want me to... see what it is?" She glances at the Hoopoe and then at Anika. "Can you confirm what she's saying?"

"Uh, yeah! It's totally a magical bird. It took like... weeks until Lapis managed to catch it. In a really clever way I should add." She gives Lapis a quick pat on the shoulder.

Still holding on to her communicator Cessie takes another look at the hoopoe, seemingly unsure what to make of it. "I'm afraid that's a bit beyond my ability, Lapis. I would go to Mia or Kalya if you want help with that."

[The Saint, the Urchin and the Satyr]

Finally, Jaahlyn has come to VIGIL to revisit Saint Lazarus and she's carrying a backpack with her.
    She has been directed to whatever part of the base the ghoul knight is currently occupying.
    If she manages to find her, she will go through her usual motions of bowing and pleasantries. "Sir Lazarus, I like to apologies for my tardiness but I have finally found what I think will be a sure way to ease your problem if you're willing to put trust in me once more." She takes off her backpack. Whatever 'solution' she was seems to be carried within it.

24. - Top - End - #84

[Bird in the Hand]

"It's definitely a magic bird Anika was with me one time when it disappeared," Lapis confirms with a vigorous head nod. At Cessie's question Lapis adds, "Yeah! You're good at magic so we wanted to give it to you to magic it so we could find out what it is!"

Then Anika pats Lapis on the shoulder, prompting the little seraph to look up at the elf and just beam with all the childish glee and pride she can muster. She actually shines a bit like a little twinkling star.

That's a problem, though.

For a brief moment there Lapis and Cessie are focused on Anika while Anika is focused on Cessie.

Which means no one is looking at the bird.

For only a fraction of a second, sure.

But that might be enough.

"Oh no, you don't know how to magic the bird?"
    Lapis asks, her funny like ear-wings drooping with disappointment. "I guess we should ask those other people, then?"

[Geneva's Lab]

Geneva considers that name for a moment, looking kind of skeptical.

"...skullfort? That sounds kind of...."

Depressing? Morbid? HeMan-y?

"Well, I guess it doesn't matter how it sounds. I haven't heard of Message, are they a... pleasant god?"

She's having a hard time imagining what a deity who has a temple in a place called skullfort would be like besides unpleasant.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-09-25 at 10:39 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Default Geneva's Lab

"I, uh, don't know the story behind it. But there's a, uh, fort shaped like a skull. But Message is nice! She's about, uh, hope and courage and redemption and things. She lets me into her, uh, holy places." Sekhmet seems pretty enthused about that. It means a lot to her.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #86
    Halfling in the Playground

[The Battered Shield]

"Well, I reckon for a lotta folks, keeping their weapon on their person is sorta a comfort thing. Y'get used to having somethin' reliable by yer side. Not somethin' I've ever taken to doing, mind, but I've seen plenty of adventurers keeping their weapons about 'em." Although as Anika knows, Atreyu has a different sort of comfort item he keeps with him.

"Guns ain't something I'm familiar with, I'm afraid, Mia, but if you reckon Wenomir can point us in the right direction for a smith, there's no harm in that." In fact, it might be doing some good in avoiding harm so Lapis doesn't have to use that terrifying thing for practice.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Bird in the Hand

Unfortunately, it seems Cessie has proof now that the hoopoe isn't what it looks, as- during the brief moment when noone was looking at it- it disappeared. Lapis is unlikely to have noticed a change in weight, however, as the hoopoe has left a wooden duck of the same size and density behind. The deer-dragon may notice the change in texture, however; the duck, despite a realistic paintjob, does not have feathers and isn't breathing, which I guess the hoopoe was doing. I don't recall saying it wasn't, anyway.

28. - Top - End - #88

[The Battered Shield]

"Yeah, I remember you. You're in charge of the medical place." Anika remarks with a gesture at Mia.
    But her attention is quickly drawn back to Lapis when she addresses her. "Uh, I dunno about Santa. We had someone called father Winter but he's a dwarf... I think. But if Santa is anything like father Winter I'm pretty sure he'd give you a sword. Most dwarves love weapons, to make them, to maintain them, to use them... nearly every dwarf I've met have been crazy about them. Even if he can't give you a sword, he can probably give you something just as good... like a double-sword."

Bird in the Hand

"Sorry to disappoint, but enchantments like that are-" Cessie suddenly stops. "Lapis, I think something is, uh, wrong with your bird."

Anika, who was smiling back at Lapis, raises an eyebrow. Confused as to what the sorceress meant. Had the bird used some weird magic perhaps?

29. - Top - End - #89

[Geneva's Lab]

Sometimes people just live in forts shaped like skulls.

"Well, redemption is a good thing to be concerned with," Geneva concludes after a few moments of thought. "The magic of friendship can change hearts, after all. I'll get ready as much as I can. I'm sure the wedding will be beautiful, Sekhmet."

Just grand.

[No Longer Any Birds In Hand Unless You Count a Wooden Duck]

Lapis looks puzzled at Cessie comment for a bare fraction of a second before looking down at the duck.

The duck.

"Oh no no one was looking at it and it disappeared!"

RAAAGH she's so mad she could just- ragh!

Lapis is so mad she eats the wooden duck on the spot! She isn't sure what else to do about it.

"I finally caught it and it got away again!"
    she snarls, her frustration manifesting outwardly as she grows increasingly less concrete, her every aspect waxing dangerous and awesome. Awesome in the very literal old sense of the word. Striking equal parts wonder and terror.

She's just so mad she could-!

She COULD-!

There's an audible pop as the building pressure in the room vanishes, leaving Lapis as a half drow child once again. She hugs Anika's leg and begins crying.

"I tried so h-hard and it... and it just got away again!"
    she wails. "I'm the WORST at catching birds!"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Default Geneva's Lab

"Thank you." Sekhmet will try to hug Geneva. "You're a good friend."

My Nexus characters