New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Vigil VII: Strife Amidst the Clouds

[Battered Shield]

Lapis giggles at the prospect of beard-tonic.

That sounds awfully silly.

And she brightens considerably (and slightly literally) at the idea of a choir!

"Oooooh! I do! I have some sisters and brothers. And maybe the Frescot kids are good at singing, too?"

She isn't sure.

But maybe they are?

Part of the whole fun of child choirs isn't that they're actually skilled.

"I'll tell them about your idea next time I go over there to play!"

Plans are coming together!

But what about food?

Are those battered shields coming together?
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Halfling in the Playground

[Battered Shield]

Food, you say? Well if no one else is going to magically make it appear...ta da! Here it is!

The party has clearly been waiting long enough for the shields to be well-battered and delivered piping-hot to the table.

They sure do look like some tasty food.

"Well, I look forward to learning some new winter songs then."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Battered Shield]

"Never heard them sing but kids got pretty great voices from the start so I'm sure you will all do fine." Anika replies before turning her attention to the food.
    "Oh boy." Then without interruption she starts to wolf it all down. It's not like she's eating too fast but she's very effective when it comes to emptying her plate. Never taking even as much as a moment to exchange words with someone.

4. - Top - End - #154

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    [The Battered Shield]

"It's a trade," says Kal, smiling slightly. "I believe I've fired a gun once or twice, but I wouldn't say that I'm an especially great shot."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Satyr and Steele, Attorneys at Law

"Yeah, that's the gist of it." The satyr nods, glad that they got it this quickly. Usually it was a lot harder to explain. "But you're not actually in a different world. It's more like... well, there's two ways to do this." She raises two fingers. "Either you do it in a dream or while awake. Either method has its complications. The dream method involve me visiting both your dreams and bringing you together, which would have me getting sneak peeks into your minds. Not to mention that your own dreams could complicate things."
    Jaahlyn scratches her head and then suddenly smiles.

"The second method, well... it involves drugs. You would be hallucinating the spirits essentially. With the right drug it would be a lot cleaner and direct of a method. See, warlocks have grown these drugs that allows them to do this while causing them little harm in the process. It's rare to come by outside their circles but I have some with me if you're willing to take my word for it. I know that's asking a lot though so I will leave it up to you." Jaahlyn then turns to Fidelia. "As for the potential of infection, it depends on if its a dream or a hallucination of course." She makes another bow as she finishes her explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    "The one with less risk of that, then," Jenette answers immediately, without so much as a second thought. If the drugs have a chance of making her go permanently braindead, fine. If the dream route will reveal embarrassing childhood memories, who cares. This isn't worth doing if it gets Fidelia killed (and possibly brought back as a walking corpse). Nothing is.

The Battered Shield

"If you ain't even that certain you've shot one, I'm not very confident you've actually managed to hit anything," Blanche smiles. "But I'm sure I can help out with your aim a little. I'm not a trained instructor or anything, but I know my way around a firearm."

Take Drugs, Kill a Bear?

"Well uh, I think I'd prefer not to go with the drugs?" Fidelia answers. She hadn't grown up seeing the better side of how such things could be used or applied. "But yeah, going through dreams sounds smarter? Less risk, and I- I don't think I really have anything to hide in there?" Maybe a couple things from St Lazarus herself, but it doesn't sound like she'd get a glimpse into her mind during the process - just Jaahlyn, who doesn't seem like the gossiping sort.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

5. - Top - End - #155

Jaahlyn bows her head. "Dreams is the choice then. Do you prefer a date where I will visit your dreams or do you want me to do it as soon as tonight?" Her gaze wanders over to Saint Laz. "You do sleep, do you?"

6. - Top - End - #156

The Battered Shield

Mia just nods at the whole chisld sing thing. She ad heared such in her homeworld, but there they sang different songs.
    Different to Anika, Mia will be very civelized. She carefuly cuts one bite sized pieces off and eats them. That way she might need a lot more time, but thats how she learned it. She does look at the druid with some concern if it is even healthy to eat that fast, but she won't speak it out.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Medical Facility]

Sam reluctantly nods.
    "It's free and you'll get changed alright. That much as the most reliable I can get." Whether or not it will be exactly what she wants remains to be seen. But "not this" is at least a given.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Medical Facility]

Wenomir shakes his head. He finds this situation confusing and awkward and this question doesn't help. He can't blame Alexis for asking it, of course. And he has a feeling offering her charity wouldn't go over well.

"Come speak with us once you're back on your feet and we'll see how you can repay the favor."
    Medical Facility

The elf pauses for a moment, uncertain of how to really give her thanks before deciding on kneeling and bowing her head. "Very well. I'll return when I'm able to." She declares before standing up straight and cracking her neck. "So...you have a ride, Sam?" She asks. following him wherever necessary to get out of this place. This place felt...irritable and put her on edge. While the events of AMEN felt heavy on her mind and shoulders, as well as the events of her death, she had to admit that not many people seemed to have second chances like this. She planned to make the most of it. Once she got a different body of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    Training Ground - Potential Student

Quin hefts Jezebel's Eviscerator one-handed for a moment, and makes a few test swings with it. Despite its weight, he seems to wield it as easily as he does Excalibur, though his test swings seem a bit off, as though he's being exceptionally careful with it. He flexes his wrist for a moment with the blade, obviously trying to get a better handle on the weapon's balance, before shaking his head slightly and offering the blade back to Jezebel. His head shake seems to be more in response to what she's saying than her choice in blades.

"I don't really do that much, so you're right, that's probably a place to start. I'm not entirely sure where to begin, though. I mean, do try to make Excalibur an extension of my body, but...I don't really cast my will into it, not like that, if I understand what you're saying correctly." He leans towards Jezebel slightly and from the shape of his eyes, Jezebel might be able to pick up that if he had a visible mouth, he'd be smiling. "I'd also like to say that I like your choice in blades. Exceptionally well-balanced; I'm not used to seeing something so exotic be so easy to handle."
    Training Ground - Potential Student

"Thank you, but usually the Eviscerators aren't. This one has been my personal one and heavily worked upon for years. Much of the time they are so unwieldy and unamored that they are as prone to hurting their wielder as they are whatever the person is swinging at."
    Jezebel explains, taking her blade back and setting it down. "Mind if I ask why you have chosen to pick up the blade? Were you required to by your land, the blade's custodian, or simply felt a calling? Or any other reason. And it would help to know if you follow any particular philosophies of combat. Or if your blade might follow one. It almost felt like it could have some sense of sentience given time here."

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Take Drugs, Kill a Bear?

"Well uh, I think I'd prefer not to go with the drugs?" Fidelia answers. She hadn't grown up seeing the better side of how such things could be used or applied. "But yeah, going through dreams sounds smarter? Less risk, and I- I don't think I really have anything to hide in there?" Maybe a couple things from St Lazarus herself, but it doesn't sound like she'd get a glimpse into her mind during the process - just Jaahlyn, who doesn't seem like the gossiping sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

Jaahlyn bows her head. "Dreams is the choice then. Do you prefer a date where I will visit your dreams or do you want me to do it as soon as tonight?" Her gaze wanders over to Saint Laz. "You do sleep, do you?"
    "Soon as possible, and it's...close enough to sleep," Saint Lazarus explains, not sounding entirely sure. Whatever, it's probably fine. She lies down, closes her eyes, and stops doing stuff for a few hours. Elves supposedly meditate instead of sleeping, so maybe it's essentially the same thing as that? Plus, while what she does might not line up exactly with the human definition of sleep, trying to drug her corpsely shell could fail completely. It'd be an awful waste for Jaahlyn to go to all the trouble of collecting the necessary reagents for her vision quest pharmaceutical, only for Jenette's zombie body to be completely immune to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

9. - Top - End - #159

Satyr, Stahl and Daubigny - The Dream Team?

Fidelia nods in agreement. "Y-yeah, tonight works." There's a bit of eagerness, but mostly she's just happy to follow Jenette's lead on this one. Whatever works for her, surely will work for the squire.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

10. - Top - End - #160

[Battered Shield Battered Shield Eating]

Oh.

Oh wow.

That is a whole bunch of food.

And Lapis is so very small.

How could she possibly make a dent in something that-

Huh.

She's actually managing to keep up with Anika who is literally several times her size. How? What kind of monster IS this child?

11. - Top - End - #161

[Constantly Changing Location Tag]

Jaahlyn nods. "Tonight it is then. Just make sure to go to bed early and do whatever you can to fall asleep." No pressure though, right?
    She pauses and holds her tail high, displaying the bauble that's tied to it. "No matter what form I might take in your dream you will always recognize me by this. It's my guide light, souls both alive and dead can follow it to safety." With a sudden shake of her tail the bauble bobs around and starts to glow brightly. "See? In your own dreams the light will be different but you will still recognize it. It's a bit difficult to explain, but if it looks exactly like this it might just be your own dreams deceiving you though. But that's of no concern unless your own mind is out to get you." Which they aren't... right?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Halfling in the Playground

[On the Ground]

There's a man following the skybase around. He's not particularly noteworthy, and he's not particularly obvious about it. With something that big and with everything that VIGIL has going on, it's probably pretty easy to disguise the fact that you're observing them. Especially when you're all by your lonesome. He doesn't seem to have transportation, or any speedy means with which to come and go, but he keeps popping up regardless. Sometimes disappearing before reappearing beneath the skybase dozens of miles from where it was originally positioned.

This man has a couple distinct advantages in this process. He can see very far, and he is very careful to keep his distance. This doesn't seem to pose any issue with his ability to observe. Unless someone has an extraordinary means of keeping watch or detecting possible intruders, he'll probably be very hard to pick out. Mostly he watches one thing specifically: the ways people come and go after they're shuttled down to the surface.

He is looking for someone specific. He has never met them. He knows what they look like... and he knows they're called Blanche. He's trying to see what means Blanche uses to get around. And if he can determine that without being spotted from one of his far-off perches... well, he might just finally move a little closer.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

13. - Top - End - #163

For In That Sleep Of Death, What Dreams May Come

"Glowing tail, guiding light, has to look like anything except that or else my head is out to get me," Saint Lazarus repeats with a nod, ignoring the implied, unspoken question at the end there. After all, if her mind wasn't out to get her, would they even be here?

"Is there anything else important I should know about before trying to bully my subconscious into being less hungry all the time?" she asks, trying to not sound anxious even though the wait is absolutely killing her with worry and she wants to just get this done with and fall asleep on the floor right here and now.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Hangar Bay

One of the smaller airships in the hangar is currently in a state of disrepair. Or rather a state of repair? It's surrounded by a pile of spare parts, assorted tools, and segments of hull plating. A rattling metallic din is constantly sounding from within, a sound of power tools, hand tools, welding, and soldering. Occasionally, a greasy hand emerges to grab something from nearby and then disappears back into the ship. Something's certainly going on. Someone is working hard. With a grunt, a man utterly splattered in grease heaves an entire engine block out of the airship and sets it outside. Then he begins gathering up a pile of assorted engine parts and carrying them back into the vehicle.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #165

[Training Grounds]

Footwork is hard when you have twice as many feet as you used to have.

But that isn't going to stop Pepper, no sir! She thought she was going to go crazy being locked in her room with all the Buttercup going on. But thankfully VIGIL caught wind of Intersection's Buttercup Name Integrator. Sure it wouldn't cure her (why would she want to stop being herself? Being her is the best!) but it DID make it so she wasn't a wandering seed any more! Which means she doesn't have to worry about Naming anyone (yay!) and she got to choose a nice place to root (also yay!) AND she got to drop the name Buttercup and got her own botanical signature (triple yay!)

She's certainly something of a sight. Honestly, all the gaiads are. A fantastically beautiful woman with reddish brown hair full of little white pepper flowers from the waste up, a reddish brown furred deer from the waste down with little greenish flowers dotting her fur. Big cervine ears. Hooves made of stone. And an almost infectious aura of bubbly cheer. Thankfully not LITERALLY infectious anymore. She saw to that! Most of that isn't visible at the moment, though. Mostly because she's wearing a two part gambeson that covers BOTH her human torso and her deer body. And on top of THAT she's wearing a suit of adamantine half-plate.

Rebonack's signature armor. Which makes sense. Pepper was Rebonack before she ran afoul of a friendly Buttercup.

The gaiad is currently wielding a ranseur, practicing her footwork (hoofwork?) as she circles a training dummy, occasionally making jabs at it with her polearm. Her form is quite good, but it is just as clear that she isn't wholly comfortable with her new body shape. The weight distribution is all different, and that means she needs more practice.

All this iron is just...

Blegh. Wearing the iron alloy armor, though. Feels gross. As does holding her weapon in spite of the heavy leather gloves.

But she doesn't want to give up her armor. No WAY would she do that. The suit of artifact armor has more than just sentimental value to her. It's one of the few links she has left to her old life before... everything else.

That and it's a pretty rockin' suit of armor.

Going through the spear drills is... relaxing. It helps clear her naturally bouncy, bubbly, fizzy mind. She needs her thoughts honed and focused if she's going to start going on missions for VIGIL again. Helping people is important to her. Righting wrongs. Dispensing righteous justice! Are people still going to respect her as an arbiter of goodness if she's distractable and air-headed? Definitely not! Practice those drills. Trot through those steps. Dance the dance of martial excellence rather than frivolous frolicking. She can do it. She knows she can. It'll just take persistence, discipline-

"-and STRENGTH!" Pepper shouts as she digs her hooves into the earth and slams her spear into the training dummy with all her might! The wooden stake it's mounted on snaps under the force of the blow, causing Pepper to stumble forward a few paces at the sudden shift in weight. The dummy thumps to the ground with the spear stuck in it up to the cross-guard. Ser Pepper giggles sheepishly. "Whoopsie dhoopsie! Maybe a little TOO much strength."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-11-16 at 11:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Training Ground

Oh hey is that a particularly resplendent bird of paradise sleeping in a nearby tree?
    Well, it is and it isn't. This bird in particular startles awake at the sound of combat. Oh no, are they under attack- oh wait he fell asleep next to the training ground. Why did he think that was a good idea? He's lucky no one is practicing with a gun. Or the Commander's mate's very loud sword.
    The bird flutters down to land squarely on the gaiad's rump. "Hi Ser uh, Pepper! How have you been? Has your armor been pinching? Did you ever find that faerie deli?" oh right that's Spako. Did Pepper remember Spako is sometimes a very colorful bird? It's okay if she didn't, Spako forgets some time too.
    Spako has been very worried for his friend. Cursed, again. With no cure in sight. But she's happy, and that's alright. It's a little alarming that Buttercup seemed to like it when Spako called her Sir Rebo but now she's pretty set on being Pepper. But that's just how people adjust sometimes. After all, he took to being this, didn't he? And a dragon. Sure he sought those out. But changing your name? Well, Spako has more indirect experience with that than most. He can respect it. Hopefully Pepper can respect that her friend is worried about her and just wants to make sure that she's really happy and not just influenced by Buttercupness. And that she's getting along with being a new weird non-human thing.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

17. - Top - End - #167

[Training Grounds]

Pepper trots up to the dummy, braces a hoof against it, and starts yanking on her spear.

"Wowie zowie, that's really stuck in there..." she mutters as she pulls on it. Just. NNNGH! PULL! RRRGH! Oof. That's just not wanting to come out. Pepper glowers at the spear, rolls her shoulders, squares her hooves, and-

Oh no her butt is talking to her!

"What."

She glances back over her shoulder.

Oh wait, not, that's just a colorful talking bird perched on her butt.

"Do I know you, bird?" she asks, momentarily puzzled. It doesn't take long for a look of recognition to dawn. "Oh the deli! Spako? Since when were you a bird?" she asks. "You're an awfully shiny bird."

Possibly the shiniest bird Pepper has ever seen.

"The armor doesn't pinch but it feels gross. It's the iron, it has to be,"
    she replies after a few seconds of thought. "I should probably feed it some new metal that isn't iron. Also find a faerie deli that makes a good hero sandwich. Because what other kind of sandwich would a HERO have for lunch!"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Training Grounds

Spako flutters to the ground and takes his true dragony shape.
    Why?
    So he can drape a big wing over his friend in a big dragony hug.
    ”It’s good to see you’re well, Sir- Pepper.” That name is still giving him trouble.
    ”I was really worried about you. But you seem to be adjusting. Um. Keep looking for that place. I know there are brownie bakeries somewhere. And um. I can probably find you a non-iron weapon. Me and Sylvess are kind of um. Dragons. We keep shiny weapons. I got some from when I saved that princess and they gave me Date-Blossom.”
    It probably says something that Spako seems to consider the giant pack-lizard the more notable thing of that hoard.
    ”How much does your armor need?”

19. - Top - End - #169

[Training Grounds]

Oh no dragon hugs! Pepper gets a nice wing-squeeze as she continues pulling on her spear.

"I would be doing better if this spear would come los-"

Pop!

Out it comes!

Pepper once again appreciates having four legs. She probably would have fallen on her butt just now if she had two.

"Oh no need to worry about me, Spako. I'm a BRAVE and RESOLUTE hero! I LAUGH in the face of adversity! Teeheehee!" Pepper laughs. It isn't a loud laugh. But she seems to think it's hilarious, which gets her giggling even more. "Heehee... Oh wowie would you? I'll need lots of metal, enough to replace ALL my armor and ALL the other little bits. I've been thinking about metals I could use, things that wouldn't hurt if I touch them on accident. And after doing some reading I think I've found the PERFECT alloy! I'm going to need a whole bunch of titanium, a lot of silver, and a little bit of pure mithril."

She dismisses her spear, the weapon vanishing in a cloud of tiny hexagonal cogs that integrate into her armor.

"Not mithril in armor. Or even in a weapon! It needs to be pure mithril. Like the sort dwarves and kobold dig up."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-11-17 at 01:04 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Training Grounds

”Well...Sylvess and I did invest a lot of our hoards to help fund our new Kobold friends’ business. But we might have silver to spare. And I know I have a weapon or two lying around that’s made of mithril you could melt down. You will have to get any other mithril and titanium yourself, though. Sylvess is being very frugal lately. And I can’t blame him. We spent a lot to get Fort Aegis going. And um. We uh. We need to save a lot. For the eggs.” Spako is suddenly stammering. That’s not something he does often.
    ”I have seven eggs, Pepper. Seven. That’s three and a half twos. I’d be honored if you came to see them after they hatch. I was going to ask you before but um. Buttercup happened. But I think you would make as good an aunt as an uncle.”
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2020-11-17 at 01:12 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

[Training Grounds]

"That's alright, Spako, If you haven't got it then that just means I need to do some HEROIC QUESTING!"
    Pepper replies with her typical enthusiastic spunk. The fact that she has a high, feminine voice now instead of the booming, masculine voice Rebonack had previously makes it sound pretty silly. But then again, Pepper really doesn't seem to mind at all. "Oh wowie now I'm getting excited just thinking about it! I haven't done any questing since the Buttercupocolypse. I can thrust WAY harder than I could before! I think it's the extra legs. Twice as many legs means twice as strong thrusting. That's science, probably."

Granted, Pepper doesn't know a ton about science.

Though she does know a decent bit about enchanting magical objects and metallurgy thanks to her armor. Keeping it fed is kind of an ongoing quest in and of itself. But well worth the trouble! Speaking of armor, she's done with it for now so it disassembles itself and clumps into a great big shiny metal cube nearby, leaving Pepper in her heavy cloth gambeson.

Suddenly a gasp rises from Pepper's lips. She steps back a few paces, her eyes wide.

"You have eggs?" she asks, her excitement level somehow managing to rise even higher. "Oh WOWIE ZOWIE why didn't you tell me before! Ooooh that's so wonderful Spako you'll make the bestest daddy!"

And then she hugs the dragon right then and there!

"Wow seven. SEVEN! That's SO MANY babies! How are you going to do it? Oooh you need help, that's it! That's why you're telling me! WELL! If you need any baby-sitting aid from the BRAVEST and MOST RIGHTEOUS PARAGON of CHILD-CARE HEROISM then look no further than Auntie Ser Pepper!"

Wow her excitement and enthusiasm is just getting so totally over the top that she... she could- oooooh!

With a little POP! all her flowers go to fruit on the spot. Now she's got a bunch of jalapeno peppers and avocados hanging off her.

"EEEEP! I fruited oh no this is so embarrassing! AAAAAHeeehehehe!"
    she half-wails half-laughs as she starts hastily picking them. "Quick I need a basket!"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Training Grounds

Spako looks around and manages to locate a slightly wet plastic bucket after he manages to dump out the water that was in it.
    ”What do you do with all the vegetables anyway? I thought normal people can’t eat too many of them without getting enchanted.” It’s good for the local brownies’ businesses, though. Orchard Court, PMP is practically a farmer’s market for them now.
    Spako is NOT sure how to feel about veggies growing out of his friend. But she doesn’t seem to mind. Really, Spako would prefer there not to have been mental effects but he can’t say he doesn’t see the argument that there’s very much worse things to be cursed into than a happy nymph.
    ”And well. If you’re going to be staying Ser Pepper that would mean, hehe, that you’d be their Faerie Godmother.”

23. - Top - End - #173

[Training Grounds]

Pepper begins plucking off the fruits and plopping them into the bucket. She doesn't make any vegetables, no sir! It has definitely meant that she's got quite the surplus of materials for making salsa guacamole, though. She laughs as she gathers drops the last avocado into the bucket.

"You would have to be eating nothing but faerie food for a while. Since you are what you eat! If faerie food is only part of your diet then you're okay. There are LOTS of other ingredients that go with avocado and jalapenos," Pepper says as she sets the bucket aside. "Mostly I've been making dips and chipolte for the mess hall in case they feel like spicing things up a little. It's been fun!"

She's got quite the little garden growing near her quarters now. Considering the whole gaiad thing that isn't surprising. Aside from, of course, peppers and avocado she also has a pretty nice supply of tomato growing as well as a few little lime trees. Cilantro, garlic, onions of various kinds, all the things she needs to make the best guacamole ever. Since Rebonack had gotten the curse removed a few years back he had taken quite the interest in making food since he could actually enjoy it again. That hasn't changed at it. Pepper just has to be careful about making her own food rather than taking things from the mess hall.

Prepared mortal food and fae don't get along well.

"Haha, exactly! Pepper the faerie godmother. I just can't grant wishes. Unless they wish for some really tasty food then I could probably grant that," Pepper laughs as she gives Spako another hug before picking up her bucket and trotting off toward her quarters. The cube of armor sprouts a bunch of tiny millipede style legs and begins following her. Rebonack's armor always had a mind of its own, though that mind seemed to be about on part with 'loyal dog' rather than anything more sapient. "I need to put these away. Then start planning on where to find the metal I need. It'll be an adventure! Do you think you've got some time for adventures today, Spako?"

Even if that adventure is just finding out where and when to have another adventure.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Training Grounds

"You can grant that wish when they're older. Baby dragons are almost entirely carnivorous. Besides, they'll be really small at first. One of your peppers would be the size of their head." It's easy to eat your body weight in fairy food when you weigh two pounds.
    Spako follows after Ser Pepper. Luckily he's not so big a dragon that he can't fit into the buildings. But now Ser Pepper is too weird-shaped for Spako to carry. He had hoped he could play Sir Rebo's knightly steed for the children at least once. Sir Rebo loved showing off his knightliness for the children. And Spako doubts that has changed.
    "Oh, I'll be around for a while. I need to be here on-call at least a little. I admit I disappeared for a while when I met Sylvess and had to help him out with things and then the eggs happened..." Spako's turn to watch the eggs will be tomorrow. He has today to himself.

25. - Top - End - #175

[Adventure Planning]

"Oooh I can cook meat-based dishes, too! I don't use JUST peppers for making things. But I need to make EVERYTHING myself. It's a whole lot of work! But lucky for me faeries are kinda notorious for doing work pretty fast." Pepper says as she begins putting the jalapenos and avocados away.

Her quarters are kind of hilariously eclectic. They at once say 'brave warrior' and 'doting grandma'. But those things aren't TOO contradictory, are they? So weapons and trophies on display right next to overflowing cooking supplies. There's a basket of corn sitting over there along with a little hand-mill for grinding it. The base of the hand-mill appears to have been made out of a giant's stone war hammer. Pepper, of course, needs to do ALL food preparation herself if she wants to enjoy it. And she ALSO needs to do all food preparation herself if she wants to infuse it with sufficient levels of love that she feels in needed for OTHER people to enjoy it.

"Speaking of, are you hungry? I've got a few tamales left over from last night."

Oh no.

Spako.

Don't.

Don't let her start feeding you she'll never stop.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

[Adventure Planning]

Hmm. Maybe Pepper got a little bit of brownie in her when she got Buttercup'd. Masks work in mysterious ways.
    "I'm going to need more than a couple tamales, Ser Pepper. Let's stay on task for now. We can worry about snacks later."
    Spako has gotten used to dodging invitations for food when he started helping with Fort Aegis. The kobolds are good people but they still culturally venerate dragons and Spako and Sylvess have been offered a lot of offerings.

27. - Top - End - #177

[Adventure Planning]

Nah doing work quickly is something to be found in many fae stories. Pepper just happened to have interests and personality quirks before she got Buttercup'd that worked together to feed her motherly caregiver disposition.

"Oh! Well, I can make something else too if you're really extra hungry! I don't want my friends to be hungry," Pepper replies, her ears perking up as she smiles wide.

Oh no Spako you made it worse.

She's already zipping around the kitchen, bouncing here and there, dicing this and chopping that and gathering up the other thing.

"So I was looking into new places for finding useful metals," Pepper says as the scent of cooking meat begins filling the room. "Since I always have to feed my armor. And I found some clues about an old dwarf fortress! Just, wowie! It sounds like a real doozy! They used to dig up mithril there so it'll be the perfect place to search! Buuuuuut-"

A dragon-sized helping of carnitas, beans, and rice, several tortillas, and a few tamales gets slid in front of Spako. She somehow managed to get that ready in a few minutes flat. Probably faerie things going on. It smells pretty great, though! And Pepper is just smiling so much don't make her sad by not eating it Spako she does this because she loves you.

"It was abandoned because of hidden fun stuff! I'm not sure what that means but it has something to do with clowns? I'm not sure why dwarfs would abandon a fortress because of clowns."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

[Adventure Planning]

Spako awkwardly leans over to free his foreclaws and does his best to neatly eat the food. Luckily dragons have hand-like claws and mouths that can chew better than most reptiles but it's still a little awkward.
    He could just change to being a kobold but Spako gets nauseous if he shifts rapidly between his forms.
    "Well, clowns that scared off a band of dwarves from their mine sound pretty serious. Could always be some sort of demon. Sometimes they like taking ironic forms. But uh. Yeah. Sounds like an expedition alright."
    Spako is in the tenuous position where complimenting Pepper's cooking will only get him served more. But it's polite to do...

29. - Top - End - #179

[Adventure Planning]

While Spako is eating Pepper is bouncing around the quarters getting things tidied up while at the same time double checking a few maps to make sure she has her locations right. She had a printout of the upper levels of the fort didn't she? Where did she put that thing? Try as she might she can't find any references to what 'Hidden Fun Stuff' might be. Or any suggestion that clowns are anything other than people in funny shoes and face paint who make others laugh.

"I don't know, Spako, it sure doesn't SOUND like demons. But I guess if it were then they probably need a little RIGHTEOUS JUSTICE to encourage them to stop being such meanies," Pepper says as she watches the dragon eat. "Is that enough? Are you still hungry? I have some chilli rellenos, too."

Oh no.

Noooo.

Not more food.

Pepper already gave Spako enough to leave even a dragon feeling stuffed.

"Did you want to come with me on my adventure? Wowie, it would be just like old times! It feels like it's been forever since we've had a proper adventure together."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

[Adventure Planning]

Spako does his best to get back to his feet and present himself as a noble, if stuffed, dragon.
    "No, I'm quite done, Ser Pepper. You know, when they said that vacuum would help you and Buttercup mingle as one person I didn't expect you would turn into Elder Grako."
    Kobolds raise their young as a community rather than individual parents. So Spako didn't have a granny to dote on him. But he did have an elder who doted on all the hatchlings who may or may not have actually been his grandmother.
    "Well, we kind of met and immediately applied here. I don't know if we ever really went on a full-length job together." ponders the dragon as he tries to think if him and Sir Rebo went on any lengthy adventures.