New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Vigil VII: Strife Amidst the Clouds

[Random Magical Event 245]

It seems incredibly unlikely Zophiel will be ever able to eat ten times his body weight in mashed potatoes in a week, let alone in an hour.

"Heehaw, honk stay hewhawk. Honk, wow, heehawn honk, why hewhaw honk..." The paladin sighs. He looks over at the donkey goose.
    "Maybe heehaw honk end heehaw honk I...? Heehaw, honk there heehawk honk can heehawn honk all heehaw honk?"

If more stings don't make this worse, then he's already got the worst of it. Hopefully. So long as it doesn't progress on its own.
    The paladin looks down at his sword: "Heehaw honk get hewhaw honk closer, hewhawn honk could hewhaw honk," but this mechanic guy wants to study it so that would be a bad idea.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

RME 245

Saramond is obscured in a cloud of bees.

And then a moment later, a fist erupts from the mass of insects to punch the donkey-goose on the jaw. The armored mechanic steps out of the cloud, pipes spraying mashed potatoes everywhere. "That's enough of that."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

POW!

Right in the kisser!

The donkey-goose is out like a light and, for whatever reason, knocking it out appears to have knocked out the bees as well.

How does that work, exactly?

Who knows.

The Nexus is full of mysteries.

All the weird stuff it caused remains, but at least no NEW weird stuff is happened. It even stopped hailing tiny frozen ladders!

Thankfully nothing that just transpired was actually truly dangerous.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #214

The paladin watches.

Well, that's good. At least nothing new, then.

"Hewhaw honk really heehawn honk out. Hewhawk honk go heehaw honk infirmary heehaw honk, don't hewhaw honk?" he asks. He runs his fingers back through his hair.
    Actually, though, thinking more about it, he probably shouldn't leave. If it does get worse then being here near the source seems like it would be the best chance to stop or reverse whatever's happening.
    And this guy seems like he might be able to figure it out, too.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

RME 245

The mechanic takes a roll of duct tape out of his toolbox and carefully tapes the donkey-goose's mouth shut. Then he starts the arduous process of removing mashed potato pipes from his armor, mostly by just tearing them off. "Ugh, this will take forever to fix. You all right? I can only understand every third word, so try saying the same words three times over."

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #216

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [On the Ground]

The gleaming Riftline platform awaits Blanche, and perhaps a few others who live near the shuttle platform or who are coming from the VIGIL base. There's a large man, dark of hair, beard, skin and eye, already waiting for the train. He wears a long blue coat. The profile of his face speaks to noble lineage. He's carrying a long steel-grey suitcase. Blanche can tell it's likely not the case for a gun, if she has even bothered to notice this fellow. Maybe he's a musician.

The train whisks into the station like a wraith, settling to a stop with a jostle and a hiss. The doors flick open. The man waits for others to step through, but he just about bumps into Blanche. "Excuse me," he offers in a voice as deep as an ocean trench. "After you."

On The Ground

It would be a lie to say Blanche doesn't even notice the sizeable figure - she raises an eyebrow in fact - but it's really only a fleeting amount of attention. When there's a steady rhythm to when you head out on public transportation like this, you tend to pick up a sense of who the other regulars are. Always the same vampiric mechanic with the lazy eye, that one peculiar Matoran who startles a little when the hiss of the train distracts him from his reading. Living onsite helps breed that familiarity too. But there's not much to the stranger to provoke deeper notice. VIGIL gets plenty of visitors, after all.

"Sorry," the catgirl responds in that unconcerned, informal way you do when you don't really mean it or care one way or another, just repeating that age-old ritual reply out of habit and politeness. She can't help but note that rather distinctive voice as she steps onto the train, however. Not the sort of baritone she hears often,
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lazzy: Nightmare in Dream Land

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Our True Mentor... Our Guiding Moonlight

Souls both alive or dead, huh? It's certainly an interesting statement. Does she mean to say that both of them shall be able to follow, or is she just trying to get across how capable she is as a guide? Either way, it sounds like she might be a shepherd of the dead as much as the living. Hopefully not in the Charon kind of way. "So uh, one of those things where we'll know it when we see it?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Constantly Changing Location Tag]

Jaahlyn nods to Fidelia. "Your... girlfriend is correct, lady Lazarus. You will simply recognize it once you see it. The the dead do after all despite often never having seen it for their before. It's an instinct you could say. As much a part of your natural instincts as anything else." The satyr then pauses for a moment to consider Laz's last question. "If you see dead close ones you may talk to them but don't follow them if they move away from you. My presence within your dreams might attract them to you but it's rare so I don't expect it to happen. Just be aware that it might, though it might not actually be a bad thing depending on those you've lost."
    Jenette nods. She can't recall any friends or family whose passing was major enough to cause trouble now. I mean, half her grandparents had passed before she was ten, and the other two went away of natural causes after a few years of quietly falling apart, but really, aside from them, her former life hasn't been touched by a whole lot of death. Maybe Romero's predecessor Saurous might be there, chasing ghost squirrels and chasing dream frisbees. It'd be nice to see him again, maybe. Probably not very dangerous, either.

"Feel free to talk to the dead, but don't follow them into a trap, got it." It's the people she's killed that would be a much more serious problem, if they're allowed into the dreamscape, but Jaahlyn didn't mention the possibility, so Laz is reasonably sure she's safe from that. Besides, even if they do come back, she's already cut them down once. Killing them again in a dream shouldn't be any harder, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

8. - Top - End - #218

[RME 245]

The paladin steps closer. All the bees have fallen asleep, so maybe it'll be a good thing to gather them up, he thinks. Especially if they'll wake at the same time as the donkey.

He grabs a bag and starts towards where the larger swarm of bees were, and starts to put them in the bag.

He answers. "Heehaw honk speaking, hewhaw honk fine. Heehaw heehaw heehaw honk honk honk try try try Hewhawk hewhawk hewhawk. Honk honk honk it it it...? Heehaw heehaw heehaw. Honk honk honk. there there there. . ." Noticing that it didn't work, he stops doing it since it was annoying to do anyway. "...heehaw honk all heehaw honk help hewhonk?"

Since it's so hard to understand him, he considers it might actually be better to just not say anything.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

RME 245

The mechanic sighs and removes his helmet. "I don't know if you can tell, but every time you speak, you make animal noises. So I can't understand anything you say." He gently kicks the unconscious donkey-goose. "What do you reckon we do with him?"

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #220

RME 245

The paladin nods. [color=royalblue]"Heehaw honk know," he says. He stops with the bees, since the donkey-goose is probably definitely more important, and he's got enough bees that they can analyze their venom to see if they can counter it.

Of course, knowing that communication is hard doesn't make it any easier. He makes a gesture showing tying it up and then him carrying it. "Hewhaw honk up, hewhawn honk labs?" he says. "Heehaw honk tested." Thinking of sentences in three-word phrases hopefully helps get the important words in the right place.

And hopefully, between the gestures and saying stuff, that was helpful enough to explain what he was thinking.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

RME 245

Saramond wraps the donkey-goose in even more duct tape and slings its unconscious body over his shoulder. "Right, let's get this thing properly contained, then we can clean up its mess."

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #222

RME 245

The paladin nods. Yeah.

He follows, in case he needs to help carry it. But, it looks like Saramond is able to carry it on his own.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Halfling in the Playground

On The Ground

It would be a lie to say Blanche doesn't even notice the sizeable figure - she raises an eyebrow in fact - but it's really only a fleeting amount of attention. When there's a steady rhythm to when you head out on public transportation like this, you tend to pick up a sense of who the other regulars are. Always the same vampiric mechanic with the lazy eye, that one peculiar Matoran who startles a little when the hiss of the train distracts him from his reading. Living onsite helps breed that familiarity too. But there's not much to the stranger to provoke deeper notice. VIGIL gets plenty of visitors, after all.

"Sorry," the catgirl responds in that unconcerned, informal way you do when you don't really mean it or care one way or another, just repeating that age-old ritual reply out of habit and politeness. She can't help but note that rather distinctive voice as she steps onto the train, however. Not the sort of baritone she hears often,
    On the Ground

And so they board the train with no further fuss. The peculiar man remains not far from Blanche, hanging on to the train car, gently swaying as the riftline shoots down the track. After a couple of minutes, she may look up to find that he's glancing at her. The man offers a winning, mellow smile tucked into his straight black beard.

"Pardon me for asking, young lady," he points with a finger to indicate the way they came from, "But do you work at that large, floating place?" He sounds like a curious citizen more than anything else. A fan of VIGIL's heroes and public figures, perhaps?
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

14. - Top - End - #224

On The Ground

Taking a seat near the door of the train, Blanche mostly seems a bit preoccupied with fiddling with her phone- though that doesn't stop her from noting a glance from the bearded man or two. It would be a reason to raise an eyebrow over, but an explanation seems to present itself when he speaks up. "Er, VIGIL? Yeah, I do," she responds.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

15. - Top - End - #225

[On the Ground]

"Ah. This must be exciting," rumbles the man. "I could not stand being so far from the ground for so long." He looks around, through the windows, eyes narrowed against the sun. "Young lady, I believe I have been sent to collect you. I would ask that you not make this too difficult... for me. For yourself. Or for our fellow passengers."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

RME 245

Saramond can indeed carry the donkey-goose down to the labs without help. His power armor may not be military grade, but it does enhance his strength significantly. But he doesn't mind the paladin coming along. Especially since Zoph probably needs to get his new speech impediment checked out.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [On the Ground]

"Ah. This must be exciting," rumbles the man. "I could not stand being so far from the ground for so long." He looks around, through the windows, eyes narrowed against the sun. "Young lady, I believe I have been sent to collect you. I would ask that you not make this too difficult... for me. For yourself. Or for our fellow passengers."
    On The Ground

Blanche's gaze hardens as the stranger drops the pretense for the moment, her hand almost instantly on the holster by her side. "I'm not too amenable to being collected. Maybe we can reach a compromise, find a nice, deserted stop where we can try and kill each other like civilized men?" She isn't keen on putting anyone else in danger, but it's going to be very hard for her to resist, well, not resisting.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

18. - Top - End - #228

[On the Ground]

"Your weapon is much more likely to harm these people than it is me. Though perhaps that is less of a concern for you than I anticipated," says Maiel. The way he looks at her... it's as though his eyes have disappeared into his head, leaving only black pits with a ruby glare twinkling in their depths. "I have no wish for you to die, Blanche. This is not my task."

"We will wait for your empty station. But I would behave in the mean time." He looks around as though bored. "Or... these fine people will never see the end of their journey."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

19. - Top - End - #229

[RME 245]

The paladin goes along and, upon getting there, probably gets looked at.

However,
    supposedly that particular effect ends after an hour and he's speaking in his own voice again.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

20. - Top - End - #230

[On the Ground]

"Oh, I'm sure I'd hate for you to fail it," Blanche answers, narrowing her eyes and showing little discomfort at the change in Maiel's visage as she crosses her arms. She doesn't choose to remark on the accusation that she cares little for the lives around her, perhaps seeing it as not worth dignifying a response.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Battered Shield]

Anika keeps saying Ilpholin should come visit more often, get out of the house, relax and stop protecting the Nexus from the encroaching demonic apocalypse. Well today at least she'd kind of get her wish.

With a loud engine roar, a hovercycle pulls up outside, a slightly luminescent dark red streaking its sides, pulsing with raw energy. The rider atop, dressed in black, climbs off and takes off her helmet, disconnecting her purple hair from the ports within and letting it spill over her shoulders as it seems to lengthen to just above her waist. Placing the helmet atop the vehicle, it seems to fold in on itself, decreasing in size and magnitude until it's no more than a black metallic cube that barely fits in the palm of her hand.

The vehicle quickly gets pocketed as the nymph heads inside, Ilpholin's black sclera highlighting her emerald eyes as they glance around the establishment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

22. - Top - End - #232

[On the Ground]

"Oh, I'm sure I'd hate for you to fail it," Blanche answers, narrowing her eyes and showing little discomfort at the change in Maiel's visage as she crosses her arms. She doesn't choose to remark on the accusation that she cares little for the lives around her, perhaps seeing it as not worth dignifying a response.
    [On the Ground]

Maiel waits. He's very still. He seems calm, but there is an air of leashed tension. A station or two rolls by before a more remote one appears somewhere on the outskirts of Inside, a run down village with green plains rolling away from its borders. The car's already emptied a little, but no one disembarks.

Maiel holds out a hand, palm up. "After you."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

[Airship Gantry]

An unusual visitor is in the gantry today. A tall, powerful monk in a grey robe. Of course, Vigil members visit this place a lot, but the monk seems more interested in the airship than most. She wanders around, speaking to the pilots and mechanics, clearly intent on learning more about them.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Airship Gantry

One of the smaller airships is producing quite a racket. The sound of tools rings out from it, and spare parts are scattered across its deck and even some of the gantry nearby it. "Where did I leave that wrench?" says a frustrated voice from within. The wrench is sitting out on the deck, next to a freshly bolted on anchor point for mooring lines.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

[Airship Gantry]

Calm Reed takes a quick look around and, seeing no one else who's closer at hand than she is, goes to pick up the wrench herself.

"I believe it is here," she says.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Airship Gantry

A hand splattered in black grease pops out of the airship's engine compartment to take the wrench. "Phew. Thought I'd lost it. Thanks, miss..." The engineer waits expectantly for a name.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

[Airship Gantry]

"Calm Reed," the monk says. "Are you one of the airship engineers?"

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Airship Gantry

"I'm Saramond, Saramond Goshen. And yeah, I'm an engineer. Why? Your airship have a problem?" A man's head, greasy enough that it's difficult to tell what his skin and hair colors are, finally pokes out of the engine compartment. He wipes his forehead with an equally filthy rag and continues, "What do you need?"

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

[Airship Gantry]

Calm Reed's eyes narrow ever so slightly. Physical labor does come with grease, she's well aware. And whatever she's thinking, it's clear she's as stoic as her name implies.

"I do not have an airship. But I am here to learn how to fly them... hopefully. Some of them at least seem similar enough to seaborne ship for it to be possible."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Airship Gantry

"I'm not much of a pilot, but if you wait a few minutes, I can get this ship running for a test flight." Saramond pops back into the engine compartment and the noises of work resume again.

My Nexus characters