New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Shining Plume [IC]

You are in the antechamber to the central hall of Bastion, the headquarters of the Shining Plume. With you are a few servants, helping you with any last-minute adjustments to your ceremonial garb. You're dressed much as you will be on the field, if a little more ornamental and less practical than normal. In the hall beyond are many of the members of the Plume.

You can hear Calgar's booming voice orating to the crowd through the thick birch doors, and know that the time will soon be upon you to step through and join the vaunted Order Of The Shining Plume.

How do you feel? What are you doing?

OOC Thread
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-09-07 at 10:04 AM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Shining Plume [IC]

Arioch Tar-Valon, Champion of the Raven Queen
    AC: 21 | HP: 88 of 88
    Passive Perception: 15| Passive Insight: 11
    Active Effects: Giant Strength (21); Spell Storing (Cure Wounds (1st); Shadow Blade (2nd); Shadow Blade (2nd)
    Conditions: None.

Arioch stood surveying the crowd of servants, squires, and attendants, there to aid himself and his companions for the upcoming ceremony. He had been an aspirant for a number of years, serving the Order with diligence, dedication and determination. The Shining Plume would be a symbol of hope in these dark times, and he would be proud to bear it.

He had come to the Order, still bearing the great shame of his life, his failure to protect the Raven Queen's ancient relic, the Skull of Nerull, and it's capture by the Necromagii and his abominations. Calgar had been the first to call out the young knight on his depression, forcing him into the field over and over again, so Arioch could prove, not to Calgar, but to himself, that he was worthy of the mantle, and that a single failure did not define him. Despite his own misgivings about the event, Arioch respected Calgar enough, to to debate the fact with him, and given his callous demeanor, even the fact that he spoke to Arioch of such things, endeared him to the young aspirant knight.

He looked to his comrades, the other aspirants who had trained with him, who had been there in victory and defeat, and now, together they made their preparations so they could join the Order and have their names inducted upon the Accords, to be accepted as true Knights of the Shining Plume. He nodded to each of them in turn, "It has been an honor to serve with each of you, and I hope that after this, we can celebrate and enjoy the fruits of our labors for at least one night, before the burden of our duty, and the pledge we prepare to take rest fully on our shoulders."
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-09-05 at 04:42 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Kazumi is fidgeting in front of a stand mirror. Her deep scarlet tails are flitting up and down, as though the woman with the violet eyes is debating them. Then the tails disappear, and the woman once again looks into the mirror. She turns to the side, and the tails reappear. She turns her head and they vanish again. Then the mirror disappears. Her scarlet robes settle from the flitting they were doing with the tails appearing and disappearing. You call them robes. She calls it a kimono, a style of dress you have never heard of. An ornately elegant tree is embroidered on the back, with its branches reaching aound the fabric to the front, with pale pink blossoms 'falling' down the sleeves and along the hem. The robe is tied around her waist by a wide silk ribbon she calls an obi, that forms a large ornate bow at the small of her back, just above her tails, when she has them. The white fabric shines in the lights in the antechamber.

Duty should never interfere with having a good time. I cannot believe I have to say that to you again. Of course, what you consider to be a good time varies wildly from what I think when I say it. Her voice has a lilting quality that seems to put people at ease, relaxing them. From what you may have heard of legends surrounding her kind, it is not an accident she tends to relax people. It makes it easier for her to trick them with her illusions. It also makes you wonder why she is such a terrible liar.

What do you think? Her kimono flares again as her tails reappear. With the tails?

They vanish again. Or without?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

"Tails or no tails, you're about a hundred time lovelier than me. Granted, that's not saying much, but still." The speaker was a short, pudgy half-elf woman in navy blue armor, leaning on an ebony staff. While her clothes weren't as fine as Kazumi's, she was happy with her navy blue armor with golden trim. It was a big day, after all, and looking presentable was important in showing you understood the situation. She even went to the trouble of braiding her waist length hair, even though it inevitably broke free the second she used the staff.

To Arioch, Lily nodded back."I know how much of an honor is for me to be here, with people like you. With the mistakes I've made..." She glanced down at her left hand. Currently, it was covered by a glove, but everyone present knew about the brand underneath, that represented her pact and marked her as a Warlock.

Realizing she risked bringing down the mood, Lily brushed off her worries with a wave and a few decorative sparks for good measure. "But at least if I've found some lemons in my life, I hope I've made some damn fine lemonade.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Estralita View Post
    "Tails or no tails, you're about a hundred time lovelier than me. Granted, that's not saying much, but still." The speaker was a short, pudgy half-elf woman in navy blue armor, leaning on an ebony staff. While her clothes weren't as fine as Kazumi's, she was happy with her navy blue armor with golden trim. It was a big day, after all, and looking presentable was important in showing you understood the situation. She even went to the trouble of braiding her waist length hair, even though it inevitably broke free the second she used the staff.

To Arioch, Lily nodded back."I know how much of an honor is for me to be here, with people like you. With the mistakes I've made..." She glanced down at her left hand. Currently, it was covered by a glove, but everyone present knew about the brand underneath, that represented her pact and marked her as a Warlock.

Realizing she risked bringing down the mood, Lily brushed off her worries with a wave and a few decorative sparks for good measure. "But at least if I've found some lemons in my life, I hope I've made some damn fine lemonade.
    Aw, but sweetie, everyone makes mistakes. The curvy redhaired half elf, hugs the other half-elf.

What's important is you picked yourself up, and tried again! She beamed warmly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #6

The servant who's helping Kazumi smiles. "Keep the tails," he says. "You should be proud of who you are."

As the last few adjustments are made, you hear, faintly, "And now, we will welcome our newest members!" from beyond the door.

"That's your cue!" another servant says, and the doors open. You step through, to a cheering crowd, comprised of members of the Plume. You see friends and allies, compatriots who've stood beside you and aided you in your trials to reach this day. Not all of them stronger-many, in fact, weaker than you, even having served longer in the Plume.

Calgar is at the end of the hall, dressed in his blue-dyed armor, a big grin on his face. "Welcome, welcome!" he calls down the room as you walk forward. Set in front of him, on a short, solid wooden table, are four white plumes-one for each of you. As you reach it, he gestures for you to kneel. "If you will all quiet down a moment," he says with a chuckle, and the crowd does so, "I will speak a few words about our soon-to-be compatriots in arms."

"Arioch, the Returned. Devoted, day and night, to the good of the world, preventing the scourge of foul undead from blighting it further."
    "Kazumi, the Chosen of the Moon. An ancient protector of the natural world."
    "Lily, an aspiration for all to behold. Born common, without any grand destinies, she has forged her own path."
    "And Vivian, a Missionary of Love and Peace. Come from afar to help spread her messages."

"They have toiled hard for this opportunity, and we would be wise to honor them for that,"
    he says. "Take your Plume-feel its resonance in you."

You take your plume, and feel a faint jolt-harder than a tingle, but soft enough to avoid being painful. The plumes begin to glow, ever-so-slightly.

"Wear it with pride-you represent us all, and we represent you. We are honored to have you become part of our order."

The room explodes into applause, shouting and cheering along with the claps. Calgar gestures for you to stand and face them all. He says, barely audible over the cheers, "Congratulations. You've earned this."

Eventually, the cheering dies down, and servants begin to set up tables. As is customary (outside times of urgent need), the induction of new members is met with celebrations. Food and drink for all, and happy times. Soon, the room is reset, filled with tables for a feast. Everyone is mingling with each other.

As the music begins and you begin to settle into the celebration...

Spoiler: Kazumi
    Show
    Velguardr finds you, carrying a small bottle filled with red wine. "I'm glad this day has come, Kazumi. You will do us all proud. And, I confess, as a bit of selfishness, I wish to hear more of your early days. If what you were told was accurate-the whole 'sleep for a thousand years'-you were born a little before I was, and certainly before I had properly attuned myself to the world! But that will come with time. For now, a gift-Goodberry wine. It helps restore vigor, and is quite tasty!"

Spoiler: Goodberry Wine
    Show
    Acts as a potent healing potion, restoring 1 HP per proper gulp. Drinking is easy, only a bonus action, though administering to others in need takes a whole action.

It contains 20 gulps.

Spoiler: Arioch
    Show
    Calgar stands near you as the festivities begin. "Arioch, you know you'll need to stand as the shield of the group, right? They're... Well, I wouldn't call them 'fragile', but I'd certainly say you're made of sterner stuff than they are. It will be hard-you'll take blows meant for them, and they'll emerge unscathed from battles that will leave you scarred."

Spoiler: Lily
    Show
    As the party begins, you see Scribe approaching. "Congratulations!" she says. "I trust Calgar wasn't too verbose this time. He has a habit of running his mouth at honorifics like this. It's why Velguardr and I usually let him handle it-some people like the pomp and circumstance."

Spoiler: Vivian
    Show
    With the celebration starting, you hear a voice begin to sing, an enchanting melody that falls over the crowd. As you head for the source, almost without realizing, you see a friendly face-Merincess. A siren who has worked with the Plume for most of her life, she's the singer for this celebration, accompanied by a few instrumental musicians. She smiles as you approach, and when the instruments take over for a bit, she laughs a little at you. "I see my charm hasn't worn off yet for you!" she says.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Spoiler
    Show

"Oh Lady of Love, Merincess! Vivian glomped the siren in a shameless hug. It is so good to see you~ It's been too long~
    Last edited by Illven; 2020-09-07 at 10:14 PM.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

8. - Top - End - #8

Show
    She hugs back. "I'm glad you finally made it. It's rare that I've known someone being inducted, or for them to have been so nice to me," she says. "I mean, none of the other members are mean or anything, it's just... Sometimes a little chilly, you know?"

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah. Thank you for this, Kazumi says, as she accepts the wine. A restorative restorative never goes amiss.

The the request about her past.

As to if what he said was untrue, I can say that I doubt it. If he was not a man of his word, he would have killed me as I slept his little curse. And then there is the town that grew up around and out of my grove. Cities do not grow that large over even just a hundred years. No, I think he was telling the truth, though to be fair, I did not keep track of the years myself until after I had awakened and found myself thrown in with others. Marking the passage of time is still... odd to me. Beyond from sunrise to sunrise., anyway.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

10. - Top - End - #10

Spoiler
    Show

"But, how could anyone be chilly to you?" Vivian mewled.

11. - Top - End - #11

Spoiler: Kazumi
    Show
    "Oh, of course-but spells that last for that long tend to be a little imprecise," Velguardr says. "But enough of my curiosities-tell me. As you're now a full member of the Plume, what are your plans? Arioch has his goals, and Vivian has her mission. But you'd be best to work together, and come up with a goal you can all work towards. If you have need of any assistance finding places your powers would do good, you can, of course, come to any of us."

Show
    "I'm from a long line, you know that," she replies. "And most of them weren't the best people. Leading sailors to a watery tomb is generally frowned upon. I'm just glad that I have a chance to use my magic for happiness instead. Speaking of which..." she continues as the instruments grow a little quieter, "I should get back to doing just that! Once the celebrations die down and I'm not supposed to be singing, we'll talk again, okay?"

She steps back up to her platform and begins singing again, her voice an enchanting alto.

Spoiler: General OOC Note
    Show
    I'd like to get responses from Arioch and Lily before moving on, but just let me know in the OOC (or at the end of an IC post) when you're ready to move on.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don’t really have plans. My original purpose was to protect my grove. Without it, I have just been doing what I can to protect others from losing their homes, but I have not yet felt anything stirring within me, calling me to Higher purpose. Until I do, I will help our other colleagues however I can.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    As the party begins, you see Scribe approaching. "Congratulations!" she says. "I trust Calgar wasn't too verbose this time. He has a habit of running his mouth at honorifics like this. It's why Velguardr and I usually let him handle it-some people like the pomp and circumstance."
    "Well, I appreciated a little gilding. Sounds more impressive than getting drunk and stumbling into power. Although I think Old Lightning Bug deserves some credit for forging my destiny with me." Lily patted the top of her staff, which was fortunately behaving itself.

14. - Top - End - #14

Kazumi

Velguardr shrugs. Search for it. Find what makes you happy. Maybe plant a new grove.

Lily

Your staff emits a few sparks, but nothing dangerous, or prone to catching fire. Scribe laughs, and says Well, we all end up where we are on the backs of chance. No one is fully in control-it's how you response that makes you who you are.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Kazumi laughs politely.

I just get my Plume, and then you ask me to leave? Are you that desperate to get rid of me? The smile on her face confirms the tone of her voice. She is, of course, joking.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

16. - Top - End - #16

Velguardr seems, for a moment, genuinely hurt. Then he realizes you're kidding. "Oh! Yes, well, we likely won't be seeing much of one another much in the near future anyway. Scribe has been asking me to help her with something."

"And, well... Don't tell anyone, but she's asked me to not mention it to Calgar."
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-09-08 at 08:15 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Ohh... Gossip and intrigue, is it? Don’t worry, I won’t pry into it. Whatever it is, good luck.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Lily could only smile response. "Thank you. I promise to keep working towards a brighter future, then. "

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Active Effects: Giant Strength (21); Spell Storing (Cure Wounds (1st); Shadow Blade (2nd); Shadow Blade (2nd)

Quote Originally Posted by Calgar View Post
    "Arioch, you know you'll need to stand as the shield of the group, right? They're... Well, I wouldn't call them 'fragile', but I'd certainly say you're made of sterner stuff than they are. It will be hard-you'll take blows meant for them, and they'll emerge unscathed from battles that will leave you scarred."
    Arioch nodded, absently reaching out to grab a silver goblet filled with a spiced red wine, a grim smile spread across his pale face. "You know, full well, that I bear scars that would prove mortal wounds to lesser men." He sipped from the chalice, the warmth of the wine spreading down his throat and across his chest as he swallowed. "More than one earned in your training yards," he raised his chalice, "a strong teacher produces strong men. Let us hope that strength of arms is uneeded, and that strength of character can carry the day." A bitter smile, "Pray for peace, prepare for war."

20. - Top - End - #20

Arioch

"Wise words, from a wise man I'm sure," Calgar says, raising his own drink in turn.

Spoiler: OOC For All
    Show
    We good to move on? If so, I'll narrate the rest of the celebration as it goes up and then winds down, and we can move on to the morrow.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

The celebration winds on, with a lot of people getting pretty well plastered. Calgar, Scribe, and Velguardr make their exit relatively early on, leaving you to mingle with your comardes.

Around an hour before sunset, the party is basically over, with servants coming in to clean up. As new members of the Plume, you're expected to, in relatively short order, find a task for yourself outside of Bastion. Luckily, Bastion has vast reserves of information available to peruse to find a place that might need help, as well as your own goals.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #22

"Hey, Bastion. Anywhere experiencing something that could use one amazing missionary to solve their problems~ Vivian offers a large smile on her face.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Kazumi wonders for a moment if Vivian calling on the information inside the Bastion will cause it to magically appear. But then her violet eyes sparkle with the mischievous grin that steals across her face.

One of her tails flits in what looks like an unconscious gesture, and then a deep voice echoes in the room.

Of course. There always is. But I am just a place. Filled with people who would happy to help you find somewhere to put your cute butt to work.

Kazumi snorts a little laugh as she finishes “Bastion” speaking.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

24. - Top - End - #24

Sorry guys and gals, the citadel only wants me working. So you catch a five~ She grins clearly teasing, as she starts looking for a job board, or help desk.

25. - Top - End - #25

You head in the direction of the divination wing-Bastion has a small force of diviners, prophets, mystics, and others who can ascertain information from a distance.

While not allowed into the centermost areas of it, due to the delicate instruments and precise magical layouts, you find Cily, a halfling woman who collates the reports and helps figure out what information is good and what's unreliable. "Evening, you all," she says when you approach her desk. "How can I be of service, to our newest members?"

When you tell her that you're looking for your first tasks as members of the Plume, she nods. "Alright, let me check what'd be something appropriate for skills of your caliber..."

She begins to thumb through various pages, discarding most while muttering "Not important enough... No, we can send someone else... Hm... Ah-ha!" she finally lets out. "Northern reaches-we've got an incursion of frostbound fiends, supposedly. Information isn't completely reliable-it's foresight, not clairvoyance-but even if they don't show, I'm sure you can be of some assistance. I believe the nearest teleportation circle we have is about a week from the village nearest the suspected incursion point." She searches her desk for a map, and confirms that. "Yes-well, more like six days, if I'm remembering my distances right."

Looking at the map, it appears that you'll be dealing with a lot of mountainous terrain-if you'll take a mount, you'll need to pick one with very sure feet, rather than a simple horse. (Or one that can fly.)

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Arioch followed his peers, try as he might, he had failed to discover the location of the Nerull's Skull, nor the use that the Necromagii intended for the most holy of the Raven Queen's relics. However, he was now surrounded by companions, arcane might, cunning, and guile that would complement his own prowess, if he could impress upon them, the importance of the relic's recovery he could deny the Raven Queen's nemesis of the Skull, thereby saving the relic and preventing the corruption associated with it.

Listening to the Diviner's words, he understood that his obsession with his personal quest should not be allowed to overshadow the suffering of those far flung communities that suffered under the oppression of frost fiends and worse. "Well then, it appears that we must spread the light of the Shining Plume, to even the far northern reaches. If we've access to a teleportation circle that can bring us closer to the troubled region, we have only to secure our kit, ensure we have clothing appropriate to the weather, and meet at the ritual chambers."

He turned to his companions seeking confirmation.

27. - Top - End - #27

"Ooo. we should also get cold weather mounts? Do you know where we can get some?" Vivian asks Cily

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

It looks like we have shopping to do, Kazumi said, a bit more glumly than she would have liked. Clothes shopping was tedious for her because of the difficulty in finding something accommodating of her tails.

Can I have the sigil sequence for the destination? I will be able to cast the circle after we are done shopping.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

29. - Top - End - #29

"Of course. Let me check my files..." Cily says, rummaging around in her desk. After a minute or two of searching, she says "I don't seem to have it. I'll find it, though, and have someone bring it to you once you're done acquiring your gear, alright?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You won't be shopping, actually. As a member of the Plume, here in Bastion, you just requisition gear. Some tailoring will be needed for Kazumi, but it shouldn't be too much of a hard experience.

Just go ahead and make a list of gear you want, and I'll let you know what you're able to get.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

That will do nicely.

Kazumi then turns and as she does, her form shifts slightly, and two fox ears appear on the top of her head, and her tails reappear again.

Well. Time to go get outfitted for cold weather with something that will accommodate my body. I do have a feeling my poor tails are going to spend a lot of time freezing.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!