Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 - Interest Check - Earn 500k gold | Thieves, Assassins, or Bounty Hunters

Quote Originally Posted by redfeline View Post
    Okay so I think I finally have an interesting character build, long term goal is bear warrior from the CW. However to mimic that at the current level I am going shapeshifter druid from PH2 with the flavor being a bear and not wolf / panther. I also taking warshaper at level 4 and plan to be a changeling, assuming that is alright with you MCollarsen. If not I would try and take it at level 5. It will slow my progress to bear warrior.

As for vice I want to go into an unusual direction, I want my expensive vice to be paying a hostage fee or kidnapper to protect my character's child or some variation on this theme. Likely related to the character being a changeling. I may also take a smaller less expensive vice to go with the more backstory centric one above.

Let me know if you need me to adjust any of this.

edit:

As a changeling which are a cross between humans and doppelganger can I take the able learner feat that requires being either a human or doppelganger.
    Was all of this fine with you dm? I am assuming so since you referenced the vice as a possibility

edit: Although I would still like a yes or no on the bold part.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2020-09-17 at 09:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Re: 3.5 - Interest Check - Earn 500k gold | Thieves, Assassins, or Bounty Hunters

Quote Originally Posted by MCollarsen View Post
    That's fine - I'd spin it to a preference to certain organs based on die rolls and the desire/preference for freshness and the ability to acquire and consume without raising suspicion. - As for dark eh, I'm fine with a lot, its RP and is with evil assassins so I yeah I figured we'd be there at some point.
    Sounds cool :p do you have an idea how to do this?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Also, I want to stress that the Lady's trauma is dealing with her parents' violent murders and surviving her own attempted murder -- I'm not gonna elaborate further with more horrible Real World implications.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    How's this for a vice?

Somewhere within Vibax's lineage, a pact was created between his lineage and Verebaz. As a result, in order to maintain the powers he is granted by Verebaz, members of his lineage are required to make regular ritual offerings to Verebaz.

These offerings must be given in a specific ceremony that can be performed in a temple of Verebaz or in a special chamber in Vibax's ancestral home (which is often used by a select cabal of Verebaz worshipers headed by Vibax's parents).

The true consequences for forsaking the ritual offerings are held in secret (it's possible even that there are none). Vibax fervently believes his god-granted powers would be taken away and he would be excommunicated from his family and condemned to a less than favorable afterlife under Verebaz's dominion.

Acceptable offerings include gold pieces, magical items, or even darker things like living sacrifices. Vibax is required to perform two offerings per lunar cycle (unless the lunar cycle is radically different in the setting, then we can adjust it). The offerings are supposed to be completed under the new moon and the full moon.

Since Verebaz isn't Lawful, the times are approximate and missing one or two sacrifices due to circumstances like traveling without access to a ritual chamber aren't going cause immediate consequences, but should be made up for by an increase in a future offering.
    I quite like the forethought put into this for Vibax, and yes I'm totally fine with it being a variety of things instead of a singular "sacrifice".

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Spoiler: Proposed Vice for Lady Winterhawk
    Show

Given the trauma she suffered when younger (and, given that PTSD therapy isn't a "thing" in most fantasy games ;)), the Lady's coin would go towards keeping her nightmares and bad dreams at bay when she sleeps. It's not that she needs sedatives -- if anything, being stuck in sleep while having nightmares would probably be just as bad as insomnia. She wants peaceful sleep.
    Hmm... interesting way to go... I think (mind you this is just an idea) I'd go with a potion route or something similar that induces a magical sleep that shouldn't render dreams to the user. I'll fine tune my ideas for everyone's presented "Vice" and let us confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by redfeline View Post
    Was all of this fine with you dm? I am assuming so since you referenced the vice as a possibility

edit: Although I would still like a yes or no on the bold part.
    In general yes I'm fine with all this, I especially like the progress to bear warrior, one of my favorite classes, but it tends to get overshadowed by others. Only issue is - While I don't mind you being a changeling and taking the able learner feat. I'd prefer you not be able to use the changeling's Minor shape change ability in conjunction with the war shaper abilities. I'm perfectly fine with with warshaper via the druid shapeshift feature you were already going with. I just think that the inherent abilities warshaper grants (or would grant) if the changeling ability qualified would be to OP.

Let me know if this is causes your build excessive grief.

Quote Originally Posted by NiKkatsu View Post
    Sounds cool :p do you have an idea how to do this?
    I do and will post a larger update shortly - see below.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Also, I want to stress that the Lady's trauma is dealing with her parents' violent murders and surviving her own attempted murder -- I'm not gonna elaborate further with more horrible Real World implications.
    Understood - while I'm fine with said real world implications being used/occuring. I get that it is overly used in terms of female characters and that other aspects exist.
    Odd question would you like for your character to have the chance at recovering from her trauma as part of her vice? Or simply living without it affecting her guild work?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Odd question would you like for your character to have the chance at recovering from her trauma as part of her vice? Or simply living without it affecting her guild work?
    I would, actually! And, if vengeance happens to help that along...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you for the reply, I don't think think giving up warshaper isbmuch of a problem. I may miss some roleplaying options, like summoning claws during an intimidation check. However that is a really minor thing.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Alright folks - I've got a brief summary of everyone whose expressed recent interest, and who've submitted characters. If either or both of the remaining 2 have their characters done by End of Week we can plan on starting next Monday or sooner as things develop. - Please review below and let me know if you see any major (or minor) issues or misinterptations.

Player Character Mythweavers? Build Vice Backstory Notes
    Samduke Dawn Quixote Yes Rogue with Extras Unknown - Parents? Partial need to develop/discuss a vice & clarify backstory (in accordance with vice)
    NiKkatsu Haram Al'Azaar Yes Demonic Divine Rogue Flesh Consumption - Details to be finalized Sufficient - DM to discuss to finalize None
    Aegis013 Vibax the Whisperer Yes Mystic Warrior & Poisons Flesh consumption - details to be finalized Sufficient - DM to discuss to finalize None
    Cygnia Lady Winterhawk Yes Battle Rogue Traumatic Coping & Recovery Complete None
    Redfeline N/A No Druid/shifter None N/A Do you need anything from me to finish?
    None No No Glaive Warlock?? No No Do you need anything, are you still interested?

Spoiler: Map & Details
    Show

The guild is based in Mournstead, Augren is the capital, other cities are listed in red, while landmarks are blue. The little "trapezoids" are cross road checkpoints, they don't slow you down while "fast traveling" but are points where if you noteriety gets to high you'll be recognized - generally unfavorable circumstances.

Methods of transport include: Foot traffic - wagon (oxen) - Carriage (Horses) - Horseback - River Barge - Sailing ship - Airship - Magical. Prices vary and will be listed later. I'll also add distances from X to Y.
    A reminder that food (including for personal mounts), the ability to sleep comfortably and such will play a role - unless everyone spends money so that they are sufficient in which case it won't be micro-managed. This should truly only be an issue in the eastern sections where you are in the desert, (as competent people can hunt and use survival).
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2020-09-21 at 11:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry, here is a link to the character, definitely a work in progress.

I do not believe I need any other approvals at this time.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vibax's vice appears to be duplicated from another character's, rather than the proposed vice, otherwise no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

I guess dawns Vice would be hostage payments to unknown creatures at place per x time frame or something

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    I guess dawns Vice would be hostage payments to unknown creatures at place per x time frame or something
    High didn't notice vice colum, but hostage payment was my pitch. Not that I can't share. I mean haley in gitp had to do it so I can't even claim it is novel.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hope it isn't too late to post my interest!

I'd be looking to play some form of necromancer. Possibly linked to the desert in the awesome map you linked. I just have to decide which of the two prestige classes that I love and have so much flavour attached to inform the character to pick: Walker in the Waste, or Master of Shrouds.

Either way, had the amusing idea of the vice being some (possibly misguided) cause where they use the guild themselves to arrange for the death of those they see as being in a conspiratorial cult to ruin the world. Whether that assumption is correct or not could be very interesting.

If I'm too late, no worries and happy gaming

13. - Top - End - #73

Applying a bit late, as an Alternate if need be!

Zephyr is a battle-dancer, 100% focused on fluid martial skill and movement with Whirling Frenzy, attack evasion, and martial maneuvers.

She's aiming for Master of Nine (with all of the sub-par annoyances that entails) so she may be a little low-power with no spells, no decent feat selection, and a fairly MAD build, but she can handle battlefield control and set up flanking for the party. She can semi-tank, soaking up damage despite her frail form via AC, DR, and in-combat healing.

Besides that, she's got a bouncy and playful personality, and is a boisterous drinker, drug user, and pleasure seeker that can't seem to say no to a good time. (She does have max Hide/Move Silently, so she won't ruin your sneak missions!) Her main goals are to accrue enough wealth to live in luxury, and to continually test her combat skills against worthy opponents, for the thrill.

Zephyrinque Sanayd (link)
    Female CE Fey Warblade / Swordsage || Rogue / Monk / Barb
    Level 5, Init 9, HP 35/35, DR 3 / Cold Iron, Speed 50'
    AC 19, Touch 18, Flat-footed 15
    Fort 6, Ref 15, Will 10, BAB 5
    Living +1 Guisarme +9 (2d4+4, 20/x3)
    Unarmed Strike +8 (1d8+2, 20/x2)
    Poisoned(?) Throwing Knife (x5) +10 (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
    +1 Bracers of Armor (+1 Armor, +4 Dex, +4 AC Bonus)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 10
    Skills Jump +20, Tumble +14, Hide/Move Silently +12, Spot/Listen +11, Craft(Poison) +11, Intimidate +10

Spoiler: Build Pieces
    Show
    Feytouched (LA 0) from Savage Progressions
    Martial Rogue for two Fighter feats
    Martial Monk for two Fighter Feats (Improved Trip and Elusive Target w/o prereqs)
    Chaotic Monk (Chaos alignment)
    Raging Monk (Whirling Frenzy)
    Invisible Fist Monk (Limited Invisibility)
    Unarmed Swordsage (Monk Progression)
    Barbarian UA ACFs (Monk Progression)
    Dragon Barbarian (Blind-Fight w/o prereqs)
    Mimic Rogue (Disguise Self 1/day, Fae glamer to escape after assassination)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2308286 putting this together almost done.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

15. - Top - End - #75

OrcBarbarianGuy

I thought LA applied to both sides of the Gestalt?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan View Post
    I thought LA applied to both sides of the Gestalt?
    with gestalt ( Each time you gains a new level, you choos two classes & take the best aspects of each, and apply them to your characteristics. Class features that two classes share (such as uncanny dodge) accrue at the rate of the faster class )

as for how RHD & LA interacts with Gestalt and for that you need to remember that you are running effectively a character with in this case 5 levels of side A and 5 levels of side B - some Gms will insist that all RHD and then LA come from 1 of the sides. some will allow from both sides
    IE
    1 RHD // LA -> 1 RHD // class a
    2 class a // class b -> 2 LA // class b

as you can see the result is not the same, and you would replace LA for RHD if no RHD are in use.
    in this game the GM has allowed for LA buy back by having bonus EXP this allows for exactly 1 LA without level loss and so in the above it would just be class // class for +1 LA or less, for anything further you would either ake the level loss for la buy back OR need to reflect the LA as above.

I hope that helps some

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    in this game the GM has allowed for LA buy back by having bonus EXP this allows for exactly 1 LA without level loss and so in the above it would just be class // class for +1 LA or less, for anything further you would either ake the level loss for la buy back OR need to reflect the LA as above.
    Are you sure the DM is allowing LA buyback? All I've seen on it is in the Big 16:

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Originally I said 3, but we'll go with 5 (levels 1-5 are gestalt).
    Levels 6 and beyond will be single tiered.

No LA buyoff - any racial LA must occur as early as possible.
    If there is LA Buyback, I might be interested in buying the full Immunity to Mind Effecting and +2 to Hide/Move Silently...

Though, I'm already imagining her mostly partying with her targets and slipping ingested poisons in their drinks! Who needs to sneak when you can just kick in the door with a handful of drugs and party them to death?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ripptor View Post
    Are you sure the DM is allowing LA buyback? All I've seen on it is in the Big 16:

If there is LA Buyback, I might be interested in buying the full Immunity to Mind Effecting and +2 to Hide/Move Silently...

Though, I'm already imagining her mostly partying with her targets and slipping ingested poisons in their drinks! Who needs to sneak when you can just kick in the door with a handful of drugs and party them to death?
    Unless I've got my wires crossed on its definition - there is no LA buyback/off

The gestalt leveling method that I've used of Class 1\\Class 2 - is one where a LA can replace "Class 2" with all statistical values being set to 0, hence defaulting to the class 1 stat values.

RHD if needed/used would also replace Class 2 and would then be followed by LA, I don't recall seeing to many folks using it but I haven't reviewed the last 2 character sheets in depth yet. (Sorry Real world picked up a bit this week) but I'll get my gears in order this evening.

If a build was say a werewolf (natural) the leveling should look similar to the following.

Class 1 \\ RHD (1 of 2)
    Class 1 \\ RHD (2 of 2)
    Class 1 \\ LA (1 of 3)
    Class 1 \\ LA (2 of 3)
    Class 1 \\ LA (3 of 3)

if for whatever reason the individual wanted a half dragon werewolf - (can't recall if you can template stack these at the moment) but its an example
    they COULD put the half dragon LA (3) on the class 1 side in order to begin play with all the benefits. resulting in....

LA (1 of 3) \\ RHD (1 of 2)
    LA (2 of 3) \\ RHD (2 of 2)
    LA (3 of 3) \\ LA (1 of 3)
    Class 1 \\ LA (2 of 3)
    Class 1 \\ LA (3 of 3)

This would result in a build of only 4 HD (2 RHD and 2 from class 1), but the individual would have the full templates of each option plus 2 class levels.

Does this resolve all questions pertaining to LA?

Check back later this evening / or early tomorrow depending on you sleep schedule and I should have information about towns, distances, more world info and final details regarding vices (per my understanding & clarification for the player)

Thanks All.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Unless I've got my wires crossed on its definition - there is no LA buyback/off.
    no actually that is my bad for crossing games up.

20. - Top - End - #80

The Tree of Names looks like the right place for Zeph to have been snatched from, deep forest and far away!

Spoiler: VICE: Drug Options (Zeph and Winterhawk)
    Show
    Since we're Drug Buddies () I figured I could list out what I found for Winterhawk as well while I made my own little list! These can be spruced up / modified into something more interesting, but there is a good baseline here

Drug Suggestions, for Winterhawk:

Arthorvin (5GP)
    A fragrant gray powder made from rare magical plants, the drug called arthorvin is an appropriate alchemical treatment for anxiety, mood disorders, and dissociative disorders.
    Initial Effect: 1 point of Charisma damage.
    Secondary Effect: The user is in a calm, peaceful mental state for 2d4 hours and gains a +1 alchemical bonus on Will saves.
    Side Effect: Arthorvin causes a general dulling of the imbiberís emotions and reactions. While the drug is in effect, the user takes a -1 penalty on all initiative checks.

Carthagu (5GP)
    Carthagu is a thin green tea served warm. It is an appropriate alchemical treatment for impulse control problems, eating disorders, and sleep disorders.
    Initial Effect:2 points of Strength damage.
    Secondary Effect: Carthagu soothes a wide range of mental disorders, providing relief from the symptoms of the indicated disorders for up to 8 hours.
    Side Effect: None.

Mertoran Leaf (10GP)
    When mertoran leaf is dried, treated, and chewed, it provides appropriate alchemical treatment for personality disorders, and substance abuse disorders.
    Initial Effect:1 point of Dexterity damage.
    Secondary Effect: The user becomes more confident, gaining a +2 alchemical bonus to Charisma for 1 hour.
    Side Effect: While the drug is in effect and for 12 hours thereafter, mertoran leaf relieves the most severe symptoms of the listed disorders.
    Overdose: None.

Zixalix (15GP)
    A potent combination of many rare herbs and alchemical substances, zixalix provides appropriate alchemical treatment for somatoform disorders, psychotic disorders (including schizophrenia), and psychosexual disorders.
    Initial Effect: 1d4 points of Intelligence damage.
    Secondary Effect: Zixalix staves off the most severe symptoms of the indicated disorders.
    Side Effect: None.
    Overdose:If more than three doses are taken in a 24-hour period, the imbiber takes 1d4 points of Constitution damage.

Party Drugs, for Zeph:

Pappy's Peppy Powder (10GP)
    This fine white powder comes sealed in a coin sized parchment envelope, it's ingredients are a closely guarded secret.
    Male only, long lasting. Good for sharing!

Sannish (15GP)
    A bluish liquid distilled from the milk of wolves and a powdered desert plant. Sannish is known to cause a pleasant state of euphoria, which, along with its relatively cheap price, makes it rather popular. Addicts are easily spotted by the permanent blue stains on their lips.
    Initial Effect: 1 point of Wisdom damage.
    Secondary Effect: The user becomes numbed to pain for 1d4 hours, and is immune to pain-induced penalties (such as from a symbol of pain spell).
    Side Effects: While the drug is in effect, the user takes a -2 penalty on all initiative checks.
    Overdose: A second dose taken while the first is still in effect causes a numbing stupor for 2d4 hours. Until this stupor wears off, the user can only take partial actions.
    Euphoria is a big sell, as well as pain numbing!

Vodare (40 GP)
    An extremely bitter brown powder, Vodare is usually mixed with honeyed water or sweet wine to dilute its awful taste. It is made from the crushed petals of the vodare flower, which grows only on the graves or places of death of those who devoted their lives to the goddess Frenzy. It creates a sense of mild euphoria and fierce confidence in those who ingest it.
    Initial Effect: +2 alchemical bonus on Intimidate checks and saving throws against fear effects for 1d4 hours.
    Secondary Effect: -4 alchemical penalty on Diplomacy and Bluff checks for 2d4 hours.
    Side Effects: None besides the mild euphoria and fierce confidence, which may lead users to more extreme, foolhardy actions than normal.
    Overdose: If more than one dose is taken in a 4-hour period, the user becomes catatonic unless a DC 15 Fort save is made.
    Euphoria again, but this time with overconfidence and extreme behavior! Expensive, though...

I'm sure there's a lot more out there, but I'll have to search more splats! The Brandy made from dying faeries is going too far for her, though... What kind of Fae would drink that??

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Alright everyone here is the OOC link.

IC to follow once everyone has gotten their details (see OOC posted) and adds any minor elements to their character sheets (you know who you are).

I'm adding plot elements to the first two posts on that page - question & DM as necessary. Sometimes transferring details from my notes to forum posts takes a minute as I have to re type for formats sake.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Alright everyone here is the OOC link.

IC to follow once everyone has gotten their details (see OOC posted) and adds any minor elements to their character sheets (you know who you are).

I'm adding plot elements to the first two posts on that page - question & DM as necessary. Sometimes transferring details from my notes to forum posts takes a minute as I have to re type for formats sake.
    does that mean everyone is in?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

This also caught me off guard