New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [IC] Dangerous Designs [Wildemount 5e]

It's the 1st of Fessuran, the 8th month in the Exandrian calendar. The Harvest's Close festival begins in two days, where people all across Wynandir celebrate a season of growing and mark the turning of the seasons. It has been a long and surprisingly hot summer, with all of the tension and rashness that being stuck in the heat brings. This aside, it has been a productive growing season, and winter stores across the Dwendalian Empire are well stocked for winter, and beyond.

The heat of the summer has not been productive for relationships between the Empire and the Kryn Dynasty. Various skirmishes on both sides of the Brokenveil Bluffs have broken out, although none have led to all out war. The industrial machinery of Hupperdook has been in high gear, cranking out weapons, siege equipment, and implements of war to be used on the frontier that is not so far away. Perhaps, with winter coming, tensions will simmer down, but time will tell.

The sun has finally set over Hupperdook. The winches of the lifts going to Upper Hupperdook begin to groan and shift with the weight of the city's denizens. In the process of rushing home to prepare for their nightly revelries, the streets of Lower Hupperdook are left in a quiet stillness.

Elihani, as the lift you are on arrives at the lower part of the city, you barely have time to disembark before a flood of grimy machinists and cheerful manufacturers rushes into the space you just vacated. You are one of the few people going against the tide here, aside from a pair of Dwendalian Crownsguard and a group of gnomes in heavy cloaks, with their faces obscured by hoods. All three groups go their separate ways, and you hurry to your destination- the Sharpshield Tavern, where you are meeting someone on behalf of your patron. You're not sure what Lilla is planning to do with this knight, whoever he is, but she asked you to bring them to Upper Hupperdook and give them lodging that she has arranged in the Idleworks Shelf.

Lilly and Liorel, you are a few rounds into your weekly card game at the Sharpshield Tavern. These games are manifold in their purpose, besides a good time between friends. The tavern is a place where Lilly can keep an eye out for truant gamblers and debtors trying to lay low. Liorel, although the fast-paced life in Hupperdook is a pleasure to watch and partake in, you also value having a few nights where you get to take things at your own pace. Both of you enjoy the experience of seeing new people come to town.
    Tonight, one of those new people is a knight who has walked into the tavern with a squire in tow.

Cedric, it’s been a long day on the road, but you have finally reached your destination. The mountains of the Silberquel Ridge cast an intimidating shadow over you and your squire as you make your way towards the tavern where you are to meet your patron and host, Lilla Farriver. You left Genevieve and Uriah, along with the horses your father rented for the journey, at a boarding house near the edge of town. Walking through the quiet streets of Hupperdook, you watch lifts climbing the cliffs at the edge of town and see lights beginning to flicker on in the upper half of the city. Turning the corner, you see a sign with a pointed shield- you've arrived at the Sharpshield Tavern.

Richter, you have been watching the evening play out. It's a slow night so far, not many of the usual regulars you would chat with have taken their places at the bar. You see the halfling and half-elf beginning their weekly card game at one of the tables in the back, if the evening stays slow perhaps you'll join them for a hand or two. Behind you, you hear a sigh, and glance over from your position at the end of the bar to look at Nola, the dark-skinned human who is a co-owner of the Sharpshield Tavern. "If the whole night is going to be this quiet, you're welcome to retire early. Maybe even take an evening to see what the gnomes up there are up to," she says to you, with a nod towards Upper Hupperdook. However, it's not long before the tavern gets some traffic, in the form of a knight, followed by a gnome that you find familiar...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Looking forward to playing with everyone! Let me know if any of these introductions strike you as wrong or if I missed any details, I'd be happy to adjust as needed.

To be clear on the timeline: Richter, Lilly and Liorel are at the tavern already. They watch as Cedric arrives and, within the next 5 minutes, Elihani arrives as well.

Spoiler: Hupperdook
    Show
    I'll post some basic info about Hupperdook, as well as a link to the "Fandom" article about the city. (Reading that is not necessary, but it can give you slightly more detailed info than what I posted below.)

Spoiler: Lore dump
    Show
    Like the Fandom article says, Hupperdook is ~75% gnomes, and is a city with a very "work hard, play hard" attitude. The city's role in the Dwendalian Empire has made it a center of technology and tinkering for the past 200-odd years. The city, which predates the Empire, was convinced to join through diplomatic agreements that benefited both the native gnomes and the ambitious humans.

Today, Hupperdook is an industrial powerhouse. It's location at the base of the Silberquel Ridge gives it access to a wide variety of natural resources, such as coal, ores, and fine metals. As a result of their technological aid, the town is not subject to the strict regulations that many of the other Imperial cities are, and citizens are generally given more leeway in terms of self-governance; they are allowed to choose their own Starosta (mayor), and the Crownsguard (police) presence is relatively light for a city of that size.

As part of the Dwendalian Empire's desire for expansion, much of Hupperdook's industry is turned towards the manufacture and invention of siege equipment and other machines of war. It is here that the technology of hand-held gunpowder weapons is being developed and perfected, inspired by similar work on the neighboring continent of Tal'Dorei.

Spoiler: Districts of the city
    Show
    Hupperdook has some clearly divided districts. When you approach the city, you can see that a large part of the city sits about 200 feet up, on a platform of stone that stretches out from the mountain, with a sheer cliff face that stretches down to the ground. Outside the walls is fallow ground that is used for farming. It is mostly worked by humans who live on the outskirt (but within the walls) of Lower Hupperdook.

The lower tier of the city, surrounded by walls, is a place of heavy industry, both mining and construction. There is also weapons testing. (This is pretty well covered in the Fandom article, but I can go into more detail if you like.) At the base of the mountain lie vaults, mines, and access to the underground, as well as a winched elevator system that allows rapid travel to Upper Hupperdook. (There are stairs as well, but they are steep and switchbacked, and not fenced off.)

The upper tier of Hupperdook is split into two regions. Silver Falls Grove surrounds a small lake that is fed by the massive Silver Falls. This is the largest residential area of Hupperdook, and features tall, thin metallic buildings, stretching 3-4 stories tall. The other part of this tier is the Idleworks Shelf, which is the home to most of the city's amenities and commerce.

Spoiler: Setting info
    Show

Spoiler: Calendar
    Show
    Month Days Holidays
    Horisal 29 New Dawn (1st) {Avandra's holy day}, Hillsgold (27th)
    Misuthar 30 Day of Challenging (7th) {Kord's holy day}
    Dualahei 30 Renewal Festival (13th),
    Wild’s Grandeur (20th) {Melora's holy day}
    Thunsheer 31 Harvest’s Rise (11th),
    Merryfrond’s Day (31st)
    Unndilar 28 Deep Solace (8th) {Moradin's holy day}, Zenith (26th)
    Brussendar 31 Artisan’s Faire (15th),
    Elvendawn (20th) {Corellon's holy day}
    Sydenstar 32 Highsummer (7th) {Pelor's holy day},
    Morn of Largesse (14th)
    Fessuran 29 Harvest’s Close (3rd)
    Quen’pillar 27 Hazel Festival (10th),
    Civilization’s Dawn (22nd) {Erathis's holy day}
    Cuersaar 29 Night of Ascension (13th) {The Raven Queen's holy day}
    Duscar 32 Barren Eve (2nd),
    Embertide (5th) {Bahamut's holy day}

The seven days of the week are Miresen, Grissen, Whelsen, Conthsen, Folsen, Yulisen, and Da’leysen. (I don't plan on using these, but they're here if you need them.)
    My avatar is by Kari Avalon, aka @evatrice on twitter!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Dangerous Designs [Wildemount 5e]

Richter Stanislav, Dwendalian deserter
    AC: 14 | HP: 10 of 10
    Passive Perception: 16 | Passive Insight: 12
    Conditions: None.

Richter scanned the crowd, a calloused hand brought a hand rolled cigarillo to his lips, it flared brightly as he inhaled. He held the acrid smoke, feeling that bright spot on the back of his throat, his chest tightened, he slowly exhaled, the pungent tobacco smoke wreathing his weathered face. He turned towards Nola, his rough, scowling face appraising her, "You always been fair with me, ma'am. Even if I take in a game a cards with these folks, I don't mean to abandon my post, and if there's trouble, I'll handle it for it gets outta hand."

He'd been watching the two playing Ord's Gambit, the taller one, Liorel, if he recalled correctly, worked with the proprietor of the Raven's Quill, that gnome. Quilien? With a shrug, he leaned back against the bar, "Nola, few shots of whiskey for Liorel and his friend if ya don't mind. I'll settle 'fore you close the ...," his voice trailed off as he watched the borad shouldered, scarred man walk into the bar, wearing the Bodhran Coat of Arms, accompanied by a young woman, Richter immediately followed their movement through the establishment, tracking trouble.

"$@!#, sorry, ma'am. Looks like I may be needin' one o' those shots myself."
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-08-12 at 06:19 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Elihani arrives, wearing his long coat and hat, his traveling satchel on his back. He knew of the establishment, and was eager to meet his patron to see why this meeting was called. He doffs his cap at the door and walks towards the table he was supposed to go to. “Hello...I’m Elihiani Quillien. Bookseller, by profession.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Dropping her cards with a flourish, Lilly smiles brilliantly and says, “And that is how you do that.”

Whatever “that” was. She’d actually stopped paying attention when the hand first looked disappointing, and was now just posturing. She sips at the bitter – which is tasty – but still frowns at the image of her whole face disappearing in the oversized mug. “Just how in the hell, do you think, did I end up with the only pint in this place. This town is gnome central and somehow I end up looking like I’m drinking from a bucket. I tell you, Larry, the fates are unnecessarily cruel to a woman’s dignity. A man will be praised for guzzling liquor from a trough, but me? I’m dainty. Dainty! No matter what I do. No reputation for Lilly Summerfield will ever make the world’s blackguards’ knees shake.

“I’m cursed by my form. It’s really unfair.”

Never mind that said form is quite attractive, and never mind her lamentation of the previous week was entirely to the contrary. Then it had been, “I really don’t know why I waste my time in sweaty, stinking hovels looking for desperate people to beat up when I should really retire to luxury as a professional muse. There must be some artist’s guild or lonely noble just waiting to admire the perfect female form.”

Liorel had seen this enough times since they met to disregard the authenticity of Lilly’s introspection. When there's no conversation ongoing, she sort of rambles, trying on arguments the way other people try on hats; just to see what fits her mood.

“But I gotta say this is one of the better bitters I’ve had. Heh. Better bitters. Oh, that needs something else … imbibed! Better bitters I’ve imbibed. [titters] And how’s your week been?”

The newcomers eventually garner her attention.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thumbs up Re: [IC] Dangerous Designs [Wildemount 5e]

Liorel grins, exchanging cards in his sleeves while his friend looks around the room.
    "Oh, I know, it's terrible. None of the other women here like to drink, or spend any time with a good book. At least you look great with a pint. Well, look there! You win again."
    When they were sober, both Lilly and Larry actually tried to win, and caught each other cheating constantly. When they'd had a few drinks, it invariably flipped into a game to see how much they could make up for each others' losses earlier in the night -- they usually left carrying the same coin they entered with.
    Shoving the bets towards the halfling, he picks up a half-empty craft pitcher, toppling the deck. "Oops, looks like the game's over... Hey I forgot, do you prefer peppermint or apple butter from the Blushing Tankard? I'm thinking of getting you something special for the celebrations tonight. You deserve it, helping me organize all my notes this week. Erm."
    Realizing he was rambling like his compatriot, he set his pitcher back down instead of filling his mug, and proceeds to collect the cards. "Next week I'll get you to fold, you just watch."
    At this time, Lilly is perfectly aware that Larry doesn't give out presents much, and he's got a glint in his eye. Either he's more tipsy than he looks (probably not), or he's about to get them both into trouble.
    After all, homemade apple butter ale isn't cheap, and the bookworm makes just enough money to live on.
    Before he can explain his idea for a little heist, the stranger catches his eye.
    "I dare you to bat your eyelashes at him. If you can get something impolite out of him, I'll give you two silver."
    Last edited by HelixIconix; 2020-08-11 at 01:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Richter nodded his thanks at Nola, offering the dark skinned beauty an honest smile. Then, holdin the three glasses in one hand, he walked past the stranger, his right hand lowering the brim of his felt and leather hat. He deftly walked the room, avoiding tables, chairs, and unobservant patrons, then, with his right hand he grabbed the back of the third chair at the Half Elf's and Halfling's table, spining it around and straddling the seat, leaning forward against the back of the chair, he slapped the three glasses on the table.

"Liorel," he nodded, touching the brim of his hat, then, looking to Lilly, "Ma'am," his voice was low and gravelly, the cigarillo dangled precariously from the corner of his mouth. "Whiskey, neat. A shot glass don't look nearly as cumbersome in a lady's hand, but the whiskey? The fire it'll put in yer belly is enough to make up for the taste. Careful though, it's a bastard the next mornin'." A little chuckle as he remembered a few mornings like that.

"'scuse me, I been rude. Name's Richter, been travellin' some, twix here and there. Find myself here for the time bein', couldn't help but notice y'all playin' a hand o' Ord's Gambit. I seem ta remember a few nights clustered round the campfires in Brokenveil, cursin' the cards and my luck in equal portion." A far away look in his eyes, "Got me waxin' nostalgic, mind if a stranger buys in fer a hand or two?"

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: Pulled from Critical Roll, the rules for Gambit of Ord are simple. Each player buys in, I propose the ante starts at 5sp, since we're 1st level and nobody is particularly loaded, heh. Each player draws a card, rolling a D8 in a spoiler tag. Then after the 1st round, you can raise, call, or fold. Then a second card is dealt, each player rolls a D6 in spoilers, another betting round, to raise, call, or fold. Then a final card is dealt, roll a D4 in spoilers. At that point, cards are revealed, and the highest total wins. Might be something to do if we wanna chat, and gamble while we wait on updates from the Boss. :D

Oh, about cheating, Sleight of Hand, opposed by Perceptions can grant you a reroll on any round, so maybe a perception check on each round, in case your opponent cheats, or we agree to play fair. As far as Deception forcing a fold, maybe if there were NPC's involved. What do you all think? In for a game?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

"The peppermint. It lingers more pleasantly when in close company. What are you plotting?" She isn't able to summon a response to his last teasing dare before the wrangly man approaches. She smiles at him warmly. "It's hard to say no to a gentleman who brings his own alcohol.

"Speaking of comparing one's size to one's goblet, I once saw a brute of a goliath drink down an entire bottle of whiskey in one go as if it were water. He was so smug about it, won all sorts of bets and back-slaps. I juts had to ask him about it afterward, and do you know he was so engaged he forgot to duck at the exit. Knocked himself senseless. I removed his change purse before he pissed himself.

"You know, out of respect.

"But this is delicious, Mister Richter. Thank you, and I do feel it already. I'm not sure that I'll play much of a game in this state, but Larry is the most clever Gambiter I've seen in all of Hupperdook."

Show
    Sorry, I find actually playing cards - or pretending to - rather tedious. Especially with necessary multi-posting in PbP. Go ahead if you like, but I'll just handwave my part.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho42 View Post
    Elihani arrives, wearing his long coat and hat, his traveling satchel on his back. He knew of the establishment, and was eager to meet his patron to see why this meeting was called. He doffs his cap at the door and walks towards the table he was supposed to go to. “Hello...I’m Elihiani Quillien. Bookseller, by profession.”
    Cedric looked up from the seat he had taken only a few moments before. He stands up quickly again and offers a gentlemanly bow to the woman he assumed would be his contact. "Hail, and well met. My squire and I have traveled far and long today to reach this meeting, forgive me if my manners are a bit roughshod around the edges." A poor excuse, but one that the ranger-knight was more than happy to use if it meant he could do away with some of the more strict rules of formality and etiquette. From what he could tell, this wasn't the kind of tavern that prided itself on either, but he wouldn't risk the meeting ending so early simply because he didn't bow deep enough for the good lady.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Post Re: [IC] Dangerous Designs [Wildemount 5e]

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgon_Heap
    "The peppermint. It lingers more pleasantly when in close company. What are you plotting?"
    Larry tosses her a wink in response, and then subtly shifts his body to open a little more space between the duo, inviting Richter in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgon_Heap

"But this is delicious, Mister Richter. Thank you, and I do feel it already. I'm not sure that I'll play much of a game in this state, but Larry is the most clever Gambiter I've seen in all of Hupperdook."
    "You've got it wrong, dear. You haven't seen me play with some of the luckier priests in town. They could build a ten foot solid platinum statue for Ioun with the coin they've collected from my purse."
    Then, turning his head to Richter, he says:
    "I'm up for a game, but I can't down that shot. I gotta stand straight enough to escort her home and close my study tonight, especially since we've got to start preparations tomorrow."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I'm a fan of card games, but I'm mostly interested in keeping the coins the same. Would it be acceptable to say that each of us wins and loses a bit? Liorel isn't likely to cheat in a game with a stranger, and since he's not exactly sober, I'd say his disadvantage roughly equals out to Richter not having proficiency in playing cards.
    All that being said, I DEFINITELY want to try roleplaying out the game if we ever ran into a wandering fey or one of the more refined devils! Could be even more fun with the wager being a geas on the loser, plus maybe an odd magic item related to it (like a deck of illusions or something).
    Last edited by HelixIconix; 2020-08-13 at 12:42 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Richter dealt out the cards, and started playing a hand with the dark haired half elf, "One shot won't kill ya, specially if what they say 'bout your kin is true," it was a jibe, but Richter didn't trust people who wouldn't share a drink with him. Still, Liorel did know how to play the Gambit, holding when he oughta, foldin' when he need ta, and raisin' when he could. The coins piled up, shifted from Richter to Liorel and back again, all in all, an even match. Still, it was good to play a friendly game, neither of them were out to hustle the other, just playin' to match wits, to sound out the man. In the end, RIchter's purse may have been a few coins lighter, but he'd come to the conclusion that he liked the man.

"So what brings you two to this end o' the Empire? Hupperdook's not exactly what you'd call a destination, less ya'll got business round here?"
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-08-14 at 08:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elihani and Cedric share an introduction, sitting down at a table diagonal from the halfling and half-elf. Richter has found himself a seat that allows him to keep an eye on the newcomers while he socializes with Lilly and Liorel.
    You all see the door gently swing open, and a gnome with long dark hair and burnished bronze skin glide in. She has a reassuring smile as she meets all of your eyes in turn, before turning to Nola and nodding slowly. Nola nods back, then winks and says, ”Good evening, Ms. Farriver. Sure is nice to see you in our humble establishment.” The gnome’s lips twist into the shape of a laugh that’s been restrained and turned into a smile, and she replies, ”Thank you for always making me feel welcome, Nola.” With that, she walks towards the humans with the noble crest and the gnomish bookseller.

”Good evening to you both. My name is Lilla Farriver, and I can tell from your heraldry that you must be Cedric Bodahn. I see that you have met my associate, Mister Quillien.” Turning to the bookseller, she says, ”Thank you for coming on such short notice. I hope the Raven’s Quill is in good hands tonight?” Lilla takes a seat, making brief eye contact with Richter as she does.

Spoiler: Richter
    Show
    Richter, you see a brief flash of recognition in her eyes; and you remember having seen her on one of your few visits to the Raven’s Quill. You didn’t meet her, merely passed her as she was leaving, but even at this distance you can smell the strong scent of a peachy, lavendery perfume that you smelled on her last time.

Addressing Cedric and Clarissa, Lilla says,"Now, you may be wondering why I've called you here. I am an old acquaintance of Janus Bodahn, and I recently wrote him in search of a trustworthy and reliable attendant. His response indicated that you were just such a man, and he volunteered your services... in exchange for compensation, of course."

It is around this time that she tunes into the conversation occurring at the adjacent table, where cards are being played and coins are being exchanged. With a quick “excuse me,” she stands and moves around to face Lilly, Liorel and Richter. ”Pardon me for interrupting your frivolity. Would you mind joining me at this table? I have a job offer I feel you may be interested in.” As she makes this offer, she takes a hefty bag of coin. With a jangle, she places it on the table behind her, between Cedric and Elihani.

Spoiler: Liorel
    Show
    You’ve seen Lilla before at the Raven’s Quill, and you’re familiar with her role there. She has curated a few events, and seems to have a close personal relationship with Elihani.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Strudel1000 View Post
    Elihani and Cedric share an introduction, sitting down at a table diagonal from the halfling and half-elf. Richter has found himself a seat that allows him to keep an eye on the newcomers while he socializes with Lilly and Liorel.
    You all see the door gently swing open, and a gnome with long dark hair and burnished bronze skin glide in. She has a reassuring smile as she meets all of your eyes in turn, before turning to Nola and nodding slowly. Nola nods back, then winks and says, ”Good evening, Ms. Farriver. Sure is nice to see you in our humble establishment.” The gnome’s lips twist into the shape of a laugh that’s been restrained and turned into a smile, and she replies, ”Thank you for always making me feel welcome, Nola.” With that, she walks towards the humans with the noble crest and the gnomish bookseller.

”Good evening to you both. My name is Lilla Farriver, and I can tell from your heraldry that you must be Cedric Bodahn. I see that you have met my associate, Mister Quillien.” Turning to the bookseller, she says, ”Thank you for coming on such short notice. I hope the Raven’s Quill is in good hands tonight?” Lilla takes a seat, making brief eye contact with Richter as she does.

Show
    Richter, you see a brief flash of recognition in her eyes; and you remember having seen her on one of your few visits to the Raven’s Quill. You didn’t meet her, merely passed her as she was leaving, but even at this distance you can smell the strong scent of a peachy, lavendery perfume that you smelled on her last time.

Addressing Cedric and Clarissa, Lilla says,"Now, you may be wondering why I've called you here. I am an old acquaintance of Janus Bodahn, and I recently wrote him in search of a trustworthy and reliable attendant. His response indicated that you were just such a man, and he volunteered your services... in exchange for compensation, of course."

It is around this time that she tunes into the conversation occurring at the adjacent table, where cards are being played and coins are being exchanged. With a quick “excuse me,” she stands and moves around to face Lilly, Liorel and Richter. ”Pardon me for interrupting your frivolity. Would you mind joining me at this table? I have a job offer I feel you may be interested in.” As she makes this offer, she takes a hefty bag of coin. With a jangle, she places it on the table behind her, between Cedric and Elihani.

Spoiler: Liorel
    Show
    You’ve seen Lilla before at the Raven’s Quill, and you’re familiar with her role there. She has curated a few events, and seems to have a close personal relationship with Elihani.
    Elihani is quick to stand upon her arrival, a smile occupying his face. “Good evening, Lilla. It is good to see you again. The store...yes, I’ve hired an assistant. I hope he fares well. It’s difficult to find quality help for a bookstore in this town, I fear.”

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

At first, Liorel seems a bit dissappointed that the cards were referred to as frivolous; he'd earned bread off his cards more than once as a bum, before he was brought into Ioun's priesthood and thoroughly educated. However, at Elihani's response, Liorel chuckles. "Hear, hear. You're right about that. Most of my own students can't tell binding glue from candle wax. Hideous."
    He slaps down the last silver he owes Richter and gathers his cards.
    To the lady gnome, he says, "What exactly do you have in mind? I'm interested, but if you're looking for peppermint liquor, I'm afraid I promised my next batch to Lilly here."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Farriver View Post
    ”Pardon me for interrupting your frivolity. Would you mind joining me at this table? I have a job offer I feel you may be interested in.”
    Richter studied the woman, shrugged, and moved to the table, staring at Cedric, trying to get the measure of the man. He flicked the brim of his hat as he took a seat, "Ma'am, a bag of coin goes a long way to buyin' a man's attention," he took a pull from the cigarillo, before tapping the ashes to the common room floor. "Scent of peach and lavender, real distinctive, and slightly," he looked around the tavern, "out of place in an alehouse like this." Another pause, "If you wanna talk, ain't my place to stop ya, but ma'am, after I hear your proposal, I reserve the right to walk away."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Lilly eyes the coinpurse curiously, but not with enthusiasm. The less effort work requires the easier it is to appreciate. "What they said."
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2020-08-17 at 11:36 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strudel1000 View Post

Show

"I do hope my father's insistance on compensation wasn't unbecoming of a man of his station." Cedric found himself constantly apologizing for the sometimes truly desperate way his father went about his negotiations. The lack of power and influence had taken its toll on the man, that was true, but Cedric didn't necessarily want himself associated with his father's two-faced nature.

The trio of others who had been invited to join them seemed hesitant to accept the offer given, but Cedric was not in a position to refuse anyways, except perhaps for very extreme circumstances. "By my honor as a Knight, I will serve as best I can." The knight-ranger hoped he could dispel some of the unease surrounding their yet-unknown assignment. After all, one doesn't engage a knight for something like banditry or subterfuge.
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seeing Liorel’s disappointment, Lilla bows her head slightly, saying “I didn’t mean to disparage your game- I noticed the stakes seemed fairly low, and I have a proposal of great value to discuss.”
    Turning to Cedric, she adds, ”You need not apologize for your father, Ser Bodahn. This was a mutually beneficial arrangement, for a variety of reasons. Any compensation for your work will go to you and your squire, not your family’s coffers.”

Once everyone is seated, Lilla addresses the group. “Perhaps you heard my introduction earlier. In case you did not, my name is Lilla Farriver. I am a curator and collector of rarities, especially those of a magical nature. I have recently learned of a source for such treasures, although it is a little difficult to get to.

In one of the mines at the base of the mountain here, the miners broke through a wall into what seems to be a long-buried mausoleum. They said the insides are made fo finely hewn marble, with decorations and motifs that were completely unrecognizable. I have my own theories about who built it and why, but I will need more details before drawing any conclusions.

I am asking for your help because, bless their hearts, the hardworking gnomes of Hupperdook have no interest in archaeological digs or treasure hunts. Elihani here is one of the few Hupperdookians who shares my interest, but this is a job for more than one person.
    I’d be happy to offer you one hundred gold pieces upfront, for each of you who are willing to participate. You would also be entitled to a percentage of any treasure you discover; say, ten percent each?

If this seems like the kind of thing that would catch your interest, let me buy you a drink and we can discuss further.”
    Having said so, she waves Nola over to order a round for the table. Turning to Richter, she says, “Of course, you may walk away at any time. This is an offer only for those who are interested. Whether you are interested in the adventure or simply the money is none of my business.”
    Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-08-21 at 02:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

“Speaking personally, of course, I am absolutely in and ready to journey. The sheer amount we can learn is...astounding.”

The gnome is then enraptured by the thoughts of a genuine discovery.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlackDragon

"A hundred up front and ten percent of potential treasure sounds fair. Provided we don't end up entombed in that mausoleum from a cave-in, or, gods-forbid, undead and crypt fiends. Worth my hat, anyway. I'm in. Erm, when would we start investigating this, again?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Richter listened carefully, the tip of the cigarillo flaring as he inhaled, "Hunerd gold suits me fine ma'am, but what are the terms 'n conditions of employment? Is there an item of particular interest to you that we're to acquire, or just more a general grave robbin' scenario here?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

"That amount of money is enough for my attention."

She nods at Richter's last comment. "Yeah, details. What about support after the fact - what if somebody decides it all belonged to their ancestors and they come hunting after us? [Happened to me more than once.] You have a barrister's seal saying we're not responsible for undergoing your plan? And what about other found items? If our ten percent doesn't amount to the value of something we found and want, can we negotiate?"

Or should we just take it and leave town? she adds to herself.
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2020-08-19 at 02:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Cedric listened to the opportunity presented, and allowed himself to relax inwardly. He didn't hold much for history, but the pay had to be good if so much could be given up front. He wasn't much of a historian himself, but the prospect of finding something wholly new intrigued him. "What is your current theory as to who built it and why?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HelixIconix View Post
    "A hundred up front and ten percent of potential treasure sounds fair. Provided we don't end up entombed in that mausoleum from a cave-in, or, gods-forbid, undead and crypt fiends. Worth my hat, anyway. I'm in. Erm, when would we start investigating this, again?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    "Hunerd gold suits me fine ma'am, but what are the terms 'n conditions of employment? Is there an item of particular interest to you that we're to acquire, or just more a general grave robbin' scenario here?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgon_Heap View Post
    "That amount of money is enough for my attention."

She nods at Richter's last comment. "Yeah, details. What about support after the fact - what if somebody decides it all belonged to their ancestors and they come hunting after us? [Happened to me more than once.] You have a barrister's seal saying we're not responsible for undergoing your plan? And what about other found items? If our ten percent doesn't amount to the value of something we found and want, can we negotiate?"
    Quote Originally Posted by WhismurWanders View Post
    "What is your current theory as to who built it and why?"
    Lilla raises an eyebrow at Lilly. "You ask some good questions," she observes with amusement. "A degree of wariness will serve you well in this job, although I hope to provide you with some guarantees of my character. I am open to some negotiations regarding discoveries.”

She turns partially to Richter, adding, “I do insist that I be allowed to inspect everything you recover, even the things you keep for yourself, for archeological information. I can’t say I’m searching for anything in particular, as I don’t know what exactly is down there. But there is great potential.” Her eyes twinkle at the thought.
    Turning to Liorel, she says, ”It may be as much as week before I can secure passage through the mines. There are many permits, as well as barrister's seals, to acquire before then. And if you have a strong fear of creatures returning from beyond the veil, you can use your advance to purchase wards against such an occurrence.”

She chuckles at this, and waves her hand dismissively. “Overall, I would not send you on this expedition if I felt there was great danger. The tunnels are in no danger of collapsing, and this tomb is buried so deep that I sincerely doubt anyone alive would know who is buried down there.” She casts her eyes about to make sure no one is listening, and leans in to speak a little more quietly. “Are any of you familiar with the Age of Arcanum?”

Show
    Anyone who's interested can roll a history check to see what they would know about the "Age of Arcanum." Elihani would know a bit about this to begin with, so he can roll with advantage.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Richter leaned forward and growled, "Ma'am, I 'preciate the offer, but 'nuff with the intrigue, why don't you jus' get to it, and we'll deal with tha' problem."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lilla chuckles almost sheepishly. “My apologies, I so often forget that others don’t share my fascination with such things. In short, I believe this mausoleum is a tomb to the life partner of a long-forgotten dwarven archmage. If that theory is correct, there is a good chance that you may discover magical items of some significance, although I’m not searching for anything in particular.

As for terms of employment, I’ve laid out payment. In addition to your advance, I offer room and board within my townhouse in Upper Hupperdook. You’ll have a few days to prepare yourself and purchase whatever equipment you need. I will take you to the mine’s entrance, where one of the foremen will take you to the tomb’s entrance; and from there, you are on your own.

Mister Quillien can take notes and make archaeological observations. Ser Bodahn and his squire can serve as a form of protection, should you come across any rust monsters or such-like. The rest of you can focus on disarming any traps that are still active, and collecting burial treasures. Once you feel you have completed an extensive survey, you can return to Upper Hupperdook, where we shall rendezvous so I may inspect your discoveries.

Have you any further questions? The celebrations in Upper Hupperdook are just beginning, and I would like to treat you all to a night on the town so that we may get to know each other better.”

Show
    As you might have guessed, I enjoy writing a lot of dialogue for my NPCs. If you feel like this information would be better conveyed through bullet points/descriptions/OOC talk, let me know!

Spoiler: Elihani
    Show
    Based on her coy references, you are fairly certain that Lilla is talking about Grannate Darkender, a powerful dwarf wizard who ruled over a city in the Marrow Valley several centuries before. (Dwarven archmages are not common through history.) The city was considered to be a paradise of craftsmanship and magical innovation, but it disappeared without warning, with none of its residents ever seen again. Since then, almost all information about it has been lost to time.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

A grin replaced Richter's near permanent scowl, "Well now, that sounds like a right fine idea, Ma'am." He thought about the situation, he hadn't made much headway on the Maker's Mark he'd discovered behind the grip on his firearm, Ms. Farriver seemed to have connections, and, if she was interested in this job, dealt in antiquities, so he may be able to approach her to discover the Gunsmith responsible for fashioning the pistol he wore on his hip.

"However, if you can excuse a fella for a might, I need to make arrangements with my current employer," and with that he got up from the table and wandered over to speak with Nola. "Not sure if you overheard, but, seems that an opportunity has fallen in my lap. One a fella can't rightly walk away from, 'specially a fella in my boots. You be alright here for a few days while I do this side job? Down payment's enough to cover my room and board for the month, and then some. So iff'n you don't mind, I could use some time off?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

A night in the city celebrating? It had been a hard day, but there was always something about being shown to a new place by someone familiar with the best places to go and how to get around. "I graciously accept your offer, good lady." He glances over to his squire, who had been listening somewhat inattentively to the entire conversation. "Clarissa, if you wish, you may join us, or you may spend the night at your own leisure. It was a long day of travel, and I do not believe there will be much to learn about chivalry or the conduct of combat tonight," he says with a knowing wink. When he was a squire he had found the entire process gruelling, and any time to himself had been much appreciated.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Lilly's default position on work is not to do it, but the benefits this woman was selling were too enticing. A free night of revelry, with guaranteed payment and probable treasure - all right here in the city?

Sure, it sounded too good to be true, but the risk vs. reward scale was weighted heavily on the latter. But what about unforeseen dangers... meh. Time for a drink!

"Time for a drink!" she says excitedly.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quillien smiles a tight smiles and nods. “A drink sounds lovely...”

He drew a notebook from his inner coat pocket and unclipped a self-filling pen from within. Carefully, he began writing down all that his patron had said. Then, he began taking notes regarding all of the assembled members of this party. After a few moments he looked a little puzzled, and then looked around.

“Just to be sure...does one of you by chance speak Dwarven?”

30. - Top - End - #30

BlackDragon

Liorel takes in the rest of the conversation with a pensive mask.
    "I humbly request a transcription of all recovered knowledge deciphered from the findings of this venture."
    The inner circle of his church would be most interested in this, though he doesn't mention that aloud.