New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What? The World needs saving AGAIN? IC Thread 6

"I hope you slept well" Sirthis said smiling when Hoket sat by them, and waited for breakfast to start before actually getting to business.
    "I was told you're doing something?"

Eris put a comforting hand on Gloriana's shoulder.
    "I... What you just said prompts way more questions but before that... I'm sorry to hear it" she said, offering her a smile.
    "So... 'our daughters'. You're Mab's and Titania's other parent then? How... I'm guessing the Queens don't know. Surely nobody told Boss or Mab" she frowned "And Mab never tried to use that portal to go to its gemini, I imagine? I... Well, this is all pretty hard to grasp" she said, sinking into the chair in thought. In all honesty what REALLY made it unbelievable was that they marched their armies on one another because they couldn't agree on which daughter would inherit, seemed an overreaction.
    "I... If we can ask... Since you looked at your wings... What do you have to do with her people's story?" Eris nodded at Leff "You seemed to say that you were that raven- and we saw the multicolored wings the devil had. And you said that you're returning to your 'former glory' in the Dream. I think we can easily piece it all together, but hearing it from you would make much more sense"

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

"Rather well, thank you," Hoket said.
    Mab lifted her chalice to start breakfast and pancakes with jam were served.
    "As for what we're doing... we are unsure, as of yet, where to go."
    "A wizard of your talents is welcome in my court, of course," Mab suggested.
    "Thank you, my Queen. I will consider that, truly." Hoket took his mate's hand. "But Sirthis... we were planning on organizing... a funeral. For my sons. I was hoping you could come."

Gloriana smiled at Eris. "Thank you," she said to start out. "Yes, Titania was insistent that I never tell either of the Queens... and the Fortress's teleportation circle is linked to nothing now. It used the sigils to link to a teleportation circle that does not exist anymore. My new one keeping the same sequence does not change that." The Raven Queen looked at the raven familiar perched on Leff's shoulder. The scorched bird.
    "The feywild is an unforgiving place, as it ever has been. I lost the war against Titania, Titania II became her heir, and my city collapsed. While all of this was happening, the elven division occurred... that's its own history that we haven't the time to get into. But to put it shortly, elves were being ousted for disloyalty to Correllon Larethian, many turned to Lolth... but many others turned to me. After I lost the war, Correllon seized the opportunity to..."
    She looked down at her wings.
    "I offered the elves learning, knowledge, and security. I brought fire down to them and their neighbor humans. And as the Shadowfell and Fearie were split into Abeir-Toril, Correllon burned me and cast me into the Shadowfell. Most of me is still there, if... that makes much sense. My beautiful wings were scorched black, and now only the fire that took away my glory can reveal what once was."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh. Yes, of course I will come" Sirthis nodded "I'll help prepare anything you need, too" he took up the cutlery to feed Mab while speaking and started cutting the pancakes, though he was keeping his focus mainly on Hoket this time.

Eris nodded thoughtful.
    "Which includes genasis, I guess. Mmm... 'only the fire that took away my glory can reveal what once was'" she repeated "Is that a reveal meaning appearance or is that a reveal meaning restoration?" she asked.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-09-16 at 09:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Hoket smiled. “Thank you, Sirthis. We’ve nothing to bury, so we are planning to light a fire outside in memory.”

Gloriana looked confused for a moment.
    “No, it only reveals, as you saw against my double. My restoration will require a great deal more.”
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

"I see. I'll help gather dried wood to make a pyre" Sirthis said "Or whatever there is we can burn that won't insult a fey. I wouldn't be surprised if it was forbidden"

"Oh! I see, I had misunderstood a detail, sorry" Eris nodded "Can you elaborate on much of you being left in the Shadowfell? And what's Blackrazor? Mávro mentioned that once. Though the question about the weapon isn't actually important now if we want to move on to the actual reason we are here" she asked.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-09-16 at 12:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Mab giggled. "We have fire, Sirthis! What do you think your meat is cooked with?"

Gloriana looked only slightly taken aback at the mention of the weapon. "The Blackrazor is a weapon I forged. I'm something of a smith." She then looked into the middle distance. "Yes, you'd best know. I've no idea if you might encounter me in the Shadowfell. When I was cast there, I was... split. Most gods have the ability to separate into various avatars, with their Divine Spark acting as their 'true form.' I... don't exactly have a choice. This that you see before you is my avatar, my only avatar. My main body... my self, in the Shadowfell, has not stopped feeling the burns yet, and my behavior is... erratic, there. I do not fully understand what I am doing there, and my control over my own actions is limited. It is like... most of my power is in one form, while all of my sanity is in this one, if that makes sense to you."
    Show

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

"You also have cooks made out of flies" Sirthis pointed out "You could tell me you use snow as burnable material and I'd believe you, given what I've seen"

Eris nodded.
    "Yes... I heard something similar. From what I understood Zenov, the gray dragonborn, was a similarly split person. Kind of. Never asked for details. We'll thread carefully if we meet you there- guess we should avoid you?" she asked.

"...by the by, I really wouldn't have said you forge weapons. Smiths are usually... Uh... Burly. It's slightly funny to think of you with bulging biceps" Eris couldn't help but let out a giggle "Alright, I think that's enough questions from me. Leff?"

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

"Is that abnormal?" Mab asked.

"That may be best," Gloriana agreed.
    "No, not really," Leff said. "I'm just wondering what the mission is."
    "Well, Asmodeus began his work under He Who Was, an ancient dead god who tasked Asmodeus with guarding Tharizdun and the demons he spawned. Asmodeus has since blotted out all memory of He Who Was, but the shadowfell holds many memories... and there is what I believe to be a temple to He Who Was there, that may contain crucial information."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Sirthis blinked, cupped his wife's face in his hands and gave her a kiss.
    "Sometimes you're so oblivious to how fantastic and magical you and this place are that it's adorable" he told her, before getting back to the breakfast.

"I see. Is there something specific that you know of or should we search for anything that looks relevant?" Eris inquired "Do we know what might await us- or who? As in, danger wise. Besides the Shadow Weave, we already experienced its effects. Also, can you use your Realmspace model to tell us if there is a short route to it? My first plan is to head to either the Isle of Dread or the vulcan with the Spellplague and take the road for the Shadowfell, since I don't know other ways to it. Maybe Mávro will. Where is she by the way?"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-09-16 at 06:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Mab hummed happily. "We can get you some wood."

"I do not know. It took a great deal of effort to manage the sanity to send Mávro after you, but... she should be able to guide you through the Shadowfell." She put her teacup down. "It doesn't show crossings, but I'd be delighted to show you my Realmspace model."
    Show

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

"Why thank you. Here's a treat" Sirthis smiled and offered her a piece of pancake.
    "I'll be ready as early as after we finish breakfast, Hoket"

Eris clapped her hands.
    "I'd like that" she said and drained her cup, setting it down ready to go.
    "Before we leave, where's Mávro? She's part of the group now, after all. It's already been kinda rude to talk of this without her. Plus, I know she was pretty nervous at the idea of meeting you"

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Mab took the bite, then another kiss.
    Hoket nodded once. "We greatly appreciate it."

"Should I send for her to join us?" Gloriana asked, standing.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Sirthis didn't have anything further to add at the moment, focusing on feeding himself and Mab.

"Yes, please" Eris nodded standing "I'd like for her to be with us too. But please let her know that she's free to refuse if she doesn't want to" she added figuring the Shadar-Kai would take it as an order normally.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-09-16 at 07:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

But breakfast soon ended, and a pyre was built for Hoket just outside the gates. He held his daughter close, breathing in. The fire was not yet lit.

After only a few moments, Mávro arrived with the raven on her shoulder. She swallowed, looking at Gloriana, and bowed low to the ground. "Rise."
    Mávro nodded, standing shakily. "I... my Queen! It..."
    "It's very nice to truly meet you, Mávro."
    Mávro fainted.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Sirthis took out a torch, nodding at Hoket somberly.
    "Do you want to say anything first?" he asked, igniting the torch but without setting fire to the pyre.

Eris catched Mávro in her arms before she fell, giggling.
    "I may have underestimated her nervousness" she said, shaking her lightly to see if the Shadar-Kai woke up.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Hoket nodded. "I... my sons, I... I wanted to be there for every moment. I guess I just... wanted those moments to be happier."
    Dfirîn put a hand on his shoulder. "You couldn't bring us all. And we're here now."
    "Nonetheless... I shudder to think of them dying in fear... not even having a father."

Mávro shook a bit and opened her eyes. "Ah..." she said. Gloriana let out a good-natured laugh.
    "Mávro, would you do me the honor of joining us in my study?"

The Shadar-kai straightened up and bowed again. "Of course, my Queen."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm sure they knew you'd come back for your family" Sirthis said "They died knowing you'd do everything you could to save who remained- that you did. I'm sure that they would be happy knowing their father could save their mother and little sister... I saw you struggle against all the entities stronger then us that we faced, getting ready for the time you could go save them" he put a hand on Hoket's other shoulder "They deserve to be mourned... But you also deserve to be proud for what you DID accomplish"

Eris stood up smiling.
    "Alright then, we can go" she said.

And as soon as they started walking she also whispered to Mávro "Told you Gloriana's easy to talk to and a friend"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-09-16 at 08:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Hoket nodded once, and let the tears flow along with his daughter's. "You can light it now."

Mávro looked up at Gloriana and whispered to Eris, "I usually get visions with angry squawking and the image of beaks ripping apart bodies, so this a change."
    Show

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Sirthis nodded without a word and stepped closer to the pyre, kneeling to put the ignited torch at the base and let it slowly burn then stepped back close to the dragonborns.
    Then he sang- a melody with no discernible words, made to accompany the somber burning.
    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Performance 32! (Rolled in Ooc)

Eris held back a giggle.
    "Imagining her turn around suddenly and go squawk squawk is funny too" she whispered back a second time.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-09-16 at 08:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Hoket held his wife and daughter close all through the performance, and after it was done and the pyre was burned he pulled Sirthis in for a hug as well.

Mávro actually laughed, then covered her mouth looking up at Gloriana apologetically, but Gloriana smiled, though she didn't seem to find the thought of mimicking her insane self funny. She flapped her wings and the air current blew open a pair of large black doors, revealing a prismatic room that finally sold Leff, at least, on the raven connection. The study was filled with odds and ends, and shiny things that weren't necessarily valuable, but were shiny. At the center of it was what looked like a Solarium, but... dozens of them, all a part of the same structure. There were four Torils on the same orbit, one gray, one glowing, and two fairly normal but one with an A carved into it and the other with a T. Around it was a map of the other planes, with a great golden mountain up above and two fiery pits down below. At the far end was a sea of ink with eyes and disgusting many-toothed mouths pushing against a transparent wall of force held up by two goddesses, one that Eris didn't recognize and the other of which Leff identified as the most recent incarnation of Mystra.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Sirthis hugged the family- he knew this might even be some sort of goodbye to Hoket in case they decided to leave, and surely he was going to be left without a traveling companion... But he just felt happy for the family reunited and sad for their loss.

"Wow" Eris looked around realizing that Gloriana really acted like a raven- if she found a shiny bauble, she was going to have to keep it as a souvenir for her. When she spotted the Solarium, her eyes naturally gravitated towards the pits, then the gnawing maws.
    "Alright, the two down are the Abyss and Hells obviously, up is Celestia, the gray Toril is the Shadowfell, the shiny one is the Feywild, those are Abeir and Toril but what is that" she pointed at the black sea.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-09-16 at 09:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

After the family had cried itself out, Hoket whispered a "thank you," to Sirthis and picked up his daughter. "Well," he said. "We need to... decide where we go from here."

"That," Gloriana answered. "Is the far realm. The chaos that all of creation is made up of. The chaotic sea that borders and threatens to wipe out all of reality. It was once held back by the Living Gate, but when that was split into the Shardminds, Ioun moved in to hold it back personally. However, Mystra, after gaining two divine sparks recently, has decided to work with Ioun to create a permanent vault to keep out the Far Realm."
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2020-09-16 at 09:39 PM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

"I hope you'll decide to remain as a Court wizard or whatever is the job Mab would have" Sirthis offered "But... We'll be friends nonetheless wherever you go. Oh and don't worry, I don't expect you to keep adventuring with me obviously- you got a family to care for. If you want to find some peaceful place on Toril my hometown is pretty open to strangers- lots of druids, so it's both usually safe and with plenty of foods, and there's lots of villages around. I can give you some money from the hoard to start a new life. Though you might want to wait for a Crossing that doesn't open in an hostile place"

"That's reassuring. I guess one of those was Vecna's... Say..."
    Eris looked down at the two pits "I'm vaguely aware that my bloodline should be connected to a devil called Zariel... Not that I know anything about her besides some vague things my teacher in the Knights told me. Can we see her place from here?"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-09-16 at 09:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll seriously think about that. I'm not opposed to court wizarding at all, it actually sounds like my dream. But... I'm not just living for me, you know?" Hoket asked, clasping Sirthis's shoulder. "Thank you for everything." And he led his family back into the Fortress to discuss further.

Gloriana's wing extended and a feather poked the smaller of the two flaming pits. "Zariel," she said, and the Solarium grew... no, zoomed into the Hells, down a river of blood toward a furious battle between a horde of demons and a much smaller army of devils. At the front lines fought a flaming devil with bright wings, spearing and cutting into two Balors at once. Their whips and blades cut into her, but she fought on uncaring, and the damage regenerated itself as she fought.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

"Nothing" Sirthis said, smiling, letting them go by themselves as he stayed momentarily out. He took a deep breath, stretched and Sent.

I'm done. A bit sad that my last companion -well, besides Chocolate and Briar- will likely stop adventuring, but they deserve to stay together after all that. I'm happy for them. Now... Where are you?

"I can clearly see the semblance. Wouldn't mind fighting her if the chance arised" Eris said, realizing her hand had closed around Black Ice by reflex- she let go of it.
    "My horns are better though- grown them with care, I did" she smiled and stood up feeling the familiar spikes her horns were composed of, then nodded at Gloriana.
    "Can we see the temple in the Shadowfell from here too? Or at least the area it is in? Mávro, take a look too- we'll need your help to navigate the Shadowfell to reach it"

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Settling another problem Krin caused. But if you want to have lunch in my quarters again I can get Borra to do it.

"I'm afraid not. See, the Shadowfell is... well, I don't mean to sound glib, but... dark. It's difficult to view much of anything there from the outside, even for this part of me."
    Leff looked up at Eris's horns. "Oh, she's got nothing on you."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

If you can spare the time to send a guide for that tour you spoke about before, I can attend to that matter while you attend to Krin... Then I'll relieve the fatigue your Queenly duties put on you when you return. Also, who should I ask for a saddle for Briar? Hard to take you on that night ride while falling from the pegasus.

Eris smiled at Leff then nodded at Gloriana.
    "I see, not a problem. I think this is all? We'll need a map or some indications to find the temple... And could we get a few materials? I don't need a lot for True Seeing, but I'm not sure if Leff's lacking some stuff... Did you need anything to make the fire mephit?" she asked Leff at the end.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Making me wait? Mab asked, but in short order a goblin fell on the ice next to Sirthis. "Hey! You're the Queen's corkscrew!" she said.

"It needs... it's... no, I couldn't ask for-"
    "Leflabah Lelahinn. Anything you need," Gloriana said.
    "Well... a ritual dagger with rubies inset, and some coals." Gloriana looked left, and then right. "A dagger like that one?" she asked, pointing.
    "And Eris? What did you need to see True?"
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Somebody once said that waiting heightens pleasure.

Sirthis smiled at Jade.
    "Yup, though I like to call myself Sirthis still. Mab asked you to guide me?"

"Oh, nothing that fancy. It needs an ointment made out of mushrooms, suffron and fat- possibly enough for multiple applications, since it's consumed each time" Eris said, not shying away from asking.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    One dose for one True Seeing costs 25 gp.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

"Ehhh... how 'bout I promise not to call you a 'lord' and keep making up fun nicknames?" Jade asked. "Yeah, I can show you whatever." She bit into some snow and spat it out.

"Not fancy," Gloriana agreed. "But it is intricate. Would you be willing to remain my guest for another day, while I have that made?"
    Show