New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Theory about Monster Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Emphasis mine. If I've misrepresented your point I apologize, but your position on the value of physical strength alone felt pretty clear-cut to me.
    The best way I can describe this would be to look back at Girard's gate and what we got.

If someone looked deeper into it, they could take away more than "deception".

I felt Girard's gate had a great deal more to say.
    I don't want to head into spoiler territory, but if my understanding is correct, Girard's paranoia could be a result of his upbringing.
    This probably had a direct impact on his relationships which had a direct impact on how he chose to protect his gate.
    So, you have this whole series of events and character development (which I appreciate) that is reflected in how Girard's gate was portrayed.
    This also had a huge impact on the story.

I don't mind simple characters with simple motives, but I want something like Girard's gate for Kraagor's through the eyes of Serini.
    I want more character development.
    Considering the quality of what we have been getting, I don't believe I am wrong in saying I would feel let down if the gate is as simple as it initially appears. This is even more true when compared to well developed gates like Girard's.

For instance, they keep using "strength" as Kraagor's defining characteristic.
    In what way?

Was he just physically strong, or did he have strong values?
    If he had strong values, what were they?
    I have no problem with the former... but I hope to learn more about topics similar to the latter.

Also...
    And anyway, where is this idea coming from, that the Gate's defenses **must** be a thesis statement on the character's entire personality?
    <half serious> Girard's Gate... it isn't a requirement, but I would appreciate the same level of effort. </half serious>
    I don't expect a thesis statement... but some insight would be nice.

Also also...
    What's the problem with being strong and using that physical strength to make the world better? It's kind of insulting to imply that every person who enjoys being strong is an idiot meathead. As if they're incomplete without someone smart or clever to tell them what to do?
    Nothing is wrong with that, but we are both describing a character with some development beyond Thog. I basically don't want Kraagor to be a hero version of Thog.

TLDR: The story has been far more compelling than I would expect a online stick figure comic to be. I would like that trend to continue and would be disappointed if it did not.
    Last edited by mashlagoo1982; 2020-10-21 at 03:03 PM.
    My top question a DM should ask:
    "Why?"

So it isn't lost...MitD Turaglas Analysis

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Uh, we know literally nothing about Girard's upbringing except that his dad was a half-dragon. And I think it's almost certain that he wasn't nearly as paranoid back in his days as an active member of the Scribblers.

FWIW: of all the ideas advanced in this thread, I think Riftwolf's theory that the dungeons move around so that you pretty much need to clear them all to find the Gate is by far the most convincing - and actually fits with Serini's stated intent better than what we're presented with, which is as much a guessing game as it is a test of strength.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Uh, we know literally nothing about Girard's upbringing except that his dad was a half-dragon. And I think it's almost certain that he wasn't nearly as paranoid back in his days as an active member of the Scribblers.
    We know that of all the members in the Order of the Scribe, Girard is the the one whom hails from an area closest to The Empire of Blood's current location.

While not confirmed, it is not such a large leap in logic to deduce that growing up in that area (if Girard did) could be the cause of him having problems with authority figures. That area has a long history of corrupt governments and bloody transfers of power. I don't remember any interaction between Soon and Girard that would be described as "kind" or "friendly".

Paranoia is probably too strong a word, so I am going to downgrade it to "problems with authority figures".
    This seems to have evolved into full paranoia by the time Girard left the Order of the Scribe.
    Last edited by mashlagoo1982; 2020-11-11 at 10:09 AM.
    My top question a DM should ask:
    "Why?"

So it isn't lost...MitD Turaglas Analysis

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    FWIW: of all the ideas advanced in this thread, I think Riftwolf's theory that the dungeons move around so that you pretty much need to clear them all to find the Gate is by far the most convincing - and actually fits with Serini's stated intent better than what we're presented with, which is as much a guessing game as it is a test of strength.
    Thanks for the acknowledgement! It's so refreshing after having ideas picked apart constantly.