New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default planar shepherd Druid LA+1

Hello everyone,

I've played my first adventure as a warrior and now i'm i'm beginning an adventure as a planar shepherd Druid.
    It's my first time as a caaster so i'm not very into it, and i don't know very well every aspect of D&D, basically i'm a noob.

As said in the tilte the adventure has a level adjustment of +1, i can use more or less all the planes, but the DM decided that in his world there is no infinite magic (i can't use wildshape to transform in a djinni and have unlimited wishes for example), but he likes optimized builds.
    Which race do you suggest? Which plan should i take? (consider that i can't use time related planes)
    I need help in choosing the feats too if someone could help me that would be really nice!!
    thanks for every answer, if you need some other information i'll try to explain me better

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: planar shepherd Druid LA+1

FIrst off, Adventures dont have Level Adjustments.

Do you mean your chosen Race has LA +1, or that your DM lets all of you take LA +1 races/Templates for free, or that a LA +1 Race or template is mandatory?

As for which Plane, if youa re not aiming for shenannigans, the simplest solution is pick the one that has the most adaptable summons for you (usually a celestial one if you are good or Hell/The AByss if Evil).

As for Feats and other suggestions, we would need both your starting Level and Stat Generation Rules for that, and ideally the composition of the rest of the group.

Offtoüic, but did your DM really make you paly a Warrior (the NPC Class) or do you mean a Fighter?
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

My favorite planes are those that are timeless with respect to magic and aging. For reasons.

Of course, if you want the widest selection of creatures to wildshape into, the Concordant Domain of the Outlands (including Sigil) has pretty much everything, of every alignment, since creatures from all of the planes live there. Also, you have access to null magic effects that can even affect deities. Just make sure to have access to Initiate of Mystra [insert magic deity of your choice] so you can cast while in dead magic areas. Probably not the anti-deity areas, though.

If you want infinite wildshape, divine minion.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2020-09-10 at 03:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes sorry with LA+1 i meant to say that the DM let us choose a race with LA+1, but i don't know which race is better for the class.

My starting level is 1, but i still have to roll the stats.
    The party has a rogue, a wizard, a cleric and a bard
    I'm sorry for the lack of these info

For the offtopic with warrior i meant to say fighter
    Last edited by Irotras; 2020-09-11 at 03:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

For some reason, WotC's website is acting up, so here's an alt link to the Mulhorandi Divine Minion Template: https://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/l...cbooks13.shtml

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

everything you could ever want to know about being a druid with sections on feats, races, and a specific section on planar shepherd.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I also saved another Planar Shepherd handbook years ago.

My favorite plane to avoid breaking the game is Lamannia since you get access to a variety of forms, including Celestial and Fiendish animals, some spiffy Outsiders & Elementals, and auto-Maximize on Druid spells as your bubble.

My experience with playing a Druid/Planar Shepherd is that HUMAN is a wonderful thing to be! You get a bonus feat, bonus skill points, and no stat penalties!

Is level adjustment buyoff allowed? If so, the Divine Minion template previously mentioned (and Thoth is the best deity for this on that list) lets you spam Wild Shape on your turn to heal you to max if you're conscious and in control of your actions. (It's free action Wild Shape, and every WS use heals you for 1 HP per HD.) This also qualifies you for the feat Exalted Wild Shape, allowing you to transform into a Unicorn and Celestial Baboon/Celestial Hawk for Darkvision - at level 1! It only improves as your levels increase!
    Last edited by Endarire; 2020-09-10 at 09:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    My experience with playing a Druid/Planar Shepherd is that HUMAN is a wonderful thing to be! You get a bonus feat, bonus skill points, and no stat penalties!
    Athasian human? Regular human plus +2 to any one stat, extra bonus feats, bonus power points, and a power known, with its ML equaling your HD. LA +1. Psionic minor creation is really good here, especially if you can gain poison immunity.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2020-09-10 at 11:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irotras View Post
    Yes sorry with LA+1 i meant to say that the DM let us choose a race with LA+1, but i don't know which race is better for the class.

My starting level is 1, but i still have to roll the stats.
    The party has a rogue, a wizard, a cleric and a bard
    I'm sorry for the lack of these info

For the offtopic with warrior i meant to say fighter
    edit: starting level is 3, and we have a fighter too

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

The anthropomorphic bat from savage species is probably one of the best base races for a druid (but all the LA+0 anthropomorphic races are rather good druids).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

You, uh, sure you want to jump from playing a Fighter straight to playing a hyper-optimized spellcaster that requires a lot of book knowledge to play to its full potential?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.