New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Where Can I Find A Wizard’s Gem?

Specifically, I’m looking for something like the crystal that Gandalf had in his staff in Fellowship. I know there are versions of the entire staff available online, but they cost hundreds of dollars, and I’m just looking for the crystal.

But my search-fu has failed me, because no matter what terms I try, I can’t come up with anything that resembles Gandalf’s crystal. Most of what I find involves a crystal or gem attached to a staff, and trying to find crystals on their own hasn’t panned out. Any ideas where I could find this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Where Can I Find A Wizard’s Gem?

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Specifically, I’m looking for something like the crystal that Gandalf had in his staff in Fellowship. I know there are versions of the entire staff available online, but they cost hundreds of dollars, and I’m just looking for the crystal.

But my search-fu has failed me, because no matter what terms I try, I can’t come up with anything that resembles Gandalf’s crystal. Most of what I find involves a crystal or gem attached to a staff, and trying to find crystals on their own hasn’t panned out. Any ideas where I could find this?
    Pretty sure you can just use a large quartz crystal for like $30.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a place near me called the Crystal Connection in Wurtsboro, NY. There may be something similar in your area.

You may try the Pyramid Collection catalog at least until the Ren Faires open again.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

New Age health shops?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you're looking for a fake, not actually made-of-crystal crystal your best bet would be cosplay website. They'll vary in cost based on size, durability and general realism, but they'll do the job. Though if you're aiming for a specific shape you might run into problems. If you're looking for an actual crystal, with the correct texture and level of durability there are entire websites and shops just devoted to stocking them - but you're going to have to have a specific name, type and cut of crystal you want, because they usually sell 'em based on that measure. Again, price can vary and postage might bleed you dry.

If you're still having no luck, and you really, really want it, you could always commission a modeller to make it. They'd probably 3-d print it or make it out of resin based on a specific design, and while you'd be paying a lot more than for a general cosplay prop (though it might be a little less expensive if you're only looking for a smaller, fit-in-the-fist model) you'd have complete control over the design and make.

Hope your search is fruitful, at any rate.
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks in part to the shops snowblizz mentioned, crystals on their own are available on Amazon or Etsy. Just a search like "Large Quartz Crystal" should get you started, Flourite could also be something to substitute in for Quartz if it's more your style. Or even Hexagonal Prism or Hexagonal Obelisk, too.

Even if you don't have a 3D Printer, you could probably look up a few do-it-yourself tutorials on making silicone molds and resin casting. That'd probably be the better option if you want a really big crystal.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by deltamire View Post
    If you're still having no luck, and you really, really want it, you could always commission a modeller to make it. They'd probably 3-d print it or make it out of resin based on a specific design, and while you'd be paying a lot more than for a general cosplay prop (though it might be a little less expensive if you're only looking for a smaller, fit-in-the-fist model) you'd have complete control over the design and make.
    Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Even if you don't have a 3D Printer, you could probably look up a few do-it-yourself tutorials on making silicone molds and resin casting. That'd probably be the better option if you want a really big crystal.
    3d printing wouldn't look nearly as good as an actual crystal, but it is doable with clear filaments or resins. Also, public libraries often have 3d printers available to the public, and they are usually excited for people to take advantage of them. There are numerous sites that offer free or cheap .stl files, and it's likely easy to commission someone to make a custom stl for Gandalf's crystal - it should be a pretty simple design. Hell, if I could use CAD software, I'd try to do it myself for ya.

All that being said, a resin printer or DIY resin casting would certainly do the job if you can't find a quartz or similar inexpensive clear crystal that you like or is in a reasonable price range.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    3d printing wouldn't look nearly as good as an actual crystal, but it is doable with clear filaments or resins. Also, public libraries often have 3d printers available to the public, and they are usually excited for people to take advantage of them. There are numerous sites that offer free or cheap .stl files, and it's likely easy to commission someone to make a custom stl for Gandalf's crystal - it should be a pretty simple design. Hell, if I could use CAD software, I'd try to do it myself for ya.

All that being said, a resin printer or DIY resin casting would certainly do the job if you can't find a quartz or similar inexpensive clear crystal that you like or is in a reasonable price range.
    Actually with a half decent resin 3d printer and a nifty translucent resin you could probably make a crystal much better than nature ever could.

I saw a test example of someone printing a large mask in a translucent-green resin medium and I swear you could not tell it was actually done layer by layer without a very good magnifying glass.

I've tried my hand at FDM printing a bit, got 2 machines behind me right now actually, and with plastic yea you can totally tell it was printed. But the way they make cheap SLA printers with mobielphone screens as the soruces of light you can do a very good quality at a unbelievable price. I'll admit it depends abit on the user. I've seen people get amazing results from exactly the same machine I have used and I couldn't get anywhere close to what I seen online.

Libraries are unlikely to have the SLA resin prisnters you'll want for this job though. It's messy and a pain working with resin compared to FDM plastics.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Actually with a half decent resin 3d printer and a nifty translucent resin you could probably make a crystal much better than nature ever could.

I saw a test example of someone printing a large mask in a translucent-green resin medium and I swear you could not tell it was actually done layer by layer without a very good magnifying glass.

I've tried my hand at FDM printing a bit, got 2 machines behind me right now actually, and with plastic yea you can totally tell it was printed. But the way they make cheap SLA printers with mobielphone screens as the soruces of light you can do a very good quality at a unbelievable price. I'll admit it depends abit on the user. I've seen people get amazing results from exactly the same machine I have used and I couldn't get anywhere close to what I seen online.

Libraries are unlikely to have the SLA resin prisnters you'll want for this job though. It's messy and a pain working with resin compared to FDM plastics.
    Resin printers have fantastic quality, yes, but it involves the cost of a resin printer (as you say and I neglected to mention, libraries will almost only ever have FDM printers), the resin bath, etc. If you're spending that much and want something better than nature, could just get a glass worker to make you a glass crystal.

Also (not for you, since I assume you know, but for anyone else interested, including OP), there are ways of finishing FMD prints so they don't look printed, but more often than not, that will ruin the look of translucent materials. Only one I can think of offhand that may work would be a clear ABS print chucked into an acetone vapor bath, which has the benefits of being cheap and easy, but the downside of finding a place with a printer that does ABS and has clear filament

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think I have seen something similar in an IG shop. They usually dropship from china. If you take a look at Aliexpress you may have a chance to find it.
    I am a fan of Harry Potter and my house is Hufflepuff.
    Do you know yours? You can find your house by What Hogwarts house are you in quiz

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's an interesting design, because it's fundamentally a quartz with a shape that reminds you of a flame or those flame-shaped lightbulbs. What about buying a flame-shaped lightbulb, removing the bottom, filling it with resin, and, once it's dry, removing the glass? (I personally have zero experience with such things, and don't know if there are risks involved, or whether the thing is doable).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    It's an interesting design, because it's fundamentally a quartz with a shape that reminds you of a flame or those flame-shaped lightbulbs. What about buying a flame-shaped lightbulb, removing the bottom, filling it with resin, and, once it's dry, removing the glass? (I personally have zero experience with such things, and don't know if there are risks involved, or whether the thing is doable).
    It's still very crystalline-shaped, not rounded.

Spoiler: screengrabs
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    There's a place near me called the Crystal Connection in Wurtsboro, NY. There may be something similar in your area.
    Sorry for the off topic but isn't Wurstboro near-ish Roscoe? My grandmother owned a shop there ages ago.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's still very crystalline-shaped, not rounded.
    You know, it kind of reminds me of home-grown sugar crystals. Like, I know the actual "crystal" parts are the tiny repeating cubes, but I remember back in... Whatever year it was... My teacher had a washer tied to the string to keep the string straight in the solution, and sugar kinda jaggedy-clumped around that bit. The silly part of me just thinks you'd use a longer implement to weigh down the string, or a larger recipe/longer time spent waiting.

Probably not the best material for long use, though...
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Sorry for the off topic but isn't Wurstboro near-ish Roscoe? My grandmother owned a shop there ages ago.
    Yes! Half an hour south of Trout Town!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett