New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Boys (Amazon)

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: The head exploder
    Show
    Bytheway, I've been wondering, is she a Vought plant or something? They have to know about her, after all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I honestly didn't expect that last scene; and makes sense she's working for Vought. I mean, if you want to sell dirt on Vought you obviously go to its enemies - but if your enemy works for you...

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: The head exploder
    Show
    Strikes me as a classic case of playing both sides. She gets the inside track on the anti-Vought faction while being able to set up scenarios like the head-exploding courtroom scene. As Edgars put it, it's all about the stock price. If Compound V gets sold to the military in a panic to combat supers? Vought wins. If that fails and a "responsible" person from the other side regulates Compound V without making it illegal? Vought still wins, just less so.

I am a bit surprised they chose to make Neuman such an obvious analogue to a real-life politician. They've stayed away from that thus far, with the closest real people being historical figures. If they did it for the shock value, it worked on me. I was assuming certain rules about how such a character could be handled and they all got thrown out the window with that final episode.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2020-10-12 at 05:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm I'm not sure if the last scene invalidates my criticisms of the previous episodes, afew of the issues I brought up could be chalked up to the congresswoman deliberately sabotaging the process to keep her profile high.

Seems like she works for Vought considering how prepared they seemed to be to take advantage of the terrorist attack, people did say that Homelander and Stormfront would be left looking weak after this but obviously that never gets brought up which is a shame considering how Homelander only seems to get gratification from his fans now.

I do find it hard to believe he has no other method of countering Homelander though, they've had decades to work on this. The random changes in Supe toughness again show's it's head here though, is homelander immune to poision, radiation etc? Since they could probably easily dose him. (Might be an interesting final fight, a dying homelander goes nuts and has to be restrained long enough to die without killing millions.)

Obvious scientology cult subplot gets resolved without much in the way of plot significance, but served it's purpose ok (Dont' really count the stormfront documeents as they could have come from anywhere else and made as much sense). Unless they make Deep some sort of weird cult leader next season but I doubt it.

I laughed when frenchie said we have to get the weapon into the car it's our only hope though. It's such a bad line that shows up alot.

All in all at least kept my attention for next season.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Spamalot in the Playground

Finale was fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Do you think there will be a Season 3 of The Boys? I like Season 2.
    While the show could reasonably be ended here (major threads resolved for each Boy, arc 1 major villain defeated), there are definitely still some unresolved threads that could lead into a second story arc or serve as an epilogue for this arc, such as:

Spoiler: Unresolved Threads
    Show

- The biggest thread by far is of course Victoria Neuman's reveal as a Vought mole, and her plans to continue rising through government. This is no doubt a play being made by Edgar, though it remains to be seen whether she has an agenda of her own. Either way, Hughie is about to get swept right up into it, which will no doubt be the catalyst for the Boys getting the band back together, as Hughie's main 'superpower' is his ability to get the other good guys to rally on his behalf.

- Butcher betrayed Edgar by turning Ryan over to the feds instead of Vought. Edgar is not the type to forgive and forget, so I expect this to end up being an issue later as well.

- Homelander also still wants a relationship with Ryan, and very likely revenge against Butcher too if not all the Boys. Maeve has gotten him to back down for now, but that can only be a temporary leash, especially as Homelander appears to be growing more dangerously unhinged as time goes on (though at the very least he seems to have stepped back from nazism.)

- The supes who escaped from Sage Grove are still at large, particularly the Eleven-esque explody girl we saw hitchhiking away from the facility.

- Finally, there was an awful lot of focus on The Deep this season for his story to just end with "and so he quit the Church and The Seven to live in obscurity forever, the end." I foresee him perhaps rising in the echelons of the church, potentially even running it (on his own or as a Vought figurehead) now that Alistair is out of the way.

- Soldier Boy is slated to make an appearance next season, and possibly Tek Knight will show up as well. In addition, Love Sausage was apparently a fan favorite so Amazon is probably going to see how far they can push that particular envelope too.

So yes, Season 3 is looking pretty juicy.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-10-12 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Finale was fantastic!

While the show could reasonably be ended here (major threads resolved for each Boy, arc 1 major villain defeated), there are definitely still some unresolved threads that could lead into a second story arc or serve as an epilogue for this arc, such as:

Spoiler: Unresolved Threads
    Show

- The biggest thread by far is of course Victoria Neuman's reveal as a Vought mole, and her plans to continue rising through government. This is no doubt a play being made by Edgar, though it remains to be seen whether she has an agenda of her own. Either way, Hughie is about to get swept right up into it, which will no doubt be the catalyst for the Boys getting the band back together, as Hughie's main 'superpower' is his ability to get the other good guys to rally on his behalf.

- Butcher betrayed Edgar by turning Ryan over to the feds instead of Vought. Edgar is not the type to forgive and forget, so I expect this to end up being an issue later as well.

- Homelander also still wants a relationship with Ryan, and very likely revenge against Butcher too if not all the Boys. Maeve has gotten him to back down for now, but that can only be a temporary leash, especially as Homelander appears to be growing more dangerously unhinged as time goes on (though at the very least he seems to have stepped back from nazism.)

- The supes who escaped from Sage Grove are still at large, particularly the Eleven-esque explody girl we saw hitchhiking away from the facility.

- Finally, there was an awful lot of focus on The Deep this season for his story to just end with "and so he quit the Church and The Seven to live in obscurity forever, the end." I foresee him perhaps rising in the echelons of the church, potentially even running it (on his own or as a Vought figurehead) now that Alistair is out of the way.

- Soldier Boy is slated to make an appearance next season, and possibly Tek Knight will show up as well. In addition, Love Sausage was apparently a fan favorite so Amazon is probably going to see how far they can push that particular envelope too.

So yes, Season 3 is looking pretty juicy.
    Spoiler: Don't forget...
    Show
    Homelander knows that Edgar stabbed him in the back. The sonic blasters were Vought equipment and it was a Vought retrieval team that went in after Ryan. Homelander is only playing nice with Vought right now because he knows Maeve can ruin him. Without Stormfront, Homelander is entirely isolated on The Seven. Maeve and Starlight are blackmailing him, A-Train hates his guts for kicking him off the team, and Black Noir is loyal only to Edgar.

Seeing how Homelander reacts to the new status quo is what I'm most looking forward to in Season 3.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm I'm not sure if the last scene invalidates my criticisms of the previous episodes, afew of the issues I brought up could be chalked up to the congresswoman deliberately sabotaging the process to keep her profile high.

Seems like she works for Vought considering how prepared they seemed to be to take advantage of the terrorist attack, people did say that Homelander and Stormfront would be left looking weak after this but obviously that never gets brought up which is a shame considering how Homelander only seems to get gratification from his fans now.

I do find it hard to believe he has no other method of countering Homelander though, they've had decades to work on this. The random changes in Supe toughness again show's it's head here though, is homelander immune to poision, radiation etc? Since they could probably easily dose him. (Might be an interesting final fight, a dying homelander goes nuts and has to be restrained long enough to die without killing millions.)

Obvious scientology cult subplot gets resolved without much in the way of plot significance, but served it's purpose ok (Dont' really count the stormfront documeents as they could have come from anywhere else and made as much sense). Unless they make Deep some sort of weird cult leader next season but I doubt it.

I laughed when frenchie said we have to get the weapon into the car it's our only hope though. It's such a bad line that shows up alot.

All in all at least kept my attention for next season.
    Didn't they already state in S1 that they tried any weapon on Homelander and none could ever harm him? That certainly would include poison(gas). Maybe light radioation too (can't risk an unharmed but radioactive little homelander running around poisoning all around him)

7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I'm a little late to the thread because I had personal life distractions and other shows to watch before I came back to finish up The Boys season. I've skimmed through everyone's reactions here and I still have a few lingering thoughts:
    Spoiler: Neuman
    Show
    IS Neuman really a Vought mole or is she assisting Vought because she wants to be the one to bring them down? Unless people have knowledge of this from the comics I see no evidence from this season to make a conclusion either way. Also, it's clear she can use this ability on supes, could she perhaps be able to kill even Homelander?

In response to the varying degrees of invulnerability:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Could the fact that some supes had the compound V administered since they were infants make them stronger than those given the compound later? They said the mental hospital was a testing grounds to stabilize the V but it was my understanding that they were given the V as adult test subjects (unless I missed something). The test subjects there seemed a lot more squishy whereas all of the 7 seem to be resistant to bullets and physical damage as a baseline. Even the supe-terrorists seemed squishier.

Also, what's the deal with Lamplighter? He has the ability to manipulate fire but is it like a stronger form of fire that it has the ability to kill supes? Otherwise people could just take them out with a flamethrower if it's common fire. I don't think they ever explained.

Regarding which characters are evil alignment:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think that's a very subjective topic depending on your definition of evil. I took philosophy courses that discussed the nature of good and evil and from what I can remember, a truly evil person takes ultimate pleasure in the harming of others. Chaotic evil kills indiscriminately and just kills/tortures on a whim. Lawful evil has a structured reason to kill or premeditates their actions. It seems hard for me to determine if Homelander really takes pleasure in the killing of normal humans or if he just does it out of anger or indifference and convenience considering his God complex mentality. He clearly fears losing control more than anything and he's losing control of both his son and his power over the 7 after his confrontation with Maeve which is why in his final scene he's trying to pleasure himself while saying "I can do anything I want" over and over. Perhaps neutral evil would be a better alignment for him?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WinterKnight404 View Post
    Show
    IS Neuman really a Vought mole or is she assisting Vought because she wants to be the one to bring them down? Unless people have knowledge of this from the comics I see no evidence from this season to make a conclusion either way. Also, it's clear she can use this ability on supes, could she perhaps be able to kill even Homelander?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The main reason to think she's a Vought plant is the result of her actions. Vought would have gone down if the doctor dude testified. The courtroom scene immediately led to Compound V being sold to the military and would have led to the exact opposite of what Neuman claims to want - a society full of supers all being created by Vought.

Additionally, she killed the church leader dude. It's very hard to see that as anything other than retribution for letting the Stormfront information escape into the wild.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by WinterKnight404 View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the comics Vic Neuman is on Vought's payroll; he doesn't have any superpowers, however.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The main reason to think she's a Vought plant is the result of her actions. Vought would have gone down if the doctor dude testified. The courtroom scene immediately led to Compound V being sold to the military and would have led to the exact opposite of what Neuman claims to want - a society full of supers all being created by Vought.

Additionally, she killed the church leader dude. It's very hard to see that as anything other than retribution for letting the Stormfront information escape into the wild.
    The alternative read is

Spoiler
    Show
    Is that Victoria Neuman is orchestrating a House of Cards power play. To what end we do not know. That fictional congressman wanted to be President in that story with the US version, while in the UK a MP member wanted to be PM.

If it is a House of Cards / Littlefinger plot than Victoria wants to create controversy and chaos, but stuff she can control. The doctor testify would have been bad for team chaos, while a massacre would be good for creating something for the congress woman to investigate. Think the Red Scare energy but there is an actual threat that may destabilize this fictional United States, amplified by terrorism energy and panic.

After all in the show we are channeling America First and Nazis with two different supes, why not add the Red Scare and 9/11 energy with another supe who is also a congresswoman?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

11. - Top - End - #161

She's almost unquestionably on Vought's payroll. The bigger question is whether that means she's truly on their side, or using them for her own ends.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #162

Flumph

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-17 at 01:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Flumph

Seriously?

Fine. Well, I still don't see much point for a show that supposed to be a critic of superhero genre to have literal villains as superheroes.

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Seriously?

Fine. Well, I still don't see much point for a show that supposed to be a critic of superhero genre to have literal villains as superheroes.
    That's because the comic book the show was based on was a Garth Ennis screed about how he hates super heroes. Except Superman. But he still included a Superman pastiche because if you do super heroes, you might as well toss in the one that got them called super heroes in the first place.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Don't know what the original comment was, but I think the show is going with people being flawed. The seven is an obvious Justice Leage homage, but everyone is at least a little more imperfect and human. You got the guy who just cares about being the best, and getting money, for instance. That's far from the most evil motivation present, but it leads to a lot of evil, and it feels like the kind of flaw real people could have, if given super powers.

After all, if you or I got superpowers, certainly at some point, the idea of how you could use them to make money would at least cross the mind, yknow?

16. - Top - End - #166

I think the bigger question being asked by the show is not "what if real people in our flawed world had superpowers" (you don't need a full-blown deconstruction for that when properties like X-Men already exist) - rather, the question being asked is "what if a corporation could make them?" Vought serves as an stand-in for a slew of bigger corporate questions that I won't elaborate on in this forum - oligarchic media empires like Disney/YouTube/Amazon, Big Pharma, the military-industrial-complex etc - and The Seven are far less central to those questions than even they (certainly Homelander) might think they are.

A lot of Homelander's arc is a painfully slow realization of something the rest of the Seven came to grips with long before - that at the end of the day he's just another chess piece in Vought's machinations. A very powerful chess piece to be sure, but one Edgar is able to manipulate (and, if absolutely needed, sacrifice) for the company's ends only slightly less easily than the rest.

Spoiler: Example
    Show
    Vought's sonic attack on Homelander to separate him from Ryan shows that they do keep several of his weaknesses on file, ready to use if needed. Unfortunately for them, Homelander knows that now too. But unfortunately for both of them, Ryan is now in the government's hands rather than Homelander's or Vought's.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I think the bigger question being asked by the show is not "what if real people in our flawed world had superpowers" (you don't need a full-blown deconstruction for that when properties like X-Men already exist) - rather, the question being asked is "what if a corporation could make them?" Vought serves as an stand-in for a slew of bigger corporate questions that I won't elaborate on in this forum - oligarchic media empires like Disney/YouTube/Amazon, Big Pharma, the military-industrial-complex etc - and The Seven are far less central to those questions than even they (certainly Homelander) might think they are.

A lot of Homelander's arc is a painfully slow realization of something the rest of the Seven came to grips with long before - that at the end of the day he's just another chess piece in Vought's machinations. A very powerful chess piece to be sure, but one Edgar is able to manipulate (and, if absolutely needed, sacrifice) for the company's ends only slightly less easily than the rest.

Spoiler: Example
    Show
    Vought's sonic attack on Homelander to separate him from Ryan shows that they do keep several of his weaknesses on file, ready to use if needed. Unfortunately for them, Homelander knows that now too. But unfortunately for both of them, Ryan is now in the government's hands rather than Homelander's or Vought's.
    It wasn't an attack that bothered HL in the slightest. At worst it mildly irritated him. It bothered Ryan so HL went to check and stop it for his benefit
    Last edited by M1982; 2020-10-20 at 06:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: on eventually defeating Homelander
    Show

I doubt we'll see a timeskip like this to make it happen, but the fact that Ryan was able to fatally wound Stormfront makes me think his lasers might be stronger than Homelander's. And maybe that means he could kill Homelander.

Though it could be Homelander was just holding back when being rough with Stormfront. We know he can control the strength of his laser blasts to a degree, since he used it to heat milk.

Spoiler: on the head exploder
    Show

While I think it's likely she's working for Vought, I could see her wanting to keep Vought around as an enemy to gather her own power.

But, if she were doing that, I'd think she'd want to at least get the info from the church before killing its leader, so she could sit on it and use it later. Maybe whoever replaces him as leader, and that person's relationship with her, will reveal whether she's more likely a Vought agent or trying to play Vought against others for her own personal power gain.

Still kinda hoping that Edgar turns out to be a supe in Season 3.

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Spoiler: on eventually defeating Homelander
    Show

I doubt we'll see a timeskip like this to make it happen, but the fact that Ryan was able to fatally wound Stormfront makes me think his lasers might be stronger than Homelander's. And maybe that means he could kill Homelander.

Though it could be Homelander was just holding back when being rough with Stormfront. We know he can control the strength of his laser blasts to a degree, since he used it to heat milk.

[/spoiler]
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the power of the beams is based on emotion, it would explain why Ryan's beams packed more punch than those of HL. I'd imagine genuine fear and rage trump merely being aroused.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Was the sonic stuff placed by Vought or by The Boys?

Regardless, the points people are making stand as true: Vought did make them. But for some reason I thought Butcher stole them (or got them from Vought as part of the deal) and placed them himself.
    Even if it didn't seem to hurt Homelander, it did seem to be a relevant distraction and make it hard for him to focus. So I could see it not be a weakness akin to Venom being weak to sonics, but still a weakness when you're immune to most everything.

---

Another thought on head-exploder: since the Boys did not die when we first witness the power, that makes me think it's not solely a Vought agent. If she were, I reckon she would have had no reason to leave such a thorn in Vought's side alive. But leaving them alive makes sense if she wanted them to antagonize Vought to get them where she wants them, while she seems to be working for/with Vought.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems like if a corporation could give people superpowers, they probably wouldn't make superheroes. Inherently too unpredictable.