New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Kobold Archmage NPC

Hey, guys,

I'm a DM, I'd dare to say, pretty good at storytelling, not so good at customizing NPCs. For one of my future campaigns, I'm setting up a Black dragon with two caster minions - Kobold Casters. As for casting part, I'm taking Archmage NPC and just changing his spells. That is, I have little clue on what spells to change and I'm hoping for playground to help me here. These kobolds are among the smartest in their tribe and were trained in magic by an appropriately incentivised Elf caster (captured by a Black dragon). There are a few questions, I'm looking for an answer to:
    - how to ensure life(unlife) longevity for these kobolds? These are some important assets - how would you make sure, they live at least as long as the dragon? How could a Black dragon ensure that in game (magical items, transforming them into undead ... any suggestions are welcome)?
    - They reside with a Black dragon. What does that mean? Hm, I'm not really sure. I'd say dragon uses them to Scry upon opponents and ... perhaps boost him druing combat? Thing is, THE PURPOSE they are used for, should define selection of their spells and the way they use them. How do you feel, these kobolds should "fit" into this scheme - and how should that reflect in their spell selection?

So ... this is what I have so far. I'll gladly answer any questions to further clarify this Kobold Archmage spell selection.

thank you :)

Spell selection is limited to PHB. After picked up, spells known can not be exchanged anymore.
    Last edited by HoboKnight; 2020-09-11 at 05:01 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Kobold Archmage NPC

Quote Originally Posted by HoboKnight View Post
    Hey, guys,

I'm a DM, I'd dare to say, pretty good at storytelling, not so good at customizing NPCs. For one of my future campaigns, I'm setting up a Black dragon with two caster minions - Kobold Casters. As for casting part, I'm taking Archmage NPC and just changing his spells. That is, I have little clue on what spells to change and I'm hoping for playground to help me here. These kobolds are among the smartest in their tribe and were trained in magic by an appropriately incentivised Elf caster (captured by a Black dragon). There are a few questions, I'm looking for an answer to:
    - how to ensure life(unlife) longevity for these kobolds? These are some important assets - how would you make sure, they live at least as long as the dragon? How could a Black dragon ensure that in game (magical items, transforming them into undead ... any suggestions are welcome)?
    - They reside with a Black dragon. What does that mean? Hm, I'm not really sure. I'd say dragon uses them to Scry upon opponents and ... perhaps boost him druing combat? Thing is, THE PURPOSE they are used for, should define selection of their spells and the way they use them. How do you feel, these kobolds should "fit" into this scheme - and how should that reflect in their spell selection?

So ... this is what I have so far. I'll gladly answer any questions to further clarify this Kobold Archmage spell selection.

thank you :)

Spell selection is limited to PHB.
    With True Polymorph they can permanently become Black Dragons too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    With True Polymorph they can permanently become Black Dragons too.
    Not bad idea. And yes, lvl 9 spells enable that. I'm just thinking a dragon would not "suffer" another two dragons with him. But a good idea all around.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably more in keeping with the Kobold ethos if each of them trains their successor so there's a rolling set of mages to serve the dragon. (Maybe of the two, one's old and one's young, with a third mage offscreen in training).

If you're set on immortal Kobolds for story reasons, you don't need to look at mechanical solutions in this space which is pretty rarefied. Just say the dragon shares its blood with them, which grants them long life so long as the blood is regularly volunteered for them. And/or there's draconic alchemy involved.

Edit: as for how they're used: Counterspell and Dispel Magic in combat will seriously hamper PC efforts to fight the dragon.
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2020-09-11 at 05:35 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Clone spell can give you functional immortality.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Democratus View Post
    Clone spell can give you functional immortality.
    So can Magic Jar, in a roundabout way. You just keep possessing new, young bodies when the previous gets too old. Would fit more with evil dragon's minions, but vulnerable to being dispelled. Also doesn't consume diamonds.

3.5 had "dragonwrought kobolds", who had closer physical similarities to true dragons, sometimes including wings. Their lifespan is 5-10 times longer than normal kobold's.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Would be cool if a Kobold archmage kept his clone in a jar the same size as a dragon egg. Maybe it even looks exactly like a dragon egg.

Whenever he is killed, he will "hatch" in the dragon's lair and it will know what has occurred.

Could also lead to a fun misunderstanding should a clutch of eggs be stolen - and a wizard pops out of one of them at some point.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Potions of longevity. Either as part of the Black Dragon's horde or the elf wizard knew how to create them and now the two kobolds make their own every few decades.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"A creature might also transform into a half-dragon as a mad wizard's spell or a ritual bath in dragon's blood."
    "By way of compensation, half-dragons are blessed with long life."
    - monster manual page 180
    Sounds like your dragon would have blessed its most adept and devoted minions with "the gift". I suggest using the half-dragon template and potentially giving them winged kobold flight on top of their kobold features.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

As for spell selection, I can't imagine a chromatic dragon keeping company with something that could challenge it in any way. If there's any damage spells they must be restricted to acid damage. I would also think a dragon would be confident in it's own power, so why have casters? UTILITY! I think you're absolutely right that they'd be used for scrying. And legend lore.
    And anything & everything that can directly buff or help the dragon. Imagine a dragon that can teleport! They already have blindsight but what about true seeing? And the coolest thing to buff a dragon with? Foresight! That would seriously up its CR though, so keep that in mind.