New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Looking for a particular meme/webcomic strip - Correct-but-useless answer

A couple of days ago I came across a strip from an XKCD-style webcomic, but I can't remember which one, or where I found it. Can anyone help me out?

Here's the approximate text of the strip:

Kid: Is there a word for when someone gives you an answer that is technically correct, but thoroughly useless?
    Dad: Yes.

I would love to have this strip so I can send it to my occasionally-less-than-helpful colleagues. I wonder what percentage of the replies will be technically correct, but also completely useless...
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a particular meme/webcomic strip - Correct-but-useless answer

Is this it?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a particular meme/webcomic strip - Correct-but-useless answer

Text is right, but that's definitely not where I saw it. I'm pretty sure I would have remembered the lego minifigs.

Thanks for looking!
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #4

It's a joke that's been used often enough there's no telling where you've seen it. Besides IWC, I've seen it in Darths and Droids, Yet Another Fantasy Gaming Comic, Sluggy Freelance, Full Frontal Nerdity and I think Short Packed. Probably Girl Genius as well.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I bet I can find it if I spend a couple hours going through the Mathematician's Answer on TV Tropes (links not included to avoid sucking anyone in without warning ).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I bet I can find it if I spend a couple hours going through the Mathematician's Answer on TV Tropes (links not included to avoid sucking anyone in without warning ).
    That’s how I found the comic I linked.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds very much like the sort joke that would appear on Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, too.