New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1214 - The Discussion Thread

So, what's Xykon's equivalent to the 'cat retrieving hand' spell? He seems to be using it here.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    I'd bet that Xykon just finds it more entertaining.

Redcloak... How often have we seen him actually do necromancy stuff? Maybe it just doesn't immediately occur to him.
    Well, he did make a lich, at least in start of darkness.

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Well, he did make a lich, at least in start of darkness.

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    You know, I really should have seen that coming.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel1 View Post
    Durkon mentioned something about, "If we can get outta thar line o' sight, I can-" before being interrupted. Any ideas on what that is? Avoiding a dispel magic on wind walk seems like a possibility, but then Durkon would be saying, "We can (turn into mist)". Maybe he's hoping to hide somehow?
    Regardless of the plan, their current position makes getting out of line of sight easier said than done.
    I think that was mostly about having a round to get rid of the midgies.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Most undead don't actually retain their memories from life. Speak With Dead, on the other hand...
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You go Oona!
    Fight them Skitter style!
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

ohhh dear.

Shouldn't that be "what the Hel", though?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Most undead don't actually retain their memories from life. Speak With Dead, on the other hand...
    Speak With Dead gives a Will save, and is quite limited in what you can ask.

Anywho, I wonder if maybe Xykon was watching the whole time, and Redcloak knew but couldn't let on. May give a glimmer of hope for Plan Eeace and Love after all.

9. - Top - End - #99

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    You go Oona!
    Fight them Skitter style!
    Given that she's not using webs all over the place I'm guessing this is early story Skitter.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    I'm thinking that might be their best hope for escape. An innocent "Why are ye so determined to give ultimate power to a goblin god?" would take a lot of focus off the dwarves.
    Hmm, but would Durkon want to do that? Now I think about it more -- that might endanger Redcloak, whom Durkon wants to keep alive. It's a tricky situation to be sure, but maybe Durkon could inject enough doubt to distract them without getting Redcloak iced for treason against Xykon. Looking forward to seeing what happens next!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Halfling in the Playground

I have a hunch: the whole Order of the Stick is going to rescue at least one of the dwarves and then they will escape from Xykon by going into one of the already marked dungeons.

"Hey, guys, these dungeons don't have monsters anymore. Maybe we can hide here safely."
    Life is like a ladder in a henhouse; it is short, but full of guano.

12. - Top - End - #102

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    So, what's Xykon's equivalent to the 'cat retrieving hand' spell? He seems to be using it here.
    It's probably the spell Telekinesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Hmm, but would Durkon want to do that? Now I think about it more -- that might endanger Redcloak, whom Durkon wants to keep alive. It's a tricky situation to be sure, but maybe Durkon could inject enough doubt to distract them without getting Redcloak iced for treason against Xykon. Looking forward to seeing what happens next!
    Considering Durkon doesn't know how at odds Redcloak and Xykon are at, it might not occur to him to exploit it. And it wouldn't help the dwarves much, either - Xykon can ice them in one round and then go on to deal with Redcloak if need be.

At least in 1204, there was two mild assurances: a) Redcloak wouldn't attack a random dwarf on sight, and b) the Order could pull him out if needed, since Redcloak is lower level than Xykon. There's none of that here.

Honestly, besides the voices' intervention, I'm really not sure how Durkon and Minrah can make it out.

13. - Top - End - #103

ElfWarriorGuy

Uh oh. S**t just got real.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

14. - Top - End - #104

AssassinGuy

Class example of "It Got Worse."

Quote Originally Posted by Ginasius View Post
    I have a hunch: the whole Order of the Stick is going to rescue at least one of the dwarves and then they will escape from Xykon by going into one of the already marked dungeons.

"Hey, guys, these dungeons don't have monsters anymore. Maybe we can hide here safely."
    I'm thinking we had evidence somewhere that the monsters come back.

Otherwise, MITD's method of sabotage doesn't do nearly as much, since they could just peek in the doors to see whether they had monsters or not to determine whether they had already been inside.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

And that's the ballgame. Oof. D:

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

What do you suppose the odds are of Durkon accidentally exposing one of the puppet strings Xykon unknowingly dances on here?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thing about the Giant is that he so often surprises. I mean, this could either be another many-strip hostage rescue, an execution (or two, which could also be a celestial hostage situation if the team had any clerics left), or an amazing escape.

My hope is for an amazing escape, but a) it's too early in the book to resolve this sub-plot b) you could run straight into a confrontation between the whole team and Xykon's team c) there are other threads dangling that could be brought to bear.

Whence the paladin? Kinda thinking we may switch to that sub-plot pretty soon.

Frankly, I'm glad that Xykon finally showed up. You knew he would. The tension was killing me.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This is rapidly feeling like the frost giant fight from the last book, where things went from bad to worse to ridiculously overwhelmingly worse in a hurry and just kept going.

If the rest of the Order aren't showing up to shank Xykon in the back right freakin' now, there really is no escape for Durkon and Minrah other than Word of Recall, Plane Shift, or deus-ex-machina.

Put me down as agreeing that the Order aren't going to beat Team Evil this early. Something will happen to break up or interrupt the fight. Probably, I would think, something like the IFCC landing on the scene with their oh-so-vaguely-promised "artifact" and "vessel".
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    On a related note, why do the villains bother interrogating high value captives? Kill them, create a free-willed undead from their remains, compel it to tell the truth, add the undead to the army.
    Interesting. Though I think that would give some time, because they can't do that until nightfall.

Anyway, what I think will happen is simpler. Durkon doesn't need any miraculous rescue, because Redcloak wants to capture him alive. So Durkon will be captured, which is good for us because he'll be right where he wants to be, talking to Redcloak. Minrah might die, or she might survive for a bit longer.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    This is rapidly feeling like the frost giant fight from the last book, where things went from bad to worse to ridiculously overwhelmingly worse in a hurry and just kept going.

If the rest of the Order aren't showing up to shank Xykon in the back right freakin' now, there really is no escape for Durkon and Minrah other than Word of Recall, Plane Shift, or deus-ex-machina.

Put me down as agreeing that the Order aren't going to beat Team Evil this early. Something will happen to break up or interrupt the fight. Probably, I would think, something like the IFCC landing on the scene with their oh-so-vaguely-promised "artifact" and "vessel".
    Put me down for thinking that the still-unknown Paladin kidnappers will add a pair of kidnapped dwarves.

Most likely by Xykon/Redcloak knocking them out, turning away to argue about what to do with them, and then realizing that they're gone.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

21. - Top - End - #111

When Oona said "Okie dokie, Oona is doing the thing!", it brought to mind Uma Thurman's hilariously bad Swedish accent in The Producers, and I will forevermore hear Uma as Oona.

Spoiler
    Show

Now Ulla belt:

In other news: Things go from bad to worst. I'm on the edge of my computer chair waiting for the next update!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I don't think he'd do it on purpose, but Redcloak never mentioned he was running a con on Xykon. Durkon has no reason to think he's anything but a willing partner in The Plan, as far as I can recall.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Zhu li, do the thing!
    Yay, ATLA

Asides from the reference, I have three theories:

They get rescued because the rest of the OOTS show up, or the mysterious voice (who is totally not Serini) or the MITD or the paladins or something along these lines show up
    They convince Redcloak and they fight off Xykon with Redcloak (unlikely)
    They get captured and/or killed.

24. - Top - End - #114

Lizardfolk

Don't know about anyone else but I'm wondering if game theory will win the day here;
    Durkon could raise his hands and say 'take us prisoner and ill tell you what I know and why we're here!'
    This would at least delay Xykon for a few seconds, and could possibly start an argument between Redcloak (who doesn't want Xykon to know what the dwarves are doing there) and Xykon.
    Yeh I know I'm grasping at straws but there's got to be *something* that stops this escalating this early in the arc.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow. I'm trying to figure if this could be any worse if Durkon HADN'T planned for it.

So far, the only difference I can see is that Minrah would still be alive to help the party. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Put me down for thinking that the still-unknown Paladin kidnappers will add a pair of kidnapped dwarves.

Most likely by Xykon/Redcloak knocking them out, turning away to argue about what to do with them, and then realizing that they're gone.
    That seems plausible enough. It's about the only thing that could get our dwarves out of this that doesn't involve repeating the "dead PC" or "MitD tricks" plotlines.

-H

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

First post here, may as well get my stupid ideas out while I lack a reputation.

Maybe it's
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD shapeshifted into Xykon.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

****. I apologize for violating the profanity rules, but that feels like the only reasonable response to this situation.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-Os View Post
    First post here, may as well get my stupid ideas out while I lack a reputation.

Maybe it's
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD shapeshifted into Xykon.
    {scrubbed} because it only works if MITD has mastered all his monstery powers as well as impersonation of someone completely unlike him, which is a crazy huge leap to make.

Reminds me of:
    Maybe it's just another illusion?
    Nah, that would mean we weren't totally boned.
    Strip 901

ETA: Those faces don't really work, do they?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-09-11 at 08:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fafnisbaninn View Post
    Oh. Holy. Hell.

Oh UnHoly Hell - but alignment is subjective

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMMNOMNONM... wait? ... oh my goodness.

Next!
    Oh I wish I had a witty signature like everyone else.
    *sigh* The woe of sig-envy

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Jacky, I think we could have been a little warmer in greeting our new particpant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacky720
    {scrub the post, scrub the quote} because it only works if MITD has mastered all his monstery powers as well as impersonation of someone completely unlike him, which is a crazy huge leap to make.
    I would like to welcome our new poster

Hello, Yuri-O's, glad you joined us.

Not seeing MiTD beginning to talk like Xykon, nor reveal himself without permission. He's had opportunities galore and has never yet broken lurk.

Also, I just noticed that in the last panel, Minrah has one eye closed and one eye open. It gives her an almost quizzical look. I like that kind of attention to detail.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-09-11 at 08:56 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society