New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1214 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Jacky, I think we could have been a little warmer in greeting our new particpant.
    Yeah, that was harsh. Sorry. To Yuri-Os.

(Of course, your idea is still a possibility. {scrubbed})

(I still sound like a jerk with this, don't I...)
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-09-11 at 08:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Fewer times have the villain of the story ever seemed so... impending doom-y
    I mean, they are Impending Doom-y for themselves really. They cannot succeed with or without the Order's interference. If they somehow managed to beat the party, the watching Gods will decide ''well that failed. Blowing the world up it is.'' So Xykon and Redcloak, along with their goals are gone.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-Os View Post
    First post here, may as well get my stupid ideas out while I lack a reputation.

Maybe it's
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD shapeshifted into Xykon.
    This isn't relevant to anything, but I choose to believe you are a cereal based on a Red Alert 2 villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    ****. I apologize for violating the profanity rules, but that feels like the only reasonable response to this situation.
    I should point out that if the filter catches them and you aren't overusing them, you're not breaking the profanity rules. Which makes me happy.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-09-11 at 08:57 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Did Redcloak forget Roy's name or is he just so used to using descriptors because Xykon is so pathologically incapable of remembering names (or at least, trolls people by pretending he's incapable of remembering names).

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Did Redcloak forget Roy's name or is he just so used to using descriptors because Xykon is so pathologically incapable of remembering names (or at least, trolls people by pretending he's incapable of remembering names).
    He's currently talking to somebody that has absolutely no idea who 'Greenhilt' is, so 'the paladin and the one with the green sword' are pretty good descriptors to be on the lookout for.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

He remembered greenhilt's name last time, but not what his plot was.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0901.html

It would be a little surprising if he had forgotten his name, but it's also possible he never thought greenhilt was his actual name, just a nickname.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

...Maybe Durkon escapes but Minrah gets captured? The “talks with MitD” theory would be right then... I dunno even, I just hope this doesn’t screw things over too badly.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ...Maybe Durkon escapes but Minrah gets captured? The “talks with MitD” theory would be right then... I dunno even, I just hope this doesn’t screw things over too badly.
    I suppose Minrah could talk to the MitD, but it feels like that role still belongs to O-Chul. She'd kinda be stepping on his territory if she became the one to prompt MitD's heel-face turn. Especially since O-Chul is (hopefully!) nearby.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd say . . . the rest of the Order arrives to bail out Durkon and Minrah, there's a big team battle between the Order of the Stick and Team Evil (before Team Evil inevitably turns on itself), they manage to escape somehow but the element of surprise is ruined, and Roy is pissed at Durkon.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    It was really nice knowing these dwarves. RIP from ??-1184.
    Durkon: 1129-1184, 1184-1184, 1184-1184. If he dies again here, which I think unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I dont think he was lurking off panel. I think he was in the ravine and saw the head fall off the cliff.
    Xykon's comment seems to imply that there was some reason why they hadn't knocked the head off the statue before.

I'm going to go with "Redcloak knows that doing so will trigger some effect which targets the last person who caused damage" and that Xykon's holding the hot potato, so to speak, because of whatever negative-energy thing he's doing.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-09-11 at 11:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by Kaed View Post
    Even if it is somehow his remains it's been explicitly mentioned a number of times the Snarl will destroy your soul. It did the same to Soon's wife. They were also high-level adventurers so if they were capable of bringing him back to life they would have done that.

He is dead. Permanently. There is no secret Kraagor Resurrection plot twist and speculating over whether the statue is his corpse and/or he's been secretly not dead is silly.
    You are misinterpreting the post. The theory was that Kraagor's Gate was hidden in the statue instead of behind the doors and the tribute to Kraagor's belief in strength via combat.

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    You are misinterpreting the post. The theory was that Kraagor's Gate was hidden in the statue instead of behind the doors and the tribute to Kraagor's belief in strength via combat.
    I do recall seeing someone suggest that the statue might be Kraagor's petrified remains. Probably coming out of the idea that Kraagor's Gate was hidden in the statue, and the stuff about where Girard's Rift was hidden.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I know I’m late to the party, but OOOOHHHHHHHH SNAP! Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I suppose Minrah could talk to the MitD, but it feels like that role still belongs to O-Chul. She'd kinda be stepping on his territory if she became the one to prompt MitD's heel-face turn. Especially since O-Chul is (hopefully!) nearby.
    Agreed. Plus, the MitD aleeady saved the Order at Girard's gate and Redcloack might suspect he became too attached to the paladin, so he might prevent it to get in contact with another prisoner.

Personally I think at this point the best options is for the dwarves to be saved by the same group who captured O-Chul and Lien. This way, they'll be safe (?) without making their escape look too easy, and we'll have the paladins back in the story. I'd hate if the party remains split for long, though.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    I'd hate if the party remains split for long, though.
    It's already been split for 10-11 pages now. How long is "long" in this context?
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
    It's already been split for 10-11 pages now. How long is "long" in this context?
    I don't have a specific number...a third or half of the book, maybe?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I just have to say, regarding the "reveal to Xykon that Redcloak has a plan to double-cross him" theory, I'm pretty Xykon's response would be a resounding "Uh, durr!!!". The fact that he had Tsukiko research the ritual way back and then just disavowed her and quickly dropped the subject after Redcloak killed her suggests to me he's well aware that Redcloak's working an angle on him. What could be interesting though is if he then goes on a rant about how stupid Redcloak's being in the situation and how he's too much of a coward to actually turn on him which makes Redcloak take the offer after all just to spite him. It would make a great twist and provide a good reason for Redcloak to at least ostensibly join Our Heroes without just making a spontaneous Heel-Face-Turn. He's not turning against Xykon for any moral reason, or even the good of goblin-kind. No, he's just the dog finally biting back.
    Last edited by Ace of Rogues; 2020-09-12 at 03:52 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

That's not good at all. Durkon and Minrah might have been able to escape from Oona and Redcloak, but not a Level 21+ lich.

19. - Top - End - #139

WolfInSheepsClothing

My thinking is that Xykon has had a plan to turn on Redcloak after the ritual and take the power of the snarl for himself for a very long time. I’m guessing Xykon is suspicious because he knows that Redcloak knows he wouldn’t want to share power, and this assumes Redcloak must have his own plan or angle. But he doesn’t know why Redcloak seems not to care.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xlsfd View Post
    That's not good at all. Durkon and Minrah might have been able to escape from Oona and Redcloak, but not a Level 21+ lich.
    According to his apparent feat selection, it is entirely possible and perhaps even the most likely scenario that Xykon has at least 26 levels in sorcerer, so... yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    My thinking is that Xykon has had a plan to turn on Redcloak after the ritual and take the power of the snarl for himself for a very long time. I’m guessing Xykon is suspicious because he knows that Redcloak knows he wouldn’t want to share power, and this assumes Redcloak must have his own plan or angle. But he doesn’t know why Redcloak seems not to care.
    I personally read that as that he saw the statue head falling down the cliff, and flew up to see what was going on.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ace of Rogues View Post
    I just have to say, regarding the "reveal to Xykon that Redcloak has a plan to double-cross him" theory, I'm pretty Xykon's response would be a resounding "Uh, durr!!!". The fact that he had Tsukiko research the ritual way back and then just disavowed her and quickly dropped the subject after Redcloak killed her suggests to me he's well aware that Redcloak's working an angle on him. What could be interesting though is if he then goes on a rant about how stupid Redcloak's being in the situation and how he's too much of a coward to actually turn on him which makes Redcloak take the offer after all just to spite him. It would make a great twist and provide a good reason for Redcloak to at least ostensibly join Our Heroes without just making a spontaneous Heel-Face-Turn. He's not turning against Xykon for any moral reason, or even the good of goblin-kind. No, he's just the dog finally biting back.
    Xykon would assume Redcloak is planning to betray him, that's standard practice for the 2IC of any evil organisation as he well knows. But Durkon knows that the Plan isn't what Xykon thinks it is, and Xykon might be slightly ticked off if he finds out he's spent thirty years on a project with no possible benefit to him whatsoever.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Zhu li, do the thing!
    Zhu Li, always a good joke.

THanks for the smile it brought.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-Os View Post
    First post here, may as well get my stupid ideas out while I lack a reputation.

Maybe it's
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD shapeshifted into Xykon.
    Welcome to this part of The Playground. They usually don't greet newcomers with profanity.

Your post is making me wonder though: Just where is the MITD? Asleep? He's sociable, and has to have noticed that every other member of Team Evil is off doing something else. He hasn't enough curiosity to see what that is?

Moreover, Durkon's Hammer is shooting electricity and is delivering big enough blows to shatter stone. Is Minrah's voice amplified when her size was too? All of that isn't making enough noise to bring the village---and the MITD---out to see what's going on?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Look, Durkon and Minrah don't have to escape if the author requires them not to.

But it's actually a little frustrating that every time Redcloak has casted a Disintegrate, even at long range, it always hits. Whereas Vaarsuvius has had so many misses, multiple ones at point blank range, that hir use of it is unreliable at best.

It's a powerful spell, and it's been portrayed to be a bit buggy- but only when used by protagonists.
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2020-09-12 at 09:25 AM.
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaily12 View Post

Look, Durkon and Minrah don't have to escape if the author requires them not to.

But it's actually a little frustrating that every time Redcloak has casted a Disintegrate, even at long range, it always hits. Whereas Vaarsuvius has had so many misses, multiple ones at point blank range, that hir use of it is unreliable at best.

It's a powerful spell, and it's been portrayed to be a bit buggy- but only when used by protagonists.
    Rays don't suffer from range penalties and in fairness to Vaarsuvius they have actually managed to disintegrate living/undead creatures with it - a feat that to memory still eludes Redcloak.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2020-09-12 at 09:30 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I suppose a 17th Cleric does boast a better BAB than a 16th Wizard, but that's what, a difference of +4 and Dex difference? Definitively we only know that it's roughly a 20% hit improvement on a d20.

And yeah, Redcloak has failed to ash anyone (barring unread bonus strips I don't know about), but that's because he seems to target high Fortitude savers exclusively.

Vaarsuvius' list of victims include commoners and hurt young dragons (disintgration happens regardless of save at 0 HP)

Meh. A saved Disintegrate still does more damage than a missed one, which apparently only V seems to do.
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2020-09-12 at 09:41 AM.
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground

Durkon: "Thor...I guess I'm sort of back a bit early."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lemarc View Post
    Xykon would assume Redcloak is planning to betray him, that's standard practice for the 2IC of any evil organisation as he well knows. But Durkon knows that the Plan isn't what Xykon thinks it is, and Xykon might be slightly ticked off if he finds out he's spent thirty years on a project with no possible benefit to him whatsoever.
    2IC = ?

I am unfamiliar with that one.

Wait, Second In Command? Is that it?
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2020-09-12 at 11:00 AM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    Given that she's not using webs all over the place I'm guessing this is early story Skitter.
    I didn't get "fight them Skitter style" (the only Skitter that occured to me was a monster in an Android roguelike) until your response!

As for Xycon, Redcloak believes he is manipulable like all undead, but even Redcloak knows that Xycon is intelligent (when he chooses to be, and that is a choice you make every time) and unpredictable. Redcloak may be the person most unhappy that Xycon has shown up.
    Last edited by gerryq; 2020-09-12 at 11:09 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    2IC = ?

I am unfamiliar with that one.

Wait, Second In Command? Is that it?
    Yes, sorry, Second In Command. I was referencing

Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    Xykon's experience at helldeathdoomfire volcano, when his master promoted people saying they would inevitably betray him, and when Xykon talked with Ydranna and mentioned she should be plotting the Unholy Master's death, to which she replied she'd do it after lunch.