New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Ponderment: D&D Realms in Magic

So...with the release of "Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica" and "Mystic Isles of Theros", we now have two of the major realms of Magic now playable in D&D. About time, really...

But now I have to ask the ONE QUESTION: Which classic D&D campaign settings should be turned into expansions for Magic?

Now, back in the day, Dragon Magazine did in fact mock up some possible cards not long after Wizards of the Coast acquired TSR. But, what I'm pondering is whether we can go further than just specific iconic characters like the Beholder or a certain Drow that has become the face of the franchise. How would certain settings work? I'm picturing something like these examples:

GREYHAWK - To many who think of just the "basic" D&D setting, they are usually thinking of Oerth. Of course, when you have Mordenkainen and the Circle living here, many of who have literally lent their names to certain spells, it's not hard to see this as the place where D&D began.

A set based on Greyhawk will likely be the first Magic will dip into as a way to test the waters. Perhaps even incorporating a mechanic where if any of the Circle are in play the cost for their spells is reduced. Wouldn't surprise me if Mordenkainen himself appears as a Planeswalker in this set.

FORGOTTEN REALMS - Of course there are others who think THIS is the "basic" D&D setting. Toril has definitely seen a lot of love with the various settings used as sourcebooks as well as notable characters made popular like the Sage of Shadowdale himself as well as the aforementioned Drow that has somewhat become the face of the franchise. (What have you wrought, R. A. Salvatore?!?)

This set would likely have a focus on Legendary cards, with various locations as Legendary Lands and multiple Legendary creatures based on the heroes of Toril. Mechanics based on interactions with Legends could also be possible with this set.

DARK SUN - An older setting, but one I think could be fun. Athas has definitely seen its fair share of trials with everything that has happened on this world. Especially with the way the Defilers razed the planet.

New cards that could be in this set can include Defiled Lands, which could be used for screwing over mana drops for opponents. This set could also incorporate a Preserver/Defiiler mechanic, where the power of a spell can be altered either by using a lower cost or by saccing lands.

EBBERON - The newest of the settings, and one that brought intrigue and Warforged to D&D. Definitely the more interesting of settings given the emphasis on "role" playing as opposed to "roll" playing.

This set will likely have an emphasis on artifacts, especially given the Warforged who will likely be an entire artifact race in this set. (Possibly taking a few hints from the Eldrazi.)

RAVENLOFT - Ah, yes...classic horror given form. A great place to go for creepy settings, scary monsters, and the occasional grim outlook due to the Mist.

This set will likely make great use of various Undead as well as the Vishtani as a new race. There could also be a mechanic using the Mist where it could prevent a card from phasing out or leaving play in any form.

These are just a few suggestions, but what do you guys think? Anything you would love to see as a D&D setting as a Magic set? Any specific cards you want to see or other settings that could work?
    The fourth wall has shattered...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponderment: D&D Realms in Magic

I mean. Forgotten Realms IS getting a Magic expansion next year, after the not-Hogwarts expansion.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Forgotten Realms is getting...?!?

*goes to Google*

(O)[](O)

My God...you're RIGHT!!! Well, looks like I'll have to see if I'm right about card interactions. Looks like several are already predicting Elminster to become a Planeswalker card. (Which, to be honest, would not surprise me.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

If they do make cards for anything, I can guarantee you it will be for something new - not something old.

You make the cards so they will hopefully boost the expansion sales, and you make the expansion so they will hopefully boost card sales. So there will be zero cards for old expansions unless they're planning a re-boot.

(obviously I cannot know this for a fact - but generally speaking, that's how the business works)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GamemasterAnth View Post
    Looks like several are already predicting Elminster to become a Planeswalker card. (Which, to be honest, would not surprise me.)
    Considering he had at least one apprentice from earth. Yup.

Still new walkers are about the power of a high level D&D character, like 15-20ish level. Elminster is at least 30th level meanjng he would rather be like an Oldwalker like Urza et al.

So I rather think Elminster will give his name to epic spells because he is even too powerful for Magic. That or they will have something like heroes similar to Hearthstone which canonically just replace the player characters.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Considering he had at least one apprentice from earth. Yup.

Still new walkers are about the power of a high level D&D character, like 15-20ish level. Elminster is at least 30th level meanjng he would rather be like an Oldwalker like Urza et al.

So I rather think Elminster will give his name to epic spells because he is even too powerful for Magic. That or they will have something like heroes similar to Hearthstone which canonically just replace the player characters.
    Elminster is not even a little close to oldwalkers, and thanks for that. Urza and such was basically the result of a decade of writers having no idea how to manage power creep or think about the future of the setting beyond three months away. Urza crushed entire planes of existence to use as batteries.

Elminster is basically around some of the most powerful new walkers, like Ugin and Bolas and so on, more than anything, I'd say.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Elminster is basically around some of the most powerful new walkers, like Ugin and Bolas and so on, more than anything, I'd say.
    He is still an impossibly powerful mage, but apparently the D&Dverse caps their arcane exploits. And just TELL me the awakening of Vitu-Ghazi is not considered a 10th or 11th level spell. Of course then he is cut of from his home world and has no access to his powers as Mystra's chosen (presumably).

I assume in the scope of MTG he is a "normal" legendary creature with hints to his power allowing more than just that. Technically any archmage or high priest of Faerun is a planeswalker (due to the spell planeshift).
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-09-21 at 06:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, MtG also has non-Planewalker ways to move between planes, including ships and gates.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

The big thing is that in current magic, the space between planes for some reason became extremely lethal to anything alive, and about the only known reliable protection at the moment is a planeswalker spark. Hopping into a portal is a bit like hopping into a room full of mustard gas. This is why Bolas had to use undead for his whole invasion thing even having gotten the giant super portal. He was basically rules lawyering.

Which, given this precedent, means that if the cosmologies are connected (which they probably shouldn't be, but also probably will be), a) Elminster would find some extremely serious trouble Plane Shifting around in the MtG cosmology, but b) Szass Tam would not. As states of affairs go, not the best!
    Last edited by Drascin; 2020-09-22 at 12:06 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Interesting. I must admit I haven't been into MtG in over ten years. But planeshifting is a pretty big thing in D&D, including things like summoning elementals, demons and angels that aren't off-plane in MtG. You can't really take that out. I guess they will have to handwave it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I assume elemental planes and negative/positive energy planes are part of Faerum for what MTG considers a plane.

Which takes into question what kind of magic would be needed to exit thia cosmos? Is Sigil part of it? Does shifting to it count as planeswalking?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

You do not know how planeshift works.
    Everybody in MTG summons stuff with ease including artificers (do not tell me mishra was a planeswalker: he was not but you can play mishra and summon stuff just fine).
    Maybe it summons a single use mini gate, throws you instantly through it then you did travel through planes without being a planeswalker at all.
    People are making being a planeswalker be a big deal while it is not needed at all for travelling through planes(gates) or tapping lands for power(many wizards and artificers could do it just fine) or summoning stuff (All the vanguard characters do it and only one of them is a planeswalker and it probably the weakest vanguard character because its power is really awful and this character also have a starting hand card penalty).
    Last edited by noob; 2020-09-24 at 03:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Nicol Bolas vs. Tiamat or Vecna. Whoever wins, there's plenty of losses to go around.

I just hope someday they release rules for some new "Magic Rituals".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ooh...Vecna. That's something I never considered: Would they include characters from other settings in the FR set? Imagine Strahd showing up in the set...

Actually, I was recently speaking to a colleague of mine regarding Elminster and planeswalking. Apparently, given the power Elminster has, he would be about as close to a GOD as you can get...like Spore suggested. As a Planeswalker, he would probably be in the same vein as Urza or Serra...perhaps even more powerful. If true, that could make things complicated for his introduction into MtG proper. However, Spore also mentioned losing his connection to Mystra if he leaves Toril, so that could be a balancing factor.

Still...I would love seeing Elminster as just a regular Legendary. If for no other reason than to see a Commander deck built around him.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    You do not know how planeshift works.
    Everybody in MTG summons stuff with ease including artificers (do not tell me mishra was a planeswalker: he was not but you can play mishra and summon stuff just fine).
    Maybe it summons a single use mini gate, throws you instantly through it then you did travel through planes without being a planeswalker at all.
    People are making being a planeswalker be a big deal while it is not needed at all for travelling through planes(gates) or tapping lands for power(many wizards and artificers could do it just fine) or summoning stuff (All the vanguard characters do it and only one of them is a planeswalker and it probably the weakest vanguard character because its power is really awful and this character also have a starting hand card penalty).
    I kinda have to tell it's you who seems to not know how planeshifting works anymore, in MtG.

Ever since the Mending, stuff like what Urza and Mishra did is no longer possible. Planeswalkers like Ajani and Vivian are no longer summoning the actual creatures from other planes, they conjure facsimiles and duplicates of things they're familiar with. Planar gates are extremely rare, and have a very good chance of killing you if you don't have a planeswalker spark. This is why most of the current planes in Magic are much more isolated than they used to be in old MtG - travel between planes got way, WAY harder.

As said, getting control of a singular planar gate was the entire plotline of a whole magic block recently - and Bolas, who is probably the strongest planeswalkers in the current Magic era, couldn't even send living troops through it. Instead what he did was manipulate the plane of Amonkhet, an Egypt sort of place, into making him an army of immortal metal mummy champions through centuries and send THAT through the planar gate. Can't die from planar travel if you're already dead.

As far as I know, the only current character who has figured how to actually bring someone with her when walking has been Kaya, and it seems to be limited to bringing people with her. (And then there's Jiang, who somehow has a dog and can bring it with him everywhere, but the authors generallly go "shared spark waggle hands don't think about it too closely we just wanted to have a dude with a cool dog")
    Last edited by Drascin; 2020-09-27 at 05:14 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GamemasterAnth View Post
    So...with the release of "Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica" and "Mystic Isles of Theros", we now have two of the major realms of Magic now playable in D&D.
    EBBERON - The newest of the settings, and one that brought intrigue and Warforged to D&D.
    A few corrections:
    • The book is called Mythic Odysseys of Theros.
    • Eberron is spelled with one b and two r, not the reverse.
    • D&D has at least two newer settings: Nentir Vale and Critical Role.

NV was the default setting of the 4th edition. It offered much blank space, and I don't even know if the planet got a name.

CR began as a webseries, but got officialized in 5e with Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. It takes place on the planet Exandria, of which Wildemount is a continent.

Because the webseries began during 4e, CR has a lot in common with NV, such as its pantheon.
    Last edited by Millstone85; 2020-10-02 at 12:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I bet Wizards is not even going to bother adjusting the lore to connect the settings. You'll just be inexplicably playing with FR characters in your Magic deck, and damn all suspension of disbelief. How? Why? Who cares? Certainly not them.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

*sees Millstone's corrections* Yikes...I derped that entire post, didn't I?

Hmmm...The Nentir Vale thing does bring up an interesting point, especially since it has connections to Critical Role and Wildemount. Could we see a CR based set as a future set? There's a part of me that definitely wants if for no other reason than to see Tarryon Darrington as a Legendary Creature with abilities connected to Artifacts...with Dodi as an Legendary Artifact Creature.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    I kinda have to tell it's you who seems to not know how planeshifting works anymore, in MtG.

Ever since the Mending, stuff like what Urza and Mishra did is no longer possible. Planeswalkers like Ajani and Vivian are no longer summoning the actual creatures from other planes, they conjure facsimiles and duplicates of things they're familiar with. Planar gates are extremely rare, and have a very good chance of killing you if you don't have a planeswalker spark. This is why most of the current planes in Magic are much more isolated than they used to be in old MtG - travel between planes got way, WAY harder.

As said, getting control of a singular planar gate was the entire plotline of a whole magic block recently - and Bolas, who is probably the strongest planeswalkers in the current Magic era, couldn't even send living troops through it. Instead what he did was manipulate the plane of Amonkhet, an Egypt sort of place, into making him an army of immortal metal mummy champions through centuries and send THAT through the planar gate. Can't die from planar travel if you're already dead.

As far as I know, the only current character who has figured how to actually bring someone with her when walking has been Kaya, and it seems to be limited to bringing people with her. (And then there's Jiang, who somehow has a dog and can bring it with him everywhere, but the authors generallly go "shared spark waggle hands don't think about it too closely we just wanted to have a dude with a cool dog")
    Why would the dnd in magic setting it be post mending?
    You can put all the modern magic stuff with time travel (since it is a thing in both dnd and mtg if you look at specific enough places)
    Or maybe dnd wizards that cast planeshift instantly travel through time and then in pre mending era travel through planes then travels again through times the other way around.(you can justify this time travel as being easier to do because of the instant time reversion thus avoiding past changing)
    All you need is to classify all the regular dnd planes as being chronologically unstable and thus allowing time travel for people willing to exploit it.
    TLDR: mtg and dnd are so full of nonsense it is trivial to find justifications for absolutely everything and the mending is a big deal only for the people that are stranded post mending in chronologically stable planes.
    Last edited by noob; 2020-10-04 at 05:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I can't help but wonder if Zendikar Rising's "party" mechanic is a practice run for the Forgotten Realms set, it just feels sort of wrong to have introduced the idea of forming "adventuring parties" with your creatures, then NOT use that mechanic in the D&D themed set.

The "level up" mechanic from Rise of the Eldrazi would also fit a D&D set too now that I think about it
    Last edited by Enixon; 2020-10-11 at 11:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

I mean, Zendikar always has been basically a D&D setting.