New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The title of 1214

Should the title of 1214 be "And They're Squishier ones, too" since it is referring to the spare dwarf heads? Otherwise I don't really understand what it's trying to say.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2020-09-14 at 09:14 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: The title of 1214

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Should the title of 1214 be "And They're Squishier ones, too" since it is referring to the spare dwarf heads? Otherwise I don't really understand what it's trying to say.
    I think it works as-is.
    Looks like we have som spare dwarf heads to work with. And the squishier ones, too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    I think it works as-is.
    Looks like we have som spare dwarf heads to work with. And the squishier ones, too.
    But shouldn't that be:
    Looks like we have some spare dwarf heads to work with. And squishier ones, too.

or as the OP worded it:

Looks like we have some spare dwarf heads to work with. And they're squishier ones, too.

?

As is, I also struggle to make sense of this construction, grammatically speaking.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #4

5. - Top - End - #5

SolithKnightGuy

The meaning is the squishier type of head
    It’s a common grammatical structure in English.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I think "And the Squishier Kind, Too" would've sounded better.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

The title functions as an appositive phrase to the noun 'dwarf heads.' Just grabbing the Wikipedia definition:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Apposition is a grammatical construction in which two elements, normally noun phrases, are placed side by side, with one element serving to identify the other in a different way; the two elements are said to be in apposition.
    Basically, in English (and Latin, and many other languages), you can mention a thing, and then describe it again, often in parenthetical commas, in order to add more identification without just piling on adjectives. Or, in spoken English, because you are mentioning something and then need to include more information after the thought.

E.g., 'hand me the sword, the green one.'

Or 'My ally, Vaarsuvius, is tired.'
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    The title functions as an appositive phrase to the noun 'dwarf heads.' Just grabbing the Wikipedia definition:

Basically, in English (and Latin, and many other languages), you can mention a thing, and then describe it again, often in parenthetical commas, in order to add more identification without just piling on adjectives. Or, in spoken English, because you are mentioning something and then need to include more information after the thought.

E.g., 'hand me the sword, the green one.'

Or 'My ally, Vaarsuvius, is tired.'
    But would you use "and" in an appositive phrase?

"Hand me the sword, and the green one"?

If this were an appositive phrase I think it should be

"Looks like we have some spare dwarf heads to work with. Squishier ones, too."

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

I read the "and" part as an expression of excitement. I am not a native English speaker, so I'm probably in a minority here.

I find "the" to be natural. Perhaps it works differently in English, as I only know that in my language when speaking about something specific you use "the", and when speaking about something in general, the "the" part is omitted.
    We have 3 heads, the leftovers two are the squishier ones.

10. - Top - End - #10

SolithKnightGuy

Now we’re getting into spoken versus written English
    Spoken English often uses ‘and’ at the start of the new sentence to tie it back to the previous sentence. That’s because spoken English is obviously less structured and planned, so it naturally has pauses as people think of their next word.
    If you listen to transcripts of interviews instead of newspaper reports you’ll see what I mean as the reports usually clean things up.
    Xykon’s intent was something like ‘oh, and they are the squishier type of head as well’. But the contracted phrase is acceptable in spoken English because there’s clearly nothing else he could be talking about as the subject of that clause.
    Last edited by mjasghar; 2020-09-15 at 02:16 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I quite don't understand the title as well
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"We've got some spare heads to work with...and squishier ones, too." - These heads are squishier than the other head I was talking about

"We've got some spare heads to work with...and the squishier ones, too." - Out of all the dwarf heads that are present (of which there are three), these are the squishier ones

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfHell View Post
    I read the "and" part as an expression of excitement. I am not a native English speaker.
    It's conversational English, and, it's casual English (idiomatic, even). You grokked it properly.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

IMHO it should be "And they're squishier as well!"

15. - Top - End - #15

So I would say Rich broke several "soft rules" of English; leading to a Garden-path sentence.

1. Starting a sentence with "and"
    2. No punctuation after the "and"; there should be a comma (if it's like "additionally, ") or an explication point (if it's an interjection)
    3. Dropping the subject
    4. Dropping the copula ("are").
    5. Article disagreement: some heads / the ones
    6. Using any kind of grammatical structure the depends on close proximity of phrases in a situation where those phrases are split between two texts

I wouldn't say any of these are strictly forbidden (especially when mimicking informal speech). But all six at once is a pretty bad combo.

16. - Top - End - #16

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    So I would say Rich broke several "soft rules" of English; leading to a Garden-path sentence.

2. No punctuation after the "and"; there should be a comma (if it's like "additionally, ") or an explication point (if it's an interjection)
    3. Dropping the subject
    6. Using any kind of grammatical structure the depends on close proximity of phrases in a situation where those phrases are split between two texts

I wouldn't say any of these are strictly forbidden (especially when mimicking informal speech). But all six at once is a pretty bad combo.
    Titles generally aren't sentences so none of those rules apply.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    Titles generally aren't sentences so none of those rules apply.
    The title is a continuation of Xykon’s speech. It’s definitely (part of) a sentence.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

I've never read it as a continuation of Xykon's speech, more as the commentary of an omniscent spectator. That's why I think the title is fine because of

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    "We've got some spare heads to work with...and the squishier ones, too." - Out of all the dwarf heads that are present (of which there are three), these are the squishier ones
    Although I wouldn't parse it as one sentence.
    Last edited by Verdruss; 2020-09-19 at 03:36 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    It's conversational English, and, it's casual English (idiomatic, even). You grokked it properly.
    Thank you! I also learned a new word. Now I wonder if, say, an orc shaman named Grok, is named so on purpose.

20. - Top - End - #20

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The title is a continuation of Xykon’s speech. It’s definitely (part of) a sentence.
    OK; then most of these don't apply because it's part of a sentence and not a complete sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post

3. Dropping the subject