New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default The Imperial Hero Academy (in game)

It is morning. As you walk into the marble entryway the room is covered in shinny marble as it is lit by candles with portraits of previous headmasters and one portrait of the current emperor. The Emperor looks like an old man. With long white hair and a full beard.
    As you make your way into the great hall there is a grand marble staircase. The large room looks like it also used as a dining hall at different parts of the day. Some of you note the sine on two doors saying kitchen in and out. It is a massive room. But you know this site was once an old fortress, this part must have been redesigned over the last thousand years. As an old man comes from a side door. He bolds and has a white beard with his scholarly robes. You also notice that you are being observed form the second floor. A young man in a black gambeson. Is observing you form the shadows.
    As he the old man says. “I am Cain, I am the current head master of the academy and you would appear to be the reincarnated heroes that I am here to bring out their full potential. Sir Robert. Why don’t you come downs and explain the current situation in the capital?”

As the young noblemen with a shaved head and green eye looks at the head master. Well walking down, the grand staircase. His eye narrow as he says. “Right now, the Capital and the Empire are in a rough shape. Under normal circumstances there is a lot of infighting and jockeying for position. With the local duchies being controlled by dukes each with their own armies. The main factions the Imperial and the Nobles. With each side Tring to get more power for themselves. Now that the Emperors youngest Daughter has been assassinated. If the Emperor was to Die. As it stands the Title of Emperor would go to his eldest son Leman. But the with the Empire being divide into 3 smaller kingdoms with the other 2 siblings. All Giving their fidelity to their Older brother. The oldest is A tall strong and a good soldier but there is more than martial prowess to be a good emperor. Constantin the Emperor's second son. Well he is short, fat and a very sharp mind. Then there is his sister. Rennas, Well I know very little about her. As the son of a Duke me alone with her would be a scandal. That might get me killed. But I do know she keeps a group of young adventurers form the Adventures guild on personal retainer. All young girls, as well. And one happens to also be a member of my order. As we have trained under the same master. And what happens when I try to get to know her at balls by dancing with her, I get interested in my battle sister. And that is it for the living there has been two princesses Murdered, in the last five years. Malty and now her younger sister Mirelia. Well, I think you can see my point.
    “Then there is the incident in the village 30 miles from here. Well, it is unknown what happened, but the village was slathered every man, woman child. Hell, even the farm animals was slathered and their bodies were dumped into the lake on the night of the eclipse. But here is the thing the buildings were intact and their items were there. It makes no sense. What do you make of it.” As he watches your response.

Note For those with knowledge plans you know someone or something has sacrificed the town to summon a powerful demon or devil into the world.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The Imperial Hero Academy (in game)

After hearing the oration from Sir Robert, Merrick sighed. "Guess there won't be much time for research for a while." He thought, his gaze flicking across his companions, before resting on Sir Robert. Interesting that he gives the situation rather than the headmaster.

Far be it for me to comment on the aspirations of my "betters, Sir Robert, but it seems as though the nobility are taking advantage of an attack upon the imperial house and not seeking to aid it.

Letting his mind flick through his memory of the imperial houses 1000 years prior, he paused before asking.

Was any faction in particular promised wedding or engagements, privileges with either of the murdered princesses?

If so I'd investigate the rivals of any involved, after all killing a piece of imperial strumpet is generally considered stupid, in addition to being wasteful.

He let his words fill with a hint of mockery as he watched Sir Robert and Cain, hoping to see a bit more of their personalities or motives with the crass comment, then almost as an after thought.....

Oh and the village they were likely sacrifices for a powerful being from beyond....so yeah we might want to look into that after we're done commenting on the tantrums of nobility.
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2020-09-14 at 05:26 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Sir please give us as much information as you have so that we may determine the best course of action.

(to the party) It seems, we should investigate the place that this occurred to see if we can determine the nature of the killing or sacrifice to determine what it is that is the direct or indirect cause. Then we will be better equipped knowledge wise to handle what ever it is.
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-09-14 at 06:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo nods along with Sir Roberts' account.

Ah... sorry, do we know why the Emperor's daughters were murdered? I mean, apart threatening to divide the Empire into three parts rather than five, it doesn't seem to have made much difference? It seems a big step for someone to take, but doesn't obviously benefit any of the people you've named. Unless you can think of anything? He thinks for a moment. Unless it was by someone who seeks to take down all the heirs, or all but one, and started with them as the easiest targets. Or something specific about them, some plan, or position or allegiance, they wanted to prevent.

As for the slaughter you mentioned, it sounds like some kind of mass... sacrifice? Not sure to what purpose though. May to enable the last assassination? Or the next one?

He shrugs.

We could investigate the site of the killings, look for clues. But I suspect we really ought to find these adventurers that Rennas has assembled, and maybe compare notes? Getting to know them may be more valuable, in the long run. They may be intended to investigate the killings themselves, in which case we could tag along with them, and do both.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

A young girl who seemed to be made of brassy light drifted into the main hall with the others, her feet dragging just a few inches below the floor. She smiled, looking around at the opulent surroundings.

As Sir Roberts provides his briefling, Zeno drew feet up into a lotus in mid-air and placidly listened. After listening to the others exchange ideas, she sent a soft voice into the minds of her Academy colleagues.

*It seems clear that this is the kind of academy in which we learn by doing. Which is, I suppose, appropriate. All true knowledge is self knowledge after all.

*Before we can know what to do, it would seem worthwhile to know what we are. Although they say that we are reincarnations of the past, I have no recollections of those times. Perhaps some of you have the same disadvantage.

*My name - at least, my designation in this form - is Zeno. I am moving toward a more perfect understanding of the illusory nature of space and time, and the greater power of the mind.

*And you?*

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Adding Cunning Knowledge to each of these:

Knowledge Planes (1d20+14)[22]
    Sense Motive any hidden motives from Sir Richard (1d20+11)[12]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo shifts his tall frame upright, adjusting the copper coil that binds his long, silver white hair.

I'm Tolo. Fought in a few battles, mostly sieges and raids. Champion of all that is good, and pure, and that kinda thing. I suspect I'm here mainly as muscle, although I have my moments in other areas.

He shrugs.

I remember a lot of things, but some of it is hazy. Certainly the politics doesn't seem to have changed much. I got through a lot of political infighting during the War, your Grace, and some experience of civil conflict as well, so maybe I can help out with this.
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-09-15 at 10:17 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

WolfInSheepsClothing

Cain Smiles as he runs his hand throughout his long beard says. “I like to challenge my students. And because each student learns differently. How to bring out the max potential of a warlock, will be different from a member of Order of the Ruby Knight Vindicators. Also thought Sir Robert may be of some use to you if you chose to look into what is going on, when it comes to the situation in the capital. He could get into places as a high born, and I could not. Also, he will be one of your opponents in your test A little later. View it as something that is helping me see where you all need improvement. Given that he is not even trying to be stealthy, I don’t think he cares, so I might as well put him to use.

Robert smiles assays. “I have no problem either showing you on a map or riding with you as well as part of a larger expedition. If the town was used in a mass sacrifice then that area could have its dangers, as it is a full day’s ride from here, a camp will have to be made.

He smiles in a friendly manner as he would appear to not be hiding anything. Before continuing “For your questions of the princesses and their engagements given Mirelia due to her age, the Emperor and his advisers were keeping that information very much need to know after the assassination of Malty. Let’s just say that discretions were not her strong area as she played around with, Lots of Scions of powerful noble houses. Twelve including my older brother were in her Hunting party when it was ambushed. They were all cut down in a hail of crossbow fire. But From my Contacts, Mirelia’s death was due to a knife in the lower back, where she quickly bled out.

Chan shrugs as he says “As for the test that will have to be conducted another time as things are advanceing very fast. But if these events are a sine of the demon lords return or is trying to return to the mortal world. It would be best if we try to stop it form happening. I your choices are to go to the capital to investage the assassinations or the Villiage.”
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2020-09-19 at 12:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo raises an eyebrow.

A test? I guess that's something to look forward to.

He pushes off the wall to stand upright.

As for now? Are we closer to the Village than we would be in the Capital? I'm inclined to to go the Village first, if only so we arrive in the Capital with something to gossip about.

He glances out of the window.

Camping out again, under the stars? That's going to be strange.
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-09-19 at 05:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno drifts up a few feet and over to Sir Robert. Now her thoughts reach everyone in the room.

*It is a matter of perspective, Tolo. Perhaps we would not be under the stars, but among them. I agree that starting in the village gives us a chance to get our bearings. Thirty miles means that we can probably be there in a few hours.*

Show
    It's worth noting that, with Mindsight, Zeno is regularly scanning for minds within 100' of her that aren't accounted for (invisible, hidden, otherwise weird), or creatures that aren't of the type she'd expect (basically, any creature besides one of our team who registers as a type other than humanoid or animal).
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

George, Thinking - Zeno stay out of my head... Speaking yes let us go investigate the village it may have something important.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As for camping under the stars Tolo my friend, life is likely to be strange for all of us for a bit.

Turning to Cain -While a test sounds interesting...Merrick let his eyes drift towards the ceiling as though pondering before, returning them to the group - a sacrificial village? That is far better.

Well then, the village how do we plan on getting there? I don't have a horse now, but I think we could likely buy one and be at the village by early afternoon. Shall we check the local stables?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno nods her acknowledgement of George's request, and her thoughts come to everyone in the room except the mighty bard as she turns to Merrick.

*Merrick, shopping may not be required, if you do not wish to purchase a horse. I have a colleague waiting just outside who would, I'm certain, be happy to carry you. Would you object to riding a centaur?*

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Zeno my dear, not only do I not mind, I'd find it a fascinating prospect, we should be able to make good time, and.... Merrick closed his eyes furrowing his brow, I can have us back here in an instant should it be required. Looking at Cain & Sir Robert he added - if there is ever an emergency contacting us immediately, I will help get us back here as soon as possible, though I regret that I can make such a transference only once per day.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno nods. A simple mental message later, a rather unassuming young man in a worn shirt and pants, bare feet thick with calluses, slips in the front door. He carries a simple walking stick. The young man, stops short of the group, bowing slightly from the waist. Zeno addresses everyone except George.

*Everyone, this is my protege, Malleus. Malleus, these are our new colleagues: George, Merrick and Tolo. That gentleman over there is the headmaster, Master Cain. And the distinguished young man over there is Sir Robert.

*Malleus, we need to travel quickly to a town some 30 miles away. Would you consent to carrying a couple of us. I had thought perhaps a centaur form?*

Malleus nods, but then tilts his head.

"I am of course honoured to assist, but a centaur form doesn't leave much room on his back. Perhaps the dire wolf?"

Zeno smiles and shrugs.

*Of course! Suit yourself.*

Zeno slips back toward the floor again, and rotates to face Robert.

*This area has changed a great deal in a thousand years. Could we get directions to the village?*

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo nods, a sharp staccato gesture.

And maybe a recommendation on getting some riding lizards, or whatever it is you use around here?

He seems more alert now, as if having a purpose has lit something within him.

I guess we'll have fresh air, as well, and grass...

He glances around, and straightens, as if making a decision.

No time like the present. Which way should go, and who do we report to on our return?
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-09-22 at 05:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

WolfInSheepsClothing

Cain nods as he says “Yes the village of Tristram. (I know bad Diablo Reference) Yes. Take the main kings road south. till you get to the crossroads then take the road to Darkhold. You should go thought Tristram before you reach Darkhold. But given what happened to Tristram with so many unburied dead you will know when you arrive. The smell should give it way. As for mounts you could to the stables. And get a horse for the stable master. We use horses in this part of the the empire. But find out what you can. And come back Here I am interested in learning what you find out. But if there is no word in a few days. I will send Robert with his team to see what happened. Or do you want him and his team with you.”

Robert stays quite watching your response.

Also with Mindsight you can detect the presence of creatures in the lower levels that are out of place like Summons magical bests for example.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno pauses, as if catching the whiff of an exotic scent, and glances over at Cain with a raised eyebrow. She sends to him.

*You, sir, have some very eccentric tastes in dinner guests.*

Malleus speaks slowly and thoughtfully.

"If you are taking horses, then I should not take on a predator form. Hmm."

Zeno's thoughts reach everyone in the room except George.

*I have no objections to having Sir Robert join us, but it sounds like he may have more pressing issues at court, what with the assassination and all. Malleus, perhaps the holy charger? I leave it to your discretion. I'm going to get to know our new digs a bit. I'll meet you at the stables by the time you can have your horses saddled.*

Attempting to distil her message for the member of the team who did not wish Zeno to speak with him, she simply turned to George and waved cheerfully. And then sank into the floor.

Show
    Malleus will join the others in walking down to the stables, then turn into a dire horse once they're ready to go.

Zeno will attempt to drift down into the basement to have a look around, without trying to get too close to anything. She is curious as to what's being kept downstairs, whether they're intelligent, and whether they're being held against their will - so she'll ask them, if possible.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo shrugs.

I don't see the need to trouble Sir Robert, unless he particularly wants to come. Let's go then.

He nods to Malleus.

I'll ask for one that's not too skittish. I doubt the basic design of horses has changed that much. By your leave, my lords?

He gives a swift, but deep, bow, and starts heading out, whistling softly to himself.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

turning and bowing George heads out to the stables to find a suitable mount. while waiting for the others

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Merrick looked to either side as he sat on the horse the stables had lent him. "Shall we head out? I see no need for Sir Robert to accompany us, we should get going if we are to make the village by morning."

21. - Top - End - #21

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: Zeno
    Show

As you go down to the next room you are in a hallway. The rooms are made of stone and to your left is a door. That is open. And inside is a workshop for making constructs. To the Right is another Door and inside. You see spell components and there are two people. And on the table is Celestial Dire Bagger. The Bagger is sitting up looking at the two.
    As one Starts to read form a book saying. “The Dire Bagger is that can be summoned form the summon monster three spells. Is a common summon for this class when digging is required. Also is a strong option for a creature to summon in combat to assist an ally as this creature is a good flanker. Any questions?”
    It would appear that this is a lesson on summoning monsters.

The rest of the party. As the rest of you lead to the stables by Cain. As you see that it is a very large facility capable of housing a lot of mounts of various sizes. As see inside a tall half naked man. He has the build of a blacksmith. You are introduced to John the stable master. As he says “Hi, I am the stable master here. I also run a side business, as an animal tamer and breeder. Focusing on mostly mounts. So, how can I help you today?”

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

George speaking up.. Why yes John fetch my horse and saddle him up if you would.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo gives a lazy salute.

Hi. I'm looking for a boring sensible mount, suitable for an infantry captain. One of my companions is planning on bring some kind of big dog along, and I'd rather not spend too much time chasing after him when I inevitably fall off. Not planning on wearing armour - it looks way too sunny out there for that - or carrying heavy loads, but I'm six foot, and carrying an infantry pack. Lizard, horse, dog, whatever you've got that works.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno smiles faintly at the variations in human speech, which sometimes render words like 'badger' and 'dodger' into words like 'bagger' and 'dogger'. Much fun!

Content that the school was not, at least, housing some sort of menagerie of eccentricities - one in which she would be as likely to be on the inside looking out as the opposite, Zeno drifted out of the school and rejoined the others at the stables.

Meanwhile, Malleus had glanced around at the others, trying as it were to read the room. Eventually, he bent over and grew into the shape of a delicate oatmeal-coloured pegasus.

"If something is out there trashing villages, it might be useful to have an aerial scout as we travel."

Zeno pops up and smiles at him.

*Very thoughtful. Shall we?*

Sliding a slim black stick out of her shoulder bag, Zeno offers it to Malleus, who takes it delicately into his mouth. Floating over him, Zeno takes hold of the ends that protrude from his mouth. Zeno hops on and sends to the group.

*An instructor was just engaging in a private lesson in summoning. Nothing to be concerned about right now.

*We'll try to keep an eye out from above. If you need us to come down, just think it at me.*

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Malleus is settling on a pegasus form. This will allow them to circle about 60' overhead as the group progresses, watching out for any surprises.

Because Zeno is incoroporeal, she can't normally 'ride' a corporeal creature. But all of her gear is Ghost Touch, allowing it to be manipulated both by corporeal and incorporeal creatures. So I'm picturing her using her wand as a kind of handlebar. She literally weighs nothing, so she shouldn't slow Malleus down at all.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

George wandering over to zeno as he waits on his horse. Zeno I do not bite, you can talk to me. I just like my thoughts to be mine. slapping zeno on the back in a good natured way.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno smiles apologetically as George's hand passes through Zeno's slender form and smacks Malleus' flank. The pegasus' wings flare outward in surprise. Zeno speaks only to George.

*My apologies for the mindspeech. I'm afraid that moving the air with my throat takes concentration, and I'm a bit out of practice.

*Might I say that I love your style? That's a terrific jacket. And I take your kind words to heart, and look forward to working with you. I can send my thoughts to you and try to remember not to look into your prodigious mind for responses. Deal?*

Zeno waits for a sign in return. She squints a bit, and a gentle, if slightly amorphous, form seems to press in on George's right hand. A loose approximation of a handshake, anyway. Her thoughts expand to include all of her companions.

*Off we go, then?*

Malleus takes four increasingly speedy strides and takes to the air.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-09-30 at 11:19 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

WolfInSheepsClothing

John nods as he listens to the group. Then nods as he turns around and goes into the sable. As a short time, he brings out some horses and a footpad giant lizard. And some provisions for the lizard. As he says to Tolo “I am not sure why you would want a pack animal. As yes drow do come to the capital often and having a few I will sell them the odd Footpad giant lizard.”

As you head out the road is straight forward. As there is about a good 60 ft clear form any trees to any side of the main road. About a couple of hours later you go to a forested area and the crossroads. And you see an odd sight six female goblins carrying a pole with a scrawny man and a lote on his back.

As soon as the man sees you he cries “Help. Help. These goblins are going to eat men. but I am just skin and bones. Please help a wandering bard.”

One of the females make a gesture as the bad then goes quite and then snores. As she says in goblin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    “I have never heard a male so whine in my hole life. Are you sure it is a male human?”

As the group stops but the leader. Saying in goblin

Spoiler
    Show
    “We claim. He now ours. As humans have come and killed off all of your clan's males so we take him. Yes. He will like our plans for him. To rebuild clan. Maybe even give him a good meal if does his job good.”

how the bard is tied
    https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/two-...e-20681659.jpg

what some of the golins look like.
    https://img2.gelbooru.com/images/1e/...5961db672.jpeg

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Waving from his horse - Merrick calls out to the goblins (in goblin) -

Spoiler: Response in Goblin
    Show
    Fair enough my friends, my apologies he is the best you were able to acquire he does seem overly whiney.

Turning back to to the members at hand he asks: "Are goblins still not considered equal among the races yet?" Why have their clans been reduced so?

He makes to continue and leave the goblins and their trussed up friend to their own devices.

29. - Top - End - #29

WolfInSheepsClothing

The lead goblin looks at Merrick. As she rolls her eyes with a hand on her hip saying.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, I blame the late Boss. Skarsnik he made some deal with the were rats in the capital. doing trade. Drugs for gold and slaves. Always female larger female humanoids like humans and elves. I think he viewed them as trophies. Then he Skarcnik grew very bold. Raiding caravans for profits. I guess it was only a matter of time until some adventures came. slaughtered the clan Now we have to rebuild."

Note owning slaves is illegal in the Empire. That and working with a criminal syndicate was bound to end badly for the goblins.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno and Malleus

Zeno was delighted that racial equality had progressed in the past millenium to the point that goblins could carry human slaves around in an egalitarian fashion, but she was less content with the enslavement in principle. She sends downto all above from above.

*Much as I delight in this charming banter, I'm afraid that your enslavement is contravening contemporary social mores in a manner that we cannot ignore. Perhaps you would reconsider?"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Let's see if we can resolve this quickly and without bloodshed.

Zeno is monitoring the scene below with Mindsight. If the goblins read as a creature type other than humanoid, she shares this information with her colleagues. If they goblins DO register as humanoid, then Zeno will attempt to Dominate the six goblins. ase 2 points, plus 8 for four more targets. Will DC 26 negates. She will instruct anyone who falls under her control to set down the human and start to untie him.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-10-03 at 07:09 AM.