New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: The Imperial Hero Academy (in game)

Tolo looks around. Suits me. They're gearing up for some kind of wake, I think, but better we have an early start tomorrow.

He stands. I'll take first watch. My armour spell should last that long. And I really need to get some stretches in before I sleep.

He seems a little subdued. Or possibly just tired.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You make camp out side of the town. The night was quite. To quite, for this time of year but after and unnerving night it eventually will be come dawn.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

as dawn arrives George wakes, donning his armor and preparing for the new day as the others are getting ready.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Malleus takes first watch, simply standing by the horses and keeping a lookout, hoping his troll form was as likely to scare away intruders than actually make him better at spotting them.

Before the end of the evening, Zeno enters a trance-like state, literally sending her mind out into the universe in search of answers. She then spends some time sleeping drifting in midair. The rest seems to have done wonders to shake off some of the horrors of yesterday.

*We're agreed, then? We'll head to the capital first, to report our findings, and then try to determine where this Herald's next target might be?*

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Knowledge checks, I suppose, to determine whether Zeno has heard of that dragon hatchery.

Before turning in, she will manifest divination, asking the question "Where will Mordukhavar the Reaver attack next?"

In the morning, she will manifest again, asking the question "When will Mordukhavar the Reaver attack next?"

Both manifestations are 80% accurate.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

He waves his hand. Yes, back to the capital. Unless we hit some kind of trail or clue to find this Herald on out way back. They need to know what's going on.

---

Tolo settles down for the night. He too, has questions.

But his questions are possibly a little differently aligned.

And he settles down to sleep, he wonders if the advice he has received is useful. Or can even be trusted.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Casting divination
    "What course of action in the morning will best help establish me as a good person"

It's possibly too general a question to get a useful response. But he can try.
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-12-22 at 06:05 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

agreed we must report our findings

7. - Top - End - #97

WolfInSheepsClothing

You see a vision of the dragon going south based on the warmth around him and the plants form a wormer clement as he attacks a small whale for the day's meal. In a bay, the whale did not have a chance as it was like a bear pouncing on a fish.

As you ride out for most of the day you will pass the academy.

About an hour later you see some fortified buildings on a hill. With the heraldry on the flags being that of Sir Robert. The is a large group of mounted people about 40 in total with a carriage. As you see Sir Robert ride out alone to meet with them. As you also notice that the charge has the Heraldry of the Imperial royal family.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Malleus spirals down to ground with Zeno in tow. In order to better fit into the current time and place, Zeno focuses, and becomes an elegant older woman in well tailored riding clothes, and now looks much more distinguished, more respectable, and much, much more opaque. She dismounts Malleus and looks over at her companions.

"This looks like a great opportunity to inform, well, some member of the mucky-mucks. Shall we?"

Unless there's an objection, Zeno does a reasonable job of simulating walking toward the carriage. She is careful to keep her hands visible, and she looked unarmed, so hopefully, the guards won't be concerned.

As they approach, Zeno sends to Sir Robert.

*Sir Robert? It's Zeno, from the Academy yesterday. We bring news from the village that you sent us to investigate. I'm not sure who's in the coach. Would this be a good opportunity share our findings?*
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo follows up behind, automatically falling into step Zeno, as if a guard or henchman. A decorative, unarmoured swordsman, with an unnecessarily large sword, he looks every inch the kind of person a magus might keep around to handle jobs that involve brawn.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

George bringing up the rear singing a happy tune, ever vigil watching out for anything odd.

11. - Top - End - #101

WolfInSheepsClothing

Robert looking at the carriage replies "In the carriage is Rennas, For some reason, she has packed up her self up and her main court and left the capital. Coming out here for some reason. If it is ok for now, I will have you guys wait on telling me what happened at the town. My residents are the large centre building at the top of the hill with the town. Also, you might find in the wine cellar, the older spirits catalogue in the back an interesting read."

As dismounts and enters the carriage. And after a few moments he the gates open up and the procession enters the walls. Thought the main gates. As you make your way thought the first gate house you notice that the small court yard is a well desined kill box. As you go thought another gatehouse. as you noticed that it is small well fortified town with two roads one going noth and the other going east. You notce that there is a tavern to the north and you happed to spot someone you meet yesterday on of the female gobins sitting by the window drinking.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

Zeno is delighted that this is an opportunity to meet Princess Rennas and weighs that a demon invasion capable of obliterating an entire town is an excellent reason to supercede protocol. When Robert tries to slough them off to report later, she smiles, and sends to him.

*I do apologize, Sir Robert, but this is a matter of significant urgency. And the Princess - indeed, the entire royal family - should know right away.*

She gestures for her colleagues to join her at the carriage, and steps up to the carriage door. To go with her solid appearance, she tries out an actual speaking voice.

"Highness. I am sorry for the loss of your sister.

"My name is Zeno, and these are George, Tolo and Malleus. We were investigating the mass sacrifice in the town of [name], just a few hours ride [direction] of here. We have learned that there is now a herald from the Abyss is trying to bring Tiamat into this world.

"There are a number of special locations that they'll need to access in order to make this happen. To prevent it, we'll need research and the opportunity to consult with the most learned at court. We'll need to mobilize forces to defend these locations, and set up rapid communication to help send for reinforcements if the demons come.

"Please, forgive the impertinence of this, but three of us have first-hand experience with fighting demons, and frankly, you're going to need our help.

"So...if you could provide advice on who to speak with at court - the imperial librarians, seers, generals, whatever forms you've adopted - we can get started on saving the world."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+19)[39]

Sense Motive on Robert, to see if there's anything suspicious about his effort to push us aside for now: (1d20+6)[7]

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo is a good bodyguard, saying nothing.

Instead his eyes wander over the retinue, looking for anything out of place

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Sense Motive(1d20+8)[25]

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

George maintaining his cheerful tune, and about 30ft of distance from his furthest ally, looking out for potential trouble.

15. - Top - End - #105

WolfInSheepsClothing

Inside the Carriage and 200xp for all.

Inside the Carriage, you see sir Robert and three ladies. One is (Is a taller woman in the robes of a priestess of wejas. (Just image wiz from konosuba in red instead of purple with red hair) the second. A smaller girl with long blond hair blue eyes in a blue and white dress. And three third is a female knight (just image Darkness in ruby red and black armour.

The princess looks surprised. As she looking at Robert “I take it there is a reason you wanted to talk about this topic behind closed, doors?”

Robert calmly bows as he replies “I did not want the general population to find out just yet as there will be a panic and riots. My Lady.”

She nods say “You are right to be fearful.”

With the smile coming off like a mask her smiling soft deminer changes. To that of a very cold and calculating deminer as she gets very serious. As she says. “I take it to, you also just used magic I guess the control sound spell to keep what is going on not leaving this Carriage?”
    Robert only nods as she turns her gaze on Zeno as she says “Tell me every little detail.”

Outside the cart.
    If you can detect magic you notice the spell if not there is an odd science around the carriage as the horses move and should be making noise but there is no sound. As some of the Imperial soldiers are looking at the situation and starting to circle the waggon. With some looking at it says “What in hell is going on in there?”

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf69 View Post
    Outside the cart.
    If you can detect magic you notice the spell if not there is an odd science around the carriage as the horses move and should be making noise but there is no sound. As some of the Imperial soldiers are looking at the situation and starting to circle the waggon. With some looking at it says “What in hell is going on in there?”
    Why my good man a meeting is taking place, I am sure all inside are safe and sound.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

Zeno gestures for George and Malleus to join them inside the sound bubble, or, if they don't, summarizes the conversation for them telepathically.

"Highness, I'm happy to provide whatever details I can. Sir Robert, it is not panic if your life is actually in jeapardy, am I not right?"

She doesn't talk about the trio's past association from a millenium ago, or the involvement of the academy, but otherwise holds nothing back from her description of the events of the past 24 hours.

"Highness, we are at the empire's service in fighting this menace. Any guidance you can provide in contacting the learned, the generals, the bureaucracy to mobilize against this threat would be much appreciated."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

seeing Zeno gesturing George thinks loudly, better we have eyes out here to keep a look out for trouble. then as details are given telepathically, George continues his vigil outside watching for anything that looks like trouble

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo nods along to the account, but doesn't add anything.

20. - Top - End - #110

WolfInSheepsClothing

In the carriage.
    The princess looks at the priestess, the priestess only says “Well she is in the zone of truth and I did not detect a lie from her.”
    The princess smiles lie and in a calm manor says “Well so much for going over the vassal contracts. And finding out, why it would appear that your lands are preparing for war. This is a lot of information to take in perhaps. It would be best if we take this inside. And without the spells.” Looking at the two of them.

As the magic of control sound and zone of truth go down As the gates open there is a purple tint in the air. As Robert gets out only saying this is not good in 2 days time there will be a demonic raid on the area. Zeno, George and Tolo. I know I am asking much of you but when the demonic raid comes will you help me hunt down and kill their leader It should stop the raid. I will have riders go out and evacuate the out-line villages. As the priestess and the female knight stand behind Robert. They are also having their eyes narrowed as they don’t like what they are seeing. My plan is very forward two teams will try to hunt down and kill the monster keeping the portal open.

As the female knight says “We will also send a rider to the capital for reinforcements were one rider might not be noticed I would rather be in that fortified city then in the open.”

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

Zeno is relieved when the auras of secrecy and truth are dropped - far better to actually trust each other.

Sir Robert's news is, of course, less welcome.

"Our information was that the Herald would need to conduct rituals in half a dozen locations before the summoning would appear. Could I ask you the source of your information about the two days?"

She examines the purple haze with open curiosity.

Show
    Spellcraft (1d20+9)[20] on the purple haze.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo shrugs.

I will help with any good cause. Killing their leader should certainly be that.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

George thinking after Zeno relays the information- Well if there is a thing that needs done to stop this great summoning we should not spend much more time here and get about to the business of stopping this thing

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

Zeno shares George's thoughts with the group and then adds her own.

*I quite agree, but I do have questions. If I understood the Butcher correctly, there is a horde of demons flitting amongst six, was it six?, anyway, a number of locations, enacting rituals that would bring about the coming of Tiamat here on this world. If we believe him, and it would be very difficult for him to have lied to us while under mental control, then our next course of action would have seemeed to be to identify or divine the location of these six sites, and go there to try to stop them.

*But what Sir Robert seems to be articulating, on the basis of a purple glow, is that there will be some kind of raid by the demons in two days time. Presumably the leader that he speaks of is the herald that Butcher spoke about. Knowing the timing for the next attack is useful, but we still need to figure out the place. Hence trying to set up meetings with the learned here in the city, and trying to gain access to their libraries. But if Sir Robert, clearly a man of hidden talents, can determine from the purple glow the location as well as the timing of this attack, then we can indeed skip all of the research and go straight to laying a demon ambush.*

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo nods, but seems unconvinced.

So, this Herald of Tiamat, is loose on the world. He was summoned here, at this place, at this time. Presumably he has a task to complete. If there are six locations, either this place we've just cleaned up is one of them, or close to one of them. The Herald could have headed straight to their rendezvous to open the first gate and let in more demons.

Robert appears to know when and where this will happen. We head for that location, and either find the Herald, or thwart the opening of the gate. There was no sign of a gate being opened here, unless the presence of the Butcher counts?

The problem is that the Herald is supposed to be shapeshifter. Which means it is entirely likely that at some point we'll meet him in the guise of one the people we just met, or one of their guards. We need to be... careful.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

*There's some good news on that front. My telepathic abilities include the ability to sense certain characteristics about an individual. If someone we come close to is a demon, they'll register to me as different than a regular human or gnome or whatever, without even knowing that I've sensed that. And I'm sure that the DM universe will let me know if we ever come across something like that. Still, we will indeed need to be careful. Hence my questions to Sir Robert now.*

Throughout this long exchange among them, Zeno's gaze has not wavered from Sir Robert, from whom she is still expecting an answer to her question.

27. - Top - End - #117

WolfInSheepsClothing

Knowledge Arcane. yes cults or demon infiltrators can use rituals to bring in raiding forces to raid the surrounding areas but the monsters will be linked to a raid leader and if some on were to kill the raid leader all the remaining monster will be send back to the lower plains. it is a complex ritual that requires mostly time and fiendish creatures on the other side willing to do the raiding. As well as sacrifices. over a three day time with the purple skies being noticeable in the area of the raid visible after day 2.

Robert looks at Zeno as he smiles saying "We many have bad records of the great demonic war the lizard men of the deep south made there accounts on gold tablets. my Grand Father had taken the time to bring some temple cities into the empire and on of there high priests. read me some of the tablets. Also it would make military logic that to distract the empire form putting into the field massive armies, and fortifying as many of key locations as possible. That they would do raids to throw us of guard and let the infighting of nobles more invested in defending there own holding take over. Were my family has taken it to do what can be done to save as many as possible we have been under scrutiny for having other motives. Perhaps you would like the meet some of my delegation that was meant to try to convince the princess of what is going on. Thought the enemy my be doing us a favour of doing that as well."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

It takes a few moments of blinking for Zeno to sift through Sir Robert's blithely colonialist rhetoric to get through to the heart of what he was saying. If he already knew what was going on and had a delegation ready, why in the world hadn't he told them yesterday morning?

"Okay. So you've developed an early warning system for demonic raids. But it doesn't identify a location for those raids."

She takes advantage of the fact that she, at least, can stroke the vein that seemed to be demanding attention at her temple. Then she glanced over at her colleagues.

*I guess that this delegation of Sir Robert's is our best place to start.*

She turns back to the nobles with a determined smile.

"Yes. Let's talk some more."

29. - Top - End - #119

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rob Motions the group to mount up as they were going into the town.

https://www.deviantart.com/n-horizon...Dhal-833149252

As you make your way around you notice that there are lots of non-humans in the town. Elves dwarves gnomes and other races that are not common in the area. As you ride Robert points out that this town is normally a stopover stop for trade caravans making there way to the capital. But also to save time. Imperil custom enforcements have western caravans stop here as well to inspect their cargo for contraband.

As you go around the city you notice that it is circular as he informs you that his manor is in the middle of town. As ride up to the manor some on takes the mounts as you make your way inside. There you see the group lined with 4 towering lizardmen. There scaled bodies looking very out of place as a smaller one was behind them.
    https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...pg?format=750w
    She smaller as she was pushing her way to the front before bringing her clawed hand together and lowering her gaze before saying “Everything is prepared my lord.”

With a nod from Robert, they make there way inside as The princess makes her way beside Robert. Saying “What are you planning”
    Robert smiles saying How to save as many lives as possible.”

As inside with six maids on either side of them the group Robert assembled as diverse to say the least with Elves, dwarfs, gnomes, lizardmen and two red-skinned ogres and some half-orcs were standing agents the wall as you also notice something is admis as three humans back row the shadow is a vampires. The three vampires were female as they dressed like elegant ladies of the court. There was also a group of were creatures there.
    The princess says all this to convince me that the lizardmen’s prophecies is coming to pass. Well, the purple sky is also a nice touch and yes I think there is a threat to empire do you have a plan. To hunt down and remove the threat.

Robert says “Not yet. But Zeno is right we need to find his objectives.” As he looks at the lizardmen says “Liftshertail, Does the tablets saying anything that might help”
    The small lizardmen replies “No my lord.”

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno is intrigued by the sheer variety of races and cultures represented in Sir Robert's coterie. Fascinating. The amount of effort involved in trying to assemble so diverse a group is, in and of itself daunting. In the spirit of 'trust but verify', Zeno uses one of her most powerful mind powers to scan the crowd, confirming that everyone was indeed who they seemed to be.

As the lizardfolk scholar admits to coming up empty in his/her understanding of what would happen next, Zeno speaks softly.

"I see. Please do talk amongst yourselves, then. I will see if my talents can shed light. I will need a few minutes."

'Sitting' down with her back to a wall in the room, Zeno begins to focus inward.

Show
    Through a combination of a +19 spot modifier, manifesting True Seeing (suppressing signs of manifesting), and using mindsight to learn the creature type and approximate intelligence of every creature in the room, Zeno is trying to make sure that everyone there is what they seem to be. She doesn't care if you're a vampire, but does care if you're a doppelganger pretending to be a hobgoblin. Or a super-genius pretending to be a menial servant.

She is then manifesting Divination, mentally asking the question "Where will the demons serving Tiamat strike next?" She has an 80% chance of getting an accurate answer to a divination in normal circumstances. It takes Zeno ten minutes to manifest this ability.