New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: The Imperial Hero Academy (in game)

george picking at his instrument, singing a light tune

inspire courage, ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls

fascinate (2 targets the lead goblin and which ever other looks the strongest ) a Perform check. His check result is the DC for each affected creature’s Will save against the effect.
    (1d20+17)[35]

Never Outnumbered use Intimidate to demoralize and affect all enemies within 10 feet that can see you.
    (1d20+18)[23]

Haunting Melody enemies within 30 feet of you. Any opponent in range must succeed on a Will saving throw (DC 21) or become shaken for 10 rounds, This is a mind-affecting fear effect

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The mind dominated goblins drop the bard. As if he was just some trade goods. As they cut his bonds. As they look at you with blank stares, as the effects of Haunting Melody. Kicks in and they look like they are shaken and could easily be sent off routed at this point.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

to the party while playing: well gents shall i send them on their way?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo, reaching for the sword across his back, lets his hand fall back down again.

We don't have the time or equipment or even the authority to arrest them. I think scaring them and sending them on their way is probably the best we can hope for.

He leans forward, and adds seriously.

Of course we could eat them? But I'm still full from the last group we ran into. Couldn't manage any more. Best let them go.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Singing to the goblins: I am hear to tell you that I am bad to the bone, and if you want to see the morning light you ought to run out of sight!
    Intimidate (1d20+18)[24] , Perform (1d20+19)[39]
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-10-03 at 07:03 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

WolfInSheepsClothing

You send the goblins running away in terror into the woods. And continue on your way.

(well no Treasure, but I will give you all 1000 XP)

As you approach the town of Tristram it is late afternoon. From the air, it looks like ruins of a town with the smaller buildings being burned out and one larger building in the centre looking in better condition. For those on the ground. As you get your first sighting form a hill you sense of smell is assaulted with the stench of decay and death. As the area is covered with flies as you hear a constant droning sound of buzzing. As you see a reddish blackfish pond with the bodies of animals and humans butchered before you. As the town looks like it has been burned out and a shell of what it was. and you also see what looks like a temple of Pelor with 5 bodies impaled and flayed. the area looks like a horrific sight.

Spoiler
    Show

Just try to imagian the red lake sceen form berzerk with a town in the background.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXcO2FzU...g&name=360x360
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2020-10-03 at 02:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo reins in his mount.

Charming little spot. I was really enjoying the trip up until now...

With practiced ease he wraps a piece of cloth around his nose and mouth to keep out the flies, tying it off just under the copper coil that keeps his pony tail in place. He loosens his sword.

I'm inclined to leave our nobles steeds here. His voice is clear, but strangely distorted by the improvised mask. Scavengers will have already picked over the outermost corpses, so I suggest we start with the descrated temple and the flayed impaled corpses, and then quarter the area out from there if we don't find anything. It would be useful to keep a watch while we search, so anyone who doesn't fancy wading through stacks of corpses could maybe find a suitable vantage point to warn us of trouble?

He pauses.

If it gets a bit much, I'd suggest trade off with a watcher. It's a big site, so there'll be plenty of time for everyone to get a turn.

Tolo turns back to the scene of blood and devastation.

Thought I might get a break from this sort of thing. I swear, the more time passes the more things stay the same.

Spoiler: Buffs
    Show
    Extended greater mage armour (12 hours, started on departure)(SpC)
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-10-04 at 05:50 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

As the goblins take off into the woods, Zeno asks Malleus to circle to checks on the health and wellbeing of the kidnapped human.

*You're going to be all right walking back to town on your own? I'm afraid that we've got to continue on our way.*

Unless the man immediately protests, she and Malleus take to the sky again.

--

As the group reaches Tristram, Zeno mourns, weeping silently at the sight of the carnage. It takes a bit of silent circling for her to regain the power of speech and send down to her colleagues. She mentally nods at Tolo's suggestions.

*Tolo is very wise. Malleus can watch from overhead, if it comes to that. First - we'll go and check the town for signs of life. Then I'll come help with the detailed search.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    With mindsight and a quick spiral pattern, it shouldn't take her more than a few minutes to confirm if there are any signs of life in the town - and what kind of life that might be.

If there are no creatures in the town, Zeno will leave Malleus circling overhead and will come down to join the search for answers. She will manifest Synesthesia (sensing light through her skin to give +4 to spot) to assist.
    Spot: (1d20+23)[39]
    Search: (1d20+26)[39]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

getting down from his horse george casting detect magic to aid in his search scanning as he goes, He starts looking about and heads over towards the temple of Pelor searching for clues listening for the unusual

10. - Top - End - #40

WolfInSheepsClothing

Using mindsight you detect something ominous inside the church.

Also for those using detect magic, there are two places it is coming from the church. And in a side ally were the slumped over corpses of what looks to be infight between cultists have left some dead in an ally way but there are 5 magic swords. The ten men look like there were two camps those that had hides and goat-headed masks. And the other that wore more common close and had masks made from old burlap sacks. As you review the area you find four flails and 10 dagger and 2 short bows with 30 arrows. A pitiful group if dead cultists if ever.

As you examine the bodies of the impailed bodies indaviguals, there is something odd they all have deep chest wounds as if they had there chest caved in with a large axe. Also, all of them have holy silver neckless devoted to Heironeous.
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2020-10-17 at 08:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

As she drifted down to search with the others, Zeno reports on their initial circuit.

*There's definitely something still lurking in the temple, but if it's still here, we might as well keep looking for clues on our way there.*

She does not seem all that interested in the weapons, but intrigued by the holy symbols of Heironeous.

*I don't understand. Has some kind of holy war broken out between the followers of Pelor and Heironeous? I've only seen those faiths cooperate in times past. And what religion wears goat masks? Fascinating*

As the group got close to the temple, Zeno calls Malleus down to join them, and he morphs again, taking the form of a hook-nosed monster with clumps of black hair on green skin. Zeno pulls out the same stick that she had used to ride Malleus. She points with it to a direction within the temple.

*The presence I'm sensing is about a hundred feet in that direction. I'll monitor and let you know as we're getting closer. I'll just be underfoot.*

Show
    Knowledge Religion to try to identify a god whose worshippers are most likely to be wearing hides and goat masks. Using an inspiration point for Cunning Knowledge (1d20+14)[28]

Malleus is taking the form of a Cave Troll (MM3 pg 177).

Once they're within about 100' of the presence in the temple, Zeno will slide underground and use the wand to turn invisible. She'll count off 20' increments to the others as they approach the whatever it is.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

George noticing the "magic" coming from these swords spends a few rounds observing them , then collects all the other things and packs them over to where his horse is for now as loot to be sold later on.

Hey look at these swords they are magical in nature and some have various auras, if we want to spend a few hours I can identify them here or we can wait until we get back, what do you think ? I also noticed a magical aura coming from the church over there we should use caution going in there
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-10-17 at 03:58 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

*I would suggest taking them for examination later, but that we focus on exploring this temple, and then the other village, first. Lots of time for more careful examination at the end of the day, perhaps.*

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

George thinking your probably right.

packing the stuff up on his horse then turning to follow Zeno towards the church

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

From the church eh?

Tolo glances churchward, and carefully draws his sword.

Let's see then...

With his other hand he draws out a necklace of old, thin bones, each carved with twisted runes. He rolls his eyes skyward for a moment while he rattles them around in his hand, and then splays them out before looking down.

The third, the crescent, ancient albatross, manacle, and yellow. He frowns A lot of yellow. That means....

Brow furrowed, he approaches the door to the church

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Casting Omen of Peril
    http://dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/rac...037/index.html
    81% chance of getting an accurate statement of the following
    That the next hour contains
    a) Safety
    b) Peril
    c) Grave Peril

Irrespective of the answer, he'll approach to the entrance of the church, and see if he can hear or see anything inside.
    spot (1d20+15)[21]
    Listen (1d20+3)[15]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

His brow clears

...that means we're in some danger. Well, that's good to know. He seems relieved rather than worried.

He waits, until everyone is ready, and then flings wide the door.
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-10-18 at 01:26 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

George drawing his blade, walking to the church entry area.

If there is a door check to see if locked then wait for the party and we all go in at roughly the same time

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Malleus shambles in after the others, ducking under the doorway as they proceed. Zeno drifts into the floor, invisible now, and mentally guides the rest of the group above toward the creature(s) she senses inside the temple.

*Seventy feet now...sixty...*

19. - Top - End - #49

WolfInSheepsClothing

As the group enter the church you first see some lit candles in a circle. As you look around, it is clear that the first part you are in there is a second floor above you. The doors leading up to the main worshiping area have been broken and completly distroyed. From what you can tell, you can see were the the main area of worship would be (a 14X14 5tf spots circle area) has had all the benches and that cleared. As three of the four pillers you can see that there are three bodies hanging upside down. As well as it looks like something as been drawn on the floor you will have to get closer to make a knowlege check(Knowledge Arcana and planes) And an I get a spot check form everyone.
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2020-10-20 at 10:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

George cautiously walking in looking from 10 ft away at the bodies and the circle touching nothing...

21. - Top - End - #51

WolfInSheepsClothing

George failing to see the demon ventures into the main chamber

is some form of an advanced form of Legion devil officer. You recognise him by his infamous nicknamed "The Butcher." As he is larger than average and is known to be a Berserker. He is equipped with a Magical Great axe. the other hand has a chained Hook. that he can use at medium range. He is also known to deal with enemies in combat with or with out his platoon.
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2020-10-21 at 09:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

George side stepping as The Butcher drops down from above, not wasting any time lets loose with song and step as he does he sizes up the devil then strikes.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Initiative (1d20+2)[14]

Snowflake Wardance (6/8 bardic music left for the day)

as a swift action Captivating Melody, Perform check (DC 16) (1d20+19)[35] if successful (5/8 bardic music left for the day)
    Tasha's Hideous Laughter Saving Throw: Will negates (DC 20) Spell Resistance: Yes (1d20+13)[14]

Attack roll (1d20+14)[34]
    Confirm crit 19-20x2 (1d20+14)[30]

Damage (1d6-1)[1]
    +3 Sonic

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

Zeno continues her mental reporting. Her head crests the floorboards invisibly in order to get a more complete visual.

*And...yes. Bad guy, 10 o'clock high. Seems to be some kind of legion deviil. Our old friend Butcher, if I'm putting the pieces together correctly. If we can take him alive, we have a shot at finding out what they were doing here."

Grunting his acknowledgment, Malleus sprints across the room and leaps up at the Butcher, seeking to fold him in his cave troll arms.

Show
    Initiatives:
    Zeno: (1d20+8)[10]
    Malleus (1d20+1)[16]

Malleus:
    Jump check to reach him on the second floor: 12 ranks, +8 for speed, +10 for strength. Large size and reach with his attacks, so he only needs to get to within 10' (1d20+30)[37]
    Malleus has pounce in this form, so this is a charging full attack. Because this is a demon, I'm guessing Sanctified Natural Attack and touch of Golden Ice will both come into play - his rolls reflect this, and it means all of his attacks count as magic and Good for the purposes of DR. Touch of Golden ice means that, on any successful attack, the Butcher must make a DC 14 fort save or take 1d6 Dex damage now, and save again or take 2d6 dex damage in a minute. Poison immunity does not apply.
    Malleus' claw attacks, if successful, require a DC 22 fort save or be dazed for 1 round.
    Malleus' bite attack, if successful, has improved grab. He will attempt to grapple the Butcher. It's a good thing trolls regenerate!
    Claw 1 attack: (1d20+21)[22] Base damage: (2d6+11)[17] + sanctified (1d4)[4] Touch of golden ice: (1d6)[5] dexterity damage.
    Claw 2 attack: (1d20+21)[38] Base damage: (2d6+11)[15] + sanctified (1d4)[1] Touch of golden ice: (1d6)[1] dexterity damage.
    Bite attack: (1d20+16)[27] Base damage: [roll1d6+6[/roll] + sanctified (1d4)[2], if successful initiates a grapple attempt. Opposed grapple: (1d20+22)[31]

Zeno spends 9PP to begin shaping a 5th level Astral Construct. As this is a 1 round action, it will appear at the start of her next turn. As she will ALWAYS do, Zeno is suppressing the visual signs of manifesting the power.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Merrick grinned - finally something to do!

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20-4)[15]
    Ranged Touch: (1d20+12)[28]

Spell Cast - Dimensional Anchor

I'll keep him from escaping once he's learnt his lesson.

Pointing two fingers at Butcher he let the final set of magical combinations in his mind fall into place. Taking care to avoid his allies he mutters the phrase of entrapment, and lets an emerald ray fly towards the demon.
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2020-10-22 at 11:26 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo nods. A devil. Hm.. He wasn't sure he was equipped for that. Ah well...

He takes the brief moment when he spotted the creature to sprinkle enchantment on his iron blade. Then he moves to the attack. His sword now glints with a pure gleam shadowed in the blade, and crackles with flashes of lightning.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    I'm a little confused as to where the enemy is, since one character is advancing to attack him when he drops down, and the other is charging to leap up on him on the second floor. Taken literally, they'll get in each other's way. (Mallus can't charge through George, George can't hit if Mallus is engaging out of his reach.)

However, I'm going to assume that with a move in the planning round, and a move in the first round of combat, I can climb, jump or find my way up to him, or at least jump and hit him, or hit him when he comes down or something.

With that in mind

Before combat -casting Bless Weapon, move forward

Combat begins

Initiative (1d20+2)[7]

Move to engage, Jump check if necessary (1d20+9)[25]

Attack (if I'm charging add 2) (1d20+15)[21]
    Damage (2d6+11)[16] cold iron good aligned magical damage
    plus duskblade channeling Shocking Grasp (5d6)[20] electrical damage.

If I rolled a 19 or 20 to hit, I auto confirm a crit for an extra Damage (2d6+11)[22] cold iron good aligned magical damage

26. - Top - End - #56

WolfInSheepsClothing

Order of init after the surprise round
    Malleus 16
    Merrick 15
    George 14
    Demon 13
    Zeno 10
    Tolo 7

At the end of the surprise round.
    Well As the group surprises the Devil. As Melleus Claws and grapples with the Devil. As he grunts in pain. As the two wrestles on upper area. Merrick casts his spell Dimensional Anchor. Keeping him form leavening. And the spell of Hideous Laughter takes effect putting him in a state of uncontrollable laughter.

Round one combat. As Zeno also casts his spell and the rest of you advance.

Order of initiative. for the next round.
    Malleus 16
    Merrick 15
    George 14
    Demon 13 HP 100/137
    Zeno 10
    Tolo 7
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2020-10-26 at 12:04 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno and Malleus

Malleus works to maintain his hold on the Butcher, striving to push him to the floor.

A few seconds later, a grotesque form appears on the second level next to the Butcher and malleus. It looks like a golden octopus with a series of small tentacles holding up its bulk and a pair of glittery, thick arms reaching out toward the Butcher.

*The tentacled thing is mine.* Zeno sends to her colleagues. *Thanks to Merrick, we've got a reasonable chance to hold onto the Butcher and find out what's going on here. Bravo, all!*

She watches, preparing against the possibility of his escape.

Show
    I'm assuming from your previous post that Malleus was successful in grappling The Butcher. On that assumption, Malleus will now attempt to pin The Butcher (first successful grapple), and then will attempt to disarm him (subsequent grapples)

Opposed grapple 1: (1d20+19)[23]
    Opposed grapple 2: (1d20+19)[20]
    Opposed grapple 3: (1d20+19)[27]

Zeno's Astral Construct appears next to the Butcher at the start of Zeno's action and attempts to join the grapple. Zeno instructs it to deal nonlethal damage. Standard level 5 astral construct, but with the +4 in strength power from column B. It attempts to grapple and deal non-lethal damage. It has 2 slam attacks.

Opposed grapple to join, and deal nonlethal damage if possible:

Slam 1 touch attack: (1d20+15)[31]
    Slam 1 opposed grapple: [roll]1d20+19 [/roll]
    Slam 1 nonlethal damage: (1d8+11)[18]

Slam 2 touch attack: (1d20+15)[16]
    Slam 2 opposed grapple: [roll]1d20+19 [/roll]
    Slam 2 nonlethal damage: (1d8+11)[14]

Zeno readies an action to manifest Dominate on the Butcher. Base 2 point cost (for her), +4 for affecting an outsider, +2 to make the duration 1 day. Will DC 22 negates.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-10-26 at 09:08 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well now if this isn't going beyond expectations....

Ignoring the tentacled mass "thanks Zeno, let us know if you require aid." He returned his attention to Butcher who was still entangled with Malleus.

I'm not to interested in joining that tussle, but I'm not going to make poor Malleus beat him unconscious alone.

He raised his hand fingers each extended apart.
    He let the simple incantation & magical inscription fall into place, loosing a dart of baleful purple energy from each finger and his thumb, each one flying unerringly towards Butcher.

Show

Cast: Magic Missile

Missile 1
    (1d4+1)[5] damage
    (1d20+12)[14]SR Check

Missile 2
    (1d4+1)[5] damage
    (1d20+12)[17]SR Check

Missile 3
    (1d4+1)[5] damage
    (1d20+12)[20]SR Check

Missile 4
    (1d4+1)[5] damage
    (1d20+12)[17]SR Check

Missile 5
    (1d4+1)[5] damage
    (1d20+12)[25]SR Check
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2020-10-26 at 10:17 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

WolfInSheepsClothing

Demon non-leathal damage
    HP 75/135

As you continue to pummel on the demon all he does is continue to laugh at you. Mostly due to the spell. As he has resisted the attemp to mind control him.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo continues to attack the laughing fiend. If he has any compunctions about attacking an opponent who can't fight back, they aren't showing.

Show
    Attack with two handed sword

(1d20+15)[18] for (2d6+11)[18] points of magical cold iron good damage
    If he hits add (5d6)[19] points of electricity damage, as fearsome energies crackle down the blade

Second attack
    (1d20+15)[32] for (2d6+11)[20] points of magical cold iron good damage