New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: The Imperial Hero Academy (in game)

Zeno and Malleus

As the group converges on the Butcher, Zeno exhorts her colleagues.

*Friends! Let's remember to follow George's example and find ways to subdue this fiend without killing it. We need information!*

Malleus and the octopus-thingy continue to clutch at the fiend, trying to knock it out without actually killing it.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Malleus pins and then deals nonlethal damage to the Butcher. The astral construct does the same.

Malleus:
    Opposed grapple: (1d20+19)[28] Non-lethal damage: (2d6+11)[20]
    Opposed grapple: (1d20+19)[26] Non-lethal damage: (2d6+11)[17]
    Opposed grapple: (1d20+19)[34] Non-lethal damage: (1d8+6)[8]

Astral Construct:
    Opposed grapple: (1d20+19)[34] Non-lethal damage: (1d8+11)[16]
    Opposed grapple: (1d20+19)[29] Non-lethal damage: (1d8+11)[12]

Usually, I've seen it ruled that an unconscious creatures can't make saving throws. Is that your understanding as well?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Thinking "kill the demon, kill the demon" as his blade motions to continue the spells effect

edit
    (got in an elmer fudd mood for the thought)
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-11-06 at 07:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno and Malleus

Assuming that the group are able to knock the Butcher out, Zeno sends to her colleagues.

*Give me a moment to try to establish a mental hold on the beast, and then we will see if he recovers quickly on his own. If not, do any of you have a way to heal him?*

She approaches, focusing tendrils of control on the demon's slippery mind.

Show
    Once the Butcher is unconscious, Zeno uses Dominate, augmented by 4 points to affect outsiders, and for 2 more points to last for a day.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

With the butcher now knocked out and now under your control. The question is what are you going to do with your temporary pet Demon?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

*Before you go assigning a fate to this creature, I'd like to try to get some answers about all of this seemingly senseless violence. I believe that I have hold of his mind, but demons are tricksy. Malleus, would you be so kind as to keep a physical hold as well?

*We should act quickly, to take advantage of Merrick's magic. Can anyone help with reviving him? Then we can proceed with any questions you may have.

Show
    If someone is able to revive the Butcher, Malleus will keep him pinned, just in case. Zeno will instruct him to stay where he is, use no magic, and truthfully answer any questions put to him.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

(OOC:presuming the butcher is on the ground)
    George stops his spell wandering over to where the others have gathered around the butcher.

7. - Top - End - #67

WolfInSheepsClothing

(OCC I am going to just bend the rules on this one to speed things up.)

When the knocked out Devil awakens he looks at you. As he is waiting for the next order.
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2020-11-15 at 10:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

Zeno's mental voice is full of fear and distress.

*Butcher, I wish that I could say that it's good to see you again. Please tell us who brought you here, what you did, and what the purpose of it all.*

9. - Top - End - #69

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Butcher looks at and with his normally intimidating voice says to you very calmly "What has happened here. Is that four demon-worshipping cults came here on the night of the lunar eclipse they overran the town and summoned a Harald of Tiamat. I and A platoon of legion devils were also summoned to act as a rearguard and challenge any would-be hero. Slaughtered a group of stupid paladins that tried to challenge the hero and we impaled there bodies outside. This morning we were attacked by another group one of them was a Black winged. Fallen angle. (Erinyes) with the range advantage we were forced to make a stand here. Two of her companions were succubi. I am the only one left. As for who they are and why not everyone would want to see her take over the mortal plain I guess. or my presence was endangering there own plots." As he starts to laugh.

(OCC to be honest I had a list of 20 possible lords. after rolling he this is a twist I did not expect. looks like I get more options to play with. Devils demons and dragons o my. )

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo joins the interrogation, although it's clear mind magic is something he finds deeply distasteful. What happened to the Herald they were trying to summon?

11. - Top - End - #71

WolfInSheepsClothing

The butcher looks at you and says "I don't know were that scaled bastard Hearld has wandered off to. But the Blood Moon was only The First sine and the weakest. But as the Herald Grows in power and closer to the goal there will be more. Then the weather it's self will be affected. "
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2020-11-20 at 12:16 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno

Zeno drifts a bit closer.

*Thank you. This is most helpful. Tell us more about who this Herald is, their name, their race and so on. And the interesting thing about heralds is that you are a herald OF someone. Who are they heralding for, Butcher?
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-11-28 at 10:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Butcher stops laughing as he is compelled to answer. Mordukhavar the Reaver. (if you want to look him up your self see Dragon mag 260) Son of Tiamat. That Wurm was chosen to be Tiamat's Herald. With his ability to Polymorph himself good luck in finding him."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf69 View Post
    The Butcher stops laughing as he is compelled to answer. Mordukhavar the Reaver. (if you want to look him up your self see Dragon mag 260) Son of Tiamat. That Wurm was chosen to be Tiamat's Herald. With his ability to Polymorph himself good luck in finding him."
    Do you know of his mission, his intentions, or any way we might gain a clue when we are in his presence?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno waits for the Butcher to respond to Tolo's question, then follows up with another of her own.

*Thank you, Butcher. Do you have any idea where this Mordukhavar is now setting up a base on this plane? Or, at the very least, what direction they went when they left?*

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Oh! I was going to ask whether, in this universe, it's normal for demons and devils to work together. Or if it should be considered unusual that we have erinyes working with demons.

16. - Top - End - #76

WolfInSheepsClothing

The butcher says his voice is very menacing. His main goal is to bring the mother of dragons back to this realm and to do that 7 acts of description must be made and 7 seals must be hunted down and destroyed to clear the path blocking her way. I do know of one location he will visit eventually. there is a very holy site dedicated to her Archrival Bahamut a dragons nursery. But he may not have enough power yet to overpower there defences. A lot of little hatchlings and Dragonborn are going to die. He may be seaking allies. and building up a power base were i do not know.

As you get the last of the info that he knowns you have him remove his equipment
    1 magic gloves
    1 magic belt
    1 magic boots
    1 magic chain mail shirt
    1 magic longsword
    1 magic shield
    1 magic great axe
    1 magic bow
    20 arrows.
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2020-11-29 at 04:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno nods

*Thank you, Butcher. You are doing very well.*

She sends only to her colleagues.

*I don't get the sense that he knows much more about the current situation. For what I hope are obvious reasons, my ability to make use of his equipment is, well, virtually non-existent, so I will leave that to your discretion.

*A millenium ago, we showed fiends no mercy, but times may have changed. If any of you have thoughts as to what to do with the Butcher now, it would be useful to hear them.*

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo shrugs. Send him back? I mean he goes back no matter what we do. I can't imagine they'll send him back any time soon.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    That's not my understanding of how the mechanics work, but it's Stormwolf's world. My understanding was that outsiders called (not summoned) to the material stay there indefinitely, and are permadead if they die here. Also, only the most powerful outsiders can plane shift on their own, so it's not a given that the Butcher CAN get home on their own.

Resolving the situation in the least confrontational way that she can think of, Zeno points to Tolo and instructs the Butcher: *Thank you. Now please do the next thing that that person tells you to do.*
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-12-01 at 12:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

*Thank you. Now please do the next thing that that person tells you to do.*
    George seeing an opening, Kill yourself as he stands nearby.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo also sees an opening.

Hey, now, steady, it's me you're supposed to be obeying, not him. I'm the one that was pointed to, right? Good, good. I'm not ordering you to kill yourself, because I'm a paladin from ages past. A hero. You know, one of the good guys?

He gives a stern glance over at George as he pulls out a roll of delicate parchment, a cheap souvenir inkpot bearing the words a present from Bacrine Vale, and one of those expensive new metal pens that the really serious scribes sometimes use. With the practiced ease of someone who spends a lot of time writing, he loosely folds the parchment over, and starts writing, the pen moving in whorls and flourishes.

I am asking you to take this parchment to the highest superior of yours that you can reasonably reach at short notice, and give it to them in person as you tell them to take the Gate of Future Sorrows near the banks of the River Ma'at. You don't give it to anyone else, and definitely not to the Dark Lady.

He finishes the parchment, rolls it up, and hands it to the devil known as the Butcher.

All set then?

Spoiler: Knowledge local 15
    Show
    Bacrine Vale was a nice little village at the start of the last war, famous for it's good views and healing waters. It was sacked and utterly destroyed early on in the conflict.

Spoiler: Looking over Tolo's shoulder as he writes
    Show
    Tolo is writing in an alarming series of sharp symbols

Spoiler: Looking over Tolo's shoulder and speak Abyssal
    Show
    To whom it may concern.

You've been infiltrated. Your traitor is in the lower caverns, under the command of Jier'Kar'phan, but not in the obvious group.

Also, your guy Krakcargan? He's not sending you the full picture.. The real information is hidden under the tiles under his desk. Don't know who is really working for though.

Be careful when you take the Gate of Past Sorrows. There are eyes on the river.

Ciao,

T

Spoiler: Knowledge planes 10
    Show
    Krakcargan sounds like a demonic name. Jier'Kar'phan sounds like the name of a devil

Spoiler: Knowledge planes 15
    Show
    The River Ma'at is the legendary border of the underworld in Egyptian Myth. It runs near the Ribcage, which is the gateway in the Outlands that leads to Baator (aka the Nine Hells) (where devils like the Butcher come from). It's outside the territory that might reasonably be claimed by devils, but not by much.

Spoiler: GM only
    Show
    Krackcargan is an agent of the devils spying on the demons, who was discovered by the demons and is now playing both sides.
    Jier'Kar'phan is in logistics in the armies of Baator. He was widely believed by the demons to do deals on the side.
    These are both names that came to Tolo's attention due to his recent work (see background)

Last edited by Togo; 2020-12-02 at 11:26 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Understood" the butcher says as he takes the document and opens a portal then goes into it. leaving the party alone in the room.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Right then. As a break from infernal intrigue, I generally like to relax by taking fallen paladins from impaling hooks and giving them the last rites. Maybe you guys want to have a bit more of a look around while I do that? Then we can work out if we're going straight home or hunting down a Herald of Tiamat first?

He pauses as he passes the pile of looted items.

What are we going to do with these, anyway? Do we draw lots, auction them between them, engage in nude wresting?

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Detect Evil on the items

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Well if you want to look around I can take about five hours and Identify five of these so we know exactly what they are ?
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-12-05 at 07:28 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Zeno drifts up to Tolo.

*I'm so sorry for the loss, the violation here. I -*

She looked through her hands at Tolo.

*I am not an efficient digger, but I can move quickly in searching, and my senses will pick up any survivors quickly.*

Malleus, still in troll form, lopes over.

"Uh, If you want help in gathering and laying these defenders to rest, I think I can help, if you'll have me. If you start praying and digging, I'll go around town gathering the, the remains. Least we can do to honour the fallen."

Zeno glances down at the Butcher's equipment.

*It would be useful to know what we have on our hands. If you're willing and able, George, that would be invaluable. And I'd recommend that anyone who feels that they have a use for something claim it for now, and we'll figure out something equitable once we're back at that Academy place. Is that acceptable?*

If there are no objections, then Zeno and Malleus each set to work.

Show
    I'm not sure if McCollarsen is still with us, but I don't mean to leave Merrick out of the conversation.

Five hours seems like a reasonable time to gather and give last rites, so I'm all in favour of identifying the gear now, at least so that we know what we've got on our hands.

Malleus is VoP, which probably also precludes the use of spades, but he can quickly and efficiently gather the bodies (strong and 40' movement) for Tolo. I'll suggest that as a slightly more controlled alternative to dozens of shallow graves or some kind of pit, Tolo find a house with a basement, lay out the remains in a respectful manner, and bring the house down on top, with a marker to create a kind of monument.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

George sits down with five of the items and starts casting his spells to learn of their magical nature's

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tolo blinks.

You get used to it. He says eventually.

Not quite an answer, that.

Besides, I didn't know any of these people. Never even met them. And it's not like they would have talked to me if I had.

Tolo looks around as everyone busies themselves with tasks that don't involve digging a big hole.

He searches around the settlement until he eventually he emerges with a spade. He strips off his shirt, and sets to. As he works, his bare muscles gleam, his veins jet black against his lightly scaled hide. On his back twisted symbols, all sharp angles and many legged forms, compete for space with deep scars, all roiling and stretching as he works.

Each blow with the spade plunges hard into the rammed earth, over and over, as if he has some personal beef with the hardness of the ground and is taking revenge on it. His eyes widen, the pupils expanding until his eyes are almost black, as he attacks the ground over, and over, the blade biting deep. The occasional discordant note sings out as the spade strikes a stone, but he ignores it, pushing harder, driving deeper. After a few minutes, he pulls the spade up, and eyes the bent and abused metal.

After a moment he crouches down, using one of the larger rocks from the ground as a sort of improvised low tool, and examines the spade more carefully, running his finger over the bent and curling metal of the blade, and the splintering handle. He sighs, and closes his eyes, and the metal starts to uncurl, the wooden shaft smoothing and straightening, the until the tool gives off a polished gleam and looks better, newer, than when he first found it. He stands up again, approaches the hole, and legs together, hops in, with only his head and the tops of his shoulders showing.

28. - Top - End - #88

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: Magic items
    Show
    magic gloves Moderate transmutation (Gauntlets of Ogre Power)
    magic belt Moderate transmutation (Belt of Giant Strength)
    magic boots Moderate transmutation (Boots of Speed)
    Magic great axe is Strong necromancy and transmutation (Vorpal and it is +5)
    Magic shield Strong transmutation ( Animated and it’s +2)

It is evening as the late dusk. As the last rays of light leave the horizon. As the Paladians and priests have been buried in the court yard of the church. Most of the towns people have been gathered and laying out in the basement of a tavern. The name reads Tavern of the Rising Sun And there is the option of breaking two huge barrels of beer and starting a large bond fire. Cremating most of them and the large building also coming down will help finish the job. every now and then you swear you think on of the bodies moves. but you think it is your imagination.
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2020-12-11 at 09:40 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

As they gather around the pyre, Zeno gently speaks into the group's minds.

*A loss of one is a loss to all. A candle extinguished continues to burn in the mind's eye. Perhaps these deaths will be a rallying cry to others.*

When the others seem ready again for conversation, Zeno turns to the task at hand.

*May I recommend that we go next to the capital, to report what we have learned. The families and colleagues of these villagers deserve to know what befell their loved ones. Perhaps, there, we can learn more about this son of Tiamat, and go into a next intervention better prepared.

*But it has been a long and confusing day, and while I am eager to leave this place of death, I would recommend we don't go far. Perhaps we could find a place to camp a short distance out of town?*
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-12-12 at 12:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

yes let us cam p away from this place for the night
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-12-14 at 04:32 PM.