New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Epic feats in non-epic feat slots

The direct hindrance is the extreme imbalance created between the characters and the DM's world if one PC does this and the DM lets it happen for some ridiculous reason. The intent, and impression given by a normal reading of the power, is that you're undoing choices made on a level-by-level basis going back from your current level as far as you want to go. Then, you make your feat and skill choices again on a level-by-level basis.

If this is just a thought exercise, then I suppose if you squint your eyes and tilt your head just right you can make this kind of leap in logic. If it's for actual play make sure you wear your dice-proof helmet and prepare for the DM to laugh when this gets suggested, and laugh even harder when they realize it's a serious request.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Epic feats in non-epic feat slots

Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    But you are not level 3, you are level X which does meet the prerequisite. People here make it sound as if by using Psychic Reformation, the character is supposed to count as if it was the level it was when changing the feat it wants to change. Like if you wanted to change a the feat one took at level 3, the character casting psychic reformation would count only as level 3. That is not the case. You still could as a level X (in my example level 29) and precisely therefore one would meet the requirement, no matter which of the feats you changed. Also, as I've mentioned before, feats does not have a level fixed to them, so you just have a number of feats available... not level-specific feats. Again, there is AFAIK no hard rule that says that the feat you gained at level 6 only can be used for feats you had access to up to level 6. When changing a feat using Psychic Reformation, you calculate whether or not you meet the prerequisites at the time you cast Psychic reformation, not as your character was at the time you gained access to the feat you want to change!!!
    I am not disagreeing with you on this.

My point of contention is that PR effect is "the subject can [snip] from its previous level to its current level." using it with the extra xp cost to remaking earlier choices is changing that "previous level to current level" to "level X-1 to level X"

If I were to be extra nitpicking of RAW, that part of spending extra xp to undo lower levels is dysfunctional because it says you cna undo your choices,but not that you can pick new choices for these lower levels
    Last edited by ciopo; 2020-09-16 at 07:05 AM.