New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default The Castian Seas: Sailing, Psionics, and Biomancy (PDF) (Comments Appreciated)

Spoiler: The World of Castian (warning, BIG)
    Show

The PDF: A World of High-Adventure

He’s been out to sea for months, and is finally coming home to port, just in time for the Monsoons to swing back around and flood the place. The sailor’s an old hand, trusted as a second mate for his experience, beat out to the First mate position only because the Captain hates mutinies, and he paid good money for Mimix-Gola to grow him a seven-foot tall behemoth to watch his back.

Entering into port, the sailor bids his ship farewell for now, and it wishes him a good time ashore. The dockmaster’s some damn Ailonan, a bird-snake thing that squawks and asks for shinies. The sailor tosses him a ruby he got off a pirate’s sword-handle, which gets him directed to a decent brothel, where the women are born, not vat-grown. The city is dirty, sure, but it’s honest-dirty. Color’s in every brick and log, and between the Mako sharkmen and the Ailonans, there’s enough peddlin’ of goods and song that the Sailor can afford to hum himself a few tunes on the way. He passes an Imperial officer drinking his troubles away next to someone with tentacles comin’ out of his head, and a frog whose skin glows pink.

The sailor doesn’t care. He’s got months of gold in his pocket, and a warm bed to spend it on. He scratches at his arm. He went cheap and got something with chitin. Doesn’t feel the same, but it’s better than begging in the street. He hardly notices the other creature following him, the one that’s got his face and is looking to keep it, but he’ll figure that out soon enough, just as soon as he finds a good place to eat.

Castian is a range of island-continents running along the equator of the watery-world of Arial. While not the only landmasses in the world, Castian is one of the only ones that remains in relatively the same place. Arial is an Alien World, a place where the normal rules of magic, science, physics, and reality found in other D&D worlds does not apply.

For instance, Magic does not exist in Castian. The people of this world make due with Psionics, the application of mind, body, and spirit energies to perform their great and legendary deeds. All spellcasters work their powers by way of several methods for accessing one’s psychic potential, either through intensive mental exercises, zen-meditation and universal ‘oneness’, or through sheer willpower alone. Where magic does exist, it is in the form of the rare deal with a Planar Outsider looking to get a foothold somewhere in the world.

Beyond magic, however, biology in this world is also alien. Not only are the playable races of Castian very different from what one might find familiar, even animals and plantlife possess many strange qualities and abilities one might not find elsewhere. From living, sapient trees, to meta-parasites, to life-drinking monsters, on Castian… life finds a way.

And where it doesn’t, the science of Biomancy helps it along. Great guilds and companies compete to bring vat-grown miracles to the masses. Everything from weapons, to living suits of armor, even ships can be grown and raised to work as their creator-sorcerers dictate.

Ah, but where one might expect this to be a high-technology world, one would be mistaken. All of this biomantic science and psionic magic is paired with a tropical world in the throes of an otherwise Bronze Aged society. Great city-states dominate the seas, not mighty empires and nation-states. Savagery and animalistic atavism is but a few generations behind most peoples. In the case of one race, the Ailonans, sapience may have only occurred a mere two centuries ago!

Finally, the world is not as whole and hale as one might assume. Islands move on their own, and time itself bends in places where none remain to witness it and tie it down. Travel too far out into the open seas, and you really will fall off the edge of the map, and into other worlds. Sometimes, this is planned as part of a sort of exploratory excavation. Sometimes, it’s just bad luck.

And what of you? What destiny shall you carve for yourself? Will you crew a ship of explorers? Seeking out the lost treasures of a million worlds and dead timelines? Will you loot and pillage your black guts out, wreaking a bloody swath through the trade lanes under the black flag? Will you topple an empire? Will you vanish, without a trace, down a leviathan’s gullet?

What path shall you choose for yourself in this alien world?

Gonna reserve one extra post for monsters, which I'll fill if there's any interest.
    Last edited by Ninjadeadbeard; 2020-09-21 at 03:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2

PirateCaptain

Default Re: The Castian Seas: Sailing, Psionics, and Biomancy (PDF)

Monster found within Castian are typically strange, horrifying things. Monstrosities of both flesh and spirit. Beyond mutated sea-life, fleshy golems, and other twisted body horrors, there are, naturally, a few creatures who emulate those beings most found in other Dungeons and Dragons worlds. Like...

Alucids
    The Pale Locusts. Alucids (ah-loo-sihds) are an insectoid race native to the Shallowsea region. Their Queen, a large, cancer-like sac of organs and hatred digs itself deep into the earth before spawning its hungry Bloodflies. These flies collect blood from animals and people alike before depositing their catch into the maw of their monstrous mother. The Queen uses this blood to grow strong enough to manifest her mighty psychic powers, allowing her to silently call the weak-willed and those whose blood she’s tasted back to her lair. The weakest are devoured for more power, while the rest become near-mindless drones in time. Eventually, the Queen begins attracting stronger prey. People and animals of great vitality are forced to eat the Queen’s larva, becoming a symbiote with it as the parasite carves out their insides and slowly transmutes them into the Alucid’s mightiest form. Some enjoy the process, while some are made to. In time, these Chevalier become the Queen’s enforcers, and ultimately her lovers, helping her to spawn greater and greater horrors until a new Queen is needed to splinter off from the hive and begin anew somewhere else.

Alucids replace the traditional Vampire archetypes. These can best be represented by modifying Vampiric monsters in the core game. To best conform to their new, insectoid nature, adding a Fire Vulnerability, while removing the additional damage from running water and sunlight is a simple enough effect. More magical effects are simply a byproduct of their psionic abilities manifesting.

Demons
    Demons are evil ghosts that manifest when people have or experience traumatic or evil emotions. They are literally born from mortals and their personal traumas. From there they can build psychic energy until they possess a host, and eventually infest others with themselves in a vile, memetic process. Eventually they can become independent beings once they've reached a level of gestalt existence whereby they collectively have enough energy to directly manifest a body and become a Demonic Prince, able to self-perpetuate themselves indefinitely until someone smites them back into oblivion.

These are literally your personal demons (hue hue). Any mind-effecting monsters can be converted into these Demons in play, and actual Infernal creatures can work well as a Demonic Prince's physical form.

Devils
    Devils, as a point of contrast, are beings from beyond this world. As Arial lacks the same sort of ambient magic that they require to manifest, Devils have to make due with reaching out and using their power to mutate those who make a pact with them. This mutation is a small portion of the Devil's own self, made into a cancerous lump in their servant's body, granting them actual magical power (as opposed to Psionic). More and more powerful servants cause their cancer to grow until it converts them wholesale into a hybrid-Devil, though their Devil half is still tied to the originator, so Devils still maintain their control. In this way are Devils the Lawful Evil horrors they should be. Why break the world when you can abuse the systems in place by proxy?

This is the standard explanation for the existence of Warlock patrons. Magical Cancer from outside the known universe. Most Devils/Celestials/Whatever lack the ability to survive in Arial's low-magic environment, and so impart biological aides to create those conditions.

Dragons
    Dragon is a classification of a wide variety of species with related characteristics. The strength of these characteristics is ranked from Demi-Dragons to Lesser, Greater, and True Dragons. The reason for this is that “Dragons” are a parasitic memory-shard that drifts through the cosmos, inevitably sticking to and infecting dimensions with itself. Universes thus affected will suffer mutations that aim to create dragons and dragon-like creations. Demi-Dragons include plants and animals that share superficial dragon characteristics such as armor scales. Lesser Dragons include creatures of animal intelligence with elemental breath attacks and other physical resemblance to dragons. Greater Dragons are large creatures with breath attacks and human-like intelligence, if not greater. Finally, True Dragons represent the pinnacle of their genus, being immortal, Psionic Lords of Dragonkind. True Dragons are very rare, with most ascending to form their own pantheon within Castian.

Dragons exist in every setting because memes.

Undead
    Undead in Castian are the byproduct of Negative Energy, a form of Life Energy corrupted by death, despair, and emotional turmoil. Places with such darkness spawn undead such as Zombies and Skeletons seemingly forevermore, constantly trying to void the negative energy of the region by dispersing it through these unfortunate cadavers. This is a byproduct of the world’s own “immune system” trying to disperse this psychic pain as far and wide as possible to dilute their malign influence. So sadly, many churches and faiths who seek to contain outbreaks of Undeath are often doing more harm than good if they cannot deal a killing blow to the core of the Despair Vortex at its heart.

Many forms of undead exist, some far less malicious than others. The relative power and variety that manifest seems dependent on the amount of despair and darkness of the region.

Ghosts and incorporeal undead in general are the result of powerful emotions being suffused with enough psychic energy to generate ectoplasm, a material that allows ghosts to physically manifest themselves. Apparitions are the simplest form of ghost, a moment of time recorded and repeated forever without awareness of itself or its surroundings.

Just above these are Shadows, poltergeists with just enough energy to affect their will through moving objects or tossing them. Shadows range from protective to malevolent in intentions, but they all share a childlike understanding of the world around them. Specters are far more intelligent and capable of manifesting a more permanent form. Specters appear to be either the returned dead or ectoplasmic copies of their memories. Whichever is true, Specters are the only sort of ghost which earns some consideration by the living, at least so long as they don’t cause trouble.

Powerful ghosts are called Wraiths, and these monsters are given no latitude. They appear to be negative energy made manifest, a cruel parody of one who has passed, often filled to burst with hellish power. They are often mistaken for Demons and usually classified by the great Sin they appear to manifest most; Wrath, Lust, Greed, or Pride.

Corporeal undead come in many shapes and varieties. Simple zombies and skeletons of the dead are the most basic. Ghouls are a variety of zombie that seems to retain some animal-level intelligence, though little memory of their former life. These creatures devour the bodies of the dead and living alike. Wights, meanwhile, appear to possess all their old memories and mental faculties, and if it were not for their undead nature and their newfound hunger for the blood of the living, they might find solace in their second life. Wights who consume enough lifeforce eventually develop into Liches, a most terrifying form of undeath possessed of endless psionic and magical power.

Undead run the gamut. Some malevolent ones are almost literally just Demons. If a player wants to be a corporal undead, or Wight, this would be a way to justify it. Otherwise, Liches do not need to consume souls in Castian. It's just a hobby...

Far Dwellers
    As a realm of psionics and biological strangeness, was it any surprise that beings from the Far Realms took an interest in Castian? Since time immemorial, Aboleths have dwelt in the seas, Mind Flayers have plotted in their vaults and dungeons, and Beholders…. have actually integrated into Castian’s underworld very nicely. They have brought with them many of their slave races as well, the most prominent being the Gith and the Koa-Toa. These beings are not treated as insane transdimensional horrors as in most worlds, but rather more like the traditional Fey. Capricious, alien, and strange, but not necessarily completely evil or so horrifying that you couldn’t work with one if you had to. The Far-Dwellers somewhat appreciate the lack of immediate hostility from Castian’s natives. Though that’s less about “making friends” and more about “hapless fools and slaves to be taken”.

Aberrations and Fey are the same damn thing, in this world. Eldritch, otherworldly, and strange. Okay, so that's repetition ad nauseum, but that's the point. Treat Aberrations as icky fey, and fey as ethereal abominations, and you're golden.

For all other beasts and monsters, consider this:

• Can I add an element of body horror to a classical monster?
    • Can I make it more psionic in nature?
    • When in doubt, more of everything.
    Last edited by Ninjadeadbeard; 2020-09-16 at 08:19 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

PirateCaptain

Mimix-Ghola are the oldest, and most powerful, Biomancy Corporation in the world. Their reach is vast, and their memories long. If there's a bit of biotech around, they probably had their claws, tentacles, and fleshpods on it at one point in the creation process. Magic items and gear that can't be replicated by psionics, are always a living invention. Cloaks of Protection are scaled manta rays you wear. Boots of Elvenkind are a snake-like creature bred to consume your feet and live off your scraps while muffling your steps.

Here are a couple more ideas, for unique items in the world of Castian.

Delving Squid
    Imagine a tiny, helpless octopus. Now, throw if off a cliff and use the pitch of its terrified shrieks to guesstimate the length of a fall. Delving Squids! They live off human skin, and can't die from falls under a mile. Buy in bulk!

Clones
    Don't want to die? Well, for the low, low price of a few grand, you can purchase immortality. Mimix-Ghola will prep a fleshpod with your clone, and have its developing mind Psionically Shackled to your own. Whenever you die, you'll pop back up in one of their Gene-Vaults, ready to get back to adventuring!

Gelfiber
    Some jellyfish monsters can be harvested, and turned into clothing. Sure, wearing these clothes will inevitably poison you, but it will also immunize you to poison over time. Win-win!

Armathralls
    Armathralls are a classification of living creature grown in vats and shallow pools. These are living machines, of a sort, evolved to require a host-pilot in order to survive outside of their birthing pits. Wearing one of these living armor suits is a lot like wearing power armor, or a mech suit in other settings. Pictured below.

Flash Clones
    Buying people is easy. Just order some up, and let Mimix-Ghola grow you servants, warriors, researchers, or anything else you'd like! Want to rent a musical band to accompany your Bard? Grow some! They even clean themselves up, evaporating after a set time!

-*-*-

Last edited by Ninjadeadbeard; 2020-09-16 at 08:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

PirateCaptain

Okay. I think I'm done. And... holy heck, that's a lot of views!

So, what do people think? Comments? Questions? Criticisms? Can't make the system better unless someone says something.

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateCaptain

Default Re: The Castian Seas: Sailing, Psionics, and Biomancy (PDF) (Comments Appreciated)

Over 4,000 views in a week. Wow! That's... probably the most views I've ever gotten on one thread. Neat. Thank you!

But... no comments? Nothing? Not even a transitory opinion? Nada?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: The Castian Seas: Sailing, Psionics, and Biomancy (PDF) (Comments Appreciated)

Here's my 2cp:

Firstly, I have to admit that I've gone through it two or three times, and I've just now noticed the PDF, that describes the races in the setting. Maybe think on putting that somewhere more obvious? When it's immediately above a spoiler, it's kinda easy to skip.

Second, I'm not sure on the tech level for the setting. Is it medieval with bionics instead of magical, modern with living machinery, how connected are the parts of the world? (cloning and bioarmor suggests a very futuristic setting to be honest)

Finally, from the things I've read, I really like the idea. It DOES feel very alien, so you've got that aspect down. I especially like the dragons, as I feel most settings either overuse them, or neglect them completely. This hits a certain sweetspot to me, and gives them a purpose.

I'll post anything else I notice later, after I've gone through the PDF itself.

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by EdokTheTwitch View Post
    Firstly, I have to admit that I've gone through it two or three times, and I've just now noticed the PDF, that describes the races in the setting. Maybe think on putting that somewhere more obvious? When it's immediately above a spoiler, it's kinda easy to skip.
    Yikes! Hopefully, that's fixed now.

Second, I'm not sure on the tech level for the setting. Is it medieval with bionics instead of magical, modern with living machinery, how connected are the parts of the world? (cloning and bioarmor suggests a very futuristic setting to be honest)
    Bronze Age, with Psionics in place of magic, and an oddly highly developed sense of science/bio-tech. It's meant to evoke a certain pulpy feel.

Finally, from the things I've read, I really like the idea. It DOES feel very alien, so you've got that aspect down. I especially like the dragons, as I feel most settings either overuse them, or neglect them completely. This hits a certain sweetspot to me, and gives them a purpose.
    Honestly, the prevalence of dragons in most fantasy settings just kinda inspired a joke in my regular group that dragons were memes... or viruses. And it took off from there. I feel a little cheap with the monster suggestions, since I don't really make monsters myself, instead refluffing the ones already there. But, if I was better at homebrewing crunch for races, I'd probably try to create some sort of Template for dragons, in particular.

I look forward to your other thoughts on things! Thank you!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

OK, so here's the "in-depth" review. Please forgive any spelling or general understanding mistakes, attribute all of that to my lack of sleep and lack of using English in the last couple of years.

So, first thing, maps: I like the first one, although I'm not much of a map guy, so... it's nice? But the close proximity of so many larger islands does give potential for more frequent conflicts I guess. The second map is pure awesome! I love the stylized look, it looks like something you would find in a king's library.

History: Ooooh, I din't notice at first this is a POST-magic setting! This is definitely interesting, as it lets you hand out magic items as needed,with it being more difficult to craft if you think it's unbalanced. I like the time you've set the adventurers in, it's full of conflict, opportunity, and potential for adventure. The world gives off a feel of trying to get acclimated to the new, biomantic, normal, and the acclimation is causing a lot of friction?

Based on the brief about the species (page 10), the Humans seem to be an invasive species in this world? All of the other races have an unearthly feel, while the humans stand out in their, well, plainness. That's why it feels odd to me that they would be the dominant race. If I were you, I would maybe leave the "dominant" spot as empty. Or replace all humans with the Versari, as that could be the twist they need to truly belong thematically?

I like the religious organizations, and the deities. It's interesting how all of them look to be on the cusp of causing a cataclysm, but I guess that's what you're going for. The Gapa belief is my favorite, it reminds me of Tolkien, although that's purely my bias.

Not much to say about the organizations, fairly standard. I guess that's what pushes me to feel the world is more modern than it is. They seem to be much better connected than a bronze age world would be able to support. Although, I may be misinterpreting the size of the world. Is it Earth-sized, or more a large archipelago?

Overall, I love the monster reinterpretations. It saves you a lot of work of making new ones, and these are presented with just enough twist to seem alien and inviting. As said before, the dragons are my favorite, although the demons and devils are close behind, as they add an appropriate amount of chaos.

Races: I'll mostly focus on the history and lore aspects,as my knowledge of the 5E system is theoretical at best.

Alionans: I like it, crows that like the shiny. It's interesting that they're such a young race, as that kinda presents the issue of forced elevation. They are not yet at a level to understand the wold around them to the same level as the older races, but they are expected to do so anyways. Similar to how people used to consider isolated tribes primitive because they didn't know what a bicycle was, despite never being exposed to one.

Gapa: Fair minded swim-dwarves, awesome! The focus on music is particularly interesting, I can definitely see a culture revolving around that. It reminds me of the battle against Sauron in the Silmarillion (yes, I am a nerd, sue me! :D), with songs of power struggling against each other.

Humans: Nice that there is some diversity between the subtypes. But still, plain human, don't feel right to me for this world. :)

Mako: Modern Mako feel like Klingons to me, but that's honestly a good thing. I like the mystical aspect of a lost civilization, as well as their own lack of interest in it. A fresh twist over the traditional mourning for lost glory.

Protean: Also interesting, although this is again what pushes the setting ahead in terms of period. Reminiscent of both the warforged and the changelings, they have a very Eberron-ish feel to them. And Eberron IS my favorite 3.5 setting. So, an instant plus for me.

Shard: I think there's a similar race in 4th edition, right? Anyways, they gave me a funny image of a swarm of bees wearing a trench coat, and trying to buy a jar of honey in a supermarket :D . Anyways, you can never have enough hiveminds, a classic in any alien/sci-fi setting.

Versari: Made of pure awesome, if I played in this setting, I would play one in a heartbeat. Just the right amount of twisted, and just the right amount of obsessive, controling mind flayer-ish evilness.

Classes: So, from what I understand, the classes remain the same,just with a different flavor? Well, it does save you the work from converting and reinventing everything, but it also runs the risk of a campaign not feeling much different from a standard 5E game. I would suggest adding racial archetypes. A Gapa bard is a must, with their musical focus. Ditto for an Alionan rogue, a Mako fighter (or even a paladin, Oath of the Mercenary anyone?), and even a Shard Druid.

Living items are a cool concept overall, just make sure to always present them as a new item, don't ever say "It's like that already existing one." The boots of elvenkind should only ever be described as weird, foot-cleaning symbiotes.

That about wraps everything up. Overall, I love the ideas you have, the only daner I can see is the wizards, sorcerers, and other magical classes severely undermining the alien feel.

Hope this helps!

9. - Top - End - #9

PirateCaptain

I hate it when life suddenly happens...

Quote Originally Posted by EdokTheTwitch View Post
    So, first thing, maps: I like the first one, although I'm not much of a map guy, so... it's nice? But the close proximity of so many larger islands does give potential for more frequent conflicts I guess. The second map is pure awesome! I love the stylized look, it looks like something you would find in a king's library.
    Maps are a big thing, to me. I love the art of mapmaking for fantasy worlds, and so it generally is my first stop on the road to making settings.

History: Ooooh, I din't notice at first this is a POST-magic setting! This is definitely interesting, as it lets you hand out magic items as needed,with it being more difficult to craft if you think it's unbalanced. I like the time you've set the adventurers in, it's full of conflict, opportunity, and potential for adventure. The world gives off a feel of trying to get acclimated to the new, biomantic, normal, and the acclimation is causing a lot of friction?
    Not quite. Most common and uncommon items aren't that hard to get ahold of (me and my players reasoned, after thinking about the length of time needed by the 5e rules for item crafting), but they would either be psionic in nature (crystals!) or Bio-organic (living armor, implants, intelligent cancer, etc). The game's pricing system is pretty good, honestly, so we just use that. Means that anyone with 6k gold in the bank can afford to hire a corporation to Clone them, and keep their jar of immortality in a safe vault somewhere.

Based on the brief about the species (page 10), the Humans seem to be an invasive species in this world? All of the other races have an unearthly feel, while the humans stand out in their, well, plainness. That's why it feels odd to me that they would be the dominant race. If I were you, I would maybe leave the "dominant" spot as empty. Or replace all humans with the Versari, as that could be the twist they need to truly belong thematically?
    Funnily enough, I had several players agree with you! I might introduce some information sometime, hinting that humanity itself is a newcomer to the world. I'd still like to keep humans around for the 'default' or 'adaptable' race, however. Just for the mechanics of the game.

I like the religious organizations, and the deities. It's interesting how all of them look to be on the cusp of causing a cataclysm, but I guess that's what you're going for. The Gapa belief is my favorite, it reminds me of Tolkien, although that's purely my bias.

Not much to say about the organizations, fairly standard. I guess that's what pushes me to feel the world is more modern than it is. They seem to be much better connected than a bronze age world would be able to support. Although, I may be misinterpreting the size of the world. Is it Earth-sized, or more a large archipelago?
    The Gapa belief is indeed based on the Song of the Valar from the Silmarillion.

As for the organizations, I'd point out that the Bronze Age was actually ridiculously interconnected in a way that would look very modern to our sensibilities, what with multiple nations being locked together in a vast network of trade. The map only depicts the region of the world around the equator, stretching some 15,000 miles across (basically, Brazil to Australia, if my numbers work out), but only stretching north/south by about the length of the Sahara, or so. There are other landmasses in this world. It's just that some of them are technically on other planes or have moved around a bit too much to track.

Alionans: I like it, crows that like the shiny. It's interesting that they're such a young race, as that kinda presents the issue of forced elevation. They are not yet at a level to understand the wold around them to the same level as the older races, but they are expected to do so anyways. Similar to how people used to consider isolated tribes primitive because they didn't know what a bicycle was, despite never being exposed to one.
    I do love the Ailonans. In many ways, they were inspired by the Yinglets of Val Salia. Every Ailonan my players come across is crazy and eclectic, covering themselves in gold, gemstones, and prayer beads from every known deity they've come across. Their culture is very materialistic, even their faith.

Gapa: Fair minded swim-dwarves, awesome! The focus on music is particularly interesting, I can definitely see a culture revolving around that. It reminds me of the battle against Sauron in the Silmarillion (yes, I am a nerd, sue me! :D), with songs of power struggling against each other.
    Only one player, so far, has gone Gapa. And... they basically wrote themselves as being tone-deaf. So... missed opportunity there, lol.

Mako: Modern Mako feel like Klingons to me, but that's honestly a good thing. I like the mystical aspect of a lost civilization, as well as their own lack of interest in it. A fresh twist over the traditional mourning for lost glory.
    Its become almost a running gag in my campaigns (by accident) that all Mako try to die in a way that would get themselves put on a heavy metal cover. One (a PC) consumed a literal chest-full of high-performance drugs, and essentially exploded, while another one ate their own arms, rather than give his captors any information.

Shard: I think there's a similar race in 4th edition, right? Anyways, they gave me a funny image of a swarm of bees wearing a trench coat, and trying to buy a jar of honey in a supermarket :D . Anyways, you can never have enough hiveminds, a classic in any alien/sci-fi setting.
    More like Gems from Steven Universe, just with a permanent, fleshy body around their core. But, no one seems to remember that part. I now have a player who claims to sweat sand wherever he goes.

Versari: Made of pure awesome, if I played in this setting, I would play one in a heartbeat. Just the right amount of twisted, and just the right amount of obsessive, controling mind flayer-ish evilness.
    The current party Enchanter agrees wholeheartedly with you.

Classes: So, from what I understand, the classes remain the same,just with a different flavor? Well, it does save you the work from converting and reinventing everything, but it also runs the risk of a campaign not feeling much different from a standard 5E game. I would suggest adding racial archetypes. A Gapa bard is a must, with their musical focus. Ditto for an Alionan rogue, a Mako fighter (or even a paladin, Oath of the Mercenary anyone?), and even a Shard Druid.
    Will steal that right away. Thank you!

And thank you, sincerely, for taking a look. None of my settings ever seem to gain attention when I share them here, so this was very nice. Thank you.