Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Gallopardia: Hoofprints In The Snow. (Playtest)

Hello!
    Alright!
    Let's brainstorm your character!

The adventure will start at Clover River- the biggest city of Gallopardia, sitting on cross of the three great rivers of Gallopardia.

I think your character should be a capable one, and one with the motivation pick his muzzle where no normal pony would.
    He/she could be a complete wandering stranger, but one who has a reason to care if a worried parent looking for their child and one else is ready to help

Or, your character left the city years ago, as a teen colt, and now is back- for what ever reason. We can make it very personal- maybe it's own sibling for an example, or a child of his first love, or something.
    The tensions of course would be more personal, and so are the stakes.

Stranger doesn't has this tension,but he can feel more free to stand up to the top ponies.

It's up to you, what you preffer.

If you have something completly diffrent, we of course can make it work.

I plan, socializing, exploring and of course some action, though,probably in dramatic bursts.

Lore:
    It's a merchant republic, where you get rights and priviliges by paying, class diffrence is harsh- "the clover" form of the city, which give it her name, made from round shaped blocks, called "stables"
    "The Golden stable"- where the great merchant live, and of course the three great merchant princes. Here the luxurious artists also work, and even have an operating theatere.
    Guards are hired by merchants keeping order and safety.

"The Iron Stable"- where the craft ponies, lower merchants live and work.
    Some of the craft ponies are organized in guilds, which oppose the great merchants in the city politics, granting them some rights, with their united power

And third is "the trash stable" where the poor live. Hard labour workers, beggars and "trash" ponies in general.
    A black market is blossomed with anything the City Council forbid- from stolen goods, through poisons to rare eldrtich forbidden artifacts.

"Clover Heart" in the meeting of the rivers, there have been built an artifical island, where the city council sit, the prime legal docks, and the market.
    As hinted by it's name, this is the heart and center of the city's activity, with a statue sculptured from ice in respect to Blizzard Weeps.
    Last edited by igordragonian; 2020-09-15 at 07:47 AM.
    Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Gallopardia: Hoofprints In The Snow. (Playtest)

So, my character should have been out of town for a while at the beginning of the story? Well, since this is a merchant republic, how about making my character a travelling, lower-ranked merchant?

I'm imagining someone with an investigative and highly intelligent streak, someone who enjoys solving mysteries in his free time and constantly sticks his nose where it doesn't belong. Someone like Miss Marple or Professor Layton. But with a more upbeat and shrewd personality, like Tressa from Octopath Traveller.

I think for someone like this they should probably know the people involved, maybe as old friends, but they shouldn't have a close personal connection to the victim. That makes their involvement all the more infuriating for the guards and the culprit.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-09-15 at 07:23 AM.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Sure.
    It works.
    So he is from the Iron Stable area.

I have updated the city's lore btw.
    Btw 2: Can you link your system, for quick refrence?

Btw3: somepony got intested, and sent me pm, asking if s/he can join.
    What do you think?

about the connection- he is simply friend of the worried parent..yes?
    Last edited by igordragonian; 2020-09-15 at 07:51 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

First of all, sure thing! Here's my system!

Secondly, I'm on board with bringing in other people. It should be helpful with testing the system to have an outsider's perspective, after all. Besides, the system was made for play with multiple players, and there's stuff I still need to figure out for that. Like, how many stress points does an obstacle need to be a climactic encounter for multiple people?

Who are they, if you don't mind? Somebody I know?

The connection works for me! I'll start figuring out my character from here on and will post the full character write-up as soon as I can. As an aside, are we using Talents for our characters? I'm thinking of either some kind of incredible talent with disguises, or being able to make contacts wherever he goes.
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Firsr time I talk to him.
    Bluehamsterbean.
    He say he is looking to join for any MLP roleplay, and he doesnt know where he can join.

Let's use everything the system has to offer.

Hmm. How do you feel about the trope of his first love grew up and married, but her husband can deal with the crisis?
    I have seen it many times, and it's a trope I like, it generate quite the tension.
    (Usagi Yojimbo for example, discover that her son, is his. But in the end he decide not tell it to the boy. Mostly because he is a ronin, and also because his brother already has built a life with her)

Just an idea. It doesn't has to be that dramatic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by igordragonian View Post
    Firsr time I talk to him.
    Bluehamsterbean.
    He say he is looking to join for any MLP roleplay, and he doesnt know where he can join.
    I gotcha. Well, so long as he's aware that this is a playtest for a completely untested system, and that we might end up changing rules in play to adapt to issues, and also that this is a pretty non-standard pony setting, it's fine by me!

Hmm. How do you feel about the trope of his first love grew up and married, but her husband can deal with the crisis?
    I have seen it many times, and it's a trope I like, it generate quite the tension.
    (Usagi Yojimbo for example, discover that her son, is his. But in the end he decide not tell it to the boy. Mostly because he is a ronin, and also because his brother already has built a life with her)

Just an idea. It doesn't has to be that dramatic.
    Hey, sure! It's a one-shot anyways, and I trust you to figure out something fun, so do what you think is right. I'll hurry to write up my character, so you can figure out how to best involve them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, here's my initial character sheet!

Swift Calculus
    Concept: I am a Inquisitive Merchant (making deals, getting people to talk, making leaps of logic, finding just what I need, bribing people)
    Talent: I can make contacts wherever I go (making friends, getting along with others, getting access to places)
    Drive: I will figure out any mystery
    Trademarks:
    • I am Perceptive (spotting clues, noticing danger, picking up on social cues)
    • I have a Silver Tongue (persuading, lying)
    • I am Educated (local history, chemistry, obscure trivia)
    • I am Tough (enduring hardship, pushing on past my limits, being tougher than I look)

Flaw: I am Overconfident
    Stress: 3
    Drama Points: 2

Swift is a rugged, pale-brown earth pony stallion of about 40 years old. Born and raised in Clover River's Iron stable, he's expanded from his parents' pawn shop into being a traveling merchant. He's seen much of Gallopardia, and made friends with more ponies than some see in a lifetime, though wealth has eluded him. Despite his innate sense for business, Swift has always preferred amassing various curiosities and dusty tomes over investing in more practical things. Still, it is this ceaseless interest in the world around him that has kept his mind sharp, and his knowledge vast.

An eccentric stallion, Swift approaches life with a carefree and curious attitude, worrying not overly much about tomorrow and instead following whatever peaks his interest. Though possessing a kind heart, he has a habit of overlooking or downplaying factors that would get in the way of what he wants. At best, this makes him nosy and uncaring about the privacy of others. At worst, it makes him unwilling to back down even when his life might be at risk.

Still, it is that same confidence that has kept him so open-minded for much of his life. Swift is exceptionally easy to get along with, and has a way of putting others at ease that none can replicate. He genuinely loves meeting new people, and his enthusiasm can be infectious. Especially since he has no shortage of stories to tell, both about himself and others.

It's been a long time since I last wrote up a character. Tell me if there's anything I can still improve! I tried to include a few Focuses to give you a better idea of what I expect from my various Tags. I don't expect quite as much from a normal player, especially with more obvious Tags, but I figured I should take the opportunity to see if it helps making my character concept more clear.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-09-15 at 11:26 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

It looks good to me!
    I guess physical confrontations would be a challenge, which is fine,most of the adventure will be detective work.

A question that now I wonder.
    How racial abilities interact with this sheet?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Yup, physical challenges are not his forte. I'll have to make sure to gather up some Drama Points for those.

Racial abilities are somewhat downplayed with this system, though how exactly they are handled depends on the setting. With something like MLP, where each race is about equal at a basic level, you can just assume that any character is capable of the basic stuff their race can do. Unicorns can levitate things, Pegasi can fly, and Earth Ponies are stronger than either of the others. You don't even need to give these any mechanical bonuses, you just keep them in mind within the story.

If a particular racial trait is important enough to merit a bonus, the player can make that one of their Tags. I am Graceful, because I am an Elf. And if their race is a very defining part of who they are and what they are good at, it can even be part of their Concept. I am an Orcish Barbarian, or an Earth Pony Baker.

Finally, if there's a race with an incredibly powerful innate ability, they should generally make that their Talent. If all members of a race are powerful psychics, for instance, then a player wanting to play one of them must take 'I can use Psychic Powers' as their Talent.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Hello there!

I talked with Igordragonian earlier today, and it looks like you are both ok with me joining the playtest: thanks!

I haven't read through the system yet, but I should have time to do that over the course of the day.

I do have a vague concept for a character at the moment from the setting notes so far: I was thinking of an earth pony rabble rouser from the trash stable who is trying to pressure society into closing the economic divides between classes. His name: Robbin Hooves.
    Perhaps he could have "procured" a few curiosities for Swift Calculus in the past and built a friendship during those jobs?

I'll try to get a character sheet up and running soon. Thanks again for letting me join in.
    Many thanks to Meto30 for sketching this amazing piece of art, and for allowing me to use it as my avatar!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

[SPOILER=Recruitment info]
    [QUOTE=igordragonian;22595359]Opening Theme

Are the doors locked? Have you closed the curtains?

Very well then. I will tell you this story, but only once. Blizzard Weeps has her eyes and ears everywhere, and her knights would put us to the sword for telling these old, tired tales.

Long ago, Galopardia was ruled by four mighty princesses who all shared its throne. They were very old, and very wise, and to avoid arguing among themselves they ruled our land in turns of three months each. These were what we called the seasons.
    Vesna of Spring, beaming with hope and youth, an eternal filly at times and a young mare in love at others. She melted the snow, and flowers bloomed in her wake. Oh? Yes, you are right, little one. Flowers looked just like the protective wards on our door. There were many kinds of them, in all colours that you can imagine! But where was I? Ah, yes.
    Letta, Princess of Summer, passionate, powerful and hot headed. Always playful and always competetive. Every summer was filled with adventure and memories, as the grass grew higher than our heads could look!
    Dysis, Princess of Autumn, she was timid, calm and wise. As the leaves grew red and yellow, she sang her songs, preparing all nature for the long hibernation. Hers was a quiet time of rest and preparation.

And of course, there was Princess Tundra of Winter. Hers was the cold time that is now our life, one of rest yet also one of judgement. Those who failed to prepare in Autumn and Summer would not survive her reign, whenever it came.

Long ago, a High King has rose to power, more foolish than any pony else, who carried the crown before him. He failed to prepare his subject for winter, and instead of owing up to his mistakes, ordered Princess Tundra to revoke her winter on his city. And when she refused, as was her right, he and the other princesses betrayed her and banished her away.

But without winter, there was no rest. Without rest, there was no strength. Animals became restless, and plants stopped growing. Gallopardia was dying. The ponies begged Tundra to come back. But her heart had become scarred. She returned not by herself, but with an army of cold dragons, set on vengeance and conquest. In the end, three of the princesses and the foolish king were gone.

And Tundra wept for what she had done. In her Tower of Tears, locked away from all sight, she mourns to this day. For this, we call her Blizzard Weeps.

For the snow is her tears, and they cover the world.

---------------------------------------------

Welcome to Gallopardia! This is a pony land, completely alternate to Equestria.
    This is also medival-ish land.
    This is land of eternal winter, but luckily, you are living at

Sources of inspiration: Tolkien's works, Narnia, The Black Cauldron, Frozen, Slavic Mythology

------------------------------------

This is from the original recruitment thread.

Robin Hooves? Intresting.
    For how long has he been active?

12. - Top - End - #12

This is from the original recruitment thread.

Robin Hooves? Intresting.
    For how long has he been active?
    0.0 Claps at the intro

I imagine Hooves would have been making trouble for the ponies in power for five years or so. I imagine him as being more of a speaker than a sneaker if you will, though he can blend into a crowd when necessary. (I have read through character creation and am now working on the specifics.)

I was thinking of including a trademark "I have a group of ponies following me called the Grinning Gallopers." The Gallopers aren't many in number: only five at the moment (they would be based on the Merry Men). Would this complicate things too much, or is adding NPCs in this way ok?
    Many thanks to Meto30 for sketching this amazing piece of art, and for allowing me to use it as my avatar!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, that intro gets me nostalgic. If I recall correctly, I even helped out with it? Either way, Gallopardia is such a neat setting.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHamsterBean View Post
    Hello there!
    Hi there, Blue! Thanks a lot for helping out with this! I'm hoping we can make this a fun game in return.
    I do have a vague concept for a character at the moment from the setting notes so far: I was thinking of an earth pony rabble rouser from the trash stable who is trying to pressure society into closing the economic divides between classes. His name: Robbin Hooves.
    Perhaps he could have "procured" a few curiosities for Swift Calculus in the past and built a friendship during those jobs?
    That sounds like an absolutely excellent idea! Swift is totally the kind of guy who would not bat an eye at making friends with a thief if he believed that someone was hoarding knowledge or otherwise concealing the truth from him. He might even have tipped off Robbin about some corrupt high merchants every now and then.

I was thinking of including a trademark "I have a group of ponies following me called the Grinning Gallopers." The Gallopers aren't many in number: only five at the moment (they would be based on the Merry Men). Would this complicate things too much, or is adding NPCs in this way ok?
    I'll leave it up to Igor to decide on this, since he is the one running things. The Tag system does allow for NPC sidekicks and helpers (who generally are at the scale of usefulness of any other Tag, though obviously a Talent has a bit more weight than that), though whether or not and how many are allowed is definitely setting-, game- and GM-dependant.

I am curious to see how it would work out in play, I'll say. It'd be a good stress-test to see whether we can keep the spotlight on the player characters even with all that backup.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-09-15 at 02:57 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    Hi there, Blue! Thanks a lot for helping out with this! I'm hoping we can make this a fun game in return.

That sounds like an absolutely excellent idea! Swift is totally the kind of guy who would not bat an eye at making friends with a thief if he believed that someone was hoarding knowledge or otherwise concealing the truth from him. He might even have tipped off Robbin about some corrupt high merchants every now and then.
    Hello again! Thanks, and no problem: it's what you might call a win-win scenario I suppose.

I'm glad this works! I look forward to seeing how the two of them play off each other. I imagine they may have starting off as business partners before having found a common interest of some sort (economics? sociology? history?). Robbin wasn't formally educated, but he knows how to read, and reads what books he can find: they offer inspiration and context for his speeches.

I'll leave it up to Igor to decide on this, since he is the one running things. The Tag system does allow for NPC sidekicks and helpers (who generally are at the scale of usefulness of any other Tag, though obviously a Talent has a bit more weight than that), though whether or not and how many are allowed is definitely setting-, game- and GM-dependant.

I am curious to see how it would work out in play, I'll say. It'd be a good stress-test to see whether we can keep the spotlight on the player characters even with all that backup.
    I revised that idea for my sheet, which is given below:

Robbin Hooves

Concept: "I am a charismatic rabble-rouser."
    Talent: "I can blend into a crowd like nopony else when needed."
    Drive: "The ponies with the least suffer the most: I will ensure this nation's ways of wealth become more equitable.
    Flaw: "I am hot headed, and impulsive."
    Trademarks:
    -I am a fiery speaker (persuading, leading)
    -I am perceptive (noticing danger, clues, and social cues)
    -I have quick reflexes (avoiding danger, acrobatics, moving quickly)
    -I have connections with the common folk (I'm likely to have at least one friend in any given outfit)
    Stress: 3
    Drama points: 2

What do you all think?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

oh, what energy!
    And to be fair, Theo has helped me a lot to refine this entry.
    I had grand vision of super epic campiag, or write trilogy of fanfic books.

Anyway.

Well sidekicks, I can work with it, I think.

I DMed in 2e in 1 on 1, for a player who played as sergant commander of an unit.

So, Hooves a local? Is he an earth pony as well?

Mmm, I think easier thing could be, if they are childhood friends?

I have a small issue, specficily for the mystery- either, he is a bit less time spent as lovely bandit inside the city itself, either he ventured around, for example, raiding the rivers, or the forests around.
    The idea is fun and great, it's just the kind of mystery, that happen relativly often in Clover River, and it might be wierd, that he missed it until now- unless he was simply busy with other things.

16. - Top - End - #16

oh, what energy!
    And to be fair, Theo has helped me a lot to refine this entry.
    I had grand vision of super epic campiag, or write trilogy of fanfic books.

Anyway.

Well sidekicks, I can work with it, I think.

I DMed in 2e in 1 on 1, for a player who played as sergant commander of an unit.

So, Hooves a local? Is he an earth pony as well?

Mmm, I think easier thing could be, if they are childhood friends?

I have a small issue, specficily for the mystery- either, he is a bit less time spent as lovely bandit inside the city itself, either he ventured around, for example, raiding the rivers, or the forests around.
    The idea is fun and great, it's just the kind of mystery, that happen relativly often in Clover River, and it might be wierd, that he missed it until now- unless he was simply busy with other things.
    I can see this working as the premise for an awesome fic for sure. I'm excited to game in it too.

On the subject of sidekicks, I actually dropped that part of the character: I figured it would be easier if his trademark was just that he was friends with a lot of people around town so the GM could make up minor helpful NPCs on the spot. Is this better for you?

I was imagining Hooves as a local, and I was planning on him being an earth pony. Childhood friends could be interesting considering that the two seem to have grown up in fairly different circles.

As for the problem of not knowing of the mystery, one thought I had was that I can easily imagine Robbin having gotten caught and exiled for organizing labor strikes or heists in the past. It never sticks (Robbin is hard to keep in one place), but it still takes time to get back home: maybe he only just got back from exile as the mystery was starting?

Another idea could be that Robbin has been connecting with like-minded ponies for the past few years, but hasn't been actively trying to change the system until recently.

What do you think?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The exile thing could work, I think,and even devolep further the worldbuilding-

I imagine, some merchant princes actually own mines, wood cutting areas,and even villages with fields, sort of colonies, where the merchant princes employ very cheap labour, sometimes sending there indebted pponies to work their debt off, and the shadier merchant princes even use slaves. (But not openly)

I think it can be opening scene, where Robin escaping jumping over the ship where Calculus is on.
    "Hey. "
    "It's been awhile"
    Then little army of the merchant's mercnaries chasing them. I can imagine it as quite cinematic opening.

"I see you are doing as usual"

18. - Top - End - #18

The exile thing could work, I think,and even devolep further the worldbuilding-

I imagine, some merchant princes actually own mines, wood cutting areas,and even villages with fields, sort of colonies, where the merchant princes employ very cheap labour, sometimes sending there indebted pponies to work their debt off, and the shadier merchant princes even use slaves. (But not openly)

I think it can be opening scene, where Robin escaping jumping over the ship where Calculus is on.
    "Hey. "
    "It's been awhile"
    Then little army of the merchant's mercnaries chasing them. I can imagine it as quite cinematic opening.

"I see you are doing as usual"
    Hahaha! That sounds brilliant, I'm all for it.

That does add some interesting new bits to the world. I imagine one of the main problems Robbin would be trying to fix through the chaos he causes would be to end indentured servitude ("it doesn't matter how you wound up doing it: work without pay is slavery. And they wonder why more blatant slavers have a foothold, ha!").

Come to think of it, those colonies sound like an ideal spot to organize a laborer's strike. If the strike happens to distract the guards to the point where he and some other indentured/enslaved ponies can escape, all the better... which may or may not be a part of why he is currently running for dear life.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

The funny thing is, as I imagine him, Swift would absolutely be that nonchalant about Robbin bringing a small army to his doorstep. I approve completely. It's a good thing he picked up the disguise talent with that sort of opening, however. We'd have trouble bringing him with for investigations otherwise. XD

This whole thing is taking on an interesting mix of silly and noir tones, which I am really enjoying. Reminds me a lot of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake as far as tone goes, in fact.

By the way, Blue, I see you've taken a bit of liberty with the way you phrased your character's Tags. I am actually kind of glad about that, since I was worried I might have kept the guidelines a bit too restrictive in the rules text. Also glad that you used the Focuses pretty much as intended, for pointing out what you're expecting from your individual Tags. Very happy I got that part across.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, I see we have good chemistry between us. Good.
    So... anything else,before I throw you into the fray?

And yeah, the original tone was more melancholic, but I am happy to shape and devolp things as they go.
    Also, I guess when things get seriouse it will hit harder.

Anyway, anything else we should discuss?

21. - Top - End - #21

The funny thing is, as I imagine him, Swift would absolutely be that nonchalant about Robbin bringing a small army to his doorstep. I approve completely. It's a good thing he picked up the disguise talent with that sort of opening, however. We'd have trouble bringing him with for investigations otherwise. XD

This whole thing is taking on an interesting mix of silly and noir tones, which I am really enjoying. Reminds me a lot of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake as far as tone goes, in fact.

By the way, Blue, I see you've taken a bit of liberty with the way you phrased your character's Tags. I am actually kind of glad about that, since I was worried I might have kept the guidelines a bit too restrictive in the rules text. Also glad that you used the Focuses pretty much as intended, for pointing out what you're expecting from your individual Tags. Very happy I got that part across.
    That's probably a good thing for their friendship considering how often Robbin finds himself in trouble.

As for the phrasing of the tags, I'm kind of embarrassed to say I didn't realize there was supposed to be a rule other than "try to be concise," kind of like in FATE. That either reflects flexible design on your part, a little bit of absentmindedness on mine, or a mixture of the two.

Oh! So that's what the focus rules meant... looks like it's my day to come off as a little silly, ahaha. I mainly was following your lead on the character creation front, and it seemed to make sense to explicitly state what your trademarks could affect, broadly speaking.

I'm glad it all worked out for the best in the end.

Alright, I see we have good chemistry between us. Good.
    So... anything else,before I throw you into the fray?

And yeah, the original tone was more melancholic, but I am happy to shape and devolp things as they go.

Anyway, anything else we should discuss?
    I don't have a whole lot else to say unless you want to brainstorm some past misadventures Theo, though I would imagine those could be put together on the fly ("you and I remember Budapest very differently").

I suppose we'll see what develops on the tone front. If things feel too off-tone for you at any point Igor, feel free to bring it up: the game has to be fun for the GM too after all.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh, I guess a simple mystery story set in this world just isn't going to have the same existential dread as the story revolving around its mythology. I'll try not to go full silly.

As for the phrasing of the tags, I'm kind of embarrassed to say I didn't realize there was supposed to be a rule other than "try to be concise," kind of like in FATE. That either reflects flexible design on your part, a little bit of absentmindedness on mine, or a mixture of the two.
    The specific phrasing is something I copied from the original rules text, but the intent on my end was that you can be a little bit more flexible with that. It's more guidelines than hard rules, if that makes sense.

Oh! So that's what the focus rules meant... looks like it's my day to come off as a little silly, ahaha. I mainly was following your lead on the character creation front, and it seemed to make sense to explicitly state what your trademarks could affect, broadly speaking.

I'm glad it all worked out for the best in the end.
    No worries, these are after all a first draft. If there's any way I can improve them, do feel free to point it out! I'll maybe change around the text on Focuses a little bit, just to make it clearer that they serve a dual purpose.

That is, they both point out what you expect from a given Tag, but can also be later used for Character Advancement.

I don't have a whole lot else to say unless you want to brainstorm some past misadventures Theo, though I would imagine those could be put together on the fly ("you and I remember Budapest very differently").

I suppose we'll see what develops on the tone front. If things feel too off-tone for you at any point Igor, feel free to bring it up: the game has to be fun for the GM too after all.
    Surely that would be Hoofapest?

But no, I'm more the kind of guy who likes to keep loads of free spaces within his characters' backstory so that new details can be filled in during play. In my experience, most characters really only come into their own after the game starts, so it's good not to have defined them or their experiences too strongly beforehand.

The way Resting works is also somewhat intended to encourage that kind of mid-game character building. Or even better, character development.

Either way, I've got nothing else to add as well. Just gonna say I agree that I'm always ready to listen if something's not fun for you, Igor. (Especially mechanically. It's a playtest, after all.) Otherwise, I am ready to go.

23. - Top - End - #23

Heh, I guess a simple mystery story set in this world just isn't going to have the same existential dread as the story revolving around its mythology. I'll try not to go full silly.

The specific phrasing is something I copied from the original rules text, but the intent on my end was that you can be a little bit more flexible with that. It's more guidelines than hard rules, if that makes sense.

No worries, these are after all a first draft. If there's any way I can improve them, do feel free to point it out! I'll maybe change around the text on Focuses a little bit, just to make it clearer that they serve a dual purpose.

That is, they both point out what you expect from a given Tag, but can also be later used for Character Advancement.
    Considering that massive income inequality, indentured servitude, and to an extent, slavery exist in this world, I imagine it won't be hard to create serious moments in this game alongside the silliness. And that's not even getting into what the mystery may be all about.

Guidelines is probably a good idea for a more "freeformy" system. I don't have any suggestions on the subject of wording, but I do have some tentative thoughts about the system's statistics: they should probably wait until we've actually played though (I don't have a good idea of how much of a boost we will commonly get from tags or how many drama points will be moving around in a given scene).

Thanks for clarifying the focus rules. In retrospect, it was obvious what was meant, but my brain didn't link them to the parentheses you were using.

Surely that would be Hoofapest?

But no, I'm more the kind of guy who likes to keep loads of free spaces within his characters' backstory so that new details can be filled in during play. In my experience, most characters really only come into their own after the game starts, so it's good not to have defined them or their experiences too strongly beforehand.

The way Resting works is also somewhat intended to encourage that kind of mid-game character building. Or even better, character development.

Either way, I've got nothing else to add as well. Just gonna say I agree that I'm always ready to listen if something's not fun for you, Igor. (Especially mechanically. It's a playtest, after all.) Otherwise, I am ready to go.
    I tried to think of a good horse pun, but I couldn't come up with something as nice as that. Hoofapest it is!

Letting backstory fill in as the game progresses sounds like a fine idea: I look forward to seeing what crazy antics Hooves and Calculus got up to before the current day.

Let the games cough game begin!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Considering that massive income inequality, indentured servitude, and to an extent, slavery exist in this world, I imagine it won't be hard to create serious moments in this game alongside the silliness. And that's not even getting into what the mystery may be all about.
    True enough on that! There is no shortness on darkness in this setting. Just be glad we are not venturing outside of town. The monsters of Gallopardia are something special.

Guidelines is probably a good idea for a more "freeformy" system. I don't have any suggestions on the subject of wording, but I do have some tentative thoughts about the system's statistics: they should probably wait until we've actually played though (I don't have a good idea of how much of a boost we will commonly get from tags or how many drama points will be moving around in a given scene).
    I actually have the exact same concerns, funnily enough. I'll talk some more about it at a later point, but finding the right die size is something even the creator of Freeform Universal struggled with.

Thanks for clarifying the focus rules. In retrospect, it was obvious what was meant, but my brain didn't link them to the parentheses you were using.
    No worries, it happens to all of us. Especially with new systems. I'll think about how to clear up their rules entree a bit, as it is quite wordy now.

Letting backstory fill in as the game progresses sounds like a fine idea: I look forward to seeing what crazy antics Hooves and Calculus got up to before the current day.

Let the games cough game begin!
    Hear hear! To adventure and anecdotes!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry for the wait!
    The adventure has began!

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...3#post24721393

26. - Top - End - #26

Sorry for the wait!
    The adventure has began!

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...3#post24721393
    No worries: life happens.
    Huzzah! I'll get a post in today when I can.