Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by satorian View Post
    Spoiler: This has been done before.
    Show
    It has even been done before in comics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg_(DC_Comics)
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

2. - Top - End - #272
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PontificatusRex View Post
    Hmm, looks like Rich Burlew is taking a bit of character design inspiration from Danielle - that was not on my bingo card...
    That got a chuckle from me.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

New page is up!

Spoiler
    Show
    And we're back to the Angel! Poor girl, still has one more to go after this.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

I forget, why do they think they have to face the angel to leave again?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

They don't think they have to face the angel. They think they should face the angel because everyone that has so far has leveled up.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    They don't think they have to face the angel.
    Yes they do, Thaco says it on panel 5.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I forget, why do they think they have to face the angel to leave again?
    Yeah, I don't get it either. What looked like a trap is now a part of the dungeon.
    It does make sense however now to have clocks and to have them raising. Timed event! Maybe there's no door yet?

Also there's Thaco left, but probably Pawlush as well.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

8. - Top - End - #278
    Colossus in the Playground

And the angel gets progressively more and more enraged. Thaco is gonna have a really bad time when its his turn. Im thinking she goes straight to the smiting.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Also there's Thaco left, but probably Pawlush as well.
    pawlush is with Ears, he's probably being included in Ears' trial. Not sure if he'll get anything out of it though, he's just a face on a rock at the moment.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Its early days yet. Give it time, big ears may transform into an eldritch abomination that looks like an angel got drunk, boinked a squid, then experimented on the offspring. On a more serious note, it doesnt bother me much because we have the earlier event with complains where he basically got infected by a demonic essence and started turning demon on us, so being inflicted with celestial essence doing the same fits in with the established events well enough.
    Good news! You're part angel.

Bad news! It's one of the ones from Evangelion.

11. - Top - End - #281

Well, I haven't been following as closely of late but updates are still coming out in a reasonable amount. Seems like Elli is okay-ish with her voice now, and won't need voice surgery. Latest update was later than usual, but she also had surgery, which is always a good reason to take a break.

There is a new layout, and it appears to have wiped out the entire Goblins forum? Everything has to be on discord now?

There was a post on the Goblins Animated project

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...n#/updates/all

Posted 20 days ago, previous update was 8 months ago. Once again, the animation was not considered good enough. When you keep going through animators and then firing them because they don't meet your standards, the issue may be you, not them, just saying. Anyway, it's apparently in post production now. This may be a lie, because the previous post of 8 months ago also said the animation was done. It's really hard to believe what I'm told on these news announcements when they blatantly lie like this. How many companies have they gone through now? The original artists, then they hired another for touch ups

I'm surprised they've been able to stretch out the funding for this. They must have paid more than they expected to, there are simply too many times when they needed extra work to be done for it to have come in within the initial budget. We are well over three years since the Go Fund Me, and it just squeaked by. Makes me feel they got way more money then they felt they initially needed, or are borrowing a lot to finish things. Heck, maybe the money Elli is making from the comic is going into this. Can you imagine how many more issues would have cropped up if they had actually gotten the funding for the full cartoon that was initially asked for? Then a new group for touch ups, and then a third for touch ups of the touch ups. I think three total?

One interesting bit of news.

The Show

In an incredible moment, we went back and forth with a very big showrunner (a showrunner for a TV show is kind of like a CEO for a company), and he agreed to help shepherd GA to the screen and become our showrunner! This is a major win for us and also why we have been so quiet. He basically met with Phil and I and gave a bunch of really solid notes that actually forced us to rewrite the entire pilot of the show, revamp the bible and change the pitch entirely. We went back and forth with Elli and she was really amazing in incorporating the vision of our showrunner and making sure that Goblins is still Goblins. It's a refocusing of the work that will allow us to really fit the material to the medium of television while really sticking to and honoring the comic. His notes were really incisive and made us look at things like The Boys, or Watchmen (TV) or Game of Thrones' early seasons as a way to guide us to the quality we're looking for.

There are a ton of webcomics that would work better for TV than this one. Girl Genius hasn't even had an animation, and there isn't even that much material for Goblins to work with. I honestly have a hard time believing that Goblins would be the one to break into television. It's pretty niche, full of pathos, and gore. Sounds like the plot will be extremely different from the comic, if it does get released though, so that kinda defeats the purpose.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2021-03-08 at 12:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #282

Goblins not having as much in the way of detail as girl genius is actually a plus. It gives the animators tons of room to flesh out the plot points and what happens in between because unlike GG where it often seems like every minute is accounted for, there is tons of leeway in goblins to add in more stuff without countering the established lore. Like, taking minmax and forgath from the goblin warcamp back to brassmoon. There are all sorts of openings for episodes to flesh out what happened between point a and point b because we dont know exactly how long the trip was or what happened on it. Meanwhile in the castle arc of GG we have 30 years worth of comics covering the events of two days. Not much room to fit in extra stuff, and thats a lot of info to fit into the episodes to hit all the important points so less room to wiggle.

The issue with adapting comics/manga to anime/cartoons is generally condensing events to fit the season structure. You have to hit the right number of events to end at the appropriate point for each season, and when the source material is super dense like GG, thats a lot of potential cutting and trimming being done so agatha, for example, gets to wake up on castle wulfenbach before the end of the first season. Or maybe escapes from castle wulfenbach for the season finale. Meanwhile goblins has way less that has to be covered, allowing writers to write out filler that lets them properly pace the series without rushing. Its honestly a common thing on youtube for anime adaptations of manga to have reviewers keeping track of everything cut out from the series to make it fit. That will be less of an issue with Goblins.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #283

First off, Goblins is a very tightly woven story, even more so than Girl Genius. How much time has passed? A week or two since the camp was destroyed? Girl Genius has had a couple time skips, at least.

Even if that wasn't the case though, that is still not true at all. Girl Genius could easily take place in that nebulous time that takes place after the events of the comic takes place, if the writers didn't want to feel trapped by the story. There are radio shows (I listened to a few of these and they were hilarious), novels, and even short stories taking place in the future, or in parallel universes long with Girl Genius fairy tails. Girl Genius has a surprising amount of episodic content in other medias, there is no reason that a GG tv show wouldn't be able to follow along in that mold.

Anyway, that was just an example. The fact is that western webcomics have been completely unable to get so much as a single tv show created that was based around their IP. Not even some netflix special. Like, can you name a single webcomic that has ever managed to break into film? Girl Genius is the closest I know of. I've seen a few comic books in stores of some other series too, but that's as far as it's ever gotten. Books have been made into the screen, games have too, comic books are super big right now, but webcomics? Youtube creators? Freaking Newgrounds. Man, Newgrounds had some amazing short animations. It honestly pisses me off how little attention we get.

Heck, it's taken until the last decade or so for comic superheroes to finally get major attention, being considered low brow entertainment for most of the time they've existed. A few cartoons, a few movies starring Batman or Superman, and the occasional tv series. They were there, but not really front and center. There is so much content out there that we just do not even touch. Goblins is fine and all, but I just would be unable to understand how it managed to succeed when everyone else failed, when it's not even all that famous, or even really all that family friendly.

Last edited by tomaO2; 2021-03-08 at 02:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]First off, Goblins is a very tightly woven story, even more so than Girl Genius. How much time has passed? A week or two since the camp was destroyed? Girl Genius has had a couple time skips, at least.
    That's a different conception of detail (one in which Freefall wins, hands down). Time passed is not the primary measure by which most people would measure how well the base premise of a story could be replicated. However, without the primary story, a lot of the characters become generic protagonist and supporting cast. Goblins, although dense in events over time, is relatively sparse on necessary detail. A new viewer could be sat down, told "It follows the adventures of a band of, well, goblins, as they fight off evil adventurers. It's a role reversal of the typical adventure RPG Dungeons & Dragons, though familiarity with the game isn't required to understand what's happening. The main story follows five members of a cannon-fodder goblin tribe (Thaco, Chief, Big-Ears, Complains-of-Names, and Fumbles) who decide to stop being cannon fodder and become Player Characters.* The Dwarven Paladin Kore is the primary villain." and run with the storyline.
    Yes, that's right off the TVTROPES page.

Even if that wasn't the case though, that is still not true at all. Girl Genius could easily take place in that nebulous time that takes place after the events of the comic takes place, if the writers didn't want to feel trapped by the story. There are radio shows (I listened to a few of these and they were hilarious), novels, and even short stories taking place in the future, or in parallel universes long with Girl Genius fairy tails. Girl Genius has a surprising amount of episodic content in other medias, there is no reason that a GG tv show wouldn't be able to follow along in that mold.
    The main story of Girl Genius is a complex interweaving of plots and schemes from a number of power players throughout the universe (most of which have to be introduced and explained for their actions to make sense). Yes, the radio shows and alt-continuities can happen, and if not considered canon work fine in isolation to the primary story. Without the main story, however, it isn't clear who most of these characters are, what their motivations are, or why they are together (or competing, in the case of antagonists). One can either fix that by re-establishing all that backstory over the course of several seasons, or just keep the whole thing generic and it is the wacky adventures of female Protagonist and her group of friends (in effect turning Girl Genius into roughly the same thing as Goblins).

Anyway, that was just an example. The fact is that western webcomics have been completely unable to get so much as a single tv show created that was based around their IP. Not even some netflix special. Like, can you name a single webcomic that has ever managed to break into film? Girl Genius is the closest I know of. I've seen a few comic books in stores of some other series too, but that's as far as it's ever gotten. Books have been made into the screen, games have too, comic books are super big right now, but webcomics? Youtube creators? Freaking Newgrounds. Man, Newgrounds had some amazing short animations. It honestly pisses me off how little attention we get.

Heck, it's taken until the last decade or so for comic superheroes to finally get major attention, being considered low brow entertainment for most of the time they've existed. A few cartoons, a few movies starring Batman or Superman, and the occasional tv series. They were there, but not really front and center. There is so much content out there that we just do not even touch. Goblins is fine and all, but I just would be unable to understand how it managed to succeed when everyone else failed, when it's not even all that famous, or even really all that family friendly.
    It's frustrating, especially since things like almost no premise have gotten green lit, as have adaptations to let's-be-clear-very-good-but-at-the-time-not-wildly-well-known comics that aren't specifically different from webcomics, but did have the advantage of having seen print. It's not clear why such and such property is seen as a great place to mine for the next big thing to convert to movie/tv show and other things aren't.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

the TV show "The dating guy" technically arose from the webcomic "Least I Could Do".

"Technically" in that the creators of "Least I Could Do" reached out to a network to try and make an animated TV show for their webcomic, and instead the Network stole the idea, changed some characters around, and made a show with the same concept without the creators of "Least I Could Do".

not exactly a promising history, but i mean... might count?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286

Pah, at least when Five Nights at Freddies was stolen and made into Wally's Wonderland, people knew where the inspiration came from. I'm sure tons of good ideas have been stolen over the years. I don't think they count (interesting bit of trivia though). There is a funny comic called Casey and Andy. The guy that wrote that also wrote the story for that 2011's The Martian. I believe I recall a situation where an author was unable to pass a script off as a movie, so he made it into a webcomic as a way to promote it (comic is Marry Me, by Bobby Crosby). Nothing happened with it, of course. I know other webcomic authors that got into cartoons as well, but never, EVER, does a webcomic get brought in. It's just infuriating. No one can achieve mainstrem success through webcomics in the west. You can with video game, novels, or even fanfictions (looking at you Fifty Shades of Grey), but never, EVER, a webcomic/webcartoon.

Heck, even newspaper comics don't get any attention anymore. Those were the webcomics before internet. When is the last time a new newspaper comic became successful?

I'm sick of all the reboots. Of these corporations pretending that there just isn't any other areas to mine for stories. I don't care what finally breaks through, I just want SOMETHING to shatter this glass ceiling (with the qualifier of it being popular, else that will probably doom any future attempts for a decade). Given the current trends though, it looks like they will just mine manga, and other indie successes that come from Japan instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    That's a different conception of detail (one in which Freefall wins, hands down). Time passed is not the primary measure by which most people would measure how well the base premise of a story could be replicated. However, without the primary story, a lot of the characters become generic protagonist and supporting cast. Goblins, although dense in events over time, is relatively sparse on necessary detail. A new viewer could be sat down, told "It follows the adventures of a band of, well, goblins, as they fight off evil adventurers. It's a role reversal of the typical adventure RPG Dungeons & Dragons, though familiarity with the game isn't required to understand what's happening. The main story follows five members of a cannon-fodder goblin tribe (Thaco, Chief, Big-Ears, Complains-of-Names, and Fumbles) who decide to stop being cannon fodder and become Player Characters.* The Dwarven Paladin Kore is the primary villain." and run with the storyline

I find the post a little confusing, but you seem to be saying that Goblins will be following canon if made into an animation? From everything I'm seeing, Goblins is going to completely torch the story of the comics to do some alt universe where the GAP and the adventurers are buddies, and no one is going to die gruesome deaths at Kore's hands (I don't think I could stand to see Chief being killed again as an animation. I dunno why, given I've seen a ton of gore, but those images disturb me).

If you are saying that Goblins is just simpler to get into. Again, if they go the route that the radio show did, then anyone can jump in without knowing anything, and those shows are funny. Feels like funny is dying on the screen these days. I saw a review for Coming 2 America, and the reviewer is talking about how they have to explain the jokes now, or else someone will take the fact that actions shown in the movie are also condoned. This is where we are at, I guess. I heard that comedies are less popular because they don't do as well in many foreign markets, so there is that disincentive as well.

Anyway, if Elli can do it, then great. I would hope others could follow in her footsteps, but I just don't get how. I hope to hear all about how it was accomplished, because it would be a milestone for webcomics representation.

I want this to happen. I want to finally get get our own version of One Punch Man. It's a great success story that we need to emulate. A small time creator, who can barely draw, wrote a story that became world famous. No reason we can't do the same thing. If that person is Elli, then that is who it is. I'm always interested in reading more about this project moving foreword.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2021-03-08 at 07:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]
    . No one can achieve mainstrem success through webcomics in the west. You can with video game, novels, or even fanfictions (looking at you Fifty Shades of Grey), but never, EVER, a webcomic/webcartoon.
    In the Far West, maybe Europe has some webcomics that went mainstream, Zerocalcare probably being the most egregious example, complete with a live-action movie, plus a Netflix series already in the works.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

If you are saying that Goblins is just simpler to get into. Again, if they go the route that the radio show did, then anyone can jump in without knowing anything, and those shows are funny.
    Those shows are funny to you who is already invested in the characters through the incredibly intricate main story. If you did not know Agatha and company from the main comic, they are just generic protagonists. If they are generic protagonists, getting caught up on who they are and why you care about them pretty much requires re-doing all the plot lines from the main comic. Goblins, otoh, can be roughly summed up with 'they are goblin adventurers in a world where that's not the norm, here are 2-3 things you need to know about each of them...' and you are off and running. That is my point.

19. - Top - End - #289

I really don't think I need to read the comic to find the radio show funny, and the radio show does a good summery of everyone. https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20070829

I'm not really sure why they count as generic protagonists, while the Goblins are not.

I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on this. Doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    In the Far West, maybe Europe has some webcomics that went mainstream, Zerocalcare probably being the most egregious example, complete with a live-action movie, plus a Netflix series already in the works.
    If it's internet based, then you will have a link, right? I can't find one with a quick search.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2021-03-09 at 06:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Banned

Personally, the odds of Elli managing to actually finish a project are so low that I dont really see the point in this argument anyway.

21. - Top - End - #291

If it's internet based, then you will have a link, right? I can't find one with a quick search.[/FONT]
    Www.Zerocalcare.it

Some English translations are available on Amazon (Forget My Name, Tentacles at My Throat, and a few more).
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2021-03-10 at 04:38 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292

When I put the website through google. I can translate the website itself, at least. Originally Italian. It's a bit hard to navigate. Is this right? The last comic was two years ago? I see a couple you tube videos but nothing that goes past 5 minutes. Not really a high comment ratio either. About 12 books. Hmm. Well, good for this guy. Thanks for the link.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

new page is up.

Spoiler
    Show

just 2 1/2 cute people being cute. that's it. that's the comic.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2021-03-17 at 11:28 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    new page is up.

Spoiler
    Show

just 2 1/2 cute people being cute. that's it. that's the comic.
    I can think of a lot worse bases for a comic. I liked it after the drama and conflict of the last angel visits.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

25. - Top - End - #295

Well,
    Spoiler
    Show
    At least she has calmed down, poor creature was on the verge of falling from sheer rage and becoming a balor or something. Yeah thats probably not how it works in D&D but still, she was getting ticked off to the point that her not just smiting the next goblin she sees on general principle was getting unlikely. Lets see how long it lasts.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah, i can handle some cute in Goblins every now and again. Its a nice change of pace from the constant horror grimfest that has been this dungeon in particular.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like talking-backpack, whatever their name is, shouldn't have been transported along.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-03-18 at 07:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I feel like talking-backpack, whatever their name is, shouldn't have been transported along.
    They are, theoretically, an item that contains a soul rather than a totally separate living being. I can see it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #299

I think any oddities with transportation can be explained by the angel being sloppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

30. - Top - End - #300
    Bugbear in the Playground

This one actually made me laugh.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)