New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Or he's somebody who needs a lift out of the desert who figured that holding a big "adventure" sign would get people's attention.
    Thats covered by the murderin option.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #422
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

The eyeballs on the platform are new.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2021-04-10 at 12:03 AM.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    H'uh, you're right. Might be due to the corruption from the axe. If you compare Ears' visit to the Angel with Complain's and Vorpal's, their visits didn't have the hellstrands between and around the pannels.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nice, I hadn't noticed it. I wonder if the stoned angel will.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Nice, I hadn't noticed it. I wonder if the stoned angel will.
    I strongly suspect that's the actual reason she's dropped the papers, not the ridiculous "you are his mother" argument. She's just noticed the axe and/or the encroaching presence of the demon associated with it.

6. - Top - End - #426

Ten gold says dropping the papers is the "you are his mother" argument.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Did anyone mention the gorey border hasn't been present in previous Angel scenes, but is now?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

8. - Top - End - #428
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I find it kind of funny (I find it kind of sad) that the two main views on the demonic presence and its relation to the 'mother' argument being made. Either the angel is falling for the argument, which is dumb, or Ellie wrote it that way knowing that people would fall for it because they have so little respect for her that it seems like something she would write. Here's to hoping for the latter.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    I find it kind of funny (I find it kind of sad) that the two main views on the demonic presence and its relation to the 'mother' argument being made. Either the angel is falling for the argument, which is dumb, or Ellie wrote it that way knowing that people would fall for it because they have so little respect for her that it seems like something she would write. Here's to hoping for the latter.
    Main View #1 is as you said.

Main View #2, however, is that obviously the Angel isn't falling for the dumb argument, but reacting instead to something off-panel, per Ellie's subtle art hints.

I don't see how #2 contains a "readers have so little respect for her" aspect. It certainly wasn't part of how that view was discussed in this thread so far.

Maybe that's #3?
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

10. - Top - End - #430
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    We have a winner! One of our grumpier players decided to open fire on the weirdo in the dessert with an adventure sign and things went downhill from there. In retrospect I do think it wasn't the worst idea a new DM could come up with though.
    I would certainly get grumpy if I found a weirdo in my dessert.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

11. - Top - End - #431
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Main View #2, however, is that obviously the Angel isn't falling for the dumb argument, but reacting instead to something off-panel, per Ellie's subtle art hints.

I don't see how #2 contains a "readers have so little respect for her" aspect. It certainly wasn't part of how that view was discussed in this thread so far.
    Nah. I totally agree with #2. "This is extremely stupid, but it's the type of thing Ellie would write" is definitely something that crossed my mind during the discussion.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I don't know. Even if it turns out that the angel is buying the argument, I'm not going to be overly critical of Elli on it (I mean, this entire stopwatches-angel-deathpit-everyone-somehow-will-escape storyline is pretty meh, but this small sub-part isn't necessarily that much worse than the total). It is a dumb argument, to be sure. However, if the focus is that the angel is just that stoned/incompetent that it's vaguely compelling to her, well then it's just more of the 'hurr de hurr, this angel really sucks at her job' bit we've already gotten (which, to me, my response is 'yeah we got it, Elli, can we move on now?'). Now if Elli telegraphs that the angel buys it, and that it isn't a dumb argument, yeah then I'd be disappointed.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-04-16 at 10:22 AM.

13. - Top - End - #433

I do like the idea of the angel noticing the corruption of the axe and thats what she is reacting to. But more likely she actually is shocked by the argument. However, there are two main reactions I can think of that would warrant that expression.

1) Omg its true! You mah baby! Come here snuggle wuggums!

2) She goes full billy madison Then pulls the lever.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #434
    Barbarian in the Playground

The main reason I hope this whole "he's your 'kid'" thread just drops asap is because it's being spun as if she needs to respect that bond...

But the horn was cut off of her by a demonic goblin in defiance of her will and the horn was used on Big Ears without her knowledge or consent. I highly doubt that any of the characters are going to acknowledge those points because they're either distracted by the hellscaping or because they're going to geek out on the "half-celestial" thing.

It just doesn't seem like a well-thought-out argument, and it seems like the kind of thing a good-natured person like Big Ears should feel guilty about.

15. - Top - End - #435

If we're going there, I would point out that the "demonic goblin" in question was defending himself.

16. - Top - End - #436

My main point is that it's weird that the take they're going with is "He's your son, your blood... that you did not want nor did you consent to, and the person that cut that horn off of you was openly hostile to you (though she was hostile first) before handing that horn-piece to your 'child'"...

It's just an absurd story idea that's being passed off as having any value without a shred of self-awareness so far.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    My main point is that it's weird that the take they're going with is "He's your son, your blood... that you did not want nor did you consent to, and the person that cut that horn off of you was openly hostile to you (though she was hostile first) before handing that horn-piece to your 'child'"...

It's just an absurd story idea that's being passed off as having any value without a shred of self-awareness so far.
    This could still be subverted by the angel buying the argument and still pulling the "death" lever as she is bound to do it as part of the punishment that keeps her at the lever duty.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You know, it occurs to me. The death lever opens up to basically a sphere of annihilation, right? So what happens if they drop the axe in it? Will the demon get released into it and be annihilated?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #439

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    You know, it occurs to me. The death lever opens up to basically a sphere of annihilation, right? So what happens if they drop the axe in it? Will the demon get released into it and be annihilated?
    Something tells me no. If it was that easy they wouldnt have bothered sealing it away instead. Its more likely it would infect this demiplane or wherever they are and move on from there. No longer sealed in the axe.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post

Not really? People raise and care for children borne from non consensual situations sometimes. It's an unfortunate reality, but no less real.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Let's have a moment of positivity.

Some time ago, I heard that Schlock Mercenary was ending, and started thinking about whether I would use that opportunity to pick it up again. My mind wandered to Goblins, because Schlock Mercenary seemed to do right everything Goblins did wrong. And I realized that I would rather watch these beloved characters suffer than go back to reading about the adventures of the cute galactic dictator wombat.

As you were.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

The last 30% of schlock kind of fell off in quality. You're probably better not catching up...

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Not really? People raise and care for children borne from non consensual situations sometimes. It's an unfortunate reality, but no less real.
    The angel didn't raise Big Ears tho, they literally have no relationship. Even if we accept the premise that they're related her connection would be more like an egg donor. Which is to say she has no responsibility or right of him and vice versa. I'm being extremely generous by accepting the premise and saying it's like an egg donor.

I'd say it's somewhere between an organ donor and an egg donor. If you donate an organ to someone they are "your flesh and blood" but, like.... ugh. Give me a break. She's not his mom, he already has a mom somewhere in the goblin village if Kore didn't genocide them already.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

24. - Top - End - #444

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    The angel didn't raise Big Ears tho, they literally have no relationship. Even if we accept the premise that they're related her connection would be more like an egg donor. Which is to say she has no responsibility or right of him and vice versa. I'm being extremely generous by accepting the premise and saying it's like an egg donor.

I'd say it's somewhere between an organ donor and an egg donor. If you donate an organ to someone they are "your flesh and blood" but, like.... ugh. Give me a break. She's not his mom, he already has a mom somewhere in the goblin village if Kore didn't genocide them already.
    Adding to that, if someone mugs me in an alley and cuts out one of my kidneys, I certainly won't have any parental feelings for the person that ends up with that kidney. It's not like she donated that horn willingly.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I mean, I kinda hope that the argument is giving her pause, not because it works, but because in all her time on this job no one has ever tried something so stupid to get out of dying.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

26. - Top - End - #446

BardGuy

The closest real-life equivalent would be someone ambushing you in a side street, cutting off your hair and running away, then having a buddy of his show up the next day with your hair implanted in his formerly-bald scalp and claiming it gives you some sort of deep connection.

I mean, it's a hilarious concept, but not one to be taken seriously.

27. - Top - End - #447

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    The closest real-life equivalent would be someone ambushing you in a side street, cutting off your hair and running away, then having a buddy of his show up the next day with your hair implanted in his formerly-bald scalp and claiming it gives you some sort of deep connection.

I mean, it's a hilarious concept, but not one to be taken seriously.
    Ehhh its not actually that close. I mean, wearing your hair doesnt change your entire freaking RACE to match the person you took it from. Its still a bit jankey of a claim to make, but its not that far of a stretch since you are now literally half celestial as if she had been your momma with a gobbo father. And it was all due to her "contribution" that it happened. If D&D had genetics I bet it would at LEAST say they are related if not "You ARE the mother!"

28. - Top - End - #448
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post

People don't have a relationship with their fetus either when it's first conceived, but they still can choose to raise it. All relationships have to have a start point.

Anyway, I don't like this argument so I'm gonna drop it. I think the idea of her being his mom is just as stupid as the rest of you. My point was just that people do sometimes form relationships with children they didn't consent to having.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Speaking of which, the new page is up.

Spoiler
    Show
    This reads very much like she doesnt necessarily know about the validity of the argument, but likes the idea and likes Big Ears, so she's going with it anyway.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-04-28 at 10:27 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

New comic is up!

Spoiler
    Show
    You guys don't get to be happy :P
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show