New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

OK, odd question: did Google delist the Goblins Animated Campaign? I suddenly can't find it through the search engine. Does this happen to anyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

try looking up "goblins animated Indiegogo", first result for me.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2020-10-13 at 12:00 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33

Now it's working for me too. Odd, maybe Google was updating its listings. Well, better this way.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

And now we get to see Complains's side!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

Im seriously expecting him to get dropped just because he wont shut UP about how she smells to him. Also, I think he is going to go all rules lawyer over this. "COULD" I be a good chief? Of course! I "could" also be a terrible one. Or an average one. Or above and below average as well for other options. These are some really dumb and pointless questions.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im seriously expecting him to get dropped just because he wont shut UP about how she smells to him. Also, I think he is going to go all rules lawyer over this. "COULD" I be a good chief? Of course! I "could" also be a terrible one. Or an average one. Or above and below average as well for other options. These are some really dumb and pointless questions.
    He’s going to rip her horn off. And deservingly so.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #37

Definitely seems like this segment serves to critique their own writing, especially with the "seems a bit contrived but whatever" line. In a way, it's almost too meta.

Also, that's a terrible question. A better one would be a "Why" question: "Why would you be a beneficial chief for your clan?" It automatically requires him to be introspective in a way that can't just be answered with a simple "yes" or "no".

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok, that’s an awful question, from the meta context of being ‘on the character sheet’. Being on the character sheet implied to me that it is a simple, stat related thing, but outside the normal knowledge of the characters: “what is your strength score?”. Or something straightforward like a name. But this is much more involved, as are all the other things mentioned as being on Nane’s sheet. It’s a background thing, sure, and could be written on a character sheet, but it doesn’t feel like the right sort of question for the set up.

Maybe that’s the point. Maybe the next comic will show Names saying “THAT’S on my character sheet?” But I kind of doubt it. Perhaps I’m being unfair, but the very clunky dialogue lately doesn’t exactly give me high hopes for a well written strip. I’m mostly still following out of bored curiosity and habit at this stage.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

9. - Top - End - #39

Yup, it definitely sounds like a note in the backstory. "He could make a fine chief." I've got to say, Fumbles should try out summoning some character sheets, like Young and Beautiful did at the beginning.

Unrelated, but, to me, Complains always felt like the real leader in the narrative.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Unrelated, but, to me, Complains always felt like the real leader in the narrative.

I'm not so sure he feels like the leader. The main character? Yes. Leader? Not so much. He basically follows along and does whatever everyone else wants, and has to be regularly reigned in by his pops.

11. - Top - End - #41

Seventeen days since the last one. It's going a little bit slower for the past couple updates but an average of once every 2-3 weeks is a pace I honestly never expected to see again in my lifetime.

That makes update number 12 of the speedy schedule!

I'll add my agreement to the others. It's an obvious question. I would suppose the answer would be something like "I could but my father would be better" and the angel disagrees saying Complains would be a great chief, and they argue and it turns into a fight, where he gets her horn, which doesn't stink like the rest of her, I guess. She pins him down, makes him chief, all done.

I wonder if Elli is stretching this out due to the positive feedback of the character. I was kinda thinking only one of the goblins would be getting the future stuff, but it's looking like all of them might be doing the full question/answer?

I'm finding this arc a little dull.

12. - Top - End - #42

I dont think its being stretched out because elli thinks its going great so much as I think its meant to be a power up excuse before they go to hell. they need some levels if they want to even survive long enough to enter the place. And there has to be a justification for it beyond them just all going up a level. So a nice "rp" scene to get some exp and in complains case, get a weapon that would actually help in hell as well as a level. Im pretty sure level 5 is still kinda low for the setting but better than 4 I guess :p.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

I guess the question about being a chief is because Complains was destined to bear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. *cough* Sorry, wrong story. But there has to be something about future destiny in the character sheet. Even goblin's names often signify their unavoidable fate (Dies Horribly, Saves a Fox etc.) so the tellers have to take that information from somewhere.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I guess the question about being a chief is because Complains was destined to bear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. *cough* Sorry, wrong story. But there has to be something about future destiny in the character sheet. Even goblin's names often signify their unavoidable fate (Dies Horribly, Saves a Fox etc.) so the tellers have to take that information from somewhere.
    Is that a Conan reference? It's been a long time since I've read Conan but it feels like a Conan reference for some reason.

She seemed pretty surprised she didn't manage to kill Fumbles, so if she can see the future it isn't perfect.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Is that a Conan reference? It's been a long time since I've read Conan but it feels like a Conan reference for some reason.
    Conan is indeed king of Aquilonia in a couple stories (including the very first Conan story ever) and I think this exact sentence is from the movies who keep teasing but never showing his eventual ascension to the throne.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

She seemed pretty surprised she didn't manage to kill Fumbles, so if she can see the future it isn't perfect.
    Well, let me tell you of the days of high adventure.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

Man, that's even older than I am. And that's saying something.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Man, that's even older than I am. And that's saying something.
    That you're under 38?
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That you're under 38?
    Which is old.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Which is old.
    The implication being that the rest of us already have both feet in the grave, and are just waiting for someone to throw dirt in on top of us.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    The implication being that the rest of us already have both feet in the grave, and are just waiting for someone to throw dirt in on top of us.
    Well yes, I am thirty now after all. That's basically just being dead with a delay right?
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    (...) That's basically just being dead with a delay right?
    Here you just described the general idea of living.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

at thirty i think you've got another good ten years or so before that applies. with the wonders of medical science, thirty is the new twenty and whatnot.

after that though, expect to spend two-thirds of your natural lifespan as an elder. the downside to the wonders of medical science. Forty is not the new Thirty. Forty is still forty.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Here you just described the general idea of living.
    Life is lag!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

I approve.

On that subject there is a movie called "Life as a Fatal Sexually Transmitted Disease". It is a bit obscure I guess, but a really good and thoughtful one. And with a witty title obviously.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Ok, that’s an awful question, from the meta context of being ‘on the character sheet’. Being on the character sheet implied to me that it is a simple, stat related thing, but outside the normal knowledge of the characters: “what is your strength score?”. Or something straightforward like a name. But this is much more involved, as are all the other things mentioned as being on Nane’s sheet. It’s a background thing, sure, and could be written on a character sheet, but it doesn’t feel like the right sort of question for the set up.

Maybe that’s the point. Maybe the next comic will show Names saying “THAT’S on my character sheet?” But I kind of doubt it. Perhaps I’m being unfair, but the very clunky dialogue lately doesn’t exactly give me high hopes for a well written strip. I’m mostly still following out of bored curiosity and habit at this stage.
    How to tell if a D&D character would be a good chief, based on their character sheet:

Look at Wisdom, Charisma, and Intelligence stats. If all three are above 10, the answer is probably. If at least two are above 14, the answer is definitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    How to tell if a D&D character would be a good chief, based on their character sheet:

Look at Wisdom, Charisma, and Intelligence stats. If all three are above 10, the answer is probably. If at least two are above 14, the answer is definitely.
    Holy cripes you don't want to take a quick look at the alignment first?

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Holy cripes you don't want to take a quick look at the alignment first?
    Hahaha, that's great -- the Angel is going to go "no you cannot be a good chief, because you are NE"

I mean, I'm not sure he is, but Thac0 did hint to him going down that road.

EDIT: this isn't a description of an update, just a joke that doesn't seem too unlikely.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-10-21 at 02:46 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Isnt she going to put him through the ceremony "to make a point" though? My guess is that he bitterly answers that its a stupid question because he's not a goblin anymore and cant be chief no matter how good a job he could have done at it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #60

Hahaha, that's great -- the Angel is going to go "no you cannot be a good chief, because you are NE"

I mean, I'm not sure he is, but Thac0 did hint to him going down that road.

EDIT: this isn't a description of an update, just a joke that doesn't seem too unlikely.
    If Ellipsis has the bad taste to say Complains' alignment is actively evil now because his response to "the heavily armed mass murdering brigand who killed most of our friends for profit and has never indicated seeing anything wrong with doing so is not at this moment attacking us" was "I'll kill him before he resumes being dangerous," I will...continue to be pissed off about that. Which I already am. So she has nothing to lose by writing it, really.

Edit: But the question is "beneficial chief," not "good chief."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post

What if two are above 14, but the other one's 3?
    Spoiler: Example
    Show
    Last edited by Kish; 2020-10-22 at 12:21 AM.