Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 280
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    OK, odd question: did Google delist the Goblins Animated Campaign? I suddenly can't find it through the search engine. Does this happen to anyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Draconi Redfir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gobbotopia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    try looking up "goblins animated Indiegogo", first result for me.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2020-10-13 at 12:00 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show


  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Now it's working for me too. Odd, maybe Google was updating its listings. Well, better this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    And now we get to see Complains's side!

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Im seriously expecting him to get dropped just because he wont shut UP about how she smells to him. Also, I think he is going to go all rules lawyer over this. "COULD" I be a good chief? Of course! I "could" also be a terrible one. Or an average one. Or above and below average as well for other options. These are some really dumb and pointless questions.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im seriously expecting him to get dropped just because he wont shut UP about how she smells to him. Also, I think he is going to go all rules lawyer over this. "COULD" I be a good chief? Of course! I "could" also be a terrible one. Or an average one. Or above and below average as well for other options. These are some really dumb and pointless questions.
    He’s going to rip her horn off. And deservingly so.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Wildstag's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Alamogordo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Definitely seems like this segment serves to critique their own writing, especially with the "seems a bit contrived but whatever" line. In a way, it's almost too meta.

    Also, that's a terrible question. A better one would be a "Why" question: "Why would you be a beneficial chief for your clan?" It automatically requires him to be introspective in a way that can't just be answered with a simple "yes" or "no".

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Ok, that’s an awful question, from the meta context of being ‘on the character sheet’. Being on the character sheet implied to me that it is a simple, stat related thing, but outside the normal knowledge of the characters: “what is your strength score?”. Or something straightforward like a name. But this is much more involved, as are all the other things mentioned as being on Nane’s sheet. It’s a background thing, sure, and could be written on a character sheet, but it doesn’t feel like the right sort of question for the set up.

    Maybe that’s the point. Maybe the next comic will show Names saying “THAT’S on my character sheet?” But I kind of doubt it. Perhaps I’m being unfair, but the very clunky dialogue lately doesn’t exactly give me high hopes for a well written strip. I’m mostly still following out of bored curiosity and habit at this stage.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Yup, it definitely sounds like a note in the backstory. "He could make a fine chief." I've got to say, Fumbles should try out summoning some character sheets, like Young and Beautiful did at the beginning.

    Unrelated, but, to me, Complains always felt like the real leader in the narrative.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Unrelated, but, to me, Complains always felt like the real leader in the narrative.

    I'm not so sure he feels like the leader. The main character? Yes. Leader? Not so much. He basically follows along and does whatever everyone else wants, and has to be regularly reigned in by his pops.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    tomaO2's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Seventeen days since the last one. It's going a little bit slower for the past couple updates but an average of once every 2-3 weeks is a pace I honestly never expected to see again in my lifetime.

    That makes update number 12 of the speedy schedule!

    I'll add my agreement to the others. It's an obvious question. I would suppose the answer would be something like "I could but my father would be better" and the angel disagrees saying Complains would be a great chief, and they argue and it turns into a fight, where he gets her horn, which doesn't stink like the rest of her, I guess. She pins him down, makes him chief, all done.

    I wonder if Elli is stretching this out due to the positive feedback of the character. I was kinda thinking only one of the goblins would be getting the future stuff, but it's looking like all of them might be doing the full question/answer?

    I'm finding this arc a little dull.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    I dont think its being stretched out because elli thinks its going great so much as I think its meant to be a power up excuse before they go to hell. they need some levels if they want to even survive long enough to enter the place. And there has to be a justification for it beyond them just all going up a level. So a nice "rp" scene to get some exp and in complains case, get a weapon that would actually help in hell as well as a level. Im pretty sure level 5 is still kinda low for the setting but better than 4 I guess :p.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    I guess the question about being a chief is because Complains was destined to bear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. *cough* Sorry, wrong story. But there has to be something about future destiny in the character sheet. Even goblin's names often signify their unavoidable fate (Dies Horribly, Saves a Fox etc.) so the tellers have to take that information from somewhere.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I guess the question about being a chief is because Complains was destined to bear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. *cough* Sorry, wrong story. But there has to be something about future destiny in the character sheet. Even goblin's names often signify their unavoidable fate (Dies Horribly, Saves a Fox etc.) so the tellers have to take that information from somewhere.
    Is that a Conan reference? It's been a long time since I've read Conan but it feels like a Conan reference for some reason.

    She seemed pretty surprised she didn't manage to kill Fumbles, so if she can see the future it isn't perfect.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Is that a Conan reference? It's been a long time since I've read Conan but it feels like a Conan reference for some reason.
    Conan is indeed king of Aquilonia in a couple stories (including the very first Conan story ever) and I think this exact sentence is from the movies who keep teasing but never showing his eventual ascension to the throne.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Is that a Conan reference? It's been a long time since I've read Conan but it feels like a Conan reference for some reason.

    She seemed pretty surprised she didn't manage to kill Fumbles, so if she can see the future it isn't perfect.
    Well, let me tell you of the days of high adventure.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Man, that's even older than I am. And that's saying something.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Man, that's even older than I am. And that's saying something.
    That you're under 38?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That you're under 38?
    Which is old.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Torath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sharangar's Revenge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Which is old.
    The implication being that the rest of us already have both feet in the grave, and are just waiting for someone to throw dirt in on top of us.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dragonus45's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    The implication being that the rest of us already have both feet in the grave, and are just waiting for someone to throw dirt in on top of us.
    Well yes, I am thirty now after all. That's basically just being dead with a delay right?
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    (...) That's basically just being dead with a delay right?
    Here you just described the general idea of living.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Draconi Redfir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gobbotopia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    at thirty i think you've got another good ten years or so before that applies. with the wonders of medical science, thirty is the new twenty and whatnot.


    after that though, expect to spend two-thirds of your natural lifespan as an elder. the downside to the wonders of medical science. Forty is not the new Thirty. Forty is still forty.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show


  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Here you just described the general idea of living.
    Life is lag!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I approve.

    On that subject there is a movie called "Life as a Fatal Sexually Transmitted Disease". It is a bit obscure I guess, but a really good and thoughtful one. And with a witty title obviously.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Ok, that’s an awful question, from the meta context of being ‘on the character sheet’. Being on the character sheet implied to me that it is a simple, stat related thing, but outside the normal knowledge of the characters: “what is your strength score?”. Or something straightforward like a name. But this is much more involved, as are all the other things mentioned as being on Nane’s sheet. It’s a background thing, sure, and could be written on a character sheet, but it doesn’t feel like the right sort of question for the set up.

    Maybe that’s the point. Maybe the next comic will show Names saying “THAT’S on my character sheet?” But I kind of doubt it. Perhaps I’m being unfair, but the very clunky dialogue lately doesn’t exactly give me high hopes for a well written strip. I’m mostly still following out of bored curiosity and habit at this stage.
    How to tell if a D&D character would be a good chief, based on their character sheet:

    Look at Wisdom, Charisma, and Intelligence stats. If all three are above 10, the answer is probably. If at least two are above 14, the answer is definitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    How to tell if a D&D character would be a good chief, based on their character sheet:

    Look at Wisdom, Charisma, and Intelligence stats. If all three are above 10, the answer is probably. If at least two are above 14, the answer is definitely.
    Holy cripes you don't want to take a quick look at the alignment first?

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Holy cripes you don't want to take a quick look at the alignment first?
    Hahaha, that's great -- the Angel is going to go "no you cannot be a good chief, because you are NE"

    I mean, I'm not sure he is, but Thac0 did hint to him going down that road.

    EDIT: this isn't a description of an update, just a joke that doesn't seem too unlikely.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-10-21 at 02:46 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Isnt she going to put him through the ceremony "to make a point" though? My guess is that he bitterly answers that its a stupid question because he's not a goblin anymore and cant be chief no matter how good a job he could have done at it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Hahaha, that's great -- the Angel is going to go "no you cannot be a good chief, because you are NE"

    I mean, I'm not sure he is, but Thac0 did hint to him going down that road.

    EDIT: this isn't a description of an update, just a joke that doesn't seem too unlikely.
    If Ellipsis has the bad taste to say Complains' alignment is actively evil now because his response to "the heavily armed mass murdering brigand who killed most of our friends for profit and has never indicated seeing anything wrong with doing so is not at this moment attacking us" was "I'll kill him before he resumes being dangerous," I will...continue to be pissed off about that. Which I already am. So she has nothing to lose by writing it, really.

    Edit: But the question is "beneficial chief," not "good chief."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    How to tell if a D&D character would be a good chief, based on their character sheet:

    Look at Wisdom, Charisma, and Intelligence stats. If all three are above 10, the answer is probably. If at least two are above 14, the answer is definitely.
    What if two are above 14, but the other one's 3?
    Spoiler: Example
    Show
    Last edited by Kish; 2020-10-22 at 12:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •