New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    To me, the most striking of these cases is that Kin, the rape victim, undergoes the complete destruction of her lower body and then gains a new, indestructible one. There are three possible aspects I can see: a new, uncontaminated body as a way to solve the feeling of disgust, dirtiness, and contamination often reported by victims; the fact that Kin was partly based on the author's mother, a rape and kidnap victim, and now has an invulnerable lower body; and then bottom surgery.)
    One heck of a nice catch there, dude, kudos!

Now i just wonder if that is intentional...

Also the second one... I think that is a perfect example about how the authors background informs his writing. The idea that both could be sparated make literary criticism boring to me.
    Hi everyone. Follow s-writing.blogspot.com. Learn to start writing, and also about the legendary King Arthur!

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

So he's a plushy gargoyle. That's... I don't honestly know. Just kinda random at this point. I suspect we'll find out more about it later.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Colossus in the Playground

So he is a gargoyle that lacks pretty much anything that makes being a gargoyle special? Neat. No natural armor, his natural weapons are like being hit by nerf foam, hopefully his wings arent too floppy to fly at least.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So he is a gargoyle that lacks pretty much anything that makes being a gargoyle special? Neat. No natural armor, his natural weapons are like being hit by nerf foam, hopefully his wings arent too floppy to fly at least.
    I suspect he and Big Ears will find some compensating side effects of not having a body made of rock.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So he's a living doll now instead of a living statue*?
    Oh, well, it probably beats his previous state.
    Also, it could be worse. He could've come out of it with a actual squishy body made from flesh and blood and skin and stuff**.

As is it isn't the worst out come from a random Reincarnation roll. At least he's still gargoyle-oid and not a talking pillow or something.

As far as body horror goes this is kinda subdued.
    Especially for this comic.

*Guy named Plush got turned into a plushy.
    I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry.
    Depends on if the joke's intentional, I guess.

**Considering he was attached to a bit of Kore that opens some real nightmare options.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by PontificatusRex View Post
    I suspect he and Big Ears will find some compensating side effects of not having a body made of rock.
    I mean, maybe? Today's strip kinda communicates that a little mutual attraction doesn't change that they are on different trajectories. 'Hero doesn't get the adventure-presented love interest' is rare enough* that I'd find it pretty cool if Elli sticks to it.
    *Off top of head, I can think of Harry Potter and Pacific Rim as recent examples, and not much else.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Or, as it boils down to: "How do I live in a body that's not my own, and not what I'm used to?"
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

9. - Top - End - #1029

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    *Guy named Plush got turned into a plushy.
    I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry.
    Depends on if the joke's intentional, I guess.
    There's no way it's unintentional, and we should have seen it coming ever since the guy got named Plush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker1983 View Post
    One heck of a nice catch there, dude, kudos!

Now i just wonder if that is intentional...

Also the second one... I think that is a perfect example about how the authors background informs his writing. The idea that both could be sparated make literary criticism boring to me.
    Her mother.

Also this update was adorable. Nothing much else to be said about it I think.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Her mother.

Also this update was adorable. Nothing much else to be said about it I think.
    It kind of read as the opposite to me. "I no longer need to rely on you now so I find I have no interest in being with you or anything you're doing." Which is not an unreasonable reaction given the context, but it's still kind of uncomfortable to take in as basically the first major decision they made.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #1032

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    It kind of read as the opposite to me. "I no longer need to rely on you now so I find I have no interest in being with you or anything you're doing." Which is not an unreasonable reaction given the context, but it's still kind of uncomfortable to take in as basically the first major decision they made.
    I mean, not anting to face Kore again is so utterly reasonable its shocking. This poor bugger has spent lord knows how long in subjective time a tormented soul attached to his murderer. And the last thing he would want is to risk going back. That also feeds into his anti day trip to hell stance. He has FELT eternal torment. I dont think him being unwilling to risk it again is unreasonable.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, not anting to face Kore again is so utterly reasonable its shocking. This poor bugger has spent lord knows how long in subjective time a tormented soul attached to his murderer. And the last thing he would want is to risk going back. That also feeds into his anti day trip to hell stance. He has FELT eternal torment. I dont think him being unwilling to risk it again is unreasonable.
    Yea and the way that the two of them were clearly kind of into each other but too awkward and distracted by their own things going on to really make a kind of move was the adorable part anyways. I don't think the read of this that Plush was just being manipulative works at all.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yea and the way that the two of them were clearly kind of into each other but too awkward and distracted by their own things going on to really make a kind of move was the adorable part anyways. I don't think the read of this that Plush was just being manipulative works at all.
    Neither do I, and that's sort of why this is so jarring for me. I think we needed a little time to... catch our breath, I guess before moving onto the "what now" phase.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Banned

Considering that the entire furrsona was openly created to be Ear's partner as a way for Elli to explore her sexuality...there's approximately a negative % chance they actually leave.

16. - Top - End - #1036

He was in dire need, and tried to get help from someone nearby as he was blind and compleltely unable to move. Now that he has more agency, he has more choice in what to do. He's acting in self-interest, but in a way that is merely reasonable, and certainly not detrimental to the GAP.

I am in favour of Pawłusz, it's the first time in years I am actually curious about the comic. Beats the angel any day. The whole thing is maybe a bit too mellifluous for my tastes, but even that is something new (MM went from wanting to kill Kin, to being a dumb hero, to being just an idiot, to being a depressed puppy, here the general attitudes seem pretty different).
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #1037

Neither do I, and that's sort of why this is so jarring for me. I think we needed a little time to... catch our breath, I guess before moving onto the "what now" phase.
    Too be fair, the "what now" phase has been deferred till they get out of here. There is still time for minds to change or events to sweep the group away in some manner. Also, we still dont know if Plush can even contribute anything of value to the group other than Ears eye candy. (And dear god this has to be the most obscure and specific preference ever)

18. - Top - End - #1038

19. - Top - End - #1039

Yes, cobwebs are from cobs, since cob is just an Old English word for spider.

Yay more random dungeon puzzle bovine droppings. Also more dysphoria from plushy Plush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

20. - Top - End - #1040

Oh boy, im wondering, are these magic razor wire webs? If so, this should be fun. Also, I always thought cobwebs was different, basically formed through dust and such gathering together till the weight pulls it down into strands and threads kind of like how icicles form from water dripping and freezing.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh boy, im wondering, are these magic razor wire webs? If so, this should be fun. Also, I always thought cobwebs was different, basically formed through dust and such gathering together till the weight pulls it down into strands and threads kind of like how icicles form from water dripping and freezing.
    Mix of both, mostly. Cobwebs are generally used to refer to particularly dusty and untouched spiderwebs.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Mix of both, mostly. Cobwebs are generally used to refer to particularly dusty and untouched spiderwebs.
    Or, more specifically, a spider had once spun a web, then decided to relocate. Or was killed. Or died. The web stayed behind, and since a spiderweb is sticky, floating dust and debris adheres. Eventually, all that weight will pull down on the web, giving it that droopy look.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Huh. I though cobwebs were dust that collected naturally into a web-like shape, not abandoned spider webs that got weighed down by dust.
    More spiders in my house than I suspected, I guess.

I'm sad to see Vorpal losing his magic staff. Though as a "unbinds anything" magic item, I can see wanting it to be destroyed lest it become too useful a plot device. (I've wondered if, if it touches the axe, would it just immediately free the demon?)

24. - Top - End - #1044

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I'm sad to see Vorpal losing his magic staff. Though as a "unbinds anything" magic item, I can see wanting it to be destroyed lest it become too useful a plot device. (I've wondered if, if it touches the axe, would it just immediately free the demon?)
    I am fairly certain that that's how the demon was freed. Ears was fighting Otherside Vorpal. https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/03302016-2

Maybe the crystal conserves the power, and can be carried around.

25. - Top - End - #1045

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

Man, nice page. I suppose that's what Complains got out of his little encouter with the angel.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Man, nice page. I suppose that's what Complains got out of his little encouter with the angel.
    Yeah, we got a glimpse of it back when he first got out...
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2022-06-02 at 01:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, we know that Dub was apparently supposed to unite the various goblin tribes because of her wings. But maybe everybody got it wrong.

It's not the goblin who was born with wings who's destined to do it. It'll be the goblin who earned their wings.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I just saw there is a New blog post... Because elli needs money. I dont know what to think.
    Hi everyone. Follow s-writing.blogspot.com. Learn to start writing, and also about the legendary King Arthur!

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker1983 View Post
    I just saw there is a New blog post... Because elli needs money. I dont know what to think.
    Eh. If people are willing to give her money to support her current lifestyle (meaning the starving artist gig, to be clear) thats their perogative. I personally will not, since I dont really want to encourage somebody to double down on something that obviously isnt doing what they need it to do, but thats just me.