New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    And Complains says 2 comics later that he's going to kill Minmax because he swore a death oath on him. His plan the entire comic has been to hunt Minmax down. He's not concerned about Minmax being a threat to goblins. He explicitly wants to murder him for revenge.
    https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/02172006
    https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/01152015

So one is evil and the other isn't? That's a pretty big double standard you have there.

They didn't explicity know about the white terror until after attacking the camp. They did presumably know about a group of goblins causing trouble in the area considering they went looking for them in the first place. Yes, the moral of the comic is basically "racism is wrong and needs to be ended" but the fact remains that several groups of goblins in the area actually were doing the things Minmax thought they were. In fact I think every single clan except the one he attacked is represented in Duv's group. It's entirely reasonable to think a war camp in hostile territory is hostile.

Yes, Minmax was only there for the loot and exp, but he doesn't go around murdering people he isn't convinced are evil. He does try to be a good person despite the fact that he was misguided. We've literally been shown that about his character over and over and over.

We don't have to wonder what Minmax would do if he finds out the Goblins aren't evil anyway. We know. He's not just with them for survival, he's with them because he witnessed their loss and it "humanized" them. He realized they aren't evil. If he thought they were evil, or just wanted revenge he'd have gotten up afterwards and fought them. He probably couldn't win, but there's no way he'd know that.

Im sorry, did I somehow imply minmax is a good guy? Because he isnt. As ive said repeatedly now, he is a mass murdering monster, to the GAP at least, and so they are fully justified in killing him at the closest opportunity. Because he has tried at least twice now to kill them and they dont know when he will try again. If Jason Vorhees starts sobbing because he lost his mask, you are not evil for unloading every bullet you own into his body because he has spent the last hour and a half stalking and killing everyone in the area trying to kill you and you dont know when he will get over it and pick up his machete again.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im sorry, did I somehow imply minmax is a good guy? Because he isnt. As ive said repeatedly now, he is a mass murdering monster, to the GAP at least, and so they are fully justified in killing him at the closest opportunity. Because he has tried at least twice now to kill them and they dont know when he will try again. If Jason Vorhees starts sobbing because he lost his mask, you are not evil for unloading every bullet you own into his body because he has spent the last hour and a half stalking and killing everyone in the area trying to kill you and you dont know when he will get over it and pick up his machete again.
    And as far as Minmax is concerned, the goblins are warmongering soldiers who swore vengeance against him, personally, and previously were participating in a campaign of covert war against people in the area. They literally have the exact same beliefs about each other, so why are only the goblins justified in killing Minmax?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #93

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    And as far as Minmax is concerned, the goblins are warmongering soldiers who swore vengeance against him, personally, and previously were participating in a campaign of covert war against people in the area. They literally have the exact same beliefs about each other, so why are only the goblins justified in killing Minmax?
    And now you are changing the argument. The debate point was "Is it evil to kill minmax when he was on the ground crying?" It absolutely is not. Minmax is their enemy, he has tried to kill them all repeatedly, and he has shown zero remorse for his actions. Names was totally justified in wanting to finish him off and that would not have been evil.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Complaining about someone replying to your comments about Minmax morality is rich.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

And now you are changing the argument. The debate point was "Is it evil to kill minmax when he was on the ground crying?" It absolutely is not. Minmax is their enemy, he has tried to kill them all repeatedly, and he has shown zero remorse for his actions. Names was totally justified in wanting to finish him off and that would not have been evil.
    Im not changing the argument, im just pointing out that your own logic, which you are using to declare Minmax evil, also applies to the goblins.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #96
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think that this particular discussion has got too heated, and I am dropping out of it. Not the thread, just the "kill MM" part and its branches.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #97

Im not changing the argument, im just pointing out that your own logic, which you are using to declare Minmax evil, also applies to the goblins.
    Not really, because in every interaction Minmax was the aggressor. He flat out didnt care WHY they were killing goblins, it was just the latest quest from herbert and when questioned on it decided to assume they were all baby killing monsters who deserved to be wiped out for the crime of existing. Then after names managed to hurt and embarrass him, minmax swore to kill names out of indignation and outrage, while names swore to kill him because minmax had killed so many of his friends. They arent the same and thaco was an idiot for suggesting otherwise.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Not really, because in every interaction Minmax was the aggressor. He flat out didnt care WHY they were killing goblins, it was just the latest quest from herbert and when questioned on it decided to assume they were all baby killing monsters who deserved to be wiped out for the crime of existing. Then after names managed to hurt and embarrass him, minmax swore to kill names out of indignation and outrage, while names swore to kill him because minmax had killed so many of his friends. They arent the same and thaco was an idiot for suggesting otherwise.
    They formed a freaking war camp, and declared it as such. As Thaco points out, when people subsequently target them as enemy soldiers, they dont have a lot of room to protest.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not really, because in every interaction Minmax was the aggressor. He flat out didn't care WHY they were killing goblins, it was just the latest quest from herbert and when questioned on it decided to assume they were all baby killing monsters who deserved to be wiped out for the crime of existing. Then after names managed to hurt and embarrass him, minmax swore to kill names out of indignation and outrage, while names swore to kill him because minmax had killed so many of his friends. They aren't the same and thaco was an idiot for suggesting otherwise.
    Okay, lets try a different tact. Goblins vs adventurers is basically like a Warhammer faction war, Horde vs Alliance. That is the paradigm here. They each kill each other because it's what they are supposed to do. There isn't a ton of thought that goes into it. Just like there isn't a ton of thought that goblins keep all magical items in a poorly locked box, and don't set traps around it, or why the adventurers are raiding this warcamp, without first checking to find out if they were personally responsible for the actual cases of goblins stealing babies, or raiding caravans (it's kind of a hard thing to verify anyway). It's just how things are done.

By the way, the fact that Complains "cheated" is probably at least half the reason Minmax disliked him so much, and Minmax did view what Complains did as blatant cheating. Even Chief did, as his talk with Complains showed right after. It honestly bothers me a little that the fact that Complains broke the rules doesn't seem to have any payoff. I doubt anyone will mention this again, especially since Complains is chief now.

Anyway, all of a sudden, there is a special event, and a third faction shows up (Kore). The two factions can either team up to fight the new faction, or continue fighting each other while they get wiped out. Two alliance members, that have gotten a lot of kills off a particular horde group, decide to help them to fight. Horde!Complains decides to be a backstabbing weasel at the first opportunity, and kill off those alliance!Minmax while weakened. Can he do it? Sure. Should he do it? No. Killing your teammates is taboo, because this is a faction kill warzone, not a free for all.

If you go back to infighting, then everyone falls.

Think about this from a pure firepower perspective. You do NOT want to give up any potential allies when fighting the bigger threat. By killing Minmax, Complains is removing an asset from play. Between a goblin that hurt him a little, or the guy that killed his best friend, who do you think Minmax's main target is? News flash, it's not the goblins.

All this fearmongering that Minmax will attack the goblins is pure nonsense. He's crying over the fact that Kore killed his friend, when he stops crying, he's not going to attack the ones who Forgath died in order to save. That would disgrace the dwarf's memory. Likewise, if the goblins kill Minmax, that is disgracing the memory of a man that reached out to stop the faction fighting, and saved them from Kore, and if there is one thing I can say about their culture, is that they truly honor their dead. You don't build statues like that to forget. This is so much more than just a question of whether or not killing Minmax is evil, because that is a question that is in isolation of the circumstances surrounding it.

While Minmax ended up abandoning them anyway, it was still the smarter move, because that guy is now Kore's enemy, and you need as many of those as you can get. Circumstances change, and you need to change with it. Minmax, for all his faults, is not going around killing children. Kore? Is.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2020-10-25 at 12:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

They're not changing the subject, they're pointing out your double standards. You repeatedly are willing to apply standards to Minmax that you aren't to Complains. Things like "I'll kill him because I swore to" make Minmax a villain but you don't care that Complains said literally the exact same thing. You're willing to give Complains the benefit of perspective since he only knows Minmax through his own perspective, but not willing to do the same for Minmax. You're mad that Minmax is an aggressor, but willing to overlook that Complains' character motivation is explicitly to get strong enough to hunt Minmax down.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    They're not changing the subject, they're pointing out your double standards. You repeatedly are willing to apply standards to Minmax that you aren't to Complains. Things like "I'll kill him because I swore to" make Minmax a villain but you don't care that Complains said literally the exact same thing. You're willing to give Complains the benefit of perspective since he only knows Minmax through his own perspective, but not willing to do the same for Minmax. You're mad that Minmax is an aggressor, but willing to overlook that Complains' character motivation is explicitly to get strong enough to hunt Minmax down.
    Im not pretending complains is a hero because he isnt. Im simply pointing out that killing your enemy when has has already killed countless members of your group, tried to kill you personally twice, and has never once showed he wont go right back to trying to kill you as soon as the mood strikes him ISNT EVIL. It is a pragmatic and totally reasonable thing to do.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Im not pretending complains is a hero because he isnt. Im simply pointing out that killing your enemy when has has already killed countless members of your group, tried to kill you personally twice, and has never once showed he wont go right back to trying to kill you as soon as the mood strikes him ISNT EVIL. It is a pragmatic and totally reasonable thing to do.
    Minmax is only an enemy because complains declared him to be. The only moral conflicts they had were over the war camp, and the goblins are the bad guys there, as much as that scenario has a bad guy, so complains doesnt have a lot of room to be offended.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2020-10-25 at 04:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Yes, of course, "I'll kill you!" is exactly the same as "I'll wipe out your whole goddamned race!"

I don't even need to get to how the first is spoken to a mass murdering brigand and the latter to a survivor of that brigand's victims (though Traab has pointed that out, much good I expect it to do) for that argument to already be the most utterly without merit ever posted on these boards, and that's truly saying something.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Hey so how about we drop this whole topic alltogether? it's not going anywhere and it's just making people upset. Lets talk about less volatile things instead. like... shipping!

Complains and Saves-a-fox. you think they'd be good together at all? She's got hair, so if nothing else he might be interested. i don't know how she'd feel about him though.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Hey so how about we drop this whole topic alltogether? it's not going anywhere and it's just making people upset. Lets talk about less volatile things instead. like... shipping!

Complains and Saves-a-fox. you think they'd be good together at all? She's got hair, so if nothing else he might be interested. i don't know how she'd feel about him though.
    This calls for a song!

That being said, I can see, why you would think about the two as they are both very much against the predetermined fate although from slightly different perspectives. That being said, I do not really see them together. Two strong and unbending personalities do not mesh well - especially if they cannot help each other grow.

Personality-wise Complains would mesh better with someone like Big Ears in my opinion as there would be room for improvement for both. There is a reason why the Kirk-Spock-Bones trio worked so well and I am sure there is a lot of slash fics fueled by their dynamics in the original series.

And to toss some crazy crack ship:
    Complains and White Terror - I think they would go as well as a powder keg and a fuse.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    This calls for a song!
    I actually was expecting this one
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

And to toss some crazy crack ship:
    Complains and White Terror - I think they would go as well as a powder keg and a fuse.
    She's the goblin equivilent of an angel sent down by the Goblin God to lead the Goblins into becoming the dominant race. He's a half-demon who refuses to take any BS from anyone who can't lead his way out of a wet paper bag no matter how many times people tell him he can... That would be... an interesting Combo...

... What about Duv and Redcloak? White and Red go well together, and they're both evil goblins trying to do somethingorother involving all goblins and power.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

She's the goblin equivilent of an angel sent down by the Goblin God to lead the Goblins into becoming the dominant race. He's a half-demon who refuses to take any BS from anyone who can't lead his way out of a wet paper bag no matter how many times people tell him he can... That would be... an interesting Combo...

... What about Duv and Redcloak? White and Red go well together, and they're both evil goblins trying to do somethingorother involving all goblins and power.
    Im pretty sure weve met the goblin equivalent of an angel, actually.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I actually was expecting this one
    I see you are a man of taste. One of the most powerful musicals ever.

Duv and Redcloak would probably work pretty well together. The most interesting part would be the clash of the respective realities. Goblinverse is pretty low-level and all the more for the monster races as taking class levels is a strong taboo. On the other hand Redcloak comes from a high magic world, where there are multiple people reaching epic levels and pretty much everyone has either PC or NPC class levels. Duv would go through a serious shock as she thought to be the best thing ever - the pinnacle of goblin race.

Another dynamic aspect between Duv and Redcloak would be that she is a fairly stereotypical villain just short of mustache-twirling, while Redcloak is first and foremost pragmatic and goal-oriented.

edit:
    Actually I think that Redcloak would have a serious fit, when he learned about the fairly self-destructive goblin traditions from Goblinverse.
    Last edited by Radar; 2020-10-25 at 09:08 PM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually I think that Redcloak would have a serious fit, when he learned about the fairly self-destructive goblin traditions from Goblinverse.
    He would find it to be entirely in keeping with how the gods insert goblins into worlds, and promptly go off to find the snarl. The relationship would carry on long distance for a couple of months, until Redcloak decides he needs to spellslots for something better than sending.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Banned

As a high level cleric Redcloak would probably just find Duv completely useless and planeshift home. He might waste a spell slot to fix her wings before he left, but he also might not.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Redcloak would throw an immense fit upon realizing that (in his view) goblin mistreatment isn't just an intrinsic problem of his homeworld, it's a planar problem, and the goblins here are generally even worse off and self-destructive to boot.

He'd then try and come up with a way to unleash the snarl and improve goblinkind acros the planes, never realizing how that makes him a perfect example of the rigidly traditional, self-destructive goblins there.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

if nothing else, I'd think Redcloak would be at least impressed with Duv's fighting style. that's some acrobatic stuff that's bound to catch some attention.

kind of want to assume that for this experiment they're both of similar power level. suppose that's near impossible though considering levels exist in both their worlds, and even if Duv looks powerful in her world, she'd be weaker then one of Tuskio's undead in the Ootsverse. Redcloak could probably take over the world in the Goblinsverse. might even put up a fight against Kore.

otherwise, if levels somehow didn't exist, they were both of comparative power level, and their respective stories somehow took place in the same universe... they'd make a pretty deadly duo.

I wonder though. Duv wants her wing back to lead the Goblins to glory, Redcloak wants to send an outerdimentional beast to his god as a weapon. I wonder if one of them would switch plans, or if they'd somehow combine plans. if the former, who? if the latter, how?

maybe Redcloak helps Duv get her wings back and get to full strength, and uses the ensuing chaos and Goblinoid army to secure the gate(s)?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114

if nothing else, I'd think Redcloak would be at least impressed with Duv's fighting style. that's some acrobatic stuff that's bound to catch some attention.

kind of want to assume that for this experiment they're both of similar power level. suppose that's near impossible though considering levels exist in both their worlds, and even if Duv looks powerful in her world, she'd be weaker then one of Tuskio's undead in the Ootsverse. Redcloak could probably take over the world in the Goblinsverse. might even put up a fight against Kore.

otherwise, if levels somehow didn't exist, they were both of comparative power level, and their respective stories somehow took place in the same universe... they'd make a pretty deadly duo.

I wonder though. Duv wants her wing back to lead the Goblins to glory, Redcloak wants to send an outerdimentional beast to his god as a weapon. I wonder if one of them would switch plans, or if they'd somehow combine plans. if the former, who? if the latter, how?

maybe Redcloak helps Duv get her wings back and get to full strength, and uses the ensuing chaos and Goblinoid army to secure the gate(s)?

Considering a team of level 4s-5s dang near finished kore off, I would have to say a near epic level cleric like redcloak would roflstomp kore.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Considering a team of level 4s-5s dang near finished kore off, I would have to say a near epic level cleric like redcloak would roflstomp kore.
    In fairness, they had to cheese him two different ways to do it.

26. - Top - End - #116

I think so, too. If I recall correctly, Goblinslayer was gauged at lvl 6 or 7, and Kore around lvl 14. Redcloak lost against Miko, who was lvl 12-16, but now he has lvl 9 spells. If he can endure the crossbows (which seems likely, as Forgath, a much lower level cleric, also could), then he can just go destruction and implosion.

27. - Top - End - #117

In fairness, they had to cheese him two different ways to do it.
    True, but a single level 4 forgath also dang near killed him and the only cheese he had was a +7 axe. Honestly, Kores reputation seems to be predicated upon him wiping out no class level having npc swarms. He has significant trouble against our players every time he shows up. The GAP were able to hurt him bad enough to escape with some clever tactics, though they lost chief. He is rapidly falling apart as this arc goes on. First the throat damage still seems to linger a bit from the rope he took. Then his gear took lots of damage fighting forgath, then he took even MORE damage to himself and all his gear inside the dungeon. Half of his HEAD was literally torn from his body, and he took several serious stab wounds. I honestly dont know what the heck he really is at this point as, again, half his HEAD is missing, but he has clearly been taking heavy damage so its adding up on him. It has to be or else he wouldnt have fled, he would have struck while they were distracted.

28. - Top - End - #118

True, but a single level 4 forgath also dang near killed him and the only cheese he had was a +7 axe. Honestly, Kores reputation seems to be predicated upon him wiping out no class level having npc swarms. He has significant trouble against our players every time he shows up. The GAP were able to hurt him bad enough to escape with some clever tactics, though they lost chief. He is rapidly falling apart as this arc goes on. First the throat damage still seems to linger a bit from the rope he took. Then his gear took lots of damage fighting forgath, then he took even MORE damage to himself and all his gear inside the dungeon. Half of his HEAD was literally torn from his body, and he took several serious stab wounds. I honestly dont know what the heck he really is at this point as, again, half his HEAD is missing, but he has clearly been taking heavy damage so its adding up on him. It has to be or else he wouldnt have fled, he would have struck while they were distracted.
    The easy answer would be a corporeal undead, as they aren't alive because of the integrity of their body. Aberrations also are immune to critical hits because of their alien biology.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

considering the guy has thousands of souls living inside him, he might be something more like Talion from Shadow of Mordor. a living being kept alive by the spirit(s) of the dead against their mutual will.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120

A construct, maybe (they also are immune to critical hits because of their odd physiology); but constructs cannot heal by spells, which I think Kore did after the rope incident. Soul bind uses gems (inanimate objects) to capture souls. I don't know if soul-powered constructs exist. If I recall correctly, in older editions undead, even mindless undead, were powered by the souls of the original creatures that were stuck inside the body.