Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVIII: Being yourself can be dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    And a half-celestial template maybe?
    I'm not really certain either goblin really qualifies for a half-X template. The only effects we've seen thus far are a change to their bodies and souls. Neither Complains or Big Ears appear to have additional effects of the templates. Neither appears to have the wings that a half-celestial or half-fiend grants.

Nor do they seem to have spell-like abilities, despite their hit dice. Or if they have them, they haven't used them.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    I'm not really certain either goblin really qualifies for a half-X template. The only effects we've seen thus far are a change to their bodies and souls. Neither Complains or Big Ears appear to have additional effects of the templates. Neither appears to have the wings that a half-celestial or half-fiend grants.

Nor do they seem to have spell-like abilities, despite their hit dice. Or if they have them, they haven't used them.
    True that. But at least they gained a subtype I guess? And it had to go with some change in abilities and/or stats.

That being said, trying to name those D&D details might not have been warranted on my side. In non-gaming terms they both have some angelic/demonic traits which may or may not alter their capabilities.
    Last edited by Radar; 2021-02-01 at 04:42 PM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like the new look. I also like that something good happened unexpectedly. Somehow, this feels much more satisfying than the level gains from visiting the angel.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Well if not the half-celestial/fiend templates, maybe the mere celestial/fiendish templates. These are less powerful, less impactful on character level and identity, but do provide the relevant subtype.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

5. - Top - End - #245
    Colossus in the Playground

It may vary. Complains is slowly turning more and more demonic as the story moves on so ears might do the same. This is actually an interesting thing because radiant damage is going to be very helpful in hell. Get him something to smite with, this is going to sting some demons. So much for him showing up in front of the angel, horn chunk in hand. He still could get there, but im not sure how that meeting will go now. Also, I wonder what the horrible background trap thats slowly ramping up will be with the clocks moving.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #246

Planetar

The only effects we've seen thus far are a change to their bodies and souls. Neither Complains or Big Ears appear to have additional effects of the templates.
    Doesn't complains have some kind of auto heal / auto regenerate ability? That is what it looked to me right after the "lol pearl" incident.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfHell View Post
    Doesn't complains have some kind of auto heal / auto regenerate ability? That is what it looked to me right after the "lol pearl" incident.
    It happened when he touched the axe. It turned him more demonic, which gave him a slow regen, yes.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2021-02-02 at 11:47 AM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

8. - Top - End - #248

I guess, but that still doesn't fit either the Fiendish Creature template or the Half-Fiend. Whatever it is, it's setting-unique. And probably doesn't have a level adjustment attached to it.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Banned

Yet another character healed in such a way as to give them shiny skin glowing skin. This is what, the 8th time? 9th? It stopped being exciting 8 times ago.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

On the one hand, the implication is that the Psychic Minmax tapped into divine/angelic healing to make his "invulnerable body part healer" machinery. Or, that such mechanisms in this world automagically give you body parts that fill in the empty space with your IME effect, except when angel-level healing is applied. We know that that Ears has a yellow IME, not a blue one, as of now. Maybe this will alter his essence deeper given an angel-type mutation
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

Interesting turn of event!

I hadn't noticed it either, and I re-read the comic this Christmas. From what I can tell it happened during the "lol pearl" incident, so for about 4 years I guess.
    Never noticed it myself but it looks due to the LOL pearl indeed.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

12. - Top - End - #252
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post
    On the one hand, the implication is that the Psychic Minmax tapped into divine/angelic healing to make his "invulnerable body part healer" machinery. Or, that such mechanisms in this world automagically give you body parts that fill in the empty space with your IME effect, except when angel-level healing is applied. We know that that Ears has a yellow IME, not a blue one, as of now. Maybe this will alter his essence deeper given an angel-type mutation
    Dies alone has had 2 completely different kinds of shiny limbs, so I don't think either of those theories add up.

Honestly, I think Elli just likes the concept of replacing old "bad" body parts with shiny new ones. Make of that what you will. Either way, I'm glad Ears got healed, but it's become a really overused concept in the comic. We've had Dies multiple times, Duv, Kin, Minmax, Forgath, Biscuit, and now Ears. Presumably that gargoyle on his back is going to get a new body some time soon too. If we start counting non shiny body replacements like Goblinslayer the numbers go up even higher. It's time to find a new gimmick.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

At this point's it's safe to say that colorful, complicated character design is part of Ellipsis' aesthetic, and that the original character designs were spare and utilitarian only so that she could later add on more details. And, honestly, I'm fine with that. I see it as a part of her art style, like the stippled eyes.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    At this point's it's safe to say that colorful, complicated character design is part of Ellipsis' aesthetic, and that the original character designs were spare and utilitarian only so that she could later add on more details. And, honestly, I'm fine with that. I see it as a part of her art style, like the stippled eyes.
    Fair enough. I don't personally care what the characters look like. I've been reading since they looked like this. https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/06282005 The art is far from a deal breaker for me.

The problem I have is that the story is suffering from Ell's need to do this to every character. When a character is injured, instead of wondering "wow, how will this effect the character, and how will they deal with the loss?" You just wonder "wow, I wonder what color their replacement limb will be since I know they'll get one just like the last 8 characters who got injured."

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    It may vary. Complains is slowly turning more and more demonic as the story moves on so ears might do the same. This is actually an interesting thing because radiant damage is going to be very helpful in hell.
    This is 3.5ed, there's no such thing as radiant damage.

These would be the templates briefly discussed upthread.

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Dies alone has had 2 completely different kinds of shiny limbs, so I don't think either of those theories add up.
    It's Dies horribly, not Dies alone. That would be horrible

I'm joking.

Honestly, I think Elli just likes the concept of replacing old "bad" body [parts with shiny new ones. Make of that what you will. Either way, I'm glad Ears got healed, but it's become a really overused concept in the comic. We've had Dies multiple times, Duv, Kin, Minmax, Forgath, Biscuit, and now Ears. Presumably that gargoyle on his back is going to get a new body some time soon too. If we start counting non shiny body replacements like Goblinslayer the numbers go up even higher. It's time to find a new gimmick.
    It clearly started many years ago. Back then, Tarol once made a post or whatever about how experience should be reflected on his characters by physical changes.
    But that's a really interesting theory and I like it.
    Last edited by Quild; 2021-02-03 at 03:45 PM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

17. - Top - End - #257

Now I kinda wonder whether a comic so focused on body transformation and giving so much room to i.m.e. ("the colour of your soul" that affects magic as you wield it) was an expression of what would later manifest itself with transitioning.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #258

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    It clearly started many years ago. Back then, Tarol once made a post or whatever about how experience should be reflected on his characters by physical changes.
    I have always thought that was a worthwhile goal: that every battle or fight should leave some kind of physical consequence. It's realistic - no matter how good of a fighter you are, life-or-death brawls will probably end up with scars or injuries. It's also a great visual indicator of the optimistic youth turning into the grizzled veteran.

But I guess it gets problematic if you do several different fights in each dungeon, and traps, and multiple dungeons. After a while, everyone is just so cut up and maimed that they wouldn't be able to function anymore. I guess the most realistic course of action at that point would be to have them retire or die, but that's not how stories work - so they need to heal. The only way to heal characters but still stick to "every fight should visually change the characters" is by having them be healed with replacement body parts.

Which makes it a bit awkward, I agree.

19. - Top - End - #259

Website redesign, by the way. Looks like they joined Hiveworks.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Website redesign, by the way. Looks like they joined Hiveworks.
    Does seem to be the case.

Especially since it's a linked comic on the HW homepage now.

And a lookup shows goblins and hiveworks are both at 23.226.68.74.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

21. - Top - End - #261

SolithKnightGuy

New site seems very, I don't know, naked(?) to me. Too much white and overly generic in some regards. Can't complain or anything - free product and all that and I'm guessing that this transition takes some of the cost off their backs?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    New site seems very, I don't know, naked(?) to me. Too much white and overly generic in some regards. Can't complain or anything - free product and all that and I'm guessing that this transition takes some of the cost off their backs?
    from the twitter post on the subject, i'm guessing it was at least partly in order to get the website functioning properly on mobile.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Banned

Does it seem weird to anyone else that the easiest way to become a celestial in this setting is to chop up celestials and steal their parts?

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that only works for big ears because he's a paladin, and if he tried that plan himself he wouldn't be anymore.

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Does it seem weird to anyone else that the easiest way to become a celestial in this setting is to chop up celestials and steal their parts?
    Weird? Sure. In this setting, though? Not really. It's actually unusual that it's just a hacked off piece, rather than the celestial's mangled soul creating an evil abomination by merging with yours.

About the new website design, I actually find it a bit too busy, in the sense that the background image is more or less in the same stile as the comic, and full of things.

By the way, is that the village? It would be the first look we get.

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Weird? Sure. In this setting, though? Not really. It's actually unusual that it's just a hacked off piece, rather than the celestial's mangled soul creating an evil abomination by merging with yours.

About the new website design, I actually find it a bit too busy, in the sense that the background image is more or less in the same stile as the comic, and full of things.

By the way, is that the village? It would be the first look we get.
    Its early days yet. Give it time, big ears may transform into an eldritch abomination that looks like an angel got drunk, boinked a squid, then experimented on the offspring. On a more serious note, it doesnt bother me much because we have the earlier event with complains where he basically got infected by a demonic essence and started turning demon on us, so being inflicted with celestial essence doing the same fits in with the established events well enough.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like the idea that his is just a campaign world were major regenerative healing leaves some magical signature. Regular cure spells don't make changes, but more significant damage requires more drastic effects.

And as for "horrible things happen to characters all the time in the comic", well, real life combat does result in people being maimed and losing body parts in all sorts of horrible ways.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, looks like Rich Burlew is taking a bit of character design inspiration from Danielle - that was not on my bingo card...
    Last edited by PontificatusRex; 2021-02-19 at 09:05 PM.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Banned

I hardly think that Goblins invented or owns this type of design.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2021-02-19 at 09:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by PontificatusRex View Post
    Hmm, looks like Rich Burlew is taking a bit of character design inspiration from Danielle - that was not on my bingo card...
    Spoiler: This has been done before.
    Show
    Last edited by satorian; 2021-02-20 at 12:24 AM.