New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms OOC pt7

Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Merrick's always wanted an apprentice!

After a divvying, how much GP do we have? I may want to do some downtime crafting since the vestige is willing.
    That's part of why I'm going back through TSoLS, to see what loot we're picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    I’m not that kind of Ranger I’m a Mystic Ranger, so Combat Mastery isn’t until 12th and I don’t get a 4th FE until level 20.

Now as I look at it, there are some naturally efficient breaks ... odd levels for Rangers works. That leaves me with either needing a 5th level of scout or slipping a level (or 2?) of Swordsage.

Taking a level of scout now gains me the same skirmish bonus and Imp evasion and a couple extra skill points. But I think I lose out on a Fort bonus and BAB ... maybe not a big deal if Igo with a fifth level of Scout at some later point; just depends on when I want to do it.

Lots of goodies with ToB, but most of the maneuvers improve melee, so I would need to be careful with my selections. I get bonus to Init and ‘free’ weapon focus, but I’ll lose out on max Skirmish/favored enemy bonuses.

I guess Cleric dip is always an option too ...

Thoughts?
    Well ToB is usually awesome, but for a ranged character less so. All the strikes are basically useless, so the question becomes are the counters, boosts and stances enough enticement? Lvl15 is a good entry point to Swordsage because you have a round number of initiator levels, 8, which gives access to 4th level stuff. Level 17 is better because your initiator level would be 9, giving access to 5th level stuff.

At 1st level a Swordsage can ready 4 boosts and counters per encounter, knows 6, plus 1 stance (choice of a 2nd stance at lvl 2). So what can a Swordsage do without attacking in melee? As it turns out, a fair bit. Here are some discipline highlights:

Dessert Wind:
    Flame's blessing stance. Fire resistance based on tumble ranks, 20 at 14-18 ranks and immunity at 19 ranks. Note that fire immunity arguably comes with cold vulnerability.

Wind stride boost - swift action +10ft speed enhancement bonus.
    Distracting ember boost - swift action summon a small fire elemental for 1 turn within 30ft, can flank with you or allies.
    Fire Riposte Counter - immediate action 4d6 fire melee touch attack in reaction to getting attacked in melee. (Prerequisite 1 other Desert Wind Manoeuvre or stance)
    Zephyr Dance Counter - immediate action +4 AC against 1 attack (Prerequisite 1 other Desert Wind Manoeuvre or stance)

At IL9 (lvl2 Swordsage, or entry at lvl 17)
    Leaping Flame Counter - immediate action teleport adjacent to an creature who attacked you in melee or ranged up to 100ft. Note the creature can be friendly as long as it attacks you.(Prerequisite 2 other Desert Wind Manoeuvre or stance).

At Swordsage lvl 2:
    Holocaust Cloak Stance - swift action adjacent make attackers take 5pts if damage per attack.(Prerequisite 1 other Desert Wind Manoeuvre or stance).

Diamond Mind
    Moment of Perfect Mind
    Action Before Thought
    Mind over body
    Replace saves with concentration checks. Note that a 1 on a concentration check is not an auto-fail.

At 2nd level the stance Hearing The Air gives blindsense.

Setting Sun
    Step of the wind stance - ignore difficult terrain and +2 on attack rolls against creatures in difficult terrain.
    Counter Charge counter immediate action redirect charging creature away from you with a red check with bonus for being small.
    Baffling defence counter immediate action against 1 attack (ranged or melee) replace AC with sense motive check.

Shadow Hand
    Child of Shadow Stance - gain concealment when you move 10ft.
    Cloak of Deception boost - swift action turn invisible for 1 turn.

If entry at lvl 17 or Swordsage lvl 2:
    Shadow Stride - move action teleport 50ft.

At Swordsage lvl2:
    Step of the dancing moth stance walk across difficult terrain, water, lava, etc.
    Assassin's stance gain +2d6 sneak attack (prerequisite 1 Shadow hand stance or manoeuvre)
    Dance of the spider gain climb speed 20ft

Tiger Claw
    Blood in the water stance +1 attack and damage per crit. Cumulative until no crits for a minute.
    Hunters sense gain scent (needs 1 Tiger Claw)
    Sudden leap boost swift action jump check is distance actually jumped (up/across) (needs 1 Tiger Claw)

At lvl 17 entry or Swordsage 2:
    Dancing Mongoose boost swift action gain an extra attack with each wielded weapon (not restricted to melee) to max of 2. (Needs 2 Tiger Claw)

Unfortunately the weapon focus from discipline focus is with weapons from your chosen discipline, which I don't think have any ranged weapons associated with them.

Of course there's nothing wrong with just taking the extra BaB and spells of Mystic Ranger 11.
    There may also be other ranger prestige classes that are worth it? But prestige classes would not progress swift hunter so they would need to come with some other benefit that makes that lack of progression worthwhile.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-08 at 05:53 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

All that reading and it turns out we didn't actually get all that much loot in this adventure. There was nothing at all in the upper ziggurat and inside the ring.

From the invisible nagas there was:
    Item Description Claimed By
    Manual of Gainful Exercise +2 innate STR N/A. Mirriana could definitely do with more STR, but not so much I wouldn't be better with a +2 or +4 item.
    Strugt's Spellbook Spells TBD Merrick/Zarina
    Diadem of Intelligence +4 +4 enhancement to INT Merrick?
    Wand of Lightning Bolt CL7 28 charges (possible some used) Merrick?
    Rod of Quicken Spells Quicken up to Lvl 6 spells 3/day Mirriana
    Cloak of Resistance +5 +5 resistance bonus to all saves Lan?
    Circlet of Charisma _6 +6 enhancement bonus to CHA Elkist
    Harrow Rod 30ft cone of acid, 9d6, Reflex DC17 for half Merrick
    Cloak of Charisma +4 Belonged to Elkist N/A. None of Mirriana's class features are powered by CHA.

Also 11000gp. That's 2200gp each

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    One of my tasks over next couple of weeks is to update the OOC with the rolling plot summary and update the table of characters
    And I found this post from 2017.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-08 at 09:45 AM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Does anything Tal does require a CHA bonus?
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

D) STEG! Bring it on, my friend! I’m ready for Tal, the morphing Halfling steed!
    Watching the final battle, I was just thinking how proud Tal would feel of his little buddy to see him landsharking it. *SNIFF* I'm just so proud of him!

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    Awesome! I wonder what Tal has been up to to keep up with the party, and how Zyxorg is doing.
    They have been travelling is dessert places (picked up some Desert Storm maneuvers with another level of swordsage), battling evil and other followers of Kyuss, establishing a name for himself to give them terrors in the dark.
    Spoiler
    Show

C) Inauguration day can't come soon enough. And that's all I have to say about that.
    Only giantitp's strict stance against political posts keeps me quiet about January 6, 2021. You should have heard how Zyxorg was laughing about it, the tentacled, scheming b*stard.

I will update Taliesn to level 15 and add his entry to the table, for ease of reference. At these levels, good heavens! It's like you need an encyclopedia to keep track of each character's abilities.

Now... the big question. Who wins the Quicken rod
    All this arguing () over who should have the rod just makes me reminisce about those good old days, long ago, when we were all more innocent and far less powerful. Anyone remember that wizard we used to adventure with who always seemed to think he should get all the loot? Good times.

Does anything Tal does require a CHA bonus?
    Got to dig back into the character sheet, but I'm pretty sure the answer is a solid, "No." Charisma has never been my (or Tal's) jam.
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Chapter 6: A Gathering of Winds

In the aftermath of the fire, the heroes continue looking through Eligos’s papers. Ancient books describing a jungle Empire sacrificed to a Dark God, details of the cults of Hextor, Erythnul and Vecna and the Ebon Triad. Although not clear how it goes together it clearly had Eligos rattled. The sightings of undead, the rise of cults of Kyuss and Ebon Triad in various cities and the damned green Worms and their spawn spreading all over the lands rapidly plaguing adventurers in tombs and the wilderness. Above it all is a picture of an ancient temple in a jungle, a floating dark orb above the spires circled with an inky mark "Where is it?" The papers are a confusion and the party don’t really know what to make of them.

Putting those to one side, the party turns their attention to the recovered bodies. Eligos’ body is badly damaged, putting him beyond the party’s resources to resurrect. Okram’s body resists Mirriana’s spiritual interrogations. With those two options closed Mirriana brings all her rage and worry to focus on the surviving member of the assassins! He is forthcoming about having killed Eligos, but insists that it was Celeste who cut off Eligos’ hand, and adamant that the assassins only injured her! He’s also sanguine that his bosses will help him escape justice, so Lan stabs him in cold blood in order to ensure that he doesn’t, somewhat to Mirriana’s consternation, Merrick’s approval, and Taliesn and Zarina’s discomfort.

The next morning Mirriana prepares a sending spell to Celeste, experiencing a wave of relief as her suspicions are confirmed and she receives a reply! Celeste and a resurrected Eligos are fine and lying low, the two women tentatively expressing their affection and relief. Later the priestess meets with Queen Renida to raise the elven princess as she promised in the arena. In return she is named Elf Friend, Ruathor, and taught a word of friendship that will elicit help from any elf.

A few days later the Champions of Greyhawk receive an urgent summons: A dragon has attacked Diamond Lake! They arrive to devastation. The black dragon, calling itself Ilthane and brood-mother to the eggs the party destroyed at Blackwall Keep, has laid waste to much of the town in search of the party and was placated only by the town council giving up the location where Allustan is thought to have expeditioned to. Barely having time to get angry at the council, Ilthane returns, and after a battle that raged through the town and the docks the beast is finally slain, however not before Ilthane reveals that her master is Dracotha, a name from legend! Zarina recalls that the red dragon Dragotha was once a favoured consort of Tiamat before angering her! Legend has it that Kyuss promised to restore Dragotha to life after death after Tiamat inevitably caught up with him, but betrayed Dragotha by raising him as a terrifying Dracolich instead, thus linking Kyuss directly to the party’s adventure at Blackwall Keep! With Ilthane dead the town council are more compliant. Using her Word of Friendship on the elvish council member, Mirriana learns that Raknian had passed through on his way to meet Prince Zeech in Alhaster. The council also reveal that Allustan had returned to the Whispering Cairn to conduct further investigations, so the party decide to go and look for him.

Ilthane hadn’t been able to penetrate the cairn, and venturing into the tomb of Zosiel where it all began the party find new excavations have revealed a portal to a greater tomb of General Icosiol, Zosiel’s master! Unfortunately, both Taliesn and Goattracker are called away on other quests but they are soon replaced by the half-drow paladin Elkish and reclusive druid Navarra. Fighting their way through the tomb’s defences the party discovers Allustan trapped in a stasis field and rescue him. Allustan urges them to go deeper into the party to recover weapons to use in the battles to come. Defeating spiders, elder black puddings, ghouls, demons, wind warriors, and even making their way down a river of blood, the party eventually discover the true tomb of Icosiel, and are blessed with the approval of the legendary Wind Duke, a piece of the rod of seven parts, and both Zosiel’s diadem (still worn by Mirriana) and the Talisman of the Sphere are restored to full power!

Returning to Diamond Lake the party confer with Allustan. He feels old, and that he has nothing further to teach the party. Instead he directs them to seek guidance from his own mentor, Manzorian the legendary arch-mage of Magepoint! Navarra decides not to follow the party any further, but Merrick teleports the party to Magepoint directly. Walking into the nearest tavern to get their bearings, the party walks straight into Eligos and Celeste!
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-08 at 06:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

And I found this post from 2017.
    Man I feel embarrassed now! Its been a busy few years is all I will say

Thank you so much for the amazing summaries for Chapter 5 and 6, its great.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    Watching the final battle, I was just thinking how proud Tal would feel of his little buddy to see him landsharking it. *SNIFF* I'm just so proud of him!

You should have heard how Zyxorg was laughing about it, the tentacled, scheming b*stard.

I will update Taliesn to level 15 and add his entry to the table, for ease of reference. At these levels, good heavens! It's like you need an encyclopedia to keep track of each character's abilities.

All this arguing () over who should have the rod just makes me reminisce about those good old days, long ago, when we were all more innocent and far less powerful. Anyone remember that wizard we used to adventure with who always seemed to think he should get all the loot? Good times.
    I was just shocked to see Lan in melee!

I still think the decision to bring Zyxorg along as an unwanted passenger was a stroke of RP genius!

Mirriana has so many abilities I frequently lose track of her base attributes, BaB and saves, nevermind everything else! It's making me more meticulous in how I record my sheet. I've recently had a clear out to put all the spells in one place. Oh, and at one point in Part 7 she strength-drained herself into immobility whilst completely forgetting she had a handy haversack.

But generally it's incredible how scary-effective her build has become at keeping the party from harm. I couldn't have planned that when we started back at level 1!

It took me a while to work out you meant Allustan! Leila? Claire? Both women. And we still adventure with Merrick even if he still wants all our stuff. (not really). Allustan hasn't really been after our stuff since Part 3! And now we've surpassed him.

Man I feel embarrassed now! Its been a busy few years is all I will say

Thank you so much for the amazing summaries for Chapter 5 and 6, its great.
    No worries, it's a big task! Probably taken me about twenty hours of reviewing this week to read IC2p40 to present and write the reviews and gather the loot, but I'm glad to have reminded myself of everything that went down! I'll see if I can't do Part 7 tomorrow as well.

I found a slight error in the summary for Part 6 where I forgot to finish a sentence.

"With Ilthane dead the town council are more compliant."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-08 at 06:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taking Warblade 4 for level 15. HP: (1d12)[5]

I think I've finished most of my work, but I've got one new warblade stance and one new maneuver that I can't decide on. I'll edit shortly to add an updated character sheet table.

EDIT:

Player Character Race Class Init HPs AC (base) FF, Touch Saves (base) Perception
    RCgothic Mirriana Human Cleric3/Church Inquisitor3/Divine Oracle2/Divine Disciple5/Crusader 1/Contemplative1 +3 118 32+ FF 29+ T 21+ +11/7/19 +6
    Redzimmer Merrick Human wizard/binder/anima mage +1 ~33 19 FF 18 T 12 +7/9/11 +2
    Starbin Landhal Tundra Halving Scout/shooting star ranger +5 78 20 FF 20 T 15 +10/13/7 +16
    DrK Zarina Human melee/wizard/gish +2 94 19 FF 17 T 12 +10/9/7 -2
    Ghostfoot Elkist Talphrin Half Drow Paladin / Spirit shaman +2 22 22 FF 22 T 10 +15/11/14 +9
    Stegyre Taliesn Human Azurin WS Ranger 1 / Incarnate 2 / Totemist 2 / Warblade 4 / Warshaper 4 / Swordsage 2 +4 173 26 FF 26 T 15 +15/12/9 +15

Some observations: (1) I thought I would beat out everyone for most classes, but I have only tied Mir. I will try harder! (2) Going over my sheet again, I couldn't find documentation for a few things: +2 rather than +1 bonus to init and a misc. +2 AC bonus, so I adjusted things accordingly.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2021-01-08 at 08:15 PM.
    Custom Class

9. - Top - End - #189

So... would now then not be the best time to ask for the Cloak +4 of Charisma...?

And we still adventure with Merrick even if he still wants all our stuff.
    I have a dandy Vest of Resistance +2 that might be a quality trade-in...
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2021-01-08 at 07:55 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

So... would now then not be the best time to ask for the Cloak +4 of Charisma...?
    Happily you should grab the Cloak+4 if I've grabbed the Circlet+6.

And if we're updating that table I'd love to get Elkist corrected to Init +5....

I'll need a few days to sort things out for Elkist but 99% probably Spirit Shaman +1 which gets 6th level Druid spells.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Taking Warblade 4 for level 15. HP: [roll0]

I think I've finished most of my work, but I've got one new warblade stance and one new maneuver that I can't decide on. I'll edit shortly to add an updated character sheet table.

EDIT:

Player Character Race Class Init HPs AC (base) FF, Touch Saves (base) Perception
    RCgothic Mirriana Human Cleric3/Church Inquisitor3/Divine Oracle2/Divine Disciple5/Crusader 1/Contemplative1 +3 118 32+ FF 29+ T 21+ +11/7/19 +6
    Redzimmer Merrick Human wizard/binder/anima mage +1 ~33 19 FF 18 T 12 +7/9/11 +2
    Starbin Landhal Tundra Halving Scout/shooting star ranger +5 78 20 FF 20 T 15 +10/13/7 +16
    DrK Zarina Human melee/wizard/gish +2 94 19 FF 17 T 12 +10/9/7 -2
    Ghostfoot Elkist Talphrin Half Drow Paladin / Spirit shaman +2 22 22 FF 22 T 10 +15/11/14 +9
    Stegyre Taliesn Human Azurin WS Ranger 1 / Incarnate 2 / Totemist 2 / Warblade 4 / Warshaper 4 / Swordsage 2 +4 173 26 FF 26 T 15 +15/12/9 +15

Some observations: (1) I thought I would beat out everyone for most classes, but I have only tied Mir. I will try harder! (2) Going over my sheet again, I couldn't find documentation for a few things: +2 rather than +1 bonus to init and a misc. +2 AC bonus, so I adjusted things accordingly.
    I'd just double check your manoeuvre prerequisites. Dancing Mongoose needs 2 Tiger Claw manoeuvres or stances, for instance, and I can only spot Sudden Leap. DrK has Zarina at six as well: Wizard/Fighter/Warblade/Spells word/Abjurant Champion/Jade Phoenix Mage, so I figure we're good. Although I'm pretty sure Mirriana will now finish her build in Church Inquisitor, so six will be my limit.

Ultimate Cosmic Will Save! Itty Bitty Reflex Save.

And Elkist with 6th level druid spells sounds awesome!
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-09 at 11:31 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'd just double check your manoeuvre prerequisites. Dancing Mongoose needs 2 Tiger Claw manoeuvres or stances, for instance, and I can only spot Sudden Leap.
    If you check the Other Notes, I previously had Death from Above. As this is my 4th WB level, though, I’m allowed to retrain a maneuver. Just haven’t decided what to retrain it to yet.
    Custom Class

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

@Redzimmer

Is Merrick wanting the diadem of Int+4 or is he sticking with the mage circlet he's got?

Thanks for the lesser Empower RCGothic. If Merrick want the Int Zarina may request the circlet as even low level quickens are super useful

14. - Top - End - #194

@Redzimmer

Is Merrick wanting the diadem of Int+4 or is he sticking with the mage circlet he's got?

Thanks for the lesser Empower RCGothic. If Merrick want the Int Zarina may request the circlet as even low level quickens are super useful
    Yes please, let Zarina quicken to her heart’s content!

Oh wait do a vest and cloak occupy different body slots?

Huh I see. Cloak is shoulder and vest is torso. Never mind, Imma keeping the Vest of Resistance.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2021-01-09 at 01:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195

Okay. Levelled, kitted, ready for our happy reunion with our favourite Shedu King.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Well I'm happy for Talsein to make a en entrance into the pub and let you guys post your evening in the pub activities. If you are happy to move onto the next day then please let me know

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Happy for Taliesn to rejoin us now. I presume if he'd arrived earlier Celeste would have informed us.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

After thinking it through, I think I’ll stay the course with scout and Ranger. Maybe in another iteration I’ll look at swordsage or cleric. I wish there was another way to get turning ... ah well.

I’ll update in a bit. Just need to grab a feat.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

19. - Top - End - #199

After thinking it through, I think I’ll stay the course with scout and Ranger. Maybe in another iteration I’ll look at swordsage or cleric. I wish there was another way to get turning ... ah well.

I’ll update in a bit. Just need to grab a feat.
    You mean to tell me in all the depths of Crystal Keep there is not one variant ranger with turn undead as a class ability?
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2021-01-13 at 03:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Maybe ... but as a mystic shooting star Ranger, I feel like I’m pushing the boundaries

PS - did Lan pick up the cloak of resistance +5? And is theee a way to get a belt of Dex? This is probably the highest level character that I’ve had working off his base stat and no magic enhancement
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

I can't think of any ranger prestige class with turning. Staying in mystic ranger certainly isn't weak!

I'd suggested the cloak for Lan. He can't cast Superior Resistance like many of the other Spellcasters and otherwise won't get anything from this loot drop.

Although we've yet to decide what to do with the manual of gainful exercise. I could really do with some more strength, but I'm moderately resigned to relying on spell power and strike damage if anyone else with a STR build wants it.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-13 at 08:27 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say Zarina or Elkist would benefit from the Book of Str as both a primarily hulk smash fighter types.

As a PC though (rather than DM-PC) Elkist can have first refusal

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

I genuinely thought I'd replied to the IC yesterday and now I'm confused.

24. - Top - End - #204

Maybe ... but as a mystic shooting star Ranger, I feel like I’m pushing the boundaries

PS - did Lan pick up the cloak of resistance +5? And is theee a way to get a belt of Dex? This is probably the highest level character that I’ve had working off his base stat and no magic enhancement
    I know a vestige who knows a guy. I can hook you up in a couple days.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Work has been busy the past few days. Who knew that being lazy could catch up with me and bite my a$$? Again? (I mean, this is like the umpteenth time. Doesn’t it stop at some point?)

Anyway, got a big project off my desk and into the client’s hands to look at before we file on Friday. Feeling a bit sleep-deprived, but I plan to finish my update and then think of some appropriate arrival. Think Tal might arrive “incognito” — in human form. An unescorted shaggy dog might not go down so well, wandering into a pub.
    Custom Class

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Work has been busy the past few days. Who knew that being lazy could catch up with me and bite my a$$? Again? (I mean, this is like the umpteenth time. Doesn’t it stop at some point?)

Anyway, got a big project off my desk and into the client’s hands to look at before we file on Friday. Feeling a bit sleep-deprived, but I plan to finish my update and then think of some appropriate arrival. Think Tal might arrive “incognito” — in human form. An unescorted shaggy dog might not go down so well, wandering into a pub.
    Sounds good. We'll await your dramatic arrival

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I found where that +2 AC bonus was coming from: Wis-to-AC from swordsage 2. It's been added back in. Corrected some undercounting in my attack bonus and damage, too. Tal's sheet should now be up-to-date.

Among other things:

- Took Open Lesser Chakra (shoulders) for 15th level feat, plan to have Pauldrons of Health shaped there most of the time. This will give immunity to disease, sickened, nauseated, and energy drain.
    - Took Dancing Blade Form for my new stance. Giant Killing Style will still be best for most situations (+2 hit / +4 damage each attack is hard to beat when you've got 4 attacks), but DBF gives him 15' reach on his turn, without being enlarged. Take that, you huge monstrosities that think you'll get an AoO before he's in range!

Haven't done any additional shopping (since raising previously to lvl 14), so he may be behind wbl, but I figure we can address that, if needed, after the next chapter.
    Custom Class

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Yay! Friend Tal is back!

Just so you're aware, I've had some thoughts (no pun intended) since Tal left, and I'm not really comfortable using Tal's telepathy as a group thinkspace. I think in general that must be cacophonous for Tal, and none of us should be able to hear anything except what Tal thinks at us, so whilst I'm completely happy for Tal to talk to us telepathically, Mirriana will be responding verbally so everyone can hear, unless she has something to say to Tal privately.

Slightly muddied in that Mirriana does actually have some telepathic ability of her own now (with lawful good outsiders only), and Merrick also has his own telepathy, but that still wouldn't be fully inclusive so I don't intend to rely on it.

We should still be able to use it to relay stealthy messages, but they should be simple and cumbersome. We shouldn't be using it for conversation or combat coordination. Just my 2¢ anyway.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Technically, it was never supposed to be a group think space, as Tal’s telepathy doesn’t work like that, by RAW. Instead, he would need to send messages from A to B and from B back to A, etc.

In practice, however, this would be cumbersome: Mir sends a message to Tal for Merrick, Tal sends the message to Merrick, Merrick responds to Tal, Tal . . .

And not just cumbersome: it makes things all-about-Tal-all-the-time, which ugh! I have always preferred being a support character, not the main focus. So I was more than happy to let it go as it went, RAW be damned. 😅

As for Tal, himself, he does communicate predominantly by telepathy, for obvious reasons. (The rest of you refuse to learn bark-and-growl.) Verbalizing is a challenge, and he must constantly remind himself to use his voice when in human form.
    Custom Class

30. - Top - End - #210

When bound to Zceryll, Merrick has minsight and one-to-one telepathy, so we could do a as-needed communique channel if not an eternal internal Zoom Meeting.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2021-01-14 at 12:49 PM.