New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Escaping a Dead Magic Plane and similar

Quote Originally Posted by Brackenlord View Post
    If you have acess to Invoke Magic my favorite method is targetting yourself with Shadow Well from Spell Compendium, it is a 4th level Illusion that transports one creature to a pocket realm in the Plane of Shadow for 1 round/level, it specifically allows scape within the duration with Plane Shift or similar.
    Is there not a clause somewhere stating that spells and effects that interact with the plane of shadow or the ethereal plane only function on the material plane, since those planes are all coexistent? You cannot, for example, ethereal jaunt or shadow walk while on the outer planes?

Fake Edit: Ah, here it is, page 151 of the DMG: "The Outer Planes are coexistent with the Astral Plane. They are separate from the Ethereal Plane and the Plane of Shadow, so certain spells (ethereal jaunt, for example) aren’t available to a caster on the Outer Planes."

So it would depend on where this dead magic plane is located in the cosmology, shadow well may not be usable.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Is there not a clause somewhere stating that spells and effects that interact with the plane of shadow or the ethereal plane only function on the material plane, since those planes are all coexistent? You cannot, for example, ethereal jaunt or shadow walk while on the outer planes?

Fake Edit: Ah, here it is, page 151 of the DMG: "The Outer Planes are coexistent with the Astral Plane. They are separate from the Ethereal Plane and the Plane of Shadow, so certain spells (ethereal jaunt, for example) aren’t available to a caster on the Outer Planes."

So it would depend on where this dead magic plane is located in the cosmology, shadow well may not be usable.
    MotP expands upon this, giving a list of "Planar Spells" on p. 32 and more specifically a list of spells that don't work if there's no plane of shadow on p. 62.

Shadow Well is not on that list, and since MotP was published September 2001 while Shadow Well first appeared in Magic of Faerun in August 2001, it not being mentioned could be seen as a RAW argument that the spell thus not falls under this rule.

On a more practical/serious note, the spirit of the rule is to address issues with spells like Blink, Ethreal Jaunt and Shadow walk; i.e. spells that rely on you being on a coterminous plane to the one in question to adjucate tactical and strategic distance. Shadow Well does not fit that bill, and there's a bunch of other stuff that makes it unlikely that it should be contrained by this.

First, rather than using the shadow proper, it creates a "gateway" to a "pocket realm" that happens to be nestled in the shadow much like a lot of demiplanes are nestled in the ethreal. So a) if "pocket realm" is to be taken interchangeable to Demiplane (supported by teleport not being a valid escape option), it is technically not the plane of shadow, and b) the Spell creates an actual "gateway" to the plane, which is something that magic can do regardless of coterminous/coexistent-ness.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    MotP expands upon this, giving a list of "Planar Spells" on p. 32 and more specifically a list of spells that don't work if there's no plane of shadow on p. 62.

Shadow Well is not on that list, and since MotP was published September 2001 while Shadow Well first appeared in Magic of Faerun in August 2001, it not being mentioned could be seen as a RAW argument that the spell thus not falls under this rule.

On a more practical/serious note, the spirit of the rule is to address issues with spells like Blink, Ethreal Jaunt and Shadow walk; i.e. spells that rely on you being on a coterminous plane to the one in question to adjucate tactical and strategic distance. Shadow Well does not fit that bill, and there's a bunch of other stuff that makes it unlikely that it should be contrained by this.

First, rather than using the shadow proper, it creates a "gateway" to a "pocket realm" that happens to be nestled in the shadow much like a lot of demiplanes are nestled in the ethreal. So a) if "pocket realm" is to be taken interchangeable to Demiplane (supported by teleport not being a valid escape option), it is technically not the plane of shadow, and b) the Spell creates an actual "gateway" to the plane, which is something that magic can do regardless of coterminous/coexistent-ness.
    Hmm, I can see that as a fair argument.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.