New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: The Mandalorian Season 2

Honestly coming with no clone wars knowledge I figured Bo would end up as an enemy when she literally pulls a Darth Vader on her first deal with Mando.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yes. Guy infights, and immediately gets shut down and told that is not how Mandalorians should act. I agree that this is how it went down.
    Perhaps it's a comment on the effectiveness of their ability to stop separatism and infighting, in spite of the ideal?

At the very least, it seems "This Is The Way" is more than a bit ironic, considering there does not appear to be one Way; i.e. everyone thinks their way is The Way.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #783
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Peelee
    I wouldn't have been surprised if Cara Dune didn't show on The Mandalorian again, but I felt fairly safe guessing she was going to headline Rangers of the New Republic. Still may with a recast, of course.
    Just to follow up on this, Disney has now confirmed that the character of Cara Dune will not be recast and will not be appearing in Rangers of the New Republic.

Also, apparently Hasbro will not be producing any more Cara Dune action figures.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Also, apparently Hasbro will not be producing any more Cara Dune action figures.
    Which apparently are now flying off the shelves?

Honestly, she was fun to watch but I've never felt the Caracter (yes, I did that) particularly enriched the SW world, and as an actress... other than for having a jaw you could crack nuts with an imposing figure and some fairly competent action scenes, can't remember a single time where her acting moved me in any particular way. No compelling performances that I can think of. All in all a fairly forgettable character, really not worth all the fuss that her removal has caused (other than for the political posturing that surrounds it, which we won't be discussing here).
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    Which apparently are now flying off the shelves?
    That's just collector's market opportunism. The figures are being bought up by resellers who are betting that the number of people in the future who want a complete set of black line figures for The Mandalorian is larger than the currently extant supply. It would happen if they discontinued the sale of any significant character's figure unexpectedly for any reason.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    That's just collector's market opportunism. The figures are being bought up by resellers who are betting that the number of people in the future who want a complete set of black line figures for The Mandalorian is larger than the currently extant supply. It would happen if they discontinued the sale of any significant character's figure unexpectedly for any reason.
    I think if you rely solely on the collector market for your sales, you failed as a toy manufacturer.

I mean, isn't what sunk the comic industry in the 90s? Overreliance on collectors providing the demand?

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by dehro
    Honestly, she was fun to watch but I've never felt the Caracter….
    Certainly not the most nuanced acting, but I enjoyed the character nonetheless. She was a good reminder that the Rebellion took all types, and that they needed more than fighter jocks and scruffy scoundrels to effectively confront the Empire.

I for one will certainly miss her. I wouldn’t be surprised if Rangers is either delayed or quietly cancelled.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    I think if you rely solely on the collector market for your sales, you failed as a toy manufacturer.

I mean, isn't what sunk the comic industry in the 90s? Overreliance on collectors providing the demand?
    They're not relying solely on that though. Not even dying on it, I'd say. The toys were out before she was fired. After she was fired, they just began selling out because of speculators.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Not really, a lot of it is just support for Carrano and showing that support however they can. From canceling Disney+ (of which there have been many) to physically showing Hasbro/Disney 'Hey, we want more Cara Dune' by buying her merchandise. That coupled with the fact no more will be made and there's probably people thinking this might be their last chance to get Cara Dune in general.

Honestly, the entire thing is a hot mess but at least Disney isn't so tactless as to try and recast her and expect Favereu or the fans to just accept that fact.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

10. - Top - End - #790

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Honestly, the entire thing is a hot mess but at least Disney isn't so tactless as to try and recast her and expect Favereu or the fans to just accept that fact.
    How would recasting Cara Dune be tactless?

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

How would recasting Cara Dune be tactless?
    I don't understand the stigma people have around recasting
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Disney doesn't need to recast Cara Dune. She's was so arrogant and annoying anyway.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

13. - Top - End - #793
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

I liked Psyren's earlier suggestion. Frankie Adams could show up as her sister Lara Dune and I'd have 0 problems with that.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just give the lead role to Olyphant, talent wise and charisma wise he wipes the floor with Gina Carano anyways. But if they just put together a good ensamble cast with a good script, the show will have a proper shot at being good.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

15. - Top - End - #795

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Just give the lead role to Olyphant, talent wise and charisma wise he wipes the floor with Gina Carano anyways. But if they just put together a good ensamble cast with a good script, the show will have a proper shot at being good.
    I'm not saying otherwise, I just don't get the resentment at the possibility of recasting Cara Dune. For example, Donald Glover knocked it out of the park as Lando.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not saying otherwise, I just don't get the resentment at the possibility of recasting Cara Dune. For example, Donald Glover knocked it out of the park as Lando.
    I think the difference there is that Lando was recasted because Billy Dee Williams is physically unable to play a young Lando. Meanwhile firing Carano was a reaction to the actress' actions so recasting her can come off as more disrespectful in a "this never happened" way.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-02-20 at 08:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #797

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I think the difference there is that Lando was recasted because Billy Dee Williams is physically unable to play a young Lando. Meanwhile firing Carano was a reaction to the actress' actions so recasting her can come off as more disrespectful in a "this never happened" way.
    That seems less "this never happened" than Hayden Christenson actually replacing Sebastian Shaw in ROTJ. Or Temuera Morrison replacing Jason Wingreen as the voice of Boba Fett. And unless they actually went back and replaced her with the recast actress, that claim would fall on its face regardless.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

That seems less "this never happened" than Hayden Christenson actually replacing Sebastian Shaw in ROTJ. Or Temuera Morrison replacing Jason Wingreen as the voice of Boba Fett. And unless they actually went back and replaced her with the recast actress, that claim would fall on its face regardless.
    Oh, I agree.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ettin in the Playground

That seems less "this never happened" than Hayden Christenson actually replacing Sebastian Shaw in ROTJ.
    Which shouldn't have happened - but for different reasons.

I think the issue with recasting Cara Dune is that they choose to get rid of her for non-Mandalorian items, if she had demanded more money and they said 'no' and she left I think most would have little issue with recasting, similiarly if she merely went onto a different job.

In this case they fired/removed her for personal items unrelated to the show so recasting her effectively links two unrelated things together and reminds you of that every time she is onscreen (I suppose they could go with a Tarkin on it so nobody noticed - that might be ok, everyone loved that).

Also as mentioned I don't think the character added a lot to the show and so there is no reason to recast her - she can return to being a marshall in the outer rim and have no dealing with the Mandalorian conflict.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Which shouldn't have happened - but for different reasons.

I think the issue with recasting Cara Dune is that they choose to get rid of her for non-Mandalorian items, if she had demanded more money and they said 'no' and she left I think most would have little issue with recasting, similiarly if she merely went onto a different job.

In this case they fired/removed her for personal items unrelated to the show so recasting her effectively links two unrelated things together and reminds you of that every time she is onscreen (I suppose they could go with a Tarkin on it so nobody noticed - that might be ok, everyone loved that).

Also as mentioned I don't think the character added a lot to the show and so there is no reason to recast her - she can return to being a marshall in the outer rim and have no dealing with the Mandalorian conflict.
    Going with a digital recreation of an actor you fired but is otherwise very much alive is such an unethical and bad move.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently they've been looking for an excuse to fire her, unfortunately they lied about the tweet she retweeted.
    And then made things worse by doing so via social media instead of leaving it until after their investors meeting and simply not renewing her contract.

As it stands its looking more like Rangers of the New Republic might not happen as whoever did the firing didn't do so properly.

Some reports suggest its Favreau who refused to recast her though that still needs to be confirmed.

Frankly they're idiots and should have left this well enough alone, but the hiatus because of the Book of Boba Fett that's allowing Pedro Pascal to play Joel in The Last of Us was taken advantage of and by all rights Disney should have prevented that stupidity before it resulted in the current situation.

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2021-02-20 at 02:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Disney doesn't need to recast Cara Dune. She's was so arrogant and annoying anyway.
    I agree that she doesn't need recast, though for different reasons.

The story is at a good break point. There's no need for her to show up in the next season (unless they've already filmed her in it, but that's a different issue). She can simply have "gone back to being a marshall" or "moved on to other things". Doesn't really matter. Her role was "mando's big gun friend". Mando can get new "big gun friends". Cara Dune is not so integral to the story she cannot simply be removed from it.

One of the better elements of the Mandalorian is a rather interchangeable cast of interesting "side characters". The show would be mistaken IMO, to become too reliant on a specific recurring set of them.

Maybe Bo's fiesty female buddy will have to team up with the Mando for *reasons*, introducing a new kick-butt female secondary character for the next story arc, while they both learn a little about each other and different ways of being a Mando while we the viewers get treated to learning about another cool new character.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

23. - Top - End - #803

Imean, I agree that the character doesn't need to be recast. I just think that she very easily could be recast, of she was intended to be one of the headliners in RotNR, for example. If they already had plans for Cara Dune, those plans don't need to be scrapped simply because they fired the actress.

That said, if RotNR has Cobb Vanth headlining then I'm all aboard, especially if the writing is consistent with The Mandalorian.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
    I agree that she doesn't need recast, though for different reasons.

The story is at a good break point. There's no need for her to show up in the next season (unless they've already filmed her in it, but that's a different issue). She can simply have "gone back to being a marshall" or "moved on to other things". Doesn't really matter. Her role was "mando's big gun friend". Mando can get new "big gun friends". Cara Dune is not so integral to the story she cannot simply be removed from it.

One of the better elements of the Mandalorian is a rather interchangeable cast of interesting "side characters". The show would be mistaken IMO, to become too reliant on a specific recurring set of them.

Maybe Bo's fiesty female buddy will have to team up with the Mando for *reasons*, introducing a new kick-butt female secondary character for the next story arc, while they both learn a little about each other and different ways of being a Mando while we the viewers get treated to learning about another cool new character.
    These are very good reasons.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

25. - Top - End - #805

From canceling Disney+ (of which there have been many)
    How do you define "many?" Are there numbers published on this?

<---- fan who would accept it instantly

In any event, looks like they're not recasting the character, so it's pretty moot.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #806
    Pixie in the Playground

Im looking forward to the Boba Fett show

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

I have generally enjoyed this show, and I hope the actresses departure under unfortunate circumstances won't throw things off much.

I'm less optimistic about the scad of additional shows they green lit. It feels a bit like throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks. They had a whole bunch of offshoot movie ideas until Solo bombed, right? Feels like the same thing.

Announcements with a basic graphic and no more development is cheap, odds are good that many will be scrapped with little more work put in, and I'm not sure that Disney fully understands how to make good Star Wars content. Sure, this one's good, but the Star Wars history is mixed at best, and Disney+ is honestly pretty short on quality, new content. They have this, they've got Wandavision, and otherwise, they rely a great deal on folks rewatching variants on old content. Even beyond the Mulan flop, the strategy of just remaking things endlessly is...well, very unorginal.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Bugbear in the Playground

My worry moving forward is that the series will rely on derivative inertia rather than creating original content and characters like it did in the first season. More Baby Yoda, Kuil and that droid, and less Bo Katan, Boba Fett and Luke Skywalker. With the SWCU on the horizon, I feel that at some point the fandom will be less famined for just any SW content and will start expecting real original content, rather than funneling plotlines and characters from previous shows.

If there was a TV series that took place in Middle Earth after the War of the Ring, I would want it to be exploring new parts of the lore and give us more of that world. I would not want a main character that's another eccentric hobbit and he keeps coming across Legolas in one episode, and Faramir on another one, and at the season finale Gandalf shows up at the last minute to save the day. But that's me.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

29. - Top - End - #809
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    I'm less optimistic about the scad of additional shows they green lit. It feels a bit like throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks. They had a whole bunch of offshoot movie ideas until Solo bombed, right? Feels like the same thing.

Announcements with a basic graphic and no more development is cheap, odds are good that many will be scrapped with little more work put in, and I'm not sure that Disney fully understands how to make good Star Wars content. Sure, this one's good, but the Star Wars history is mixed at best, and Disney+ is honestly pretty short on quality, new content. They have this, they've got Wandavision, and otherwise, they rely a great deal on folks rewatching variants on old content. Even beyond the Mulan flop, the strategy of just remaking things endlessly is...well, very unorginal.
    There's basically two requirements to make a good Star Wars product. The ability to make a good show/movie/comic/novel generally and the ability to understand Star Wars well enough to get the feel of the universe. In the case of The Mandalorian Jon Favreau supplies the former and Dave Filoni supplies the latter.

Filoni is taking on a growing role in Lucasfilm's live-action shows (he's long been top dog in the animation zone) and is credited as executive producer on a number of the forthcoming offerings including Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka, and Rangers. So long as Filoni's riding herd on shows like these, I retain confidence that they'll feel appropriately Star Wars. Now that doesn't mean they'll be good, the various arcs of TCW were highly varied in quality and offered some real duds, and Rebels was a decidedly bleh show in the early going before gradually becoming more palatable.

So the real question is whether they can find enough talented writers and directors to handle the increased Star Wars workload. Mandalorian was able to bring in an awful lot of very talented people for relatively small roles, but more shows means you're spreading things thin unless overall supply can be increased. That should be doable, it really seems like a huge chunk of Hollywood is fond or Star Wars generally and wants a chance to be a part of it (something that makes sense demographically), and Disney seems to be willing to spend money on Disney+ shows out of a commitment to survive the Streaming Wars which certainly helps to attract talent, but at some point they'll swing and miss on something.

That said, making a bad Star Wars show isn't any sort of critical failure. Star Wars has produced comics, books, and games for decades now that run the gamut from great to mediocre to unbelievably awful. If the same thing happens with TV that's not a big deal, especially if they keep the initial orders small and cancel quickly when something doesn't work. The ST movies had very specific issues because the stakes were unbelievably high, something that really isn't true of any given TV show. If Book of Boba Fett doesn't work out, well, it means no Boba Fett stories for a few years, that's all.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

30. - Top - End - #810

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    My worry moving forward is that the series will rely on derivative inertia rather than creating original content and characters like it did in the first season. More Baby Yoda, Kuil and that droid, and less Bo Katan, Boba Fett and Luke Skywalker. With the SWCU on the horizon, I feel that at some point the fandom will be less famined for just any SW content and will start expecting real original content, rather than funneling plotlines and characters from previous shows.

If there was a TV series that took place in Middle Earth after the War of the Ring, I would want it to be exploring new parts of the lore and give us more of that world. I would not want a main character that's another eccentric hobbit and he keeps coming across Legolas in one episode, and Faramir on another one, and at the season finale Gandalf shows up at the last minute to save the day. But that's me.
    This is why I'm optimistic about Rian Johnson's trilogy. Of all the modern SW creators, he seemed the most interested in charting a new course for Star Wars rather than wallowing in its past glory.

This isn't to say that Mandalorian didn't also give us cool new stuff to chew on, but it definitely had that "so what" midquel feel to it, vibes I am also getting from the Boba Fett spinoff.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy