Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Mandalorian Season 2

That's another thing that someone else touched on but I felt could be refined into a more direct point...

Spoiler
    Show
    In regards to "why didn't they just get off the bridge"... where would they go? Even if they could get to escape pods, that just means they're in an even less defendable position, while the darktroopers have thrusters on their soles so they can just follow the escape pods out into space and destroy them there. That is absolutely not an ideal solution.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Escape Pods
    Show
    Agreed, being stuck in the escape pods would have been a far worse situation.

And we know this for a fact, because of S1:E2 of Clone Wars, in which clone survivors of the Malevolence are hunted down in the wreckage by battle droids, who are humming and tapping their metal fingers as they break open the escape pods and vent the clones into space.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: Escapes
    Show

Raises an interesting question of whether they would cut open a pod with Gideon inside.

But that's why you call Boba for pickup first. They're on the bridge, they have communications equipment.

On the other hand was they don't necessarily know the Darktroopers can break down the blast doors.

They had one Darksaber, one beskar spear, and three people in Mandalorian armour. Getting bottled up in a small space is probably the worst tactic available.

Those Clonetroopers only lived that long because they abandoned ship in the first place, not a great example.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, I'm very late to the party with the Mandalorian as I really don't watch tv at all these days. With the way the internet exploded after the S2 finale I finally motivated myself to watch it. For context, I'm a huge geek but never been a serious SW fan. I enjoy the world but haven't followed any of the stuff after the prequels because frankly, they were mediocre at best and none of the later stuff piqued my interest at all.

Overall impression, the Mandalorian was okay. I don't regret having spent the time to watch it, but it certainly didn't thrill me. It felt very much like a knockoff Firefly that relied on muppets and fandom instead of strong story and great characters. I think some of my issues are innate to the SW feel, the number of times fully armored troopers are knocked out/taken out of the fight by being punched or thrown to the ground was really grating.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yet mando got his helmet literally pounded into the wall by a dark trooper but wasn't even significantly staggered by it?
    The "physics" or rather lack thereof bothered me more than once.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nanny droid exploding with enough force to wipe out the trooper squad while standing in lava, but doesn't throw any lava onto the boat 30 feet behind him? Wut?
    I was more than willing to just overlook that and enjoy it for what it was while just acknowledging that those aspects are not to my taste. Throughout the entire series it really felt like Mando suffered from... I'm not sure what to call it (there's probably a trope but I don't expose myself to enough media to bother learning all the trope stuff) action-hero-itis? Whatever it is where the character has to get beaten up or display staggering incompetence before he can be a badass. In pretty much every episode. That got old fast. Then came the S2 finale. Hoo boy.

Spoiler
    Show
    That finale was just painful. I'm sure people will label me all kinds of horrible things for even daring to think this, but the 'girl power' bit was just awful. It's overplayed, completely unneeded and felt very forced. I will admit I was often looking at my second monitor throughout the series as it just wasn't compelling enough to keep my attention full time, but what happened to the male mandalorian from the trio? Did a miss something where they explained why he was missing from the gathering when Mando went to them for help? Without that bit of information it felt like they just ignored that he ever existed because it would mess up the girl power squad. For the Record Kara Doon was probably my favorite character in the series, I just hated the forced girl squad crap.

The whole Dues Ex Machina (which was a recurring theme through the series, how many times would Mando have died without sudden precision timed rescue from others?) with Luke at the end was just horrid and unsatisfying. The Dark Troopers were awful to start with, many of the droids earlier in the series were very nimble, fluid and deadly while the DT were largely clunky and slow. I understand the inevitable implacable feeling they were trying to present, but it didn't work, at all. At any rate, while they were clunky to start with they seemed to pretty much turn into target dummies with a total of 3 articulated joints as soon as Luke came on screen.

Overall, I feel like The Mandalorian has inspired me! ... to go rewatch Firefly.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Warlawk View Post
    Overall, I feel like The Mandalorian has inspired me! ... to go rewatch Firefly.
    Given Firefly that IS an impressive feat given the state Star Wars has been in since episode 8 was released!

6. - Top - End - #696
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Finally got to watch this episode. Thankfully a friend gave me a heads up on Friday to avoid anywhere I might see spoilers since I wasn't going to be able to watch over the weekend.

Spoiler: So about that ending....
    Show
    I'm of mixed mind. When Grogu was trying to contact other Jedi a few eps ago, Luke was the elephant in the room. It would feel odd if he wasn't involved, but obviously involving him from a production standpoint is problematic.

What I'm wondering is, if Disney is going to keep poking at the Rebellion/New Republic Era, when are they just going to go ahead and recast Han, Luke and Leia?

I have to say, as much as Hamill is a great actor, he really added nothing here. With the CGI layering over him and I'm assuming digitally altering his voice, there just wasn't any room for an actual performance. And the CGI de-aging hasn't gotten any less off-putting since Rogue One and Rise of Skywalker.

Just do it Disney. Either keep OT and Near-OT projects away from the old characters and keep the focus on new corners of the galaxy or recast the Big Three. Pull the Band-Aid and be done with it.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Show
    What I'm wondering is, if Disney is going to keep poking at the Rebellion/New Republic Era, when are they just going to go ahead and recast Han
    Spoiler
    Show
    2018, apparently.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    2018, apparently.
    Spoiler: Ehhh....
    Show
    (Edit: Pun on the Actors name in the spoiler tag not intended. Not meaning to be disrespectful) When Alden Ehrenreich shows up for a Disney Plus series or a cameo in another series I'll strike him off the list. I'd be fine with him taking over the role more permanently to be sure, but I'm not sure I see him returning outside of a Solo sequel. I also didn't have Lando listed because with the upcoming series they either got Donald Glover or Billy Dee to return or they have recast that one already.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2020-12-21 at 04:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Finally got to watch this episode. Thankfully a friend gave me a heads up on Friday to avoid anywhere I might see spoilers since I wasn't going to be able to watch over the weekend.

Show
    I'm of mixed mind. When Grogu was trying to contact other Jedi a few eps ago, Luke was the elephant in the room. It would feel odd if he wasn't involved, but obviously involving him from a production standpoint is problematic.

What I'm wondering is, if Disney is going to keep poking at the Rebellion/New Republic Era, when are they just going to go ahead and recast Han, Luke and Leia?

I have to say, as much as Hamill is a great actor, he really added nothing here. With the CGI layering over him and I'm assuming digitally altering his voice, there just wasn't any room for an actual performance. And the CGI de-aging hasn't gotten any less off-putting since Rogue One and Rise of Skywalker.

Spoiler: All the cool kids are doing spoiler tags now
    Show
    The CGI de-aging can be done better and has been done better by any number of amateur deepfake attempts on youtube. Take a look, ones that people are doing up over the course of a weekend are quite impressive, and the ones where they replace Tarkin-with-deepfake Peter Cushing on Rogue One are pretty solid.

You are right, though, the problem gets down to the fact you can stick Luke's face on someone else but you can't get the facial muscles to move in sync, or at least you need more time or a better budget to make that happen. Although the performance was dead anyway; I get that Luke is now a fully focused Jedi and so a lot calmer than he was in the OT, but he came across to me as being on mood stabilisers.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Barbarian in the Playground

Now that we got the mega cameo itch scratched, hopefully season 3 can go back to being a real story-driven story and stop making the Star Wars universe feel as big as Luxembourg.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Now imagining a Rogue Squadron tv series depending on the success of the movie despite fears they might ignore the books occasionally with cameo's by Trapper Wolf & co (maybe even Poe as a kid too!).

Hopefully they'll do that to the other new series they're releasing instead!

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Relevant
    Show

Forum Wisdom

the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

So, I'd been more or less spoiled on what was going to happen in the last episode (my fault), but...

Did anyone else think the final music was weird? Like, it was a bunch of strings, instead of the more spaghetti-western feel that had been there throughout the series?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, I'd been more or less spoiled on what was going to happen in the last episode (my fault), but...

Did anyone else think the final music was weird? Like, it was a bunch of strings, instead of the more spaghetti-western feel that had been there throughout the series?
    That scene wasn't spaghetti western, though. I felt the music fit the scene.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

Spaghetti western can have all the strings they want for emotional scenes. Not everything is duel at high noon.

Forum Wisdom

I'll take that bet.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

@Warlawk

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the actual issue here is the "walk forward and shoot the bad guys dead" choreography. It's pretty stupid and it's done quite a bit. On the one hand we see the mandos use their jetpacks to ambush some troopers, and Fennec hides behind a crate. On the other hand, if any of the heroes are firing their weapon they are automatically shielded from enemy fire and don't have to use cover or other tactics.

Stuff like that is annoying but I look past it. The other big one for me is the stormtroopers wearing armor that literally protects them from nothing. Pretty stupid as well.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

In the final confrontation, when they're waiting for the bad guys, I sorta yelled at the screen "Why are none of you taking cover?" They do it so often. The stormtroopers are better at taking cover.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    In the final confrontation, when they're waiting for the bad guys, I sorta yelled at the screen "Why are none of you taking cover?" They do it so often. The stormtroopers are better at taking cover.
    Din (and possibly the other two Mandalorians) have an excuse, that armor is probably better cover than they could find anyway.

Fennec though, and especially Cara? Good grief, her weapon jams and she tries to fix it in the open while people are shooting at her? Then uses it as a club? You have a sidearm! We just saw you shoot troopers with it!